Tavern on the Coast
34212 Pacific Coast Hwy
Dana Point, CA 92629Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Tavern on the Coast
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.tavernonthecoast.com/
- Phone: 9494155888x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday-Saturday 11:30am-3:30pm (Open all day)
Monday-Saturday 4:00pm-10:00pm (Open all day)
Sunday 4:00pm-9:00pm (Open all day)
Sunday Brunch: 10:30am-3:30pm (open all day);
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Vegetarian / Vegan
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Tavern on the Coast has an intimate enclosed private dining area featuring a long communal table that seats up to 12. Room amenities include telephone for conferencing, Wifi, and television for viewing or presentations. We offer our dining room menu or select menu created by Chef. Perfect for your next party!
- Private Party Contact: Veronica 9494155888x
A word from Tavern on the Coast
Tavern on the Coast- where California casual meets Modern American cuisine. We will feature fresh local ingredients, wild seafood, prime beef and an extensive wine portfolio and craft cocktails. The decor is inviting with a rich warm interior.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Tavern on the Coast reviews from OpenTable diners
30 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (15)great for outdoor dining (11)good for groups (9)fit for foodies (9)great for brunch (7)special occasion (7)great for lunch (6)kid-friendly (6)notable wine list (6)late-night find (4)hot spot (4)romantic (3)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/27/2014My girlfriend and I very much enjoyed the evening at Tavern. We will definitely come back.Special Features:
- Good food and servicejeffDined on 9/14/2014We were there for brunch with family. We ate in the private room with a TV. Everyone was happy and enjoyed the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Smelt like sulfurChristyVIPDined on 8/31/2014The whole restaurant smelled like sulfur horribly so the food might have been good but I felt like I was eating a skunk so it ruined the experience. I would not go back.
- unicornDined on 8/25/2014Our server was energetic and extremely helpful, and the food was good. Indoors, the music was extremely loud. The patio has been attached, however, to a most unfortunate location: the front is right on the Pacific Coast Highway where trucks merge into the north-bound lane and the side is on a street where many turn to unload. The main distraction on the patio, however, was the flies. We finally retreated back inside.
- empty. Noce service medium foodwinecountryeaterDined on 8/17/2014Mediocre meal at this apparently nice restaurant, but so odd we were the ONLY people there after half-way through our meal by 8:00 PM on a sunday night. We ate outside on the patio which, aside from the traffic noise, was lovely by the fireplace. The food was overpriced and so-so. Worst of all, my daughter got several significant bones in the FISH AND CHIPS which is inexcusable. Our super-nice waiter promptly brought a replacement dinner of meatballs but this was a real bummer. My sea scallops were good but not PERFECT (as hailed by our waiter), and my wife's mussels were nothing to write home about. For the price, food should be better. Overall, a nice time but would probably not go again unless we had the table by the fireplace.Special Features:
- OverpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/16/2014This place is not a bad option if they were to lower their price point by 20%. Nothing really bad but nothing really good. Our waitress was courteous and willing to please.
- Very FriendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/16/2014I was most taken by the friendliness of the management and staff.Special Features:
- Nice family dinnerSBRCDined on 8/1/2014Nice ambiance, solid food. The kids had the flatbread and burger. They polished them off so must've been good. I had the halibut--a very large piece--which was cooked nicely. The Tavern Martini was delicious. The only item that fell a bit short was the duck confit salad. The duck confit wasn't much more than cold dark duck meat which was a bit disappointing. The service was efficient. Our booth backed up to the kitchen entrance and so we endured a little kitchen racket. The restaurant is right on PCH so I imagine a seat on the patio might be a bit noisy. Overall, thumbs up.
- Can't Wait to Go Back for Dinnerndm012379Dined on 7/27/2014I went there for brunch and had the special, which was biscuits and gravy with eggs, sausage, and hashbrowns. I definitely had plenty to bring home and enjoyed it again the following day. The food was very good. Our waiter, Justin was great. Funny and attentive. With the PCH traffic, I thought the patio was a little too loud.Special Features:
- Tavern on the coastZippywebbDined on 7/18/2014The staff here at Tavern on the Coast are very friendly and accommodating. Our group of 5 and 4 dogs sat outside on the patio. We love being able to go out to dinner with our furry companions!! Loved their charcuterie plate. They have a nice wine list that isn't overpriced. We all loved our dinners. The seared ahi was divine! The service is great. We will come back again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a Tavern and no Coastal ViewEReidDined on 6/27/2014We aren't from the area and we were hoping for something closer to the water. Food was very good, meaty clam chowder and local tomato salad was flavorful. Service was very slow and the patio overlooked the parking lot or a construction site.
- food4lifeDined on 6/21/2014this is a go to restaurant for excellent food & service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time... Loved itRSSCDined on 6/15/2014Came to celebrate my wife's birthday with a group of 9. Fantastic service and food! First time here, and we're making a point to coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The TavernSCDinerDined on 6/14/2014Food is average. Drinks and entrees are a bit pricey. Outside patio very noisy, but it was our choice to sit outside.
- The following 109 reviews are from the Tavern on the Coast reviews archive.
- Dinner at the Tavern on the CoastcapocarolDined on 5/31/2014Thankfully this restaurant has had new management in place for a few months. That has improved the experience tremendously. I have eaten here for Brunch, Lunch, and Dinner and have enjoyed a well prepared, nicely presented meal every time. Our service for dinner this week was really outstanding. So far I have tried the steak and eggs for brunch, Yellowtail special Asian style for dinner, and the Reuben sandwich for lunch yummy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- uogradparentsDined on 5/23/2014Fantastic menu.... our server was friendly and fun - not over the top like some. The flavors and smells when our food arrived were fantastic. It was a 10+ evening. Great to have a place like this in Dana point.Special Features:
- foodVIPDined on 5/17/2014A little pricey. We will return but plan to not sit near the open kitchen which raised the noise level substantially.Special Features:
- Restaurant revitalizing Dana PointOliviaDined on 5/11/2014The food was amazing. The service was perfect. My family had a great time there. The decor and atmosphere is impressive as well. Thank you! Dana Point really needed a restaurant like this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sous ChefOpenTableManVIPDined on 5/4/2014This place has been open for about a year, or so. It's going through a transition. Starting off as a 'fine dining restaurant', it's going lower in price point. Maybe it's to attract more customers. But then, it's located in Dana Point. People tend to spend the day on their boats (or at the beach) and are looking for a casual place for dinner. We went in for a late dinner on a Sunday. Not many customers in the place. I think the sous chef was bored. He made an excellent steak for me. Later, he comes up to my table and tells me that he put truffle butter on my steak. That made it every bit as good as EnoSteak (in the Ritz-Carlton) up the street. Based on this meal, I'll be back many more times.Special Features:
- Getting betterbuytheshortsVIPDined on 5/2/2014Been here several times and was disappointed, but this was a far better experience. Service was quick and the food was very good. It was not very crowded at all. There are some new staff members and hopefully they can keep the improvement going.Special Features:
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/12/2014The service was awesome! We went for my daughters 18th Birthday and the place was amazing!Special Features:
- Good Food, Spendy Prices, LoudOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/5/2014At the main entrance from the "courtyard" the signage was not visibly from where we parked so we ended up walking in through the patio by mistake - something we saw a lot of people doing. There are a portable chalk board sign in the courtyard when we left which would have been visible from the parking lot but didn't have the restaurant name on it. The food was very good (with the exception of bland calamari). But the prices were too high. The restaurant looks lovely, but being seated at a booth that backs directly to the kitchen prep area is less than ideal - you get to listen to the wait staff chitchat (complain) while they stand around because they aren't very busy. Then, as the place fills up the entire restaurant gets really loud.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceDiningWithRosesDined on 4/4/2014Justin was a great server and gave great recommendations (try the Eggplant Caprese and the Beignets with caramel sauce!!). Manager came to check on us and shook our hands as we left. Very personable staff!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Find in Dana PointLW18Dined on 3/31/2014I heard about this restaurant from a work associate and took a couple of friends to dinner here. The food was good and reasonably priced. We were there on a Monday night and it was a light crowd and they said it gets busier later in the week so you probably will need reservations.Special Features:
- Been driving by this restaurantOrtega1Dined on 3/28/2014Been driving by this restaurant in our neighborhood for weeks and finally dined there and had a fantastic meal. The Halibut (special of the night) was outstanding, but I was surprised at the cost of $39. For mashed potatoes and halibut and I added a vegetable of green beans which makes the dish $45.!! That was a but high for that entree... The margarita pizza was wonderful too. My husband ordered the burger and said it was one of the better burgers he has had. We ordered carrot cake and it came chilled and firm with very good flavor, however it seemed just a wee but dry, but perhaps that was due to it being refrigerated. I would try a different dessert next time. All in all, please try this restaurant out!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tavern reviewRonlDined on 3/16/2014The food, service and ambiance for our brunch were very good. We will go again and try them for dinner. Brunch is highly recommended,Special Features:
- The good and the badBethVIPDined on 2/23/2014We have eaten here 3 times and each time were disappointed. I had the lentil soup which was quite good. We each had the chopped chicken salad and could have done better at a fast food place. The lettuce was mostly white, the chicken was not fresh baked in house; rather it was the packaged variety. That was obvious because the cubes were perfectly shaped and the meat had a lot of sodium and water. There was nothing about this salad, especially the $13 cost that would impress anyone. My dining partner had the meatball appetizer which he liked. I tasted the sauce and it was not great but good. I would be reluctant to go back unless we hear that something has changed dramatically.
- Good bar and reasonable food.pH123VIPDined on 2/23/2014Good bar and reasonable food. Outdoor dining area, but no view.
- Sarcastic WaiterOpenTableManVIPDined on 2/22/2014The company was great, as was the food. Just that the waiter was a bit obnoxious. He commits the cardinal sin of bringing the bill before we were done ordering (we wanted dessert). Obviously, he wanted to close out the table. We complained to the manager. So, the waiter apologies 'insincerely'. Then after we are finished with dessert, he's rude enough to ask "can I give this to you now?". Life is too short to experience rude waiters. If I come back, I'll make sure I don't get this guy's table.Special Features:
- LovelyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/15/2014I like it, still in love with "ti amo restaurant ", Definitely I will come backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The service was exceptional,LauralAnnVIPDined on 2/14/2014The service was exceptional, the setting romantic. I would have given a higher rating except for the price of the dishes would lend themselves to being perfectly prepared. The lamb was all but raw. Everything else was good and nicely presented.Special Features:
- Top NotchOut4dinnerDined on 2/14/2014From beginning to end our meal was delicious! We started with tender, flavorful Calamari. My husband enjoyed a Spinach & Pear Salad and tender Lamb Chops, I enjoyed the Beet Salad and the perfectly cook Sea Bass (Yum!!). We finished off this amazing meal with a delicious slice of Cheese Cake w/berries. Everything about this restaurant is Top Notch!!! We'll definitely return often!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PickypickyVIPDined on 2/8/2014Everything was good. Haf spicy salmon w/ pasta. Very good. Date had special of pasta & steak mushrooms. Very good.Special Features:
- CoastiebwhitfieldVIPDined on 2/7/2014Tavern on the Coast has been an excellent find since they first opened. Their menu has great variety and the nightly specials are always a great choice. The interior finishes, staff and service are excellent. We visit them frequently! An added surprise Friday night was a special friend from Farrantelli's who poured our wine and paid special attention to our needs throughout the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I really like Tavern! ThegrancyDined on 1/4/2014I really like Tavern! The food is excellent, although very pricey. Ambiance was much better this time as it wasn't so crowded, thus reducing the noice level and upping the enjoyment factor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A work in progressMichaelVIPDined on 12/28/2013Overall a very nice experience with a few caveats. One of my pet peeves is always when an occasion is not acknowledged. We went for a birthday and told them this in the reservation. Not a single mention or even a "Happy Birthday." Very disappointing. The hostess was not very attentive. When we arrived she was talking and taking pictures of a baby. She did not turn around and acknowledge us. She continued for almost a minute while totally ignoring us. Not exactly a welcome environment for the first visit to a restaurant. Then she sat us in the bar which we were also not thrilled with. Our server was so so. On the good side, the food was terrific although a bit pricey. We will probably give them another chance since we live closeI would recommend this to a friend.
- Needed in Dana PointdpeatDined on 12/7/2013We are thrilled to have a restaurant that offers great food, lovely ambiance and can accommodate allergies knowledgably. Thank you Tavern on the Coast. you are our new go to place to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!JohnVIPDined on 12/7/2013Best restaurant we have found in Dana Point. Excellent food and service. Brian was great as was the whole staff and experience. Steak cooked to perfection. Sea bass also outstanding. Will make this first on the list. Also, side note, Lois the host made us feel very welcome .Special Features:
- Not Goodmont527Dined on 12/5/2013We had the buttermilk chicken and meatloaf. The chicken was overdone and tasteless. My wife ate a few bites of the meatloaf and quit. The vegetables, beans and broccoli were ok, but had way too much garlic. Service was attentive and the noise level was very high, even though there weren't very many patrons.
- Highly RecommendedDanaPointResidentDined on 11/30/2013We were spoiled by our attentive waiter at this beautifully designed restaurant. My Chilean Sea Bass was so fresh it wiggled and melted like butter in my mouth. The gourmet sides were unique and flavorful and the wine was delicious. It was nice to be able to sit outside on a cold winter evening in a romantic setting next to the fireplace and still feel cozy and warm with the very efficient heat lamps. The waiter was able to turn down my husband's heat lamp and turn mine up so we both were comfortable. I would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.