2196 Cheshire Bridge Road NE
Atlanta, GA 30324Neighborhood:
GreekPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.tavernaplakaatlanta.com/
- Phone: 4046362284x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm;
Friday and Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Greek
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Pick up only.
- Private Party Facilities: Taverna Plaka is delighted to work with you in creating a signature event that will surpass your expectations.
- Private Party Contact: Scott 4046362284x
- Entertainment: Monday through Sunday we showcase Atlanta's best belly dance performers starting at 7:30 pm.
Party with seductive European/Middle eastern beats 8:30pm-2:30am on Friday and Saturday
Friday nights: Salsa night starts at 9 pm
Sunday nights: Enjoy Tango lessons
A word from Taverna Plaka
Taverna Plaka - where you are invited to join in the Plaka tradition of plate sharing & the celebration of life, of love & the pursuit of simple pleasures. Feast on a variety of Mézé & drink to Dionysus finest!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Taverna Plaka reviews from OpenTable diners
18 reviews since April 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (13)special occasion (10)great for outdoor dining (9)fit for foodies (6)neighborhood gem (5)hot spot (4)romantic (3)vibrant bar scene (3)notable wine list (1)scenic view (1)kid-friendly (1)great for brunch (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- fun and unique!triplecherubVIPDined on 8/2/2014We went to this restaurant as a family group of 10 this past Saturday night. The experience was fun, lively and lighthearted! There were 2 belly dancers, great music, and lots of napkins thrown around as "OPA'S" continued through the dinner. The food and service was great! The place was packed and yet there was no delays in service whatsoever. Surprising that with all the goings on in the restaurant that the food was delicious, hot and well presented. We loved it and will be returning! Highly recommended even a special event like a birthday, bachelor/bachelorette or get together!Special Features:
- Birthday dinner July 26thOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/26/2014Smashing the chickpeas to make your own hummus was nice. Calimari was tasty and crisp. Rest if main course was good but nothing special. Wine was mediocre. Belly dancers made the evening special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for larger groupssweettDined on 7/12/2014I had an anniversary party here. We had a group of 14. Our waitress was great! She remembered or orders and paid the proper amount of attention to us. About half of my party didn't really like the food- the lamb to be exact. Maybe we just weren't Greek food fans. I would go again and try something else like chicken or salmon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and delicious!!LYTSOUTDined on 7/11/2014Outstanding Greek food, excellent service, and tons of fun complete with belly dancers (who encourage you to get up and dance with them, although they're very respectful if you decline). Expect loud music, servers and bartenders yelling "OPA!!!" while throwing stacks of cocktail napkins in the air like confetti... even some people dancing on the tables. Reasonably kid-friendly (but not over run by kids) and great for out of town guests who have never seen a high energy Greek restaurant. Definitely NOT a quiet romantic date spotSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- as alwaysDblazzinhot613Dined on 7/5/2014Perfect for my family we had a great time and oas always service was great!Special Features:
- Very traditionalTrendyVIPDined on 6/6/2014Great Greek restaurant, food is amazing, every 20 mins a belly dancer comes out! The owner is always there, checking on the customers making sure everything was perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/13/2014I had not been to the restaurant in awhile, and sadly it was dissappointing. My two favorite things, saganaki and gyro lamb meet were not good. lamb tasted as if it were reheated in the microwave, and the saganaki was wet and not flamed properly. Spanakopitakia was almost burned. Good food items were greek salad and kabobs. Saganaki
- Good Value for the PriceChitownDined on 5/11/2014We made our Mother's Day reservation here, and was pleasantly surprised that one Mother's dinner was free. Belly dancer was friendly and took pics with us. We opted for the family style dinner nice selection great value for the $$. We will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fabulousSHYOUNGDined on 5/9/2014Service was awesome.niko gave us a wonderful greek experience.Family owned and real personable.The belly dancer was a nice thing also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/9/2014The food and service were good, but the belly dancer only came out once for maybe 5 minutes and that was it. Very disappointed as I had hyped up the entertainment to my family who were visiting from out of town.
- Great for allDblazzinhot613Dined on 5/3/2014A very fun place for all the belly dancers,the customers dancing and let's not forget the great food!Special Features:
- Authentic Greek Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/25/2014Very good Greek food, some of the best in ATL!! The atmosphere is fun and welcoming as well.Special Features:
- The following 395 reviews are from the Taverna Plaka reviews archive.
- Great Greek CuisineMelissaDined on 4/23/2014Mezedes are definitely the way to go there! You get to try a lot of great food at one time. Great service, great patio and fabulous food!Special Features:
- Our favorite Greek restaurant!JohnWVIPDined on 4/3/2014We've eaten here often and it's consistently good. If you go early, as we did this time, it's not very busy and you can enjoy a quiet meal. Go later when the crowd arrives and the energy definitely picks up. Start out with the complementary mash-it-yourself hummus served with slices of pita bread. My wife had the eggplant dish and I had the gyro plate. We suggest that you substitute the sautéed spinach or green beans for the Greek potatoes, as we did. Both are superb. Service was outstanding! If anything was disappointing, it was dessert. We had wanted to have galaktoboureco, but they had none. Instead we had baklava, which is typically very sweet because it's saturated with honey. Theirs was little more than baked filo dough.Special Features:
- I'm Greek so it's fun to haveGreekie62Dined on 3/8/2014I'm Greek so it's fun to have a place to enjoy Greek food and atmosphere! We also enjoy the belly dancer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/7/2014Fantastic Greek food. They do some traditional Greek dancing as the evening goes on, which was a lot of fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never again!!!!MadelynVIPDined on 1/25/2014I felt like I was in a bad movie. Lousy drinks, ok food if you could stomach it through the noise and bad service. I forgot why I hadn't gone back there in years. I remembered Saturday, it is an animal house on steroids.What a mess.
- Fun atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/24/2014If you like an energetic environment and the chance to dance on tables when you dine then this is the place for you! Had a blast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The restaurant was a greatJohnDined on 1/18/2014The restaurant was a great big bar with parties going on and people dancing on tables. The music was very loud. The staff did try to help us. It was just a bad choice for the kind of dinner we were hoping for.Special Features:
- Always funmlsorrelVIPDined on 1/18/2014Great spot for great food and service and a hard-to-beat atmosphere -Special Features:
- Good food but bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/12/2014Good food but bad service we have to wait more that 30 minutes for our food
- Very GoodTarbyVIPDined on 1/12/2014Had a great dinner with the meatballs and Greek Salad followed by the Moussaka and Lamb Shank with Orzo. Moussaka was awesome! Read the negative reviews and was expecting some problems. No problems and will return.Special Features:
- Great Greek food served withFredVIPDined on 12/27/2013Great Greek food served with fun. There's belly dancing , diner conga lines, lots of paper napkin throwing and the mandatory Opas!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a mustOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/26/2013I always have dinner here when I visit Atlanta. I have never been disappointed in the food, service or price. I recommend Taverna Placka as the best Greek restaurant in the Atlanta area. I have tried several and Plaka wins hands down.Special Features:
- Always goodHonestDined on 12/21/2013This unique restaurant is always on our mind when we are in the mood for good energy great food and show. We have numerously been there is small and large groups and it's always a blast. Last week however was good but salad could have been fresher. We will continue coming here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just keep lookingPoiiuyDined on 12/9/2013The food was average. The service was good. Overall, this was a big disappointment.
- Great for GroupsDamnRedheadDined on 11/30/2013We got there at 7:30 on a Saturday evening (albeit, the one after Thanksgiving) and it was pretty empty, which was unusual. The large group tables filled up quickly and the mood was very energetic, belly dancing, and napkins all over. Service was a little slow, but the food was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/22/2013You know a greek restaurant is good when 90% of the people there are Greek!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better then 1 yr agosaypla7Dined on 11/16/2013Some friends wanted to go here for a night out. We used to go a good amount several years back and LOVED IT! But they changed ownership at some point and we went two or three times and just felt like the food an service were not as good as before. We went last wk and were impressed by how good it was! Will for sure go back! The lamb dish is fab., love the hummus and fresh pita and the drinks were strong!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting placeLovesfoodVIPDined on 10/17/2013We were one of 3 tables in the whole restaurant at 730, and that was a little awkward. The belly dancer would be better once the restaurant was full, it was just a little odd with so few people. The waiter was looking for a party on Thursday night at 730, that was also a little weird! The food was good but I think the atmosphere will keep me away from this place!
- This place is AMAZING!!!ZbellVIPDined on 9/28/2013I can not express enough how amazing this place is. If you are looking for a nice quiet meal do not pick Taverna Plaka. If you want to have the most amazing energetic dinner experience ever... go to Taverna Plaka!!!! The staff is very friendly, handle large groups well, and go above and beyond to make sure you have a great time at the restaurant. Do yourself a favor and make a reservation at Taverna Plaka as soon as you can.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Let Go and Have FunnicoleselenaDined on 8/30/2013This restaurant was a great find. My friend really wanted to go to a place with bellydancers since she took classes. I learned about Taverna Plaka online and decided to try it out. First it's loud and energetic...what we were looking for. If you are going for romance, maybe not the best bet or consider asking to be seated outside on the patio. The staff was friendly and how can you not get caught up into the atmosphere and smile when people are yelling Opa! and throwing napkins. I went back with my mother a few weeks later and again, great time. This time I got to participate in the group dance as well. Notes: 1. Food is good. 2. Service can be slow so don't be in a rush 3. For the high energy activities go after 7:45ish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Want a fun celebration dinner?FoodieatheartVIPDined on 8/24/2013We went to Taverna Plaka to celebrate my daughter getting her driver's license. It is a great place to have some fun. The food is good, but not great. You go for the craziness and to celebrate which they do the best!Special Features:
- overatedDunwoodydinerVIPDined on 7/27/2013Over cooked food. Lack of sauces. Luke warm appetizers. Tired furnishings. Noisy.Special Features:
- OPA!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/20/2013This was my 2nd time at Taverna Plaka and it was equally enjoyable if not better!!! It's certainly a fun-filled atmosphere for any celebration or just simply to hangout with friends and family. The service is great! The food is ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS...one of my friends almost licked her plate!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud, food okay, no plans 2 go backOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/20/2013The music was extremely loud, granted there was a belly dancer, but the music was so loud one could hardly hear themselves talk. The server forgot about us for quite a while, and then forgot about my drink, but she did provide the drink for free to remedy that, which was nice. The food was just okay, had much better greek food at a whole lot of other restaurants.Special Features:
- Very loud and fun, bad serviceAshFoodieVIPDined on 7/12/2013I had a big group go to Taverna Plaka for my 26th birthday, and while the atmosphere was fun, and the food and drinks delicious... the service was terrible. We rarely had our server come over and get drink orders or food. He forgot to bring the wine I ordered, but then had no problem adding it to our check. Very lively, we got to dance on the tables with the belly dancer. Food was delicious; overall a great night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a blast!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/28/2013I've organized a bacherolette for my friend and we had a BLAST!!! Great ambiance, fun and very entertaining!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what I expected. Amazing!DaleDempDined on 6/1/2013The food was wonderful. I have never ever liked Humus before, but OMG, I loved everything they served. I took my entire family of 7 and ordered the family style of food and it was perfect. The up or down side can actually be the same thing in this case. If you want a quiet place to eat, stay away from Most real Greek restaurants. You can expect a loud, enjoyable, napkin flying, entertaining evening. The real events don't occur until about 7:30pm and thats when the belly dancers start. So, if you have kids, go before 730pm and you wont have an issue. Expect to have a lot of fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FUN! FUN! FUN!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/25/2013What's not to love about a restaurant that has belly dancers and lets you throw napkins everywhere? By the way, the food was AMAZING too!Special Features: