Tavern on the Gore
223 Gore Creek Drive
Vail, CO 81657Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Tavern on the Gore
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://tavernonthegore.com/
- Phone: 9704762828
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11am - 5:00pm
Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Jason Lahrman
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have a private dining room overlooking Gore Creek. We can also rent out our entire patio or restaurant for private parties. Please call for more information.
- Private Party Contact: John McKenzie 9704762828
- Entertainment: Live Music on our Patio Thursday, Friday & Saturday afternoon.
A word from Tavern on the Gore
The Tavern on the Gore: A "high-end" sports dining experience, overlooking Gore Creek, in the center of Vail Village. Delicious steaks, fresh seafood flown in daily and raw bar. Personal high definition sports screens at each table, you choose what to watch or choose a nice scenic view. Huge outdoor dining area. Specialty martinis and cocktails change seasonally. Extensive wine list. The only sports dining, "High End Alpine Tavern" in Vail.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Tavern on the Gore reviews from OpenTable diners
18 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (13)scenic view (12)good for groups (6)great for lunch (5)neighborhood gem (5)kid-friendly (3)late-night find (2)hot spot (2)romantic (1)special occasion (1)fit for foodies (1)notable wine list (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Very disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/1/2014The quail entree, offered for Restaurant Week, was one over-cooked quail under a large amount of over-cooked vegetables all mixed together with a gravy. And, the offered dessert of poached pear was frozen solid. The burger meal, ordered by my companion, was so rare (though requested medium) it was not edible. There was music playing over the speakers while different and equally loud music came from the cooks' area. Won't be going back there.Special Features:
- Awesome burgersYNOTVIPDined on 8/18/2014Great scenery and the best angus burger, loaded with extras. I'll come back next week for sure.Special Features:
- inexplicably slowkjgdvrDined on 7/3/2014the servers were polite but the service was unbelievably, laughably slow. at the one hour point (having been served a round of beer/wine and an appetizer of wings) we brought this to the attention of the hostess and manager (our server was hiding), who apologized and promised "5 minutes". despite the apologies, the burger and salads we had ordered took another 25 minutes. restaurant paid for our dinner, but total time was 1 hour 55 minutes. the restaurant was not busy at all. food was good, once it came. if you just want drinks and appetizers, this might be a good spot, overlooking the river.Special Features:
- The following 49 reviews are from the Tavern on the Gore reviews archive.
- Service..what service8outagainDined on 6/7/2014The food was the normal pub grub but good, but the service was not. We asked to sit on the patio but they were having a special event. This was fine except that the event was over and they sat the next table outside. Our waiter didn't even seem to mentally be present. There were others there to keep our water glasses full and to bring the things the waiter kept forgetting. We did enjoy the buffaloes burgers.Special Features:
- An excellent "upscale" casualOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/5/2014An excellent "upscale" casual sports bar. Food is better than vail's other casual dining at this price point.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vail VillageOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/23/2014Great meal at Tavern on The Gore. great service. will go there again next year!Special Features:
- Accurate descriptionCCWPHDDined on 3/20/2014It is an upscale sports bar as described -tv at your table was good for NCAA tournament but no sound and more of a restaurant than a sports bar scene! Food was flavorful but I would stick with local beers over cocktails.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful ViewCamelliaVIPDined on 3/20/2014We had a lovely window table and enjoyed the view of Gore Creek. We were disappointed that the first three items that my husband and I requested were not available. Our meals were ok, nothing special. The restaurant is part sports bar with tvs at some of the tables. The food is a cross between bar food and level up.Special Features:
- Service an issueDreaDined on 2/28/2014Our waiter was less than welcoming, unresponsive and gave inappropriate, responses to our questions and requests. Heard him treating the next table the same way. So unprofessional and it made us uncomfortable.Special Features:
- So Much Potential...But Needs WorkPhillyPhoodieVIPDined on 2/24/2014After last night's 5-star meal at Mountain Standard, this was a real let down. The location is great, but for tavern-like food, there's a lot better to choose from in term of food quality.
- A disappointing nightMikeDined on 2/17/2014We were very disappointed in the menu. Although they offered half price oysters, which was an unexpected treat, there weren't many other selections. Only streak was a flatiron steak, and fish offerings didn't seem too special. Ribs are highly rated, but they were out of them at 7pm. We had a very mediocre artichoke dip a glass of wine and went somewhere else for a steak. Waitress was very attentive and accommodating even after she realized we probably weren't going to stay for dinner.Special Features:
- Excellent meal and would dine againVailSkier2014Dined on 2/16/2014Made the reservation on Open Table and there was a table ready when we walked in. We ordered the buffalo sirloin steak, the bison burger, a salad with added elk. All three dishes were prepared well, and the portions were large enough that a 16 yr old boy did not finish his burger and fries after a day of skiing. Excellent meal and would dine again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good casual restaurant in vailMichluvs2dineVIPDined on 2/4/2014Great view of the gore creek from the small dining room. Went with a ski group of 9. Lots of variety on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceMomsullyDined on 1/30/2014The first time we went we enjoyed it very much the service that time was great, so when we were thinking of where to eat our last night we decided to go back. The food was very good, nice variety on the menu, but the server we had the second time wasn't nearly as pleasant as the first, if we hadn't had such a positive experience the first time we probably wouldn't have gone back. Many times when dining out the staff can make or break the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for lunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/18/2014My group had a great time at lunch. The restaurant sits right in the Gore river allowing for scenic views. It a also conveniently located right in Vail Village. I had the Anteloupe Pastrami sandwich for lunch. It was fantastic. I tried their signature "Tavern Burger" and enjoyed that too. Their beer and wine menu is also sufficient and not overly priced. I would recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible service with average foodJennyVIPDined on 1/2/2014We arrived on time for our 7:15 reservation and were given a great booth with its own television set -- we requested this based on Avalanche game scheduled for that night. Our waiter was very slow getting to the table initially and we ordered cocktails and dinner at once since we had hungry kids with us. Salad and drinks arrived promptly, but it was another hour before dinner arrived (chicken wings, a burger and a half rack of ribs). We felt as if our waiter was avoiding our table as dinner was taking so long and he could only say "it will be right out" so many times. Food finally arrived -- though it was another 10 minutes for side of fries ordered with the meal, and the food was very average. TVs constantly blacking out as well.
- Food Average, Ambience GoodSandyVIPDined on 1/1/2014The drinks and service were very good. I ordered the burger medium, which was dry and somewhat tasteless. The truffle fries were good. Overall the food was average compared to the offerings in Vail. Great location and good ambience.
- Enviromental and Delicious DelightOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/26/2013I loved looking out onto the gorge as we ate our dinner. Our group had a variety of meals from steak to chicken and all were delicious. The service was quick and very helpful with our choices of food and wine. We would definitely return to the Tavern on the Gorge.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- underwhelmingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/25/2013The food was just not very good. Salad dressing tasted like it came from a bottle. Portions small. Chowder was so thick you could slice it with a knife.
- Made a reservation for a ChristmasmorandcVIPDined on 12/25/2013Made a reservation for a Christmas lunch & turned out to be a great choice. Service was very good & the food was imaginative & plentiful. The Elk Chilli is notworthy. Order a cup just for the taste. A great find in Vail Villiage; just around the corner from the Covered Bridge with great views of the creek.Special Features:
- Excellent meal and service.MickeyVIPDined on 12/24/2013Very nice restaurant in the heart of Vail. Food was outstanding for a casual dining establishment. The prices were much more affordable than some of the other restaurants in the same area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for watching a game!NewAdventuresDined on 9/23/2013We had a booth with our own TV to watch a Bronco game! The food was very good - and they run specials all the time. For a restaurant in Vail - this was also very reasonable. We will definitely go back next time we are in Vail!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great choiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/28/2013Great salads...can choose between small (good sized) or regular and add meat or fish if you want to make it heartier. Wait staff was very helpful Variety of food selections left everybody happy. Burgers were done perfectly. Crab Cake appetizer was proclaimed delicious by my picky 84 year old aunt. Split a YUMMY apple pie a la mode for dessert three ways. You won't leave hungry and the prices are reasonable, especially for the core of Vail Village.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hit the spot-view and seafood!GigiDined on 8/7/201320th Anniversary dinner with one of our kids. Outside seating view of creek awesome and night fell and all if the lights were amazing! He loved the clam, mussels and bread and shrimp and scallop scampi in a delicious sauce. We had crab cakes with two homemade sauces that you couldn't help but to eat the bed of lettuce too. The NY strip was just a poor cut and had little flavor. But the mushroom and onion sauce on top was delicious. The wine list was appropriate and not overly priced. We did have to ask for silverware thought?!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fairly basicBooteatsDined on 8/1/2013Hard to differentiate yourself I the Vail dining scene. This place is a middle if the road spot that serves standard American food at reasonable prices. That's a plus among the higher priced neighbors. Their oysters are a good deal at $3 ea and fresh. The steaks were cooked well as was the fish. Service was nothing to brag about and the hostess looked downright bored and wanted to be elsewhere. I'm not a fan of having a TV in my booth and didn't expect the place to be of a sports bar in that regards. There are better places to eat in Vail but if you want someplace that will serve you a good meal at reasonable prices this place works well.Special Features:
- lovely spot to celebratetarheeldinerVIPDined on 7/27/2013It might not be the fanciest place in Vail, but it's really hard to beat sitting outside on their patio eating a delicious dinner after sampling some of their interesting mixed drinks. We were a very large group, with dietary restrictions, and small children, and they took it all in stride. We very much enjoyed our evening there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reservations..what good are they??Vailin2013Dined on 7/22/2013Reservations were not on 'file' at the restaurant..had to wait 20 minutes for our table....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good dining experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/11/2013My wife and I tried Tavern on the Gore for the first time the other night. We would have liked to sit outside but it was raining so we settled for an inside table, but we still had a good view of the creek and the village. The appetizer that we ordered was very good and was also very large. I will definitely go back if just for that reason. My wife and I ordered beef tips and a New York Strip. Both were good, but I would have preferred that they have more seasoning. Overall they were still very good. Our waitress was very friendly and the service was great. We had a great meal at a reasonable price with great service. We will definitely be back and thanks for the wonderful evening! H. BrownSpecial Features:
- Went there with 2 eight yearOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/27/2013Went there with 2 eight year olds and 2 adults. We ordered salads with crab cakes, bowls of clam chowder and Mac and cheese meal. The food was so so. Crab cake was mushy and small. Salad itself was good but not great. Clam chowder was in bread bowls were more on the clam side with very little potato if that is what you like. Very good chowder. Do not get the kids Mac and cheese. Looked like Kraft and was completely dried out. We had to send it back. Plenty of good restaurants to go to in Vail. We will not be going back to this one. Oh and also it took them 40 minutes to get our food to us even when it was 8:15 at night.Special Features:
- Just not worth the money,RichardVIPDined on 3/16/2013Just not worth the money, and probably thee worst steak I've ever been served, other than at Golden Coral.
- A GREAT ADDITION TO VAILNiceVIPDined on 3/9/2013TAVERN OF THE GORE IS A GREAT ADDITION TO VAIL. IT'S A CASUAL FEEL, IN A GREAT LOCATION AND WITH A GOOD ATMOSPHERE. THE GENERAL MANAGER, JOHN(?)HELPED PROVIDE GREAT SERVICE. HE WAS WORKING EVERY TABLE AND MADE THE EXPERIENCE MORE ENJOYABLE. THE FOOD WAS GOOD, GET THE CRABCAKES. SITTING OUT ON THE DECK OVERLOOKING THE GORE CREEK FOR APRE SKI WAS GREAT. THEY SHOULD ADD SOME HIGH-END BURGERS / SANDWICHES TO THE MENU.
- Most elegant sports bar ever!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/2/2013While there are TVs at each table, and many tables are hightops, this is no ordinary sports bar. Try the Colorado Striped Bass...delicious! Good wine list. Elegant ambiance.Special Features:
- Oysters great, bass excellentStephenMaddyDined on 2/23/2013Oysters great, bass excellent and some great vegetarian options.Special Features:
- Normal bar food. Best partOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/19/2013Normal bar food. Best part is that most booths / tables have their own flat screen tv. Good for families with teenage boys to watch sports!
- A delicious lunch breakMomsDayOffVIPDined on 2/19/2013We stopped in for lunch after a morning on the slopes. Delicious grilled chicken sandwiches and home made potato chips. Worth a visit.Special Features:
- Bison meatloaf was burnt onblavdunhVIPDined on 2/18/2013Bison meatloaf was burnt on bottom, seafood Marsala was overspiced and corn with ribs was over cooked and rubbery.Special Features:
- Food was fair at best, moreOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/16/2013Food was fair at best, more like pub food. There are much better restaurants in Vail.
- Watch the game in Vail.DiggerdownDined on 2/16/2013A lively contender in a crowded scene. There are screens showing sports at almost every table.Special Features:
- Nice option at Vail!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/15/2013Great spot. We went there after a few days of "fine dining" in Vail and it was a nice change. We are really not into TVs but if you are, there is one in every table. The food was nice - one of the entrees were late (the cook apparently burnt it) and they took it off the bill. Good beer selection, nice appetizers! And the atmosphere was great. Would go back!
- Solid Food, lovely service.OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 2/10/2013Solid Food, lovely service. Awesome fried green tomato, mozzarella bruschetta. Tasty shrimp and scallops. Very pleased with quality of food and experience. An unpretentious, delicious and enjoyable meal.