133 S. Murphy Avenue
Sunnyvale, CA 94086Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.tavernabistro.com/
- Phone: 4087359971
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:00 am - 2:30 pm, Sunday: 11:00 am - 3:00 pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Wednesday: 5:00 pm -10:00 pm, Thursday - Saturday : 5:00 pm - 1:00 am, Sunday: 3:00 pm -10:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Mediterranean, Turkish
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cigar Room, Dancing, Delivery, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Smoking Area (bar only), Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: **Organic Mediterranean Catering**
Our experienced Catering team provides personalized service to ensure you next private or company event is a success! Please call us at 408-735-9971 to speak to one of our catering coordinators.
We are proud to serve only Niman Ranch which is a pioneer in producing %100 natural gourmet meat from animals that have been raised humanely, without any antibiotics or added hormones, gluten free and taste like no other.
- Our girlfriends had a birthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/9/2013Our girlfriends had a birthday party and we decided to go out and try it. WE LOVED IT. Everything was great. We are definitely going back.Special Features:
- good food, quick serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/3/2013Great place to eat. Server was attentive, food came out quick and the food is delicious. Definitely try the lahmacun.Special Features:
- The Chicken Kabob was ok.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/6/2012The Chicken Kabob was ok. Chicken was not cooked. Didn't taste the chicken spice. It was bland. Veggetables were overcooked.
- On historic South Murphy AvenueGordonVIPDined on 12/5/2012On historic South Murphy Avenue in Sunnyvale, this is one of the best Mediterranean food restaurants in the South Bay. A large hot pita is baked for you on the spot and served complimentary instead of the usual bread and butter. The entrees are delicious; try the filet mignon or the combo plate. There are also versions of Turkish pizza (pita) for a nice change and a quick meal if you're in a hurry and don't have much time or money to spend.
- After really slow and unfriendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/21/2012After really slow and unfriendly service the server never came back so we could pay, luckily we were able to pay cash so we didn't have to wait for the credit card pick up and bring back. We both just sat with our mouths open at the unbelievable amount of time we waited and embarrassed by the blatant unhappiness of more than one servers. Do they only work for tips there? Impossible as I tipped my server 35% last time I was there and didn't even get a thank you. Dish dash I'll never cheat on you again!Special Features:
- The Lamb Shank was full ofWendyDined on 11/3/2012The Lamb Shank was full of flavors and the salmon tasted fresh (though slightly dry.) Service was friendly and attentive. Definitely returning for more visits.Special Features:
- Best Mediterranean food!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/6/2012Excellent food, service and ambience!! This is extremely underrated, the food is scrumptious and organic, it tasted great and we felt great afterward! This place stands above other Mediterranean restaurants in the area, much nicer in terms of food quality than a well known competitor down the street!Special Features:
- Best of Downtown SunnyvaleGordonVIPDined on 10/6/2012Taverna Bistro is a stand-out among other restaurants in the trendy S. Murphy Avenue downtown area of Sunnyvale. Quite a variety of Mediterranean dishes, from salads to the excellent filet mignon kabob entree. The waite staff is very congenial and listens carefully to how you wish the dish prepared. While groups can be boisterous, it's also a lovely place for a romantic dinner for just two.Special Features:
- Never been disappointed by TavernaOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/15/2012I invited about 16 friends to my birthday party at Taverna. Many hadn't been there before. But once they tasted the food they were very impressed. I think you'll have a lot of repeat customers amongst them. The service was great. We were a little squished but otherwise very well tended to. I loove the dolmathes, the bread and hummous you get while waiting for the food, and the appetizer meze. I've never been disappointed by the food here!Special Features:
- Once again a great time andOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/29/2012Once again a great time and great food. Service was excellent!Special Features:
- I would have given 5 starsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/26/2012I would have given 5 stars because the food is so delicious. Minus two stars because the table next to our table was cleaned with Windex while we were eating. It really destroys the taste of food to have harsh cleaning scents floating over to our table.Special Features:
- Nice ambiance, great food,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/18/2012Nice ambiance, great food, decent prices, but service was lacking. Our large party felt neglected at the start and finish. When it came time to pay, we were told that they would only allow 3 credit transactions which was a real headache for 10 people. Felt like they took our tip money for granted and gave bare minimum service. Maybe our experience would have been better with a smaller party. I will go back for the great food but in smaller numbers. Big parties look elsewhere.Special Features:
- Delicious GemFoodloverdivaVIPDined on 8/4/2012The Organic Beef Skewer was perfectly prepared and quality of meat was outstanding. Delicious meal, spiced well. My friends had the Salmon and Bass which they loved as well. Service was friendly, place was quiet on a Saturday evening around 8:30pm, hope they get more business as their food is amazing! They do have a Hot Spot Hookah Lounge in the back patio, playing great music and it's always packed and happening with friendly customers. I highly recommend this place.Special Features:
- The food was good but theOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/14/2012The food was good but the service was not. Bread that should have come with the appetizer arrived at the table at the exact same time as our dinner salads. No plates were cleared before the dinner arrived meaning that we had to move things around and hold the plates until the waiter had hands empty to take them from us. I was left with no fork with dinner and had to get one myself from another empty table since I couldn't get the waiters attention.Special Features:
- We booked a last minute partyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/23/2012We booked a last minute party for 5 people. We arrived and the table was ready, service was great, food wonderful. When booking online I put a note that we have a birthday girl without expecting much. It was extremely nice of the restaurant to surprise a birthday girl with a little cake and a candle. These small things make a big difference. We'll be definitely back!Special Features:
- Great menu, tasty foodrcneDined on 6/6/2012We love this Mediterranean bistro on Sunnyvale's historic Murphy Street. The menu provides an array of wonderful choices; the server was very patient when we took our time deciding. At 6:15 on a weekday we were the first to dine but when we left it was humming. Early diners can choose from outdoor dining to indoor booths or tables. Four of us were comfortable at a small booth. Food presentation is attractive, portions are generous, and flavors are delicious. We were each happy with our orders: grilled wild salmon, chicken kabobs, lamb burger, and falafel. The restaurant prides itself on its organic ingredients and "100% natural gourmet meat from animals that have been raised humanely, without any antibiotics." Recommended - we'll be back.Special Features:
- The food at Taverna was delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/25/2012The food at Taverna was delicious! My boyfriend and I have recently moved to the area and Taverna was a spur of the moment decision to explore the Sunnyvale dining scene. My lamb and beef gyro wrap was wonderful and the hummus was incredibly fresh. I especially loved the soft flat bread that was served with it. The service was outstanding, not overly attentive but very friendly. We would definitely return.Special Features:
- Outside patio :(OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/7/2012I hade not been here for sometime. I was dissapointed that they changed the outside patio area. The ambiance was once very beautiful and exotic with the pillows and fire pits. Now it looks very crammed with tables and definitly not romantic or pleasant on the eyes. The service happened to be very poor. It took about ten mins to be acknowledged by the server and when we finally had to ask for water. We only received one. We were a party of 2. The food and drinks were great as was the hookah. Had my date not been great I probably would have left after the ten min wait. Definitely should reconsider bringing back the old look.Special Features:
- great food at a reasonablearcsynergyDined on 2/24/2012great food at a reasonable price-love the brick over bread!!!Special Features:
- Overall, the quality of foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/17/2012Overall, the quality of food was not special. They didn't have the items that were on the menu available such as lamb shank (this was on a saturday night that we went to the place). The appetizer bread was excellent but the rest of the meal was really lacking.
- First time at this restaurant.akodaVIPDined on 1/27/2012First time at this restaurant. The people there are very nice, great menu. Lentil soup was fabulous. Will definitely be going back.Special Features:
- This is my second time atOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 1/6/2012This is my second time at Taverna Bistro. Liked it again! Will definitely come back. The place is small and quiet, the service outstanding, food is so delicious. We had fish and one person - meet. Make sure to try their backed in the oven bread!Special Features:
- I've dined here in the pastLikestoDineOutVIPDined on 12/31/2011I've dined here in the past and had really good service. Not sure if it was because it was NYE, but the service was horrible! I will think twice about going here again. The woman in the table next to us actually had to get up and grab the waitress for attention.
- We wanted a non-traditionaljeanyDined on 12/25/2011We wanted a non-traditional Christmas dinner & chose Taverna Bistro based on OpenTable reviews. We were very impressed with their food. We tried their Moussaka & Lamb Shish-ka-bob - both were excellent. The lamb was tender & served medium rare - just right! Also had their eggplant salad to start with & it was very tasty as well. Highly recommended for those who like Greek-Turkish foods & others feeling adventuresome!Special Features:
- Their Filet Mignon kabob wasOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/25/2011Their Filet Mignon kabob was like a juicy steak on a stick...amazing!!! The alexander dish that I had was not great. So I wanted my husband's filet.Special Features:
- The food was so good, andOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/21/2011The food was so good, and our waitress was really nice to us.Special Features:
- Great Turkish/Mediterranean/MiddleOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/30/2011Great Turkish/Mediterranean/Middle Eastern dishes. I went there as a group of 8, waiter was very friendly and dishes were good.Special Features:
- Taverna Bistro... Just Go There!RobertDined on 9/18/2011I took my wife there for her birthday dinner. Our server was very friendly and had great suggestions on what to order. The filet mignon kebab dinner was PHENOMENAL!!! I also got to taste the lamb, which was what another one of out party members was having and it was really good too. They also have the best baklava I've ever tasted.Special Features:
- Taverna Bistro has becomefluffymeowVIPDined on 9/17/2011Taverna Bistro has become one of our favorite restaurants in the South Bay.Special Features:
- The service was attentiveOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/17/2011The service was attentive and friendly. The lamb shank was delicious; however, the side dishes it was served with, rice and spinach, were bland. Also lacking in flavor was the Taverna salad, which is too bad considering that the greens and tomatoes in it were very fresh. It seems like the restaurant puts a lot of emphasis on making its main dishes flavorful but doesn't put enough focus on making sure appetizers and sides are equally flavorful. Overall, we had a good experience, but with a little more attention to detail, this restaurant could be much better than what it is.
- I have enjoyed Taverna BistroSomeone2CountOnVIPDined on 9/8/2011I have enjoyed Taverna Bistro both for lunch and for a group dinner. The food is always delicious. The service is great. The other day the server offered my friend a sample of the Baba ghanoush so we could try it before ordering. It was amazing so of course we ordered and enjoyed it. I've never had a bad meal here.Special Features:
- The chicken is great. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/24/2011The chicken is great. The service should be improved. Had to wait very long for checkSpecial Features:
- We'll be back!rcneDined on 8/21/2011Our group of 6 (age 16 to 84!) was each pleasantly surprised by our 1st visit to Taverna Bistro. We were a bit challenging, first postponing our reservation by about half an hour, and then arriving with 6 rather than 5 people. Restaurant staff rose to the challenge, prepared a new table, and seated us within 5-10 minutes. Our server was friendly, accommodating, and informative. We each enjoyed a delicious meal, including the perfect small plate combination, a hefty burger, and the wonderful wild salmon entree. Although the generous portions resulted in several bags of leftovers, we couldn't resist trying the baklava - which was excellent. My parents have returned to Florida, but my husband and I (with or without the teens) will be back!Special Features:
- It was a nice place and theOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/16/2011It was a nice place and the food was good...better than I expected. I think the appetizer plate where you were able to try everything was wonderful. I was not impressed by the wine list...could do better in that department.
- Taverna Bistro = good timestormtrooperDined on 7/23/2011Really enjoyed Taverna Bistro. My husband & I met another couple and, as I requested, we were able to sit outside. The waiter was very personable and helpful. I was going to order an entree that seemed interesting, and he warned me it was rich and might not be what I was expecting, so I ordered my second choice (salmon) which was excellent. Wine is available in both half and full bottles, and by the glass.Special Features:
- Love, love, love the flatNicky48Dined on 7/16/2011Love, love, love the flat bread - freshly cooked - and the hummus.Special Features:
- It was pretty much of a disappointmOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/12/2011It was pretty much of a disappointment for us. The wait staff was superior; very attentive and conscientious. The problem was with the kitchen and chefs. I received a badly overdone piece of fish and after I sent it back the chef told the server to inform us that it was just the way they do it there. More interest in acting defensive than pleasing the customer. The BabaGanoush was extraordinarily wonderful though.
- Forget the line at Dish DashOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 7/8/2011Had the lamb kabobs, which were huge and heavenly. The lamb was cooked to perfection. The vegetables (squash, broccoli and carrots) were also prepared well, not overdone at all. The kabobs were served on a bed of rice (not sure which kind), which seemed a tad on the light side, serving-wise, but as I couldn't even finish the succulent lamb pieces, I'm not complaining now. My husband had the stuffed cabbage leaves, which he hasn't eaten since he was a kid. Didn't sample their wines this time, but will definitely have a bottle of red the next time I order their lamb (and, believe me, there will be a next time). Skip the line at Dish Dash and head down the street to Taverna. We're glad we did!Special Features:
- Great meat and vegetarian dishes.BrianVIPDined on 7/8/2011Love the Combo appetizer with the giant flatbread. Vegetarian Mousaka and Filet Mignon both awesome!Special Features:
- The food was good...and unusual.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/8/2011The food was good...and unusual. The prices were fair. The service was not great. We used a certificate, which mandated an 18% gratuity, so the server got lucky that night. Otherwise, the tip would have been less. We had to ask for things twice. Finally, my husband looked around the restaurant and found a water pitcher so we could fill our water glasses.Special Features: