8401 Connecticut Avenue
Chevy Chase, MD 20815Neighborhood:
Bethesda / Chevy Chase
PortuguesePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.tavirarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 3016528684x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Portuguese
- Executive Chef: Duarte Rebolo
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Contact: Duarte 3016528684x
- Entertainment: Every 2 Friday of the month, sign up for the Tavira - email/list http://tavirarestaurant.com/signupform.html
A word from Tavira
Duarte Rebolo was born in Madeira Island, Madeira, a popular European tourist spot in the Atlantic Ocean. His career in restaurant service began there and so far has spanned about 20 years. Tavira restaurant opened its doors in November of 1999. The name Tavira comes from a beautiful place in Portugal. Since opening Tavira has been included in Washingtonian Magazine's 100 Very Best Restaurants and rated very good to excellent by Zagat. Tavira has also been mentioned nationally in Gourmet Magazine, Bethesda Magazine and received favorable reviews from The Washington Post, Washington Times, The Gazette, Washington Diplomat and other local newspapers. Duarte's professionalism, attention to detail and hard work will make your dining experience a delightful virtual escape to Portugal.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Tavira reviews from OpenTable diners
72 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (40)neighborhood gem (38)romantic (30)fit for foodies (29)notable wine list (13)good for groups (8)great for lunch (8)kid-friendly (3)great for brunch (2)late-night find (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Had betterDatenightDined on 9/13/2014The food portion is very small. The food it self was ok. Had a lot better. The location is weird it's in a basement of an office building. We had fish and steak and they were small portions like I mentioned and didn't have a lot of flavor to it. I am Portuguese and I must say I was disappointed with this restaurant. The side of rice that I asked for didn't have any flavor because it was made for the sea food rice they had in the menu. So they made the rice and left the seafood part out. Leaving the rice with no taste. Staff was very nice. But overall I wouldn't go back for more.
- Pleasant DinnerGSWinMarylandDined on 9/10/2014It was a quiet Wednesday evening and the server and staff were pleasant and the food arrived quickly. My companion's dinner was quite good, mine was a bit salty for my taste. The experience was overall good.
- Great food - Wrong MenusNotaSteakhouseSteakVIPDined on 9/9/2014We haven't been here in a long time, but wanted to try it again as its where my wife and I had our 1st date. Food was still wonderful - w Mediterranean flavors - but the waiter gave us the wrong menus (dinner menus during lunchtime) which means we missed all the lunch options, ordered dishes that were a LOT more expensive than we had planned to spend for lunch, and paid higher prices than we should have. Of course we only discovered this on our way out. But I attribute this to waiter error. And again, the food was still just as wonderful as our 1st date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HollyDined on 9/6/2014Always excellent well prepared seafood and wonderful friendly service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Regional Cuisine, Tough LocationdcfoodieVIPDined on 9/3/2014A glimpse at its menu reads traditional Portugese and offers dishes to convince you to return and try something found no where in the area. Unfortunately, my group was let down by the appetizers; the shrimp was over cooked, as was the calamari. Most entrees made up for this; the cornish hen with piri piri was good, as was the dorade. One in our group ordered the monkfish, which I personally found to be mealy, but she enjoyed. The wine menu offered a variety of regions, and the menu kept to low cost of Portugese wines. The service, while missing in action at times, was professional and surprisingly well spoken. The location provides for plenty of parking, but the restaurant and its decor are suspended in a very dated office building planted.Special Features:
- Old EuropeanneVIPDined on 9/3/2014I love the ambiance of Tavira's with fine china and beautifully set table. Our salads were delicious and fresh and dorado was good. Sabayon was superb.Special Features:
- Interesting Menu / ValueLeelynVIPDined on 8/29/2014Great portuguese menu. Terrific price fixe value. The soups were outstanding.Special Features:
- A hidden gemJM758VIPDined on 8/26/2014Not in a great location but don't judge Tavira by the outside. Inside, it is a beautiful little restaurant with amazing food, quality service, and romantic ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet, good mealoliveDined on 8/22/2014We like Tavira for spur-of-the-moment quiet dinners out. It's a crystal & linen venue without being pretentious; Business casual attire is suitable. We're not wine 'connoisseurs' but have always liked what we tried. The menu is creative, well-prepared and dishes attractively presented;we are frequently attracted to one of the evening's specials. Offerings range from veggie to fish, fowl and meats; We are frequently attracted to one of the evening's specials. Unlike some nice restaurants it is also adequately lit (neither glaring fluorescents, nor shadowy candlelight), a personal preference. It's small and most of the tables are for 2 or 4, but they have a couple private rooms which will accommodate small groups of, maybe, 10.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great European dining experiencePaulDined on 8/15/2014Portuguese cuisine. Outstanding food, service, and atmosphere. Easy parking. The four of us talked for about an hour after we had finished eating, but the restaurant staff didn't even hint we needed to leave.Special Features:
- Excellent food, 2-b-desired locatnOHBoyVIPDined on 8/14/2014The clam appetizer, veal & seafood pasta entree are some of the best tasting - very flavorful not too salty. The warm, chewy w crunchy crust bread, OMG can feed up on those! Be aware! So good. The lower level windowless location in an office building is less ideal for a restaurant/chef with such great caliber.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatgapakeDined on 8/9/2014We have been going to Tavira for over 20 years and the food is always good. There are not too many Portugese restaurants in the area so it is always a treat. They have a great menu but we seem to always get something off the Specials for the Day. The fish dishes cannot be beat.Special Features:
- Outstandingfoodlover123Dined on 8/9/2014We enjoyed every minute. It is a beautiful restaurant to dine in and the atmosphere is wonderful. We loved the food and will definitely return.Special Features:
- Nothing much to write aboutMabelDodgeDined on 8/7/2014The service was excellent, but then we were one of three tables that night. The gazpacho was wonderful; the rest of the meal just OK. I think maybe the cook has too heavy a hand with the fish or else would benefit from fresh rather than frozen fish.
- 40th wedding anni. with familyterryDined on 8/2/2014Wonderful relaxing evening the food was excellant and we always love the sherry at the end of the mealSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/28/2014We went early on a Monday evening, purposely. Asked to be seated in a quiet spot because of hearing problems and were cheerfully accommodated. I'd describe the ambience as comfortable and warm. My daughter was disappointed that the several cod dishes were unavailable because a party of twenty at the lunch hour had consumed it all. I happily enjoyed the liver and onions that I was after. Service was fine. We had a good time and would go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chevy Chase SecretsbmcreatDined on 7/27/2014Tavira is not visible from the street but it is a hidden gem in the BF Saul building on Connecticut Ave in Chevy Chase, MD. It is a very nice place for a special visit. Food was very good and you can easily converse with anyone at your table. It is a worthwhile outing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Table for 6DivesDiningAdventuresDined on 7/26/2014Went out for dinner Saturday. Originally a party of 4... had to make last minute additions to our reservation. Open Table made that very simple. Some members of our party started with glasses of wine along with a couple of orders of the grilled calamari appetizer special, which was really delicious (a nice char/grilled flavor) and the Caldo Verde (a potato-based, green soup). The wine list is extensive and by the glass/bottle. 3 members of our dinner party had the Piri piri cornish hen, they expressed that ,though spicy, it was really good. 2 members had the monk fish, DELICIOUS!! I had the veal, also very good. For dessert we shared 5 of their desserts: the flan, chocolate mousse, bread pudding, fried milk and creme brulee. Great dinner!Special Features:
- Even better nowsequoiaVIPDined on 7/26/2014This is my second dinner at Tavira. The first was 7-8 years ago. It was good then. It was very good now. The octopus appetizer was excellent. The artichoke and squid appetizers were good. The lamb shank was very good but the Piri Piri chicken was not tender and not very good. Service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as alwaysJessicaDined on 7/25/2014I don't understand why Taviea isn't packed every day. The food is excellent and accurately reflects Portuguese cuisine. They do right by seafood, and the device is attentive but not overwhelming. The place is pretty in a slightly old-fashioned way. Ok, so it is in the basement of a nondescript office building far from the culinary centers and hot spots. That shouldn't stop you unless you're more interested in scene than food.Special Features:
- Wonderful find!friendofGusDined on 7/20/2014We've lived near Taviar for many years but never thought to go there. Finally went on a whim and were pleasantly surprised. The Portugese food was delicious, the waiters attentive, and the ambience delightful - considering that it is a restaurant in a basement.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'm impressed every time.melillobmDined on 7/18/2014Every time I eat at Tavira I ask myself why I don't come there more often. The food is amazing. I haven't been disappointed, ever. I highly recommend the beef medallions. Friends I take there rave about the food as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/13/2014My dinner experience was excellent. We certainly plan to come back :)Special Features:
- Great Service and Great FoodJojoDined on 7/11/2014We had an excellent dinner at Tavira last Friday night. Both the food and the service went well beyond even our high expectations. It is a Portuguese restaurant and the menu is delightful. I have rarely had more attentive service. And to cap it all, there was a great 3 member music ensemble that provided lively instrumental and vocal talent. We will be sure to eat there again soon.Special Features:
- Disappointing Main CoursesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/8/2014Good bread, tasty desserts, a pleasant ambience, and very good service, but the main courses were disappointing. The fish (cod) was bony. And the chicken in hot sauce, though tasty, was scrawny and bony as well.Special Features:
- Food was okaylsawVIPDined on 6/21/2014We were looking for a spot close to Rockville because we were going to a play up that way. We chose this because it was Portuguese, which isn't something we get often. It's in a strange location. Not close to anything else and in a bank building that isn't very attractive. The inside is better. The service was excellent. Our waiter, very friendly and helpful. The food was good, but not amazing. One of the steaks we got (the ribeye) was very charred. I liked it, but everyone else at the table said it tasted burned. The NY Strip was much better, said they. I got the Hen Piri Piri, which was good (not really that spicy) - but again, nothing to go back for really. The duck special was the same - good, but not amazing.
- AmuseboucheDined on 6/15/2014We really enjoyed the fish we had for dinner at Tavira. The service was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Portuguese gem in Chevy ChaseDRBMHDDined on 6/15/2014I love this restaurant..owner, staff, cuisine and ambiance are special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GoodHappyDinerDined on 6/13/2014One of our favorite restaurants. We can count on very good food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic and deliciousNikkigeeDined on 5/31/2014The food, wine, and service here is fantastic. Authentic and delicious Portuguese food in a quiet and classic/old-fashioned atmosphere. Tavira is also one of my favorite places for seafood in this area, as well, as they have a great selection between the standard menu and specials. Haven't found many restaurants like this in the DC area, and it's a welcome change! The location might seem odd, but the food and service make me a repeat customer.Special Features:
- Excellent for lunchgoodeatsDined on 5/30/2014Extensive menu, great food and good service. It never seems to be crowded so is quiet enough you can carry on a conversation with your tablemates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good vibesSophieDined on 5/28/2014I have dined at Tavira on several occasions and have always enjoyed it. The menu is ample and whatever I have chosen has been well-prepared. The restaurant is very attractive and the service good. I shall return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/27/2014Lunch on a weekday. 11.45. The place was completely empty. At noon two more people arrived. Our server was condescending to the elderly lady who was with us. He rushed us by picking up all le the silverware while some of us were finishing our main dishes. All in all, a very negative experience. If nothing else, the waiters need to be properly trained.
- outstandingljbarDined on 5/22/2014Came here for a graduation dinner. Food was excellent. Grilled calamari was a favorite. Loved the pimento salad and the steak. Our waiter Pepe was informative and professional. We will return if we are in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 360 reviews are from the Tavira reviews archive.
- Lost in TranslationOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/17/2014I must note that our previous experience at Tavira was EXCELLENT. This trip however left something to be desired. Part of that was my error in ordering the cornish hen in a piri piri sauce. It is impossible to maintain good table etiquette while eating those suckers. Therefore, I requested that the remains on my plate be wrapped up so that I might take it home and consume it like a wild beast in private. The busboy did not speak a speck of English and he threw it out. Husband had the swordfish and says it was excellent. I however left hungry. They did re-fire another 1/2 hen that I took home...kuddos to the restaurant for that.Special Features:
- First visitOctDinerDined on 5/13/2014I don't know how we didn't know about Tavira before but we'll be back. Superb Portuguese food, well prepared, well seasoned and delicious. The location is pretty obscure but it's worth seeking out - just inside the Beltway on Connecticut Ave, in the lower level of a generic office building. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- better than 4 starsstoveovenVIPDined on 5/13/2014Ok, this place was a little difficult to find but worth it. There were four in our party and 3 out of the 4 thought the food was fantastic. Unfortunately the last member of our group was not a fan. That is why I cant give it a five star rating. I had two specials the calamari and the dorado. Both were excellent, well prepared flavorful and healthy. The relatively decent prices for wine made the experience that more special as we could easily afford to choose a very nice selection to accompany our meal without breaking the bank. I would definitely recommend this place and will be back soon on my own.Special Features:
- Mixed ReveiwsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/11/2014The waist staff was very attentive, although it seemed our table busser was new and did not know the best times to step in. In our party of 5 two of us loved our dishes (the beef medallions were spectacular), two thought it was ok, and one did not like theirs. Overall we had a good time and enjoyed the atmosphere.Special Features:
- Authentic Portuguese RestaurantJBKROOSTERDined on 5/11/2014This is a great restaurant with fine Portuguese dishes. The service is top notch. I recommend the fish dishes and the duck. As good as it gets!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great All AroundDCFabGirlDined on 5/11/2014I took my family (group of six) for Mother's Day after reviewing all the review on OpenTable. Our experience was very similar to all the positive reviews here. Our overall experience was very pleasant with the staff (very attentive and knowledgeable) and especially food. I ordered the Brozini fish, day's special which was amazingly delicious with a well balanced taste! Plus dish ingredients was superb and fresh. We were surprised by its freshness for a restaurant which is tucked in a basement of an office building! I highly recommend Tavira as you will be pleased by your experience.Special Features: