130 Statler Drive
Ithaca, NY 14853Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.tavernabanfi.com/
- Phone: 6072542565x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday and Sunday: 7:00am - 10:00am, Saturday: 7:00am - 11:30am, Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 2:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:00pm, Dinner Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm and Friday and Saturday 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Eric Szymczak, Chef de Cuisine
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: For parties of 5 people or more, please call the restaurant.
- Private Party Contact: Sales Department 6072542678x
- Special Events: Call 607-254-2624 for reservations
A word from Taverna Banfi
Taverna Banfi is proud to be the region’s premiere Tuscan-inspired restaurant, featuring local ingredients from over twenty regional farms and an award-winning wine list. Taverna Banfi has two private dining rooms for celebrating special events or conducting business functions. For your convenience, we offer complimentary valet parking for all guest dining at Taverna Banfi. We look forward to your visit and thank you for your patronage.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Taverna Banfi - Best Restaurants in Ithaca ›
Taverna Banfi reviews from OpenTable diners
74 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (45)fit for foodies (32)great for lunch (29)scenic view (27)good for groups (25)great for brunch (24)notable wine list (19)romantic (12)neighborhood gem (11)kid-friendly (7)great for outdoor dining (2)hot spot (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- Good MealRobbobDined on 10/19/2014The entrees were the best part of our meal. The appetizers were ok, but Caesar salad lettuce was too wet. Rissoto balls were fine, kale salad was too big. Entrees were very delicious. Desserts were okay. Tiramisu was great, my son was not happy with butterscotch dessert, and fruit crisp was only apple crisp. It would be great to get any flavor ice cream from the Diary Bar for a nice ending to the meal there.Special Features:
- Excellent brunchjadjiDined on 10/12/2014Took my daughter and her family to Banfi's as part of her 40th birthday celebration, she loved it and we are now BIG fans of their Sunday brunch - it was excellent, especially the blueberry crepes with sweet cream sauce.Special Features:
- Extremely friendly staff, bit pricyCornellSeniorDined on 10/12/2014The staff was very kind and courteous. The food tasted good, but was a bit pricy for regular occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/3/2014It was good; it could use some reasonably priced entrees. Everything on the menu was $23.00 and above. For a college town in a depressed area of the country, I found it expensive
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014I wasn't sure where to park. Free valet parking was a nice surprise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/30/2014If you happen to be on the Cornell Campus and want to try something there its worthwhile. I wouldnt recommend it as a destination for anyone elseSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love th brunchNeileVIPDined on 9/28/2014Stayed at statler visiting my son. We came for brunch. Like always, it was excellent. Buffett was great. Desserts were fantastic. Th students are always so fresh faced and enthusiastic.Special Features:
- Beautiful spot. Great service.RkimmitchellDined on 9/27/2014The staff, college kids, couldn't have been more accommodating, making a special effort to make sure my daughters choices were indeed vegetarian and fixing her a dessert to go. Excellent, perfectly prepared and served food.Special Features:
- RobbDined on 9/20/2014The short ribs were outstanding and the wine list was extensive.Special Features:
- Highly RecommendedDrewDined on 9/20/2014From welcome to coffee, the staff was friendly, courteous and professional. My party of six found all six entrees to be delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing flavorspeacheseatsDined on 9/18/2014The finely-shredded kale salad packed with parmesan and currants was a welcome change from other kale salads I have had. Each of the meat dishes were superb and perfectly cooked (I tried everyone at the table's). My scallops with succotash and a dollop of other toppings were one of the most excellent flavor combinations I have ever had! Seriously! The student wait-staff was sweet, but not entirely knowledgable, though they did take the time to find out the answers to most of my questions. I was happy with the portions: not too big, but enough to fill; and for the price--that is important because this place is certainly on the high side. But i am happy to pay for quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Training IssuespickypersonDined on 9/17/2014Food was served with no silverware. Salad with dressing on the side was served without the dressing at all. The meaning of "sides" for the Banfi Burger was miscommunicated. She had to come back to explain that we could have french fries but not what we chose listed in the the menu. (In a fine dining establishment, I'd expect a senior dining staff person to solve this miscommunication by providing the customer's choice, perhaps as a smaller serving. (What could it matter to Banfi's at their prices what potato actually came out of the kitchen?) The fries that eventually arrived were way too salty without catsup. When requested, came in a plastic bottle. The caesar salad side was old and wilted with soggy croutons.Special Features:
- celebrate at Taverna Banfiperfect4celebrationsDined on 9/14/2014I was so glad have discovered Taverna Banfi just in time to celebrate my son's his wedding announcement. The experience was a perfect delight and surprise for them. The food was luscious, esthetically delicious, healthy, artful in all ways. The servers were very pleasant and professional, the decor simple and of great taste. The valet parking made the experience classy. We felt transported in a Shangrila of Ithaca. I discovered you through the Plantations. Glad I did. Will recommend you around town!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Wonderful restaurant! Service and food--always outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top Notch DiningJentomschDined on 9/8/2014The food and service at Taverna Banfi was wonderful, as expected. The wine list was also quite impressive with several local Finger Lakes wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Lunch BuffetGatorDiningVIPDined on 9/8/2014Went here for lunch with a law school classmate. Great selection of cold/salad items. The hot entrees included maple glazed carrots (WOW!), fingerling potatoes, lobster pasta, seafood cakes, and carved roast beef. The seafood cakes and roast beed were both a little on the cold side which was disappointing, however the Italian Wedding soup was amazing and my favorite dish! There was also a great selection of desserts including mini creme brûlée, pot de cocoa, liqueur truffles, mini bread pudding etc. The price tag was $20 per person, which I found to be reasonable. If you happen to find yourself on Cornell's campus at lunch time, Taverna's buffet is a solid choice. GO GATORS!Special Features:
- Tired Friday nightnoname11Dined on 9/5/20146:45 pm reservation, restaurant too cold, no 6:30 start time available despite only 1/3 tables in use. Service painfully slow only redeemed by, as usual, outstanding cooking!Special Features:
- 3rd best Ithaca has to offerGatorDiningVIPDined on 8/25/2014If you are looking for a very nice meal head to The Heights 1st, and John Thomas 2nd. I have come here several times for group dinners. There is nothing to complain about food wise or service wise at this establishment, but it does at times lack a sophistication you might find at the Heights or John Thomas. I say this because all the servers are undergraduate students at Cornell's Hotel School. The students are somewhat knowledgable about the menu and wine list, but they simply have not mastered it yet and many times need to ask "someone else" if you have a question. That being said, the students are attentive and polite…lacking in a little speed though. Highly recommend the scallops! GO GATORS!Special Features:
- Really great foodRayOVIPDined on 8/22/2014The place was hopping and the view was very nice of the university. Our food was fantastic, service was excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- askggDined on 8/17/2014even though the staff is students you get better attention than at most restaurants.Special Features:
- great with a slight problemOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014The food was very good, especially the desserts! The only problem was we didn't check the bill until we were home and then noticed that they had overcharged us on two of our entrees. They were a higher price than what was on the menus we were given, perhaps they were old menus? It's our fault for not checking the bill at the time, but we knew it was going to be expensive and it was - so be careful and check your bill !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We liked it!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014We'll come back! The variety of foods on the buffet made it very hard to choose! Everything was carefully prepared and beautifully presented. All the staff members were helpful, and very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ChoiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014Great for lunch----had the buffet and there was a wonderful selection of both lunch main dishes and dessertsSpecial Features:
- Hit or miss2alumniDined on 8/11/2014The scallops were prepared perfectly and were served with fresh succotash. However the other two entrees were dissapointing. The salmon was over cooked and lost any moistness that was once there and way too much balsamic vinegar reduction on the plate. The chicken chop entree was also dried out but had an interesting flavor. If cooked to retain some moistness it would have been quite good. We ordered risotto balls that had wonderful flavor that were over cooked and crab cakes that were actually quite good. We have been to other hotel schools, Paul Smith's, Penn State and expected our Alma Mater to rise above both of those. Sadly to say, it did not. :-(Special Features:
- harryVIPDined on 8/11/2014secret find on Cornell University in the Statler hotel!!! Have to stop there again!Special Features:
- Great serviceBigbillproductionsDined on 8/9/2014Wonderful service!! Very accommodating of a special diet!!!Special Features:
- Special occasion diningFLPhotochickDined on 7/22/2014Our office most always uses Banfi's as our go-to place for special occasions whether we reserve a private room or sit in the general dining area. The staff is super and always knowledgeable and accessible. Love the lunch buffet and the chance to be adventurous and try new dishes. Of course the dessert bar is a wonderful ending to a good meal!Special Features:
- Great food, great serviceleacDined on 7/20/2014The service was excellent. We weren't expecting for there to be only a brunch buffet and no menu on Sunday, but the food was still delicious and we loved it. Overall a great experience.Special Features:
- Turn off the musicDressesForDinnerDined on 7/17/2014Food was good, talking to the waitstaff was fun - all students at Cornell - but the atmosphere was not as nice as I remembered: no tablecloths, looked less like a fine dining restaurant and more like a Howard Johnson's and played the worst music I've heard in a restaurant in a long time. We were told that it could not be turned off, changed, it was the owner's favorite; could be but it was a turn off for us. Given the overall atmosphere, not sure that I'd return.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and service!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/8/2014Taverna Banfi is one of the best restaurants I've ever been to! The entire staff - from the manager and chef to the server - embodied a passion for customer service. Our server, Kelly, was extremely attentive and very knowledgeable about the menu. We were very happy to be approached by the manager (I believe his name was Chris), and the chef, who both wanted to make sure everything was up to standards! Overall, this was one of the best meals of my life and I can't wait to come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Students ShineDelawareFoodLoverDined on 7/5/2014On our third visit, the Taverna Banfi shows how well a student restaurant can be. Outstanding food and professional service. Never a disappointment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding food and wineSabrinaVIPDined on 7/5/2014We went to Ithaca for a class at Cornell and stayed at the Stadler. The food here was great! We all had very different entrees- the Shrimp Pasta was big enough for at least two people and much to my surprise- the ceasar salad was possibly the best we have ever had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at the BanfieataroundDined on 7/1/2014The locals tell us that the restaurant is iffy- sometimes good, and sometimes not. This was our second visit, and it was one of those iffys. We would certainly come back, and perhaps for brunch or lunch instead of an expensive dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Muy bienIthacaNativeDined on 6/27/2014Llevé a mi familia para celebrar el cumpleaños de mi madre. La comida fue muy rica y sabrosa. Los precios fueran respetables y nuestra camarera sabía mucho de los vinos. Soy de Ithaca y éste fue la primera vez. Quiero volver con mi novia.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 477 reviews are from the Taverna Banfi reviews archive.
- Cornell University's RestaurantNYCDiner53VIPDined on 6/20/2014I expected much more. Much better. Not at all as described. No white table cloth. Quite an ordinary place that was no different than your standard place in a hotel. And I've been to far better ones. Convenient though. Waitress was not familiar with menu. Didn't even know the amount of crab cakes in an order. She said 4. It was 2. Burger was good. Pasta with sausage was fair at best. Should be better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprise TreatpegbloomsDined on 6/6/2014Last minute plans led us to this restaurant. We were lucky to get a reservation during the busy reunion weekend at Cornell. What an excellent dining experience it was. The food was fresh, healthy, and flavorful. I can't wait to return.Special Features:
- Awesome for dining, not for lunchmay787Dined on 5/23/2014Unfortunately, the food was cold, they ran out of desserts and roast beef while I was having lunch with my family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dessertRigelDined on 5/23/2014Food is mediocre but Dessert is absolutely fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experience!!SammyDined on 5/22/2014We selected Banfi because of its association with the Statler Hotel and hospitality program at Cornell University. The food was very fresh and most locally sourced. The menu had a great variety but not so much as to suggest an overstressed chef and kitchen. The wine list was varied and deep. You could find a great wine for a casual wine drinker but also find that very special, unique wine for the enthusiast. Food preparation and service was of high quality and in our instance all three dinners were perfectly prepared. Timing between courses was perfect. Server and manager were very quick to respond to a question we had about a locally sourced ingredient and where to purchase it, since we liked it so much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fair is a more than generous ratingClclDined on 5/22/2014Daughter spent 4 years at Cornell, this was our first experience dining at the Statler, as a special occasion for graduation. Food was excellent, but service was abysmal. Our primary server was obviously in training and didn't have a clue of how to take drink or dinner orders. The person training her was not much better. Choosing to train someone at the beginning of graduation weekend was a poor choice by the restaurant management. We were very disappointed, and will never go back. This is one of Ithaca's pricier restaurants, and they should be able to do much better. p.s. Restaurant was FREEZING, and requests by us and other diners did not result in any change. Completely ruined what was left of the dining experience.Special Features: