130 Statler Drive
Ithaca, NY 14853Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.tavernabanfi.com/
- Phone: 6072542565x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday and Sunday: 7:00am - 10:00am, Saturday: 7:00am - 11:30am, Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 2:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:00pm, Dinner Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm and Friday and Saturday 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Eric Szymczak, Chef de Cuisine
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: For parties of 5 people or more, please call the restaurant.
- Private Party Contact: Sales Department 6072542678x
- Special Events: Call 607-254-2624 for reservations
A word from Taverna Banfi
Taverna Banfi is proud to be the region’s premiere Tuscan-inspired restaurant, featuring local ingredients from over twenty regional farms and an award-winning wine list. Taverna Banfi has two private dining rooms for celebrating special events or conducting business functions. For your convenience, we offer complimentary valet parking for all guest dining at Taverna Banfi. We look forward to your visit and thank you for your patronage.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Taverna Banfi - Best Restaurants in Ithaca ›
Taverna Banfi reviews from OpenTable diners
63 reviews since April 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (34)scenic view (24)fit for foodies (23)great for lunch (22)great for brunch (22)good for groups (21)notable wine list (18)neighborhood gem (12)romantic (9)kid-friendly (6)great for outdoor dining (3)vibrant bar scene (2)hot spot (2)Show More
- 3rd best Ithaca has to offerGatorDiningVIPDined on 8/25/2014If you are looking for a very nice meal head to The Heights 1st, and John Thomas 2nd. I have come here several times for group dinners. There is nothing to complain about food wise or service wise at this establishment, but it does at times lack a sophistication you might find at the Heights or John Thomas. I say this because all the servers are undergraduate students at Cornell's Hotel School. The students are somewhat knowledgable about the menu and wine list, but they simply have not mastered it yet and many times need to ask "someone else" if you have a question. That being said, the students are attentive and polite…lacking in a little speed though. Highly recommend the scallops! GO GATORS!Special Features:
- Really great foodRayODined on 8/22/2014The place was hopping and the view was very nice of the university. Our food was fantastic, service was excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great with a slight problemOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014The food was very good, especially the desserts! The only problem was we didn't check the bill until we were home and then noticed that they had overcharged us on two of our entrees. They were a higher price than what was on the menus we were given, perhaps they were old menus? It's our fault for not checking the bill at the time, but we knew it was going to be expensive and it was - so be careful and check your bill !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We liked it!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014We'll come back! The variety of foods on the buffet made it very hard to choose! Everything was carefully prepared and beautifully presented. All the staff members were helpful, and very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ChoiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014Great for lunch----had the buffet and there was a wonderful selection of both lunch main dishes and dessertsSpecial Features:
- Hit or miss2alumniDined on 8/11/2014The scallops were prepared perfectly and were served with fresh succotash. However the other two entrees were dissapointing. The salmon was over cooked and lost any moistness that was once there and way too much balsamic vinegar reduction on the plate. The chicken chop entree was also dried out but had an interesting flavor. If cooked to retain some moistness it would have been quite good. We ordered risotto balls that had wonderful flavor that were over cooked and crab cakes that were actually quite good. We have been to other hotel schools, Paul Smith's, Penn State and expected our Alma Mater to rise above both of those. Sadly to say, it did not. :-(Special Features:
- harryVIPDined on 8/11/2014secret find on Cornell University in the Statler hotel!!! Have to stop there again!Special Features:
- Great serviceBigbillproductionsDined on 8/9/2014Wonderful service!! Very accommodating of a special diet!!!Special Features:
- Special occasion diningFLPhotochickDined on 7/22/2014Our office most always uses Banfi's as our go-to place for special occasions whether we reserve a private room or sit in the general dining area. The staff is super and always knowledgeable and accessible. Love the lunch buffet and the chance to be adventurous and try new dishes. Of course the dessert bar is a wonderful ending to a good meal!Special Features:
- Great food, great serviceleacDined on 7/20/2014The service was excellent. We weren't expecting for there to be only a brunch buffet and no menu on Sunday, but the food was still delicious and we loved it. Overall a great experience.Special Features:
- Turn off the musicDressesForDinnerDined on 7/17/2014Food was good, talking to the waitstaff was fun - all students at Cornell - but the atmosphere was not as nice as I remembered: no tablecloths, looked less like a fine dining restaurant and more like a Howard Johnson's and played the worst music I've heard in a restaurant in a long time. We were told that it could not be turned off, changed, it was the owner's favorite; could be but it was a turn off for us. Given the overall atmosphere, not sure that I'd return.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and service!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/8/2014Taverna Banfi is one of the best restaurants I've ever been to! The entire staff - from the manager and chef to the server - embodied a passion for customer service. Our server, Kelly, was extremely attentive and very knowledgeable about the menu. We were very happy to be approached by the manager (I believe his name was Chris), and the chef, who both wanted to make sure everything was up to standards! Overall, this was one of the best meals of my life and I can't wait to come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Students ShineDelawareFoodLoverDined on 7/5/2014On our third visit, the Taverna Banfi shows how well a student restaurant can be. Outstanding food and professional service. Never a disappointment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding food and wineSabrinaVIPDined on 7/5/2014We went to Ithaca for a class at Cornell and stayed at the Stadler. The food here was great! We all had very different entrees- the Shrimp Pasta was big enough for at least two people and much to my surprise- the ceasar salad was possibly the best we have ever had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at the BanfieataroundDined on 7/1/2014The locals tell us that the restaurant is iffy- sometimes good, and sometimes not. This was our second visit, and it was one of those iffys. We would certainly come back, and perhaps for brunch or lunch instead of an expensive dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Muy bienIthacaNativeDined on 6/27/2014Llevé a mi familia para celebrar el cumpleaños de mi madre. La comida fue muy rica y sabrosa. Los precios fueran respetables y nuestra camarera sabía mucho de los vinos. Soy de Ithaca y éste fue la primera vez. Quiero volver con mi novia.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cornell University's RestaurantNYCDiner53VIPDined on 6/20/2014I expected much more. Much better. Not at all as described. No white table cloth. Quite an ordinary place that was no different than your standard place in a hotel. And I've been to far better ones. Convenient though. Waitress was not familiar with menu. Didn't even know the amount of crab cakes in an order. She said 4. It was 2. Burger was good. Pasta with sausage was fair at best. Should be better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprise TreatpegbloomsDined on 6/6/2014Last minute plans led us to this restaurant. We were lucky to get a reservation during the busy reunion weekend at Cornell. What an excellent dining experience it was. The food was fresh, healthy, and flavorful. I can't wait to return.Special Features:
- Awesome for dining, not for lunchmay787Dined on 5/23/2014Unfortunately, the food was cold, they ran out of desserts and roast beef while I was having lunch with my family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dessertRigelDined on 5/23/2014Food is mediocre but Dessert is absolutely fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experience!!SammyDined on 5/22/2014We selected Banfi because of its association with the Statler Hotel and hospitality program at Cornell University. The food was very fresh and most locally sourced. The menu had a great variety but not so much as to suggest an overstressed chef and kitchen. The wine list was varied and deep. You could find a great wine for a casual wine drinker but also find that very special, unique wine for the enthusiast. Food preparation and service was of high quality and in our instance all three dinners were perfectly prepared. Timing between courses was perfect. Server and manager were very quick to respond to a question we had about a locally sourced ingredient and where to purchase it, since we liked it so much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fair is a more than generous ratingClclDined on 5/22/2014Daughter spent 4 years at Cornell, this was our first experience dining at the Statler, as a special occasion for graduation. Food was excellent, but service was abysmal. Our primary server was obviously in training and didn't have a clue of how to take drink or dinner orders. The person training her was not much better. Choosing to train someone at the beginning of graduation weekend was a poor choice by the restaurant management. We were very disappointed, and will never go back. This is one of Ithaca's pricier restaurants, and they should be able to do much better. p.s. Restaurant was FREEZING, and requests by us and other diners did not result in any change. Completely ruined what was left of the dining experience.Special Features:
- Just some little things..iheartfoodDined on 5/16/2014The food was great and servers were nice, but small things such as not getting coffee refills and a lengthy time for our food (salmon and salad) took away from an otherwise satisfying experience. Also, a man right next to us engaged in a lengthy phone call despite the no cell phones request on the menu and no one seemed to enforce this despite having tables right next to him.Special Features:
- Great food at Cornellcornellstudent54574Dined on 5/9/2014Taverna Banfi offers excellent Italian cuisine at appropriate prices. I have had many professional meetings there and have once met in the back room with a group of 15, and every time the food and service is excellent. Portions are on the small end, but the quality is excellent!Special Features:
- Fine Dining on Cornell CampusappiyaDined on 4/30/2014It's a pity we locals don't treat Banfis as a dinner option often enough. It's a great choice for foodies. As a lunch stop on a working day it's an elegant option to cafeteria fare. The food quality and menu choices position it way above the mid-range lunch buffet. It is not accurate to describe it as an establishment run entirely by hotel students. It employs professional staff who are warm and attentive. Say "hello" to the restaurant manager, Mohan Nair (of international repute) for testimony to this fact.Special Features:
- The following 468 reviews are from the Taverna Banfi reviews archive.
- Desert is where it's at!noname11Dined on 4/29/2014Always a good buffet lunch, with a carved to order meat, but the real highlight is desert buffet: at least 5-6 choices in small portions to encourage tasting 2-3. All high quality. Overall, a nice deal for a reasonable price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sisters' CelebrationpuliloverDined on 4/27/2014We have lived in Ithaca for many years. We have tried most of the restaurants but come back to Banfi's for the special event experience. As Cornell alums we enjoy speaking with the waitstaff about their hopes and dreams after graduation. Excellent service. Great food. Adult atmosphere.Special Features:
- banfiijendoDined on 4/19/2014It's located in hotel 2nd floor. Enterance is a little funny. We had buffet course during noon time. All food was fresh and tasted very original. The steak was excellent. Desert was nice. it was one of family trip restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MmmmDined on 4/19/2014The college town campus was scheduled to be very crowded that day. So, I planned a couple days ahead for a noon reservation. Waiting in line for the maître d', the groups behind us were asking if a reservation was needed and commenting that I had done well to plan ahead. When we got to the reservation desk, our Opentable reservation had been lost. Luckily, the maître d' quickly sat us at the first open table. It was awkward, but worked out. If I had had to wait a fair amount of time, this review would have a much different tone. Will I still get the scheduled 100 dining points for this reservation? The buffet food was fine, but the kitchen staff struggled to keep items continually available.
- Great restaurant when parents visitSURendipityDined on 4/18/2014As usual, my experience at Banfi's is always splendid! My mom was visiting Cornell, and so she took me and some of my friends out to dinner at Banfi's! The food and service are always excellent and I enjoy seeing some familiar faces as my waiters! I think the Hotel School is a wonderful establishment and a place that I hope to spend a lot of time in when I come back to visit Cornell! :)Special Features:
- A SPECIAL PLACEMikaDined on 4/17/2014We had heard abouth the restaurant on our visit to Cornell and being foodies from NYC was curious how good it would be. We were very impressed; delicious food and wonderful views. We loved being served by the students.Special Features:
- Great Food/Impeccable Service!CollieFlowerGirlVIPDined on 4/12/2014Beautifully situated on Cornell's breathtaking campus. My husband enjoyed the Rigatoni Butera, past cooked perfectly al dente & seasoned to perfection. I tried the grilled eggplant on our servers recommendation...sinfully rich & a vegetarian delight! We topped our dinner off with the semi-freddo. It was a chocolate, banana & caramel masterpiece and an architectural marvel! The Statler & Taverna Banfi will not disappoint!! We returned to the Regent Lounge for late night drinks, first sitting at the bar where the bartenders were fun & friendly. They answered all our questions & helped us choose THE best drinks! Later we moved to a comfy couch & enjoyed another drink with friends. It was a great place to chill & a perfect end to our day!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding food and service.JimmyDined on 3/27/2014Outstanding food and service. And very clean. If you are staying at Cornell, the Statler is the only place to stay and the Taverna Banfi is the best place to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a PleasuremichellecornellDined on 3/25/2014It is always a pleasure to return to my alma mater to dine. The ambiance is energetic, with a helpful staff and delicious, freshly prepared and custom-tailored offerings (if you make a request) for any diet or palate. Although I've had several menu items, you can't fail with the dazzling buffet that offers a wide variety of vegetarian, vegan, pasta dishes, cold salads and a numerous array of delectable desserts. Meat eaters will delight in the carving station that offers turkey, pork or beef. Make sure to try the root vegetables that are cooked to perfection. I particularly enjoyed the perfectly-cooked trout with the avocado mousse. Mohan Nair, Taverna Banfis manager is legendary for service, management and remembering his customers.Special Features:
- Good Selection, High Quality FoodFoodieSueDined on 3/15/2014Overall, the food is delicious and well presented. I really like the smoked salmon, yogurt parfaits, and cheeses. Also, there is wide variety of toppings (craisins, granola, etc.) for the oatmeal. If there was anything they could improve on, it would be to refill the fruit plate more often. I would also like if they offered crackers alongside the cheeses so that I don't have to put/spread the cheeses on toast to sample them.Special Features:
- Loved the food. However, IBanfiDined on 3/8/2014Loved the food. However, I was at dinner with my mom, and she got up to go to the bathroom. Our main entrees were dropped while she was in bathroom. I was shocked that happened. I expected excellent service from banfis. Dropping entrees when not everyone is at the table is not cool.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vegan choices extremely limitedUrtsaDined on 3/8/2014I went on a Saturday for lunch with a visiting colleague. There was only one vegan choice in addition to one of the salads There was only one soup choice which had meat. Need more vegan options especially when there is no buffet.
- decent experienceDougDined on 2/28/2014The food as very good and the wait staff was trying to deliver a quality experience. From a service stanpoint, the appetizers and salads weren't delivered in a staged manner, as an intended shared appetizer and all of the salads arrived at once. The initial bottle of wine which was ordered was not in the house. Supposedly, someone before had just ordered the last bottle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for the ViewVBeaDined on 2/19/2014Great view of campus. Sterile atmosphere/decor for evening dining, but fine for lunch. Food is very standard restaurant fare- nothing outstanding and food could be a lot better. Student staff are enthusiastic but still learning. Bar is very sterile experience as well, definitely NOT a hot spot.Special Features:
- Annual Valentine's Brunchmrl34Dined on 2/16/2014Every year my daughter and I like to dress up a bit and go to Taverna Banfi's for a nice brunch around Valentine's Day. The food, as always, is excellent and the service is amazing. We love the fact that they make it a special visit for us every time we go. It's become one of our favorite family traditions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.