Tavern on the Coast
34212 Pacific Coast Hwy
Dana Point, CA 92629Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Tavern on the Coast
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.tavernonthecoast.com/
- Phone: (949) 415-5888
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday-Saturday 11:00am-4:00pm (Open all day)
Tuesday-Saturday 4:00pm-10:00pm (Open all day)
Sunday 4:00pm-9:00pm (Open all day)
Sunday Brunch: 9:00am-3:30pm (open all day);
Open for private parties or banquets only during Winter season starting November.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Vegetarian / Vegan
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Tavern on the Coast has an intimate enclosed private dining area featuring a long communal table that seats up to 12. Room amenities include telephone for conferencing, Wifi, and television for viewing or presentations. We offer our dining room menu or select menu created by Chef. Perfect for your next party!
- Private Party Contact: Veronica 9494155888x
A word from Tavern on the Coast
Now open for Lunch, Dinner and Brunch on Sunday, the Tavern brings Modern American Cuisine to the California Casual coast community. During Winter season we will be open for private parties and banquets only on Monday and closed for regular diner service. We are great place whether you are a large group, having a family's night out with your kids or are looking for date night or a few drinks at the bar. All of our ingredients are very thoughtfully sourced. All of our meat is prime, our fish is wild and our produce is organic or locally sourced. We look forward to seeing you soon!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Tavern on the Coast reviews from OpenTable diners
32 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (14)great for outdoor dining (12)fit for foodies (11)great for lunch (5)great for brunch (5)good for groups (4)kid-friendly (3)special occasion (3)notable wine list (3)late-night find (3)hot spot (2)vibrant bar scene (1)romantic (1)Show More
- Seems safeNoisyVIPDined on 11/21/2014The restaurant appears to be playing it safe, nothing extraordinary, nothing too exciting, nothing to complain about. I would defiantly try the restaurant againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The FoodLorilynnDined on 11/15/2014The food at "Tavern On the Coast" is awesome. Definitely a place to recommend for scrumptious food!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Warm welcome. FriendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014Good food. Good service. Friendly. We were pleasantly surprised to find the Tavern on the Coast. And to know the patio is Dog friendly. We will be back more often with our puppy. Great good. Good service & very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Doesn't Cut ItOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 11/1/2014In a nutshell, they are trying too hard to be something they are not. That is, fine dining. Very over priced, very average cuisine. The particularly galling aspect of this restaurant is their wine list. Not only is it lean on quality, long on price, but the wine list on their website is significantly less expensive than the list presented at the restaurant. Take the 2010 Berthet Rayn Carianne Vielles Vignes Rhone wine. On the website it is $38, at the restaurant they have it priced at $60. Really? This is a $17 wine. Shame on you. If I had known that, I would have brought my own wine and choked down your $20 corkage fee. This is Dana Point, not West LA. If you want to charge so much for your dishes, bring the quality up above average.
- AnniversaryDined on 10/31/2014We often come for dinner and especially like their attention to my need to avoid salt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice locationDiscerningDinerVIPDined on 10/25/2014This is a nice lookng restaurant that I had been meaning to try. The aesthetics are very classic and it looks like a great place to enjoy a nice glass of wine. However I felt the food on this visit did not measure up. I ordered the shrimp scampi appetizer and got 4 pieces of shrimp and the only thing I could taste was lemon, this dish was so overpowered by lemon that it was not enjoyable. I then had the filet mignon, the steak was so tender and cut like butter except it didn't have any flavor. Very bland in spite of the bordelaise sauce. I would like to give this place another try in the future though.Special Features:
- Good food, a bit priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/24/2014Wines on wine list are almost 3x retail price for same from Total Wines or other such store. Food is well prepared, service was very good, menu had many great selections, although everything is ala carte. We enjoyed it, but felt it was a bit pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ConsistantbuytheshortsVIPDined on 10/17/2014We go here often. They offer a nice standard menu along with a few specials every night. The food is good and the service is attentive. The drinks could be a little more generous but all in all a good local spot.Special Features:
- DELICIOUSfrequentdinersDined on 10/12/2014It was our first time at Tavern on the Coast. The welcoming upon arrival was a great. The service very friendly and knowledgeable. And the food was delicious. It was a cool evening, but the outside dining looked very inviting with the fire going. The rack of lamb was so tender and seasoned wonderfully. Can't wait to go back and have it again!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/27/2014My girlfriend and I very much enjoyed the evening at Tavern. We will definitely come back.Special Features:
- Good food and servicejeffDined on 9/14/2014We were there for brunch with family. We ate in the private room with a TV. Everyone was happy and enjoyed the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Smelt like sulfurChristyVIPDined on 8/31/2014The whole restaurant smelled like sulfur horribly so the food might have been good but I felt like I was eating a skunk so it ruined the experience. I would not go back.
- unicornDined on 8/25/2014Our server was energetic and extremely helpful, and the food was good. Indoors, the music was extremely loud. The patio has been attached, however, to a most unfortunate location: the front is right on the Pacific Coast Highway where trucks merge into the north-bound lane and the side is on a street where many turn to unload. The main distraction on the patio, however, was the flies. We finally retreated back inside.
- empty. Noce service medium foodwinecountryeaterDined on 8/17/2014Mediocre meal at this apparently nice restaurant, but so odd we were the ONLY people there after half-way through our meal by 8:00 PM on a sunday night. We ate outside on the patio which, aside from the traffic noise, was lovely by the fireplace. The food was overpriced and so-so. Worst of all, my daughter got several significant bones in the FISH AND CHIPS which is inexcusable. Our super-nice waiter promptly brought a replacement dinner of meatballs but this was a real bummer. My sea scallops were good but not PERFECT (as hailed by our waiter), and my wife's mussels were nothing to write home about. For the price, food should be better. Overall, a nice time but would probably not go again unless we had the table by the fireplace.Special Features:
- OverpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/16/2014This place is not a bad option if they were to lower their price point by 20%. Nothing really bad but nothing really good. Our waitress was courteous and willing to please.
- Very FriendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/16/2014I was most taken by the friendliness of the management and staff.Special Features:
- Nice family dinnerSBRCDined on 8/1/2014Nice ambiance, solid food. The kids had the flatbread and burger. They polished them off so must've been good. I had the halibut--a very large piece--which was cooked nicely. The Tavern Martini was delicious. The only item that fell a bit short was the duck confit salad. The duck confit wasn't much more than cold dark duck meat which was a bit disappointing. The service was efficient. Our booth backed up to the kitchen entrance and so we endured a little kitchen racket. The restaurant is right on PCH so I imagine a seat on the patio might be a bit noisy. Overall, thumbs up.
- The following 115 reviews are from the Tavern on the Coast reviews archive.
- Can't Wait to Go Back for Dinnerndm012379Dined on 7/27/2014I went there for brunch and had the special, which was biscuits and gravy with eggs, sausage, and hashbrowns. I definitely had plenty to bring home and enjoyed it again the following day. The food was very good. Our waiter, Justin was great. Funny and attentive. With the PCH traffic, I thought the patio was a little too loud.Special Features:
- Tavern on the coastZippywebbVIPDined on 7/18/2014The staff here at Tavern on the Coast are very friendly and accommodating. Our group of 5 and 4 dogs sat outside on the patio. We love being able to go out to dinner with our furry companions!! Loved their charcuterie plate. They have a nice wine list that isn't overpriced. We all loved our dinners. The seared ahi was divine! The service is great. We will come back again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a Tavern and no Coastal ViewEReidDined on 6/27/2014We aren't from the area and we were hoping for something closer to the water. Food was very good, meaty clam chowder and local tomato salad was flavorful. Service was very slow and the patio overlooked the parking lot or a construction site.
- food4lifeDined on 6/21/2014this is a go to restaurant for excellent food & service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time... Loved itRSSCDined on 6/15/2014Came to celebrate my wife's birthday with a group of 9. Fantastic service and food! First time here, and we're making a point to coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The TavernSCDinerDined on 6/14/2014Food is average. Drinks and entrees are a bit pricey. Outside patio very noisy, but it was our choice to sit outside.
- Dinner at the Tavern on the CoastcapocarolDined on 5/31/2014Thankfully this restaurant has had new management in place for a few months. That has improved the experience tremendously. I have eaten here for Brunch, Lunch, and Dinner and have enjoyed a well prepared, nicely presented meal every time. Our service for dinner this week was really outstanding. So far I have tried the steak and eggs for brunch, Yellowtail special Asian style for dinner, and the Reuben sandwich for lunch yummy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- uogradparentsDined on 5/23/2014Fantastic menu.... our server was friendly and fun - not over the top like some. The flavors and smells when our food arrived were fantastic. It was a 10+ evening. Great to have a place like this in Dana point.Special Features:
- foodVIPDined on 5/17/2014A little pricey. We will return but plan to not sit near the open kitchen which raised the noise level substantially.Special Features:
- Restaurant revitalizing Dana PointOliviaDined on 5/11/2014The food was amazing. The service was perfect. My family had a great time there. The decor and atmosphere is impressive as well. Thank you! Dana Point really needed a restaurant like this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sous ChefOpenTableManVIPDined on 5/4/2014This place has been open for about a year, or so. It's going through a transition. Starting off as a 'fine dining restaurant', it's going lower in price point. Maybe it's to attract more customers. But then, it's located in Dana Point. People tend to spend the day on their boats (or at the beach) and are looking for a casual place for dinner. We went in for a late dinner on a Sunday. Not many customers in the place. I think the sous chef was bored. He made an excellent steak for me. Later, he comes up to my table and tells me that he put truffle butter on my steak. That made it every bit as good as EnoSteak (in the Ritz-Carlton) up the street. Based on this meal, I'll be back many more times.Special Features:
- Getting betterbuytheshortsVIPDined on 5/2/2014Been here several times and was disappointed, but this was a far better experience. Service was quick and the food was very good. It was not very crowded at all. There are some new staff members and hopefully they can keep the improvement going.Special Features:
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/12/2014The service was awesome! We went for my daughters 18th Birthday and the place was amazing!Special Features:
- Good Food, Spendy Prices, LoudOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/5/2014At the main entrance from the "courtyard" the signage was not visibly from where we parked so we ended up walking in through the patio by mistake - something we saw a lot of people doing. There are a portable chalk board sign in the courtyard when we left which would have been visible from the parking lot but didn't have the restaurant name on it. The food was very good (with the exception of bland calamari). But the prices were too high. The restaurant looks lovely, but being seated at a booth that backs directly to the kitchen prep area is less than ideal - you get to listen to the wait staff chitchat (complain) while they stand around because they aren't very busy. Then, as the place fills up the entire restaurant gets really loud.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceDiningWithRosesDined on 4/4/2014Justin was a great server and gave great recommendations (try the Eggplant Caprese and the Beignets with caramel sauce!!). Manager came to check on us and shook our hands as we left. Very personable staff!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Find in Dana PointLW18Dined on 3/31/2014I heard about this restaurant from a work associate and took a couple of friends to dinner here. The food was good and reasonably priced. We were there on a Monday night and it was a light crowd and they said it gets busier later in the week so you probably will need reservations.Special Features:
- Been driving by this restaurantOrtega1Dined on 3/28/2014Been driving by this restaurant in our neighborhood for weeks and finally dined there and had a fantastic meal. The Halibut (special of the night) was outstanding, but I was surprised at the cost of $39. For mashed potatoes and halibut and I added a vegetable of green beans which makes the dish $45.!! That was a but high for that entree... The margarita pizza was wonderful too. My husband ordered the burger and said it was one of the better burgers he has had. We ordered carrot cake and it came chilled and firm with very good flavor, however it seemed just a wee but dry, but perhaps that was due to it being refrigerated. I would try a different dessert next time. All in all, please try this restaurant out!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tavern reviewRonlVIPDined on 3/16/2014The food, service and ambiance for our brunch were very good. We will go again and try them for dinner. Brunch is highly recommended,Special Features:
- The good and the badBethVIPDined on 2/23/2014We have eaten here 3 times and each time were disappointed. I had the lentil soup which was quite good. We each had the chopped chicken salad and could have done better at a fast food place. The lettuce was mostly white, the chicken was not fresh baked in house; rather it was the packaged variety. That was obvious because the cubes were perfectly shaped and the meat had a lot of sodium and water. There was nothing about this salad, especially the $13 cost that would impress anyone. My dining partner had the meatball appetizer which he liked. I tasted the sauce and it was not great but good. I would be reluctant to go back unless we hear that something has changed dramatically.
- Good bar and reasonable food.pH123VIPDined on 2/23/2014Good bar and reasonable food. Outdoor dining area, but no view.
- Sarcastic WaiterOpenTableManVIPDined on 2/22/2014The company was great, as was the food. Just that the waiter was a bit obnoxious. He commits the cardinal sin of bringing the bill before we were done ordering (we wanted dessert). Obviously, he wanted to close out the table. We complained to the manager. So, the waiter apologies 'insincerely'. Then after we are finished with dessert, he's rude enough to ask "can I give this to you now?". Life is too short to experience rude waiters. If I come back, I'll make sure I don't get this guy's table.Special Features:
- LovelyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/15/2014I like it, still in love with "ti amo restaurant ", Definitely I will come backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The service was exceptional,LauralAnnVIPDined on 2/14/2014The service was exceptional, the setting romantic. I would have given a higher rating except for the price of the dishes would lend themselves to being perfectly prepared. The lamb was all but raw. Everything else was good and nicely presented.Special Features: