Chicago, IL 60657Neighborhood:
Lakeview / East Lakeview
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.taverna750.com/
- Phone: 7739047466
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Monday
6:00pm - 11:00pm (kitchen until 10pm)
Tuesday - Thursday
6:00pm - 12:00am (kitchen until 11pm)
6:00pm - 2:00am (late night menu 11pm - 1:30am)
6:00pm - 3:00am (late night menu 11pm - 1:30am)
11:00am - 3:00pm (Pizza/Salads 3:00pm-6:00pm)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Christopher Coker
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Cross Street: Halsted
- Public Transit: Red line (Addison or Belmont stop), Brown (Belmont stop) and purple line (Belmont stop).
Addison (152), Belmont (77), Broadway (36), Clark Street (22), Halsted (8), Sheridan (151), Claredon/LaSalle Express (135), Sheridan/LaSalle Expres (136), Wilson/Michigan Ave Express (145), Inner Drive / Michigan Ave Express (146)
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Onstreet parking only, parking on Halsted Street and Cornelia Avenue is free after 9 pm. Ample taxis on Halsted Street.
A word from Taverna 750
Taverna 750 is the best of old school Italian with a contemporary flair. Paul D. Cannella's was inspired by Grandfather Paul J. Loverde's and Uncle Chuckie Abruzzini's classic Italian recipes from their restaurant on Grand Avenue from the 40's to the 60's. All of the entrees will be small plates, meant for sharing at the table. Most are less than $10 and the martinis include a sidecar. Bottom line is that Taverna is an extremely great value.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Taverna 750 reviews from OpenTable diners
108 reviews since June 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (58)neighborhood gem (54)good for groups (40)great for brunch (38)fit for foodies (37)special occasion (33)hot spot (33)romantic (29)vibrant bar scene (25)late-night find (13)great for lunch (8)scenic view (3)notable wine list (1)Show More
- A perfect anniversary dinner localeSteveDined on 10/18/2014My wife & I celebrated our 4th wedding anniversary & a friend of mine reco'd Taverna 750. From start to finish, we loved every moment of it. We were greeted by a very friendly host who was happy to seat us when we showed up about 15 minutes early. We were prepared to wait, but he was very accommodating. We sat down & met our waiter, Peter, who was no only super-friendly, but also provided us a full explanation on some of his favorite dishes, how many he thinks we should order, & what was not being prepared that evening. Being our first time there, we went with a lot of his reco's and couldn't have been happier. We were even treated to a champaign toast for our special evening. All in all, Taverna 750 was a perfect find for a perfect night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun made easyBerwyndinerDined on 10/18/2014We had early reservations, 6p and were seated in a fairly empty room. Within a few minutes the room was packed and the joint was jumping. The food is served tapas style so we started with 4 dished and added 2 more before we left. Everything was tasty and well portioned for the price. It's hard to pick a favorite but the 4 cheese flatbread stood out as well as the steak chimichurri and fried chicken. Aside from the great food one has to mention their creative custom drinks selection most made with in house made "cellos", limoncello, grapefruitcello and so on. I also had to try a pistachio liquor which was outstanding!! So good food, unique drinks and fun fun atmosphere makes for a memorable night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst Dining ExperienceworldtraveleranddinerDined on 10/17/2014I was in town from LA and picked this place out for my b-day dinner on 10/17/2014 for a party of 3. I made the reservation and we got our table right away but then we waited for 15 mins for our drinks to come out. We ordered our food and another round of drinks. My cocktail was brought out about 15 mins later again and then my friends glass of wine was brought out another 10 mins later, by itself!! Food finally came out 45 mins later, from when we sat down. To top it all off, they brought my entree out and then 10 mins later, my friends entree came out and then another 10 mins for my other friends plate to come out. It was totally not acceptable!Special Features:
- Back to businessLilGayAfgDined on 10/12/2014After a rough go in the kitchen, it seems that Taverna is getting back to the swing of what made me love them in the first place. The staff has always been fantastic, that's never been an issue. The menu has changed some and I look forward to going back for dinner soon.Special Features:
- YumWinnieSandersonDined on 10/11/2014The drink menu is very creative and all about presentation. They make them strong and give a very generous amount. The food was great except I think they could benefit from having a few more options for small plates. I suggest the ahi tuna appetizer and brussel sprouts!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small space, loud, average food.DudeAVIPDined on 10/5/2014Had a Sunday brunch here. This is a very small restaurant. Tables are over packed in it, making it hard to move around, or hear anything over other people and loud music. Food is average. Small menu. Good cocktails.
- Change for the worseOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/2/2014Used to Be italian tapas, now they called themselves "global" tapas. The chicken Parmesan bites were literally chicken nuggets with marinara and mozzarella for $14 ( gross). My cucumber martini was literally lime green and pure syrup. I don't know why they changed concepts or chefs, but it was rough.
- New menu not up to parTechnoDinerVIPDined on 10/1/2014We were attracted by the menu we saw online --- a tempting line-up of Italian dishes. However, once we arrived we discovered there is a new menu consisting entirely of shared plates. The ersatz selection is a sort of global selection, with no real focus or character. Definitely needs more thought and refinement ... and a few more choicesSpecial Features:
- It's improving!JohnMDined on 9/30/2014Decor received a face lift. I love all the wood in the space. Lots of natural materials, and great lighting. I am really confused by the black wall left of the bar. It's not cohesive. Food was good. I was expecting more and was let down a little. Artichoke pizza was excellent as always,, brussel sprouts were not crispy and raw in the middle. Deviled eggs were boring and the shrimp quesadilla was really tasty. I'm glad the menu isn't pasta heavy but I felt like some of the items would be something rocks would serve. I feel like yall are headed in a good direction. I look forward to seeing what new food options will be available soon!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slipped a littleJK1978VIPDined on 9/28/2014We have been to Taverna 750 for brunch and dinner on several occasions. Loved the food, drinks and service. Fun, energetic wait staff and excellent cocktails. We were very excited to see their recent renovation. While the staff is still wonderful and the new interior and decor is much better, the food was so-so. Brunch options were limited (which is fine) however the quality of food was not what it used to be. The yogurt and fruit appetizer was good but the egg and brioche main course was dry and lacked flavor. We plan on giving it another try for brunch and dinner and hope things improve.Special Features:
- Another Great Brunch!!UrbanDozerDined on 9/28/2014Had yet another great brunch here with a group of 10. Service was amazing and we all had a really good time. I still think this is the best brunch in Boystown.Special Features:
- Boozy brunch? Yes please!BrunchBunchDined on 9/27/2014When I heard of Taverna's brunch, I was immediately sold, and the experience exceeded my boozy brunch standards. The brunch packages are impressively priced ($22-27) for the never ending flow of mimosa carafes and quality martini/sidecar options. The food was tasty, but beware if you plan on drinking heavily (which seems to be encouraged). The courses aren't the largest of portions, but each dish was still fantastic, and the prices are too good to pass up. On the experience, let's just say come prepared to drink. I've never had a more perfect day drinking experience (and I didn't wake up from my disco nap with a hangover at 7 p.m.). Taverna 750 will satisfy any lush's day-drinking desires for an excellent price and experience.Special Features:
- BIrthday CelebrationNiclynnDined on 9/26/2014We had an awesome time celebrating my friend's birthday with a group of 10 girls. The birthday girl was treated extra special with a free lemoncello shot and birthday ballon! Dan ("the man") was an excellent server. He gave good advice on what to order (small plates) for a big group and every enjoyed the food, which was just enough! We had a great time and we were still taking about it a few days later! Thanks for making my friends birthday special Taverna 750!Special Features:
- Unfortunate DemiseAcemanVIPDined on 9/21/2014What a heartbreak! Loved this place for its creative small plates and drinks. What happened? The chef is gone. They brought in a "top chef" from Nashville who hasn't got a clue about the Chicago market. Scaled down menu with several dishes using the same sauces, lettuces, and cole slaw- really? That's not going to work. Waitstaff very inexperienced- it was our waiter's first day as a waiter ever. Guess all good things must come to an end. Give this place a few weeks of life.Special Features:
- Great PlaceCornelliousDined on 9/7/2014Really liked this place. The only thing I think they need to work on is the seatingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent BrunchBrat72Dined on 9/7/2014The most attractive staff in boystown, and very personable. At times service was a bit slow, but they made up for it. Could expand food offering to be a little more generic, people said it was good but Im a picky eater and didn't have anything...drinks were great though.Special Features:
- blanddtchicagoDined on 9/6/2014I have been here several times and always loved the food and experience. However they have changed their menu and chef and sadly the food is not what it used to be. Everything was bland and just seemed to be missing something which caused the food to miss the mark. Unless things change I won't be back for food. The staff is remarkable, charming and goes beyond most servers (Chris was wonderful!), the bar also mixes wonderful cocktails.Special Features:
- Great Food & fun staff!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/6/2014The restaurant is a delightful neighborhood gem! The food was fantastic! Very fresh and creative food combinations! The staff was very friendly and made the evening a lot of fun!Special Features:
- New menulovechangesVIPDined on 8/31/2014The new menu is just terrific! The cinnamon sticks satisfied my sweet tooth and the spicy crab dip was oh so amazing!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchChiryanVIPDined on 8/31/2014Brunch was fair. The place is popular, but if you are looking for outstanding and unique food, then you should look somewhere else.Special Features:
- Great Date SpotFrankDined on 8/23/2014Enjoyed the tapas style Italian plates, great cocktails too. I enjoyed the service, the quality of food, and the desserts were tasty also. I would suggest this place for a romantic date, or a nice night out to dinner with a few friends.Special Features:
- NeighborDined on 8/20/2014Awesome little restaurant just off of Halsted. Cocktails are fantastic and food is outstanding.Special Features:
- BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/17/2014The brunch was absolutely amazing and the service was great!Special Features:
- BrunchLilGayAfgDined on 8/17/2014Service has picked back up. Still struggling in the kitchen. Menu options dropped to only six brunch options for the mimosa brunch. Waiters and staff are on point and friendly. Food wasn't the best I've had but wasn't the worst either. Maybe better if it wasn't a large group?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedLounickDined on 8/15/2014Have been here many times. Food quality has been declining significantly of late. Last 2 meals have been mostly disappointing. Drinks remain creative, fun, tasty and unique. Sat outside as there had been some type of fan malfunction in the kitchen and the dining room was filled with smoke when we arrived. Group of 6, comfortable on the nice patio. Food we shared was consistently poor from their revamped menu. Hold-over mozzarella sticks in philo with honey and walnuts was good as were the brussel sprouts and roasted cauliflower. Chicken marsala had virtually no marsala flavor, short ribs were bland and strangely tough, clams and mussels were tiny and just not good. Hope they can figure out where they have gone wrong and fix things.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Treated like Kings & Queens!LouBDined on 8/3/2014Love the place. Service was top notch. Will be back on our next visits to Chicago.Special Features:
- Great Brunch VenueUrbanDozerDined on 8/3/2014My mother was visiting from Massachusetts and I took her and 6 of my closest friends to brunch here this past Sunday. We had a marvelous time and the service was fantastic. For groups of 8 or more you have to pick from a smaller food menu which is unfortunate but the food is still very good and you can't beat the price for what is included. You definitely leave here typsey! We had a lot of fun and I will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Cute italian tapas in boystownAnastasiaVIPDined on 8/1/2014I love Taverna 750. Its got the perfect combination of food, strong drinks, romantic atmosphere and a vibrant bar scene. I have been here on dates, bachelorette parties and birthday celebrations and had a great time every time. The side car that comes with your martini is also very clutch.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/27/2014Usually Great But Hamburger Buns Are Not What You Use For Eggs Benedict! At least tell us.Special Features:
- Decent Neighborhood JointViewChicagoDined on 7/25/2014Decent neighborhood joint. Love the location. Love the sidewalk cafe. Interior is amateur and decorated so 2007. Food is likewise amateur for Chicago standards but is fine. Don't come here for three stars dining but rather 'cause it's in the hood or it's a beautiful summer eve and you want to eat on a sidewalk cafe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wouldn't go againOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/18/2014We have been wanting to try this neighborhood spot and really were hoping it would be good. The outside seating was great but the food was pretty lackluster. We won't be back again.Special Features:
- AwfulCPLDDined on 7/18/2014Service was terrible. An hour without food, so we paid for the drunks and left. Don't go here.Special Features:
- Quality Food Near Wrigleyjjs2013Dined on 7/18/2014Great spot for higher-end food near Wrigley. Tapas / family style. Lots of interesting dishes. Flash fried brussel sprouts were such a big hit at our table, we placed a 2nd order.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok, what am I missing?CrankyOldWhiteGuyVIPDined on 7/13/2014I want to like this place, but two visits have been disasters. First time, dinner, we were obviously keeping the waiter from something more important and half the tapas style dishes arrived cold (not dishes traditionally served cold). It took forever to get the check. This week, we tried brunch. We ordered coffee - not interested in getting tipsy on mimosas and martinis at 12N - which was undrinkable after stirred with forks since the waiter didn't bring spoons. I ordered French toast and the bread was amazingly dry - how one accomplishes that with French toast is a mystery. My partner's meal, breakfast Mac & Cheese, arrived cold. Cold pasta, dry French toast, and undrinkable coffee -not a successful second visit. We won't be back.
- Cocktail CenteredandyjoDined on 7/12/2014Generous pours on cocktails and delicious little bites to pop in your mouth make this a fun place post-game, pre-theater or any-night-of-the-week when you want to get out of the house and stroll the neighborhood. Friendly, convivial and a bit loud. The outdoor dining makes you feel like you're enjoying the best of summer.Special Features:
- Could have been 4 Star...butOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/12/2014We really loved the food and found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. But, service was incredibly slow. We were there on a Saturday and the place was full. It seemed like they had a lot of wait staff but both the bar and the kitchen were very slow--only one bartendar for an obvisously drinking crowd and apparently the kitchen was not keeping pace with the full room. We heard a number of others customers complaining about the slow service.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/12/2014Love this place! Best brunch in Chicago. Great service and staff! Can't wait to go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch with friendsPrestonJohnsonDined on 7/6/2014Last minute choice... Glad we were able to get in! Everything is fantastic! Brunch menu is fun, especially the martinis! Dined for dinner once, was great as well... Many fun small hearty dishes to share!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New chef - we're disappointed!Helena26Dined on 7/1/2014Our 1st time in Taverna750 was a delicious dinner!!!! Every dish was very good! We went again on my husband BDay and we ordered the same as the previous time but it taste nothing like before!!! They had a new chef, the food was tasteless, no salt, rissoto was a over cooked rice with some watery sous... We're very disappointed ! I have to say that the cocktails are perfect each time! The service is very good, the waiters was really nice and understanding.Special Features:
- The following 515 reviews are from the Taverna 750 reviews archive.
- Good food, GREAT drinksBBXXIVDined on 6/20/2014Food and ambience was very good, but the Bar program here is outstanding. 4 for early dinner (6:30pm). Exceptionally friendly service. Small plates were generally very good with some bordering on exceptional. Only real miss for us was the Port & Polenta - the texture was like baby food. Everything else was really delightful.Special Features: