Tavern on the Bay Resort
800 Bay Ave
Somers Point, NJ 08244Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Tavern on the Bay Resort
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.tavernonthebayresort.com/
- Phone: 6099263500x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Saturday & Sunday: 12:00pm - 2:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 4:00pm - 10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Jim Furmanski
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Cigar Room, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Live entertainment nightly, both DJs and live bands.
A word from Tavern on the Bay Resort
Tavern on the Bay is a Southern New Jersey historical landmark. Housed in a Victorian mansion built in 1884, it is equipped with a bar, restaurant, and a marina. It is located in the quaint and charming sea village of Somers Point, just a 15-minute drive to Atlantic City, NJ.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Tavern on the Bay Resort reviews from OpenTable diners
29 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (23)great for outdoor dining (14)vibrant bar scene (6)neighborhood gem (4)good for groups (4)special occasion (3)romantic (3)fit for foodies (2)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (1)late-night find (1)notable wine list (1)great for lunch (0)hot spot (0)Show More
- DISAPPOINTED-could be greatehtBobDined on 9/20/2014Although the server was attentive and cordial there were important things overlooked. First, with a limited menu we would expect some expertise on those dishes. The crab in the crab cakes was obviously frozen leaving the crab with a watery taste. Also, the requested and promised tartar sauce never arrived. Although the rib eye steak was requested to be cooked medium it was presented extremely well done. We were the only patrons when we arrived so the kitchen could not have been in the weeds. There were several people enjoying happy hour at the outside bar which we assume resulted in the ladies room being deplorable. one toilet did not flush and the trash cans were overflowing resulting in paper being all over the bathroom.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/31/2014First time here since they changed hands again. I thought the menu was limited. I ordered the rib eye steak and it was good. They did away with the valet parking and it was very difficult to find a parking spot. Our waiter was very pleasant and provided good service.Special Features:
- Only averageLuvanightoutDined on 8/31/2014Disappointed in a bayside dinner. Had reservations but initially staff was disorganized and took a while to get seated. Service wasn't extraordinary. Soup was cold- was told that someone pulled the plug by accident. For a bayside restaurant they had a limited seafood and fish menu. Made comment that we probably wouldn't return. I don't have a problem spending money for a nice supper, but this was expensive and the food was average.Special Features:
- Stay AwayVetnStephDined on 8/29/2014My girlfriend and I went there for dinner on Friday night of labor day weekend. I wasn't sure when I would get down so we waited and picked Tavern on the Bay just based off availability. We saw the bad reviews but I'm an optimist and gave it a try. When we got there it was mostly empty, which should have been a warning. Without going to elaborate details this place was the biggest JOKE I've ever seen. I felt like a camera crew was going to come out and say we were on a hidden camera show with the hilariousness that was their staff, food, and even the other patrons at the restraunt. Just stay away and you can thank me later.Special Features:
- This place strikes outOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/27/2014When we walked in and were not greeted and had to search for someone to be seated it should have been a sign to turn around. You'll read plenty of conflicting reviews about this place. I went in with an open mind but left knowing I'm not going back ever. Save yourself the terrible experience. The staff is not knowledgable about their menu, we were given bread with no plates, the drinks had a distinct taste of dishsoap and generally the only thing good about the place is the view. It is truly ashame because this place has tremendous potential but would truly need a visit from Gordon Ramsey to save it. We were told they were disorganized because it was early. At 6pm the place was empty. Take that as a sign.Special Features:
- Slower than slow!BergenmomVIPDined on 8/26/2014Drinks shouldn't take 15 min. to arrive especially with 2 bartenders & only 5 tables occupied. I think there may have been only one in the kitchen since food was very slow to arrive. A no go!Special Features:
- Definitely not worth itOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/23/2014This was our first and probably last visit. When we arrived the restaurant wasn't busy. It took over 1.5 hours to get our food from the time we ordered. Also we had to keep asking the waitress for things. The salmon wasn't cooked properly and had to be sent back. We were a party of 9 and one of us had to wait another 20 minutes for their meal. This is unacceptable, especially for the price. They did have music which made our experience somewhat enjoyable but it was loud.Special Features:
- Severely DisappointedSparkmanVIPDined on 8/20/2014Don't be fooled by the "Resort" name in the photos for the restaurant. My wife and I were very disappointed with our meals. We both had the Salmon, as some of the previous reviews said it was good. The fish itself was passable, but I had asked to have mine served with mashed potatoes and asparagus. The asparagus looked and tasted like it came from a can ... Awful. The mashed potatoes were cold. The clientele had kids running all over the outside deck. Definitely not a nice relaxing dinner we envisioned.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/16/2014Not a great experience. Asked for wine list, got told only house wines, which turned out to be incorrect. Service was poor, waited way too long for appetizers to come
- Crowded and slowJF3statesDined on 8/16/2014First there was no valet parking as advertised. Next we sat outside and the music was very loud to accommodate the outside bar. Our waitress seemed frazzled even before the restaurant filled up and after we ordered, we didn't see her for 30 mins. We had to ask the hostess to find her for us. When the food came it was decent. The lobster Mac and cheese and jerk chicken were good and my salmon was actually really good. The risotto was very undercooked. Perhaps if we had been sitting inside the experience would have been better.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/16/2014The restaurant itself is quite lovely, and with great views of the bay, but the service and the food really need to be improved upon.Special Features:
- Dinner with a ViewluvdinneroutDined on 8/15/2014We were looking for a restaurant with a great view of the water and terrific food for dinner while we were on vacation and were told about the Tavern on the Bay Resort by the concierge at the resort we were staying at. It was indeed the perfect restaurant. As soon as we entered we were greeted warmly and given terrific service. The crabcake dish was the best I've tasted. Can't wait to go back when we return to the area next summer. It is a terrific place to have dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the bestMsTerriPDined on 8/6/2014Drink prices excessively high. Not very many entrees to choose from. It's a shame because it's only one of three places in Somers Point where you can actually sit by the open bay.Special Features:
- Scenic viewOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/5/2014The service was poor, waitress forgot to take the drink orders. The food was poor quality at best. Stick with the basic choices. Send Ramsey fast this place will not make itSpecial Features:
- Nice restaurant near bayStanVIPDined on 8/2/2014Location of restaurant is very nice with beautiful view of the bay and bar is also perfect with open view-also had wonderful singer for entertainmentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food,good serviceBentleyVIPDined on 7/31/2014Tried it twice this weekend. Once inside once outside(rain). Both goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulfoodloverDined on 7/28/2014I attended this restaurant with my parents on a Friday night and it was absolutely wonderful! The food was delicious and the service was great. As soon as we sat down, a busboy brought us bread and water and a waitress was over right away. We sat in the Bay Room, which is a room that sits along the bay, and it was beautiful! My mother and I both ordered the salmon and my father ordered the tuna and our entrees were delicious. The prices were very affordable and I definitely recommend coming here for a good night out.Special Features:
- The following 5 reviews are from the Tavern on the Bay Resort reviews archive.
- Great Restaurant with a ViewPicturemanDined on 12/8/2012Has the best views of the bay in Somers Point, a cozy bar and attentive bar staff that make you feel very welcome and special. The menu has something for everyone's taste, with a little flair to each dish. Moderately priced, and well-prepared food make this a real find. Hard to believe that they aren't more busy.Special Features:
- Enjoyed it very much, justTracieDined on 7/22/2012Enjoyed it very much, just wish it were not so expensive. We are locals and would love to stop once in awhile just to have a glass of wine and a lite bit but $50-60 is just too much for that and that has been a problem in the past with this location. However, the food is much better.Special Features:
- Don't waste your money. AverageRayJDined on 7/7/2012Don't waste your money. Average food and average service. No value for the price.Special Features:
- The service is excellent atjanjomiVIPDined on 11/6/2011The service is excellent at the bar and in the dining foom.Our experience was notable. We look forward to returning in the new year.Special Features:
- expected better!muttiDined on 8/15/2011Upon arrival we were ignored. There were few diners that evening and really no excuse not to be greeted at the door or station. With such a beautiful location and both indoor and outdoor bar area it's sinful not to have better service and food. We SO want this restaurant to succeed. When we dined here, before the remodel, the food was wonderful. This summer when my husband and I dropped in for drinks and bar food, we were not accommodated because the kitchen was "closing". With only one other customer at the indoor bar we thought we should have at least been offered options like nachos,pretzels, or a cheese tray. We live in OC in the summer, we'd love to make this our regular place to eat and hang, but 800 Bay will have to do better!