Taverna Opa - Delray Beach
270 E Atlantic Ave
Delray Beach, FL 33444Neighborhood:
GreekPrice: $30 and under
Taverna Opa - Delray Beach
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.tavernaopa.com/
- Phone: 561-303-3602x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch - 11:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner - 4:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Greek
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Taverna Opa - Delray Beach
The marriage of great Greek food & celebration is what Taverna Opa promotes. Spirits are lifted with every single napkin thrown in the air. Belly dancing is a MUST!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Taverna Opa - Delray Beach - Best Restaurants in Delray Beach ›
Taverna Opa - Delray Beach reviews from OpenTable diners
22 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (8)fit for foodies (6)neighborhood gem (6)vibrant bar scene (6)great for outdoor dining (6)hot spot (5)scenic view (3)kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (2)notable wine list (1)special occasion (1)Show More
- Going GreekfoodeeDined on 10/16/2014This is the first time I went to this location. The moussaka was the absolute best I have ever had. The pita bread was warm and they make the hummus right in front of you at the table. Different than the usual smooth one but yummy anyway. I would highly recommend this restaurant. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousMichelleVIPDined on 8/30/2014I read several reviews that were negative, but we decided to try it anyway, and I'm so glad we did. The hummus, which was served at no charge, was fantastic. The pita bread was crispy and not too greasy. The salad was huge and served with a large piece of feta cheese. The grilled octopus was exceptionally good and the Opa Chips (zucchini) was fresh and also not greasy. The chicken kebobs and the shrimp Athenia entrees were large and perfectly cooked. Not dried out like most kebobs are. The service (Jimmy) was very good. We have no complaints at all. Yes, it was a bit noisy, but that should be expected because the dining room is small and the music was playing. I'm going back for sure.Special Features:
- PoorUnhappyVIPDined on 8/27/2014Not a wonderful dining experience. Extra piped in music increased the noise level. (and the restaurant was basically empty) Wait staff was enthusiastic but our salad came with dressing on it not with dressing on the side as ordered. Was sent back. The 2 entrees came as we were in the middle of finishing our salad and had to be sent back. Some food items were over-salted. I did not request the manager but he should have been there once I told our waiter we were not happy. He did come at the end of the meal and heard our comments. He provided us with his business card but did not state why he gave it to us.
- Too noiseyLoracVIPDined on 8/7/2014The music was too loud. If you want to talk to your friends or date, go someplace else. The food was okay.Special Features:
- GNOgirlDined on 7/30/2014We had a wonderful first time experience. We would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointingdonpDined on 7/28/2014we have visited Greek restaurants everywhere - including Taverna Opa in Hollywood and Ft. Lauderdale, and were really disappointed in our dinner. The food was not even average - moussaka tasteless, salad ordinary, mussels okay, but challenging without the proper utensil. Not worth the time or the money.
- Food better than expectedFoodieBVIPDined on 7/24/2014After reading some of the other reviews, I really wasn't expecting much. In this instance the food ended up being better than expected. The service needs improvement if they expect to make it. If you have some eaters in the group, try one of the combo platters (meat or seafood) to try several items and share. The platter for 2 is enough for 3 or 4 especially if you order a salad and other starters to share. We also found the tables to be small and the chairs not too comfortable.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/6/2014Bait and switch. Web site shows a Happy Hour menu of 50% off items. When you are seated and ask about it, you are told it is only at the bar.
- Just OkdelraydinerVIPDined on 7/1/2014Out second time at Opa, was mediocre and I'm in no hurry to go back.Special Features:
- Not very impressedWendyDavisVIPDined on 6/27/2014Having a prime spot on Atlantic Ave should warrant outstanding service/atmosphere, or you'll get knocked out by the competition. They have great happy hour specials which is why I chose to go with my girlfriends. But that's where it ends. There was no hostess to check in with, so I sat at the bar to wait for the rest of my party. The bartender barely said hello and seemed pre-occupied in setting up her bar for the night. The other bartender was passing food and drinks across the bar, disrupting me...instead of walking around the bar to her high-top table. Then...my biggest pet peev... The same bartender took my payment/tip instead of the bartender that actually served me!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/26/2014Rude. Dropped wine all over clothes because rushing. Not apologetic. Although food fair. I think I have not found many waitresses simply unfriendly and nasty
- The following 30 reviews are from the Taverna Opa - Delray Beach reviews archive.
- Noise lvl was beyond extremely LOUDOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/21/2014I am sorry to say I will not be returning to Taverna Opa in Delray Beach. Although the food was adequate and the service was good, the noise level was very, very, very loud! It was so loud that I could not hold a conversation with the people I was dining with without shouting -- yes, SHOUTING!! I asked our server to turn down the volume which he did briefly and then it went up again to ear shattering LOUD! Not only was it loud it was not even Greek Music half the time. I would not recommend this restaurant to any one, and no I am not of the "elderly" population in Delray Beach. it's funny your rating system does not allow Noise Level to be properly rated when it is too loud
- DisappointingRae1VIPDined on 5/25/2014Our third visit. 1st two were very good. This time not so. Service, Ariel, excellent. Grilled calamari undercooked and rubbery, spanikopita mediocre, Greek salad very good, but only two olives! Med salad over dressed, very salty and no walnuts (they ran out). Lamb chops and salmon very good, sea bass inedible. Questionable if it was sea bass. Ambience, very annoying. 15+ teenage girls dancing on tables. Lawsuit waiting to happen. Belly dancer, excellent. Sorry to see them letting things slip.Special Features:
- OPA!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 5/10/2014Great spot on Atlantic Ave. We sat outdoors so we were able to do some good people watching! Our server Ariela was great, she had many recommendations on what was good and what we should order and she was right on target. The meal starts with some warm pita and a mortar and pestle of chick peas which she proceeded to make into hummus! That was a little different and tasty! We both had fish, I had salmon on top of a bed of grilled veggies, the salmon was delish, I only wish it was a larger piece. My husband had the whole Branzino which he declared excellent. We passed on dessert cause we were full. I would definatley return and recommend to friends. AND THERE WAS ALSO A BELLY DANCER DANCING ON THE TABLES!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RusheddineamiteVIPDined on 5/10/2014The food was OK, but the service was not really good. We received the entrees before we were finished with the appetizers. We had to ask for new plates for the entree (it was a dinner for two). It appears that they expected us to use the appetizer plates. The table was never wiped clean. The waitress asked us if we wanted the check before asking us if we wanted desert. They got us out in less than an hour even though we had appetizers, dinner and desert and as a result made sure we won't be back.
- Our new favorite hot spot!LuluVIPDined on 5/6/2014Great fresh food, friendly staff. Laila was a fabulous server & Yanni was so nice to talk to. This was our 2nd time here & everyone we are with loves it! Can't wait to do back.Special Features:
- ImprovedRae1VIPDined on 5/2/2014This was our second time at tav opa and while our first visit was good enough to bring us back, this experience was a notable improvement. Particularly regarding service. Our server, Todd, was exceptional. Attentive, friendly and knowledgeable. The complimentary hummus that comes with pita is the best I've ever eaten. Beware! It's addictive. The lamb chops were perfect. The Med salad is huge, delicious and more than one person could eat. We will return as the menu has so many inviting choices.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/24/2014Very disappointing dinner choice for the four of us. The food was certainly subpar and the overall experience was not pleasant. Would not recommend this venue.
- AwfulNeveragainVIPDined on 4/18/2014Hummus was watery, awful, so loud you can't talk, brought entrees while eating salads Air conditioning not cool so we were very uncomfortable Do yourself a favor and skip this one
- UnacceptableArlemVIPDined on 4/12/2014Many yrs. ago we visited Taverna Opa in Hollywood. Great experience, good food, fun....This was far from that last experience. The waiter was pushing items from the menu that we clearly told him we were not interested in. Upon 3 or 4 requests for more pita & humuus, never received those items. The waiter asked about the lamb chops, we complained that they were tough. Big deal, no comment. When the manager came, we told him that the quality of the food was not up to our expectations. He complained that there were too many large parties & he was busy. We told him we will not return. There was no comment.Special Features:
- Not Taverna Kyma, its sisterTheDiner1VIPDined on 4/12/2014The restaurant is a tourist trap. While the menu is the same as its sister restaurant Taverna Kyma, the quality and preparation fall far short. The humus came to the table without having been pureed. The taramasalata still had pieces of white bread visible in it, and the octopus was grilled too long and was dry. Maybe they will get their act together; I don't know. What I do know, if you are not good on Atlantic Avenue, you won't be there very long. Dancing on the table and throwing napkins is fun to watch, but it is the food that counts.Special Features:
- Large Party Nightmare!localladyDined on 4/6/2014HORRIBLE, DON'T BOTHER EVEN GOING, the entertainment is not worth the AGONY of the horrific service and par food combined with the HIGH prices and extremely LOUD Music!Special Features:
- Greek at it's bestOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 4/4/2014Fun ,delicious and overall a very good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good, typical GreekNonameVIPDined on 4/3/2014Food was good, typical Greek food. However, there was a group event that made the restaurant impossibly noisy and lessened the enjoyment of the place, and as a result, the overall rating.I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentBocaVIPDined on 3/30/2014The staff is friendly, the food is consistently excellent, especially for just opening up, and the entertainment is great! This is a great addition to the Avenue!Special Features:
- Atlantic ave.SergeDined on 3/30/2014Great atmosphere for a relaxed dinner with friends and family. All the dishes were excellent. The taramosalata and the grilled whole fish especialy well prepared. Great waiter!Special Features:
- Great foodMLBKDined on 3/30/2014Wanted a place for my carnivorous relatives as I'm more inclined to fish and seafood. This was a great treat for ALL of us. Ate outdoors and we had a wonderful experience. Wait staff very helpful.Special Features:
- Not as good at Hollywood LocationOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 3/26/2014Food was okay.. Not great.. The Hollywood location is better.Special Features:
- Opa opens in Delray!!OptimisticVIPDined on 3/25/2014We welcome Taverna Opa to the hottest location in Delray Beach!! The Greek food is delicious and prepared to order!!!! The staff is friendly and professional!! It is a place to eat and have fun!!Special Features:
- Great Food, Service and FundelraydinerVIPDined on 3/21/2014Our first time to Taverna Opa. The place was loud but very energetic with lively wait staff dancing around and throwing napkins -- Opa! The food was great - as good as we've had in Greece last year and the service was outstanding. Will definitely be back!Special Features:
- too noisydinnerdonVIPDined on 3/18/2014The food is good and the service is ,too. There is a belly dancer that arrives about 7 pm and the music becomes blaring and overwhelming and it goes on forever. It was fine for fifteen minutes but then that was the end of enjoying the restaurant and any conversation.Special Features:
- Great new spot on Atlantic AveLuvitVIPDined on 3/12/2014Wonderful Greek taverna style restaurant. Menu consists of a large variety of small plates to share or enjoy on your own. All were excellent. Service was very good and fast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Addition to the AvenueHJS1VIPDined on 3/9/2014For our first time at the new Taverna Opa we had the family style "Athena" menu for 4 to get a good sampling. The food was excellent including a traditional Greek salad, flaming Saganaki, a large plate of cold mezes with warm, soft pita, and a platter that included chicken kabobs, beef filet kabobs, pork kabobs, and lamb chops with rice and potatoes. The Greek coffee was particularly good and the delicious baklava was large enough for 4 of us to share. The experience at Taverna Opa is tough to beat - delicious food, good service, healthy portions, and reasonable prices. We will be returning soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findStoryDined on 3/3/2014My daughter and I walked by one night and we saw a belly dancer and people dancing on tables and the waiters dancing with the guests. It looked like a hoot. We love Greek Food so we tried to get a reservation for the next night. Unfortunately, they were all booked up. We ended up going on a Monday night. The vibe was quieter but we had an outdoor table and everything that we ordered tasted delicious. We would definitely go back the next time we visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was great! DeliciousWeeklyVIPDined on 3/3/2014Food was great! Delicious and prepared perfectly. Lamb yummy eggplant divine crispy Great Greek salad. A real winner and great addition to the AvenueSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beyond NOISY!!!!!!!!!MommaVIPDined on 2/23/2014New restaurant on Atlantic Ave. in Delray beach. Could be a great place BUT..... way too noisy. We were four for dinner and we had to shout at each other to talk. If you want to eat and not talk...go there. It is noted for fun and belly dancers. Food was OK. Have had better Greek food. Lange variety on the menu. Maybe off season, wwe would try it again.Special Features:
- Great end to some early kinks....OpenTable123VIPDined on 2/22/2014Opa just recently opened. Our rez was at 8pm for 8 people. The hostesses had their hands full. Either they are working out the kinks of seating, or they are just flat out taking too many reservations. Our group was seated by 9pm. If this had been a rez for two, it would have been totally unacceptable, but being with a large group, at the bar, in a fun atmosphere, helped pass the time. One of the managers, Frenchie, came over to apologize for the wait and went above and beyond to ensure we enjoyed the night. By 10pm, after enjoying some great food (and of course drinks), our group was up on the tables dancing with the rest of the restaurant. Great job by management to turn what could have been a disaster into a really great night.Special Features:
- Fun and LoudGittelDined on 2/22/2014Food was good, but the noise level was ridiculous. Customers throwing plates I guess was part of the ambience. Server was excellent and food was good. Our table was so close to the front door that we have the waiting patrons on top of us as well as servers trying to get through to serve, constantly bumping into us. Maybe we will try again during the week instead of a Saturday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OPA!BuddyDined on 2/22/2014This place is a staple in most tourist traps in Florida...BUT....the food and ambience is fun, energetic and PEOPLE DANCE ON TABLES! The only problem with this spot is it just opened up a week ago and they are working out the training and timing issues. The food was exceptional...as always!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Addition To Atlantic AveRschagrinVIPDined on 2/14/2014Another location for Taverna Opa. The food is consistently good and the service was very good especially sine it was only the third day that they were open. Naturally a belly dancer entertains along with some energetic patrons also dancing on the tables.Special Features: