130 Statler Drive
Ithaca, NY 14853Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.tavernabanfi.com/
- Phone: (607) 254-2565
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday and Sunday: 7:00am - 10:00am, Saturday: 7:00am - 11:30am, Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 2:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:00pm, Dinner Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm and Friday and Saturday 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Eric Szymczak, Chef de Cuisine
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: For parties of 5 people or more, please call the restaurant.
- Private Party Contact: Sales Department 6072542678x
- Special Events: Call 607-254-2624 for reservations
A word from Taverna Banfi
Taverna Banfi is proud to be the region’s premiere Tuscan-inspired restaurant, featuring local ingredients from over twenty regional farms and an award-winning wine list. Taverna Banfi has two private dining rooms for celebrating special events or conducting business functions. For your convenience, we offer complimentary valet parking for all guest dining at Taverna Banfi. We look forward to your visit and thank you for your patronage.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Taverna Banfi - Best Restaurants in Ithaca ›
Taverna Banfi reviews from OpenTable diners
87 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (46)fit for foodies (35)great for brunch (30)great for lunch (28)good for groups (27)scenic view (23)notable wine list (22)romantic (13)neighborhood gem (9)kid-friendly (7)late-night find (2)Show More
- Marty is a gem! Do whatever it takes to keep him!sldkfjDined on 11/19/2014Seating is prompt, the food is great, the service is outstanding. There's plenty of time to chat without being rushed out after the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EatinoutVIPDined on 11/18/2014The food at Banfi's was quite good. They change the menu every few months which is very nice! I had the fried risotto balls as an appetizer. They were crispy on the outside and soft on the inside- perfect! And the paprika sauce served with it was to die for! I had the duck as my entree and it was delicious! The combination of the fried kale, sweet potato mash, and perfectly roasted duck was amazing. Job well done Banfis.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A waiter forgot my order.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/16/2014I ordered a coffee at the begining, but the waiter didn't bring it to the end, he looked forgotten. And though we were still working the meal, but he brought a check to our table. It looks like 'Leave quickly'. We were unhappy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnnaAJL220Dined on 11/10/2014Our service was excellent and the food was delicious. This was my second time at Banfi and it was just as great as the first. Thank you very much!Special Features:
- Good but expensivePamSVIPDined on 11/8/2014Our dinner was very good. The service was good but some things (olive oil for bread, silverware) were overlooked. It was expensive (about $350 for 4, with a nice bottle of wine and one shared dessert), so I think the service could've been better for that price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FrequenttravelerDined on 11/7/2014I was disappointed in the food on my recent visit. My pasta dish was very ordinary as was my crab cake appitizer which was quite dry. Pretty pricy as well, although it is in a convient location when visiting the campus, but the food was just not up to my expectations based on previous visits. I plan to look for another option on my next visit.
- Food has declinedMAGA0912Dined on 11/6/2014The food at Taverna Banfis has really declined in the last year. The "A La Carte" menu is also poor in choice. The buffet choices have also declined, unfortunately. The salmon at the Buffet last Thursday for lunch was unappealing and overcooked; the baked root vegetables were also bland.Special Features:
- Great BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/2/2014We were visiting our son at Cornell and decided to try for brunch. Excellent options and well worth the cost. We will try for dinner on our next visit. The valet parking is an added bonus.Special Features:
- many thanksAlumDined on 11/2/2014we were at Cornell for parents weekend and enjoyed our stay at the statler and dining at the Taverna, our boys felt particularly spoiled by the brunch and it was a great venue for us all to get together, will be back next yearSpecial Features:
- Banfi's good but expensivefacatcornellDined on 10/29/2014This is a really good restaurant but very expensive.
- What a findNewhavenfoodiesDined on 10/25/2014From the parking valet to the wait staff, this place is fantastic. Very attentive to our requests and the food was delicious. We were a party of four with very different selections; duck, salmon, chicken and pasta. All were perfectly prepared and incredibly tasty. Next time we are in Ithaca, Banfi will be a must do!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is not remarkableMAGA0912Dined on 10/23/2014Although the menus at Taverna Banfi were renewed some time ago, the standards at the restaurant seem to have lowered in the last months. During my last visit, the lunch buffet was unremarkable and not appetizing at all, and the pasta with shrimp I ordered instead was overcooked. A real disappointment!Special Features:
- Good restaurant on college campusLaPoodellaDined on 10/22/2014The food was good. The tables don't have cloths. Our flatware was taken away and our food served while we didn't have any. Meanwhile, we ordered a second bottle of the same wine and it took forever to get it such that I was nearly finished with my meal but didn't have any wine to drink with it. The shredded lamb wasn't shredded, but merely thinly sliced. The short ribs were boneless (I prefer bone in). The portions were very generous. The waitress must have had a problem because the manager filled in for a bit, hence the lack of flatware and delay in getting the wine. They only keep one bottle on hand and have to go far away to get another. But the staff was sweet and attentive otherwise.Special Features:
- Good MealRobbobDined on 10/19/2014The entrees were the best part of our meal. The appetizers were ok, but Caesar salad lettuce was too wet. Rissoto balls were fine, kale salad was too big. Entrees were very delicious. Desserts were okay. Tiramisu was great, my son was not happy with butterscotch dessert, and fruit crisp was only apple crisp. It would be great to get any flavor ice cream from the Diary Bar for a nice ending to the meal there.Special Features:
- Always a great Sunday BrunchCTfoodieDined on 10/19/2014I've been here several times for the Sunday brunch buffet and it does not disappoint.Special Features:
- Excellent brunchjadjiDined on 10/12/2014Took my daughter and her family to Banfi's as part of her 40th birthday celebration, she loved it and we are now BIG fans of their Sunday brunch - it was excellent, especially the blueberry crepes with sweet cream sauce.Special Features:
- Good breakfastbradshawDined on 10/12/2014Although we were hoping we had come in time for brunch we ended up having breakfast. Food quality is very good and the service is always friendly and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extremely friendly staff, bit pricyCornellSeniorDined on 10/12/2014The staff was very kind and courteous. The food tasted good, but was a bit pricy for regular occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/3/2014It was good; it could use some reasonably priced entrees. Everything on the menu was $23.00 and above. For a college town in a depressed area of the country, I found it expensive
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014I wasn't sure where to park. Free valet parking was a nice surprise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/30/2014If you happen to be on the Cornell Campus and want to try something there its worthwhile. I wouldnt recommend it as a destination for anyone elseSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love th brunchNeileVIPDined on 9/28/2014Stayed at statler visiting my son. We came for brunch. Like always, it was excellent. Buffett was great. Desserts were fantastic. Th students are always so fresh faced and enthusiastic.Special Features:
- Beautiful spot. Great service.RkimmitchellDined on 9/27/2014The staff, college kids, couldn't have been more accommodating, making a special effort to make sure my daughters choices were indeed vegetarian and fixing her a dessert to go. Excellent, perfectly prepared and served food.Special Features:
- RobbDined on 9/20/2014The short ribs were outstanding and the wine list was extensive.Special Features:
- Highly RecommendedDrewDined on 9/20/2014From welcome to coffee, the staff was friendly, courteous and professional. My party of six found all six entrees to be delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing flavorspeacheseatsDined on 9/18/2014The finely-shredded kale salad packed with parmesan and currants was a welcome change from other kale salads I have had. Each of the meat dishes were superb and perfectly cooked (I tried everyone at the table's). My scallops with succotash and a dollop of other toppings were one of the most excellent flavor combinations I have ever had! Seriously! The student wait-staff was sweet, but not entirely knowledgable, though they did take the time to find out the answers to most of my questions. I was happy with the portions: not too big, but enough to fill; and for the price--that is important because this place is certainly on the high side. But i am happy to pay for quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Training IssuespickypersonDined on 9/17/2014Food was served with no silverware. Salad with dressing on the side was served without the dressing at all. The meaning of "sides" for the Banfi Burger was miscommunicated. She had to come back to explain that we could have french fries but not what we chose listed in the the menu. (In a fine dining establishment, I'd expect a senior dining staff person to solve this miscommunication by providing the customer's choice, perhaps as a smaller serving. (What could it matter to Banfi's at their prices what potato actually came out of the kitchen?) The fries that eventually arrived were way too salty without catsup. When requested, came in a plastic bottle. The caesar salad side was old and wilted with soggy croutons.Special Features:
- celebrate at Taverna Banfiperfect4celebrationsDined on 9/14/2014I was so glad have discovered Taverna Banfi just in time to celebrate my son's his wedding announcement. The experience was a perfect delight and surprise for them. The food was luscious, esthetically delicious, healthy, artful in all ways. The servers were very pleasant and professional, the decor simple and of great taste. The valet parking made the experience classy. We felt transported in a Shangrila of Ithaca. I discovered you through the Plantations. Glad I did. Will recommend you around town!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Wonderful restaurant! Service and food--always outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top Notch DiningJentomschDined on 9/8/2014The food and service at Taverna Banfi was wonderful, as expected. The wine list was also quite impressive with several local Finger Lakes wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Lunch BuffetGatorDiningVIPDined on 9/8/2014Went here for lunch with a law school classmate. Great selection of cold/salad items. The hot entrees included maple glazed carrots (WOW!), fingerling potatoes, lobster pasta, seafood cakes, and carved roast beef. The seafood cakes and roast beed were both a little on the cold side which was disappointing, however the Italian Wedding soup was amazing and my favorite dish! There was also a great selection of desserts including mini creme brûlée, pot de cocoa, liqueur truffles, mini bread pudding etc. The price tag was $20 per person, which I found to be reasonable. If you happen to find yourself on Cornell's campus at lunch time, Taverna's buffet is a solid choice. GO GATORS!Special Features:
- Tired Friday nightnoname11Dined on 9/5/20146:45 pm reservation, restaurant too cold, no 6:30 start time available despite only 1/3 tables in use. Service painfully slow only redeemed by, as usual, outstanding cooking!Special Features:
- 3rd best Ithaca has to offerGatorDiningVIPDined on 8/25/2014If you are looking for a very nice meal head to The Heights 1st, and John Thomas 2nd. I have come here several times for group dinners. There is nothing to complain about food wise or service wise at this establishment, but it does at times lack a sophistication you might find at the Heights or John Thomas. I say this because all the servers are undergraduate students at Cornell's Hotel School. The students are somewhat knowledgable about the menu and wine list, but they simply have not mastered it yet and many times need to ask "someone else" if you have a question. That being said, the students are attentive and polite…lacking in a little speed though. Highly recommend the scallops! GO GATORS!Special Features:
- Really great foodRayOVIPDined on 8/22/2014The place was hopping and the view was very nice of the university. Our food was fantastic, service was excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- askggDined on 8/17/2014even though the staff is students you get better attention than at most restaurants.Special Features:
- great with a slight problemOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014The food was very good, especially the desserts! The only problem was we didn't check the bill until we were home and then noticed that they had overcharged us on two of our entrees. They were a higher price than what was on the menus we were given, perhaps they were old menus? It's our fault for not checking the bill at the time, but we knew it was going to be expensive and it was - so be careful and check your bill !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We liked it!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014We'll come back! The variety of foods on the buffet made it very hard to choose! Everything was carefully prepared and beautifully presented. All the staff members were helpful, and very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ChoiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014Great for lunch----had the buffet and there was a wonderful selection of both lunch main dishes and dessertsSpecial Features:
- Hit or miss2alumniDined on 8/11/2014The scallops were prepared perfectly and were served with fresh succotash. However the other two entrees were dissapointing. The salmon was over cooked and lost any moistness that was once there and way too much balsamic vinegar reduction on the plate. The chicken chop entree was also dried out but had an interesting flavor. If cooked to retain some moistness it would have been quite good. We ordered risotto balls that had wonderful flavor that were over cooked and crab cakes that were actually quite good. We have been to other hotel schools, Paul Smith's, Penn State and expected our Alma Mater to rise above both of those. Sadly to say, it did not. :-(Special Features:
- harryVIPDined on 8/11/2014secret find on Cornell University in the Statler hotel!!! Have to stop there again!Special Features: