Tavern at Clover
2851 Clover Road
Rochester, NY 14534Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Tavern at Clover
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.tavernatclover.com/
- Phone: 5855465800x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am
Sunday: 3:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Mike Schnupp
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Tavern at Clover
A restaurant located in Rochester, NYContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Tavern at Clover reviews from OpenTable diners
91 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (38)fit for foodies (37)neighborhood gem (31)good for groups (28)great for outdoor dining (27)notable wine list (20)romantic (18)late-night find (12)great for lunch (11)great for brunch (7)kid-friendly (7)scenic view (7)hot spot (6)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- 2 different visitsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/13/2014I went to the restaurant a week ago with a group from work and it took all night long to get our food and dessert. Then I went with just my husband and the service was great. Dining upstairs is a better atmosphere. I would not go back if I had to sit downstairs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not enough foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014When my plate came it was elegantly presented. However I was disappointed in the quantity. I ordered the saurbraten, which was one of the reasons I came because I saw it on your menu online. I couldn't wait as I haven't had it since my german Mother in law passed away in 2011. It was good but it was only 1 shortrib and no sauce. My husband ordered a hamburger and said it was ok. The other 3 people in our party liked the food but thought there could have been more. With that being said the waiter was great and so was the ambiance. Think we will come for brunch next time.Special Features:
- Amazing meal & great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014We booked reservations online 15 minutes before we arrived, they were ready for us and we were seated right away, The appz were amazing as was our entire meal, would highly recommend for people looing for a after 8 table on a Friday night.Special Features:
- Not the bestGreatDined on 9/6/2014I have been to the original many times and have always had an amazing experience. This weekend we went to the location on Clover for my birthday and it was just ok. We all ordered steaks and the doneness was not correct for most of us - not sure if it was a cooking issue or a server problem. I ordered the quesadillas and it was missing chicken and olives. For my caesar salad - the dressing was so heavy it was almost too much to eat. All in all, the food was ok but clearly prepared by a different chef. The location is great and the atmosphere was wonderful. This location offers more room so you don't feel so cramped while eating. It was also a larger space with fewer tables so the noise allowed for more conversation without having to yell.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not there yetBillDined on 9/5/2014Sister restaurant Tavern 58 is a favorite of ours and I have fond memories of the Crystal Barn, so we have this a shot. Although not terrible by any stretch, I also can't say it's more than ok. Lets cover the good news first...service was excellent throughout. When my wife found the bottom bun on her crabby burger soaked with sauce (waiting too long under warmer?) our server replaced it right away and she enjoyed it after that. She would rate 4 stars, but I can't. My burger was somewhat overdone for medium...bordering on well and not juicy. The bread pudding was also a bit dry. Again, my overall rating is meh and I would go with Tavern 58 downtown instead.
- First visitOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/2/2014We enjoyed our dinner on a weeknight. The food was very good, great selection. It was pretty quiet when we left, hope it is busier on the weekends. We would definitely come back!Special Features:
- First visit under new ownershipBobHDined on 8/29/2014We were very glad to see that the new owner has revived one of Pittsford's long time favorite restaurants. Our meals, service and atmosphere were all above expectations. We have enjoyed Tavern 58 for several years and this 2nd venture - Tavern at Clover will also join our list of favorite stops!Special Features:
- New enjoyable restaurantpreppyDined on 8/25/2014We sat on the lower level inside. Our waiter was very attentive and efficient. Our drinks were well made. We love the shared salad concept that is also available at Tavern 58 which we enjoy going to. Our food was served very pleasing to the eye and our beef was cooked to our request. The tenderloin was a little tough which has not been the case previously at Tavern 58. The stuffed shrimp was excellent. We shared the bread pudding which had a good flavor. We would definitely go there again for our girls night out dinner.
- greatyoungatheartDined on 8/24/2014I frequently visit Tavern 58 downtown and thought I would give this location a try for a birthday celebration. The food was high quality and the service was excellent. We ate outside on the patio by the waterfall.Special Features:
- Great BrunchConnieDined on 8/24/2014Brunch includes $5 Bloody Mary bar - loved it. Food was great too. Reasonable prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday BrunchKPNLDined on 8/24/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our Sunday Brunch, the food was delicious and service was great! We will be back again.Special Features:
- thanks!EatoutalotDined on 8/23/2014Have visited your restaurant on Gibb for years and always had a great experience. Tried your new place and very glad I did.Special Features:
- Good service but there it ends...OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/23/2014Had the special seafood prix fixe menu. The wedge salad was just not up to par. The bread rolls were cold and hard. The seafood fettuccini was fair but the pasta was overcooked. The dessert was good (apple strudel). We had a very good waiter and being so convenient we wanted it to be good. Sadly it was not.
- VickyofPenfieldDined on 8/17/2014I love the restaurant itself, but the food was not up to par. Three of us went to dinner. Two of us had the wedge salad, and it was very small and not the traditional version, but also not good...just lettuce, a couple of cherry tomatoes and an odd dressing. The meat in each case was delicious, but the sides were not. Either they were overdone (burnt), tasteless or strange. We were very disappointed as we heard their brunch was very good.
- LetsnotcookDined on 8/15/2014We enjoyed the ambience and the menu was diverse. Food was tasty. The bread was a surprise because we didn't order dinners! The bar was friendly and my son enjoyed the suggested beer. Our only complaint was the service. Fortunately we were not in a hurry...service was very slow!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RobbieDined on 8/15/2014This was a repeat visit. Food was cooked just right and waiter was very efficient and fast. Nice evening.Special Features:
- A pleasant dinner with a friendWesternNYSVIPDined on 8/14/2014Had a good meal sharing some starter and a burger with a friend. The Rohrbach's Scotch Ale was a perfect accompaniment to the food. The restaurant was not too busy which made conversation easy. Server was very attentive and got plates split for us without asking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time at Tavern at CloverDickDined on 8/12/2014Had great food just like we have come to expect from the Tavern People. Hope the new location is successful. Loved the new location and will be back.Special Features:
- Tavern brings back life to the BarnfratrowDined on 8/9/2014It's been a while since lifeblood flowed through the old Crystal Barn, and Tavern at Clover has done just that. Great food and stellar service compliment one another to make an excellent experience. Try the chefs specials... They're worth the trip. Great wine list too... Try upstairs AND down for very different experiences. Being a date or a bunch of friends... They can handle either. My wife and I will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad we wentOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/9/2014My husband and I have been wanting to check out this restaurant for a while. We love their first restaurant, Tavern 58, and was hoping we would also love this one just as much. We ordered a bottle of white wine to start out with. It took longer than expected for the wine to arrive at our table. There also was no cooler for our white wine to be kept chilled. We then ordered two appetizers. One was really good (Smoked Shrimp), and the other not so good (Fried Peppers). My husbands seafood mix was okay. Seafood was fine, but the porridge was terrible. Server described it as risotto which it was nothing like that. My dinner (sea scallops) was very good. All in all, glad we went but we probably won't go back.Special Features:
- Good Food, Great Servicelulabell67Dined on 8/8/2014My family of 2 kids, my husband, and I had a very good meal. My 12 yr old had the grilled cheese of the day sandwich. Her dad and I thought was fabulous but because of the unexpected homemade, paper-thin pickles in the melted cheese she didn't like it. My 9 year old and I had the bolognese which delicious. My husband liked his steak although it was a bit short on the potato. For appetizers we had the calamari with the pineapple sauce. It was okay. I think maybe the calamari was breaded and baked and we prefer deep-friend. We also had the fresh vegetable spring rolls which I didn't care for but my 10 year old ate them all. The service was super! Only complaint: the tables are way too small. Nice single malt scotch selection, too.Special Features:
- Some concernsNothappyDined on 8/6/2014We made a reservation for a week night which definitely was not needed. The restaurant was not busy. We were seated next to another table. Why? There were many tables available and it would have been nice to have some space! The appetizer was better than my meal! Server was good but I was not offered a refill on my coffee. The wine pour was minimal. They probably get 6 pours per bottle. We will not be going back.
- PoorOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/26/2014The food was long time coming...staff were young and inexpereinced
- Saturday at the TaverncooksniteoutDined on 7/26/2014We enjoyed a wonderful Saturday evening dinner with a table next to large windows looking out over the sunken patio. It was the best of both worlds = the feeling of outdoor dining without the worry of rain or bugs! My friend and I enjoyed the stuffed shrimp and the risotto was wonderful. Our spouses had the schnitzel and the pork chops and we all cleaned our plates. The cheesecake trio was a refreshing change - not too heavy and with three different flavors was good for sharing. The wait-staff were friendly, helpful and efficient. Definitely worth another visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slightly Off but Worth TryingWillBeBackDined on 7/25/2014While the overall experience was very good there were a couple of question marks. The appetizer was bland - insufficient seasoning. Our second drinks wer slow in coming - they claimed the bar got backed up. We shared the house salad - the fruit and dressing were excellent. My wife asked for her steak medium rare but it came medium well - despite that it tasted very good so she didn't send it back. My crab ravioli filling was good and the pasta tender around the parts where the filling was but a bit rubbery at the edges. Also, the artichoke based topping was an interesting attempt but too strong of a taste - it covered the flavor of the crab filling. There will be a next time, but we will order something else.Special Features:
- Rude, poorly trained staffAbbyDined on 7/25/2014Although we had a reservation for 7 people, we were seated in the basement at a table set for 6. Our request for a table in the dinning room upstairs was ignored. We waited over 1 hour with no food; no bread or drink refills; and no service. Several times we asked to speak with a manager - but he never appeared. We waited another 15 min. and then we left - hungry and most disappointed since we have always been a big fan of Tavern 58. Wrote a letter to the owners about our dreadful experience - never received a response.
- Great placeGreatPlaceDined on 7/19/2014Nick and his team did a fantastic job. The food was great and the service was awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingROCloveDined on 7/18/2014This restaurant is close to our house, and we had high hopes that it could be a great new spot. Unfortunately, I don't think we will be going back. We briefly walked through the restaurant, and I'm glad we sat outside. The inside was dark and had a very pungent odor, almost fishy. We asked to be seated outside, and they took us out to the balcony and seated us at a small bar high top. We barely had enough room for our drinks and the bread, let alone our meals. The server wasn't terrible, but he wasn't attentive either, it took me almost 15 minutes just to get my drink. The food was fairly good, but a little pricey for what we got. Unfortunately, I'm not sure this location is going to survive, I really had high hopes for it.
- Great new place in PittsfordNancy333Dined on 7/14/2014We very much enjoyed our anniversary dinner at the Tavern at Clover. The waiter was very attentive, the food was great with reasonable size servings, including the salad. My husband got adventuresome and had the wild Boar, which was excellent, and even I enjoyed a taste or two. My filet was superb. We dined in the lower level near the outside courtyard, which was a wonderful and bright location. We have always enjoyed Tavern 58 at Gibbs downtown. This is a refreshing location in Pittsford near our home from the same owners.Special Features:
- Good Food, more servers.colder salaUVharveyDined on 7/11/2014Found the food above average for Rochester. Found our server quite personal, but the amount of tables he had, caused the service level to fall below average. If they want to succeed, they must clean up the service, keeps the food level up (portions were a little small, bit price was fair). Location is an issue, so the food must carry them! Clean up the details and I think they'll have a very successful restaurant.Special Features:
- Gem @ Tavern at CloverFingerLakesWineGuyDined on 7/9/2014Tavern 58 on University Ave is one of my favorite restaurants and we were eager to try their new restaurant Tavern at Clover. We were greeted with the same friendly welcome and exceptional service that we are accustomed to at the University location. The menus are similar in style but are different enough to provide a unique experience. The food was was exceptional with everything prepared and presented wonderfully. I mentioned that we were celebrating our birthdays and were treated to complimentary campaign and desert. These were fine touches on an excellent evening.Special Features:
- DisappointmentJulesDined on 7/5/2014After checking out the website the restruant looked great I was excited to eat here. We had reservations and showed up right on time. They had reserved us an outdoor table as asked but when we got to the table it hadn't been cleared. The hostess left us standing by the table. After waiting we just sat down. I had the Cobb salad. It wasn't what I was used too the dressing was great but the chicken was extremely dry I could not cut it. The avocado wasn't ripe so grilling it just made it harder. I wouldnt reccomend this restruant.
- Never Again!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/5/2014It was the worst dining experience I can remember. Medium Rare means Well Done, the portions (including the drink) were pathetic and the service was awful. Butter, the size of a small button, placed right next to a steaming hot roll was a mess and that was the best part of the meal.
- Excellent dinner spotHealthyDinerDined on 7/5/2014The sun room is especially nice for quieter dining, and there is also an adjacent outdoor patio with two tables next to an herb garden. We've been there several times, and everything we ordered has been excellent. The service was prompt, cheerful, and courteous, and they do a good job customizing vegan entrees. Dishes were beautifully plated and tasty. The only very minor quibble was some inconsistency with the mini-rolls served with dinner; they were usually freshly-prepared and moist, but on one occasion they were stale, and on another a couple were soggy on the bottom. Overall though, it's an excellent dining experience and we'll keep going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/3/2014We opted to eat at the bar and the service was great. Food is inventive and enough variety to satisfy anyone. Great chef, great service.Special Features:
- Falls flatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/27/2014I think the restaurant is trying to hard. Too many ingredients and not enough quality and freshness leaves the food kind of flat without much taste. My green salad on the pre fix was extremely small and was mixed in with old wilted lettuces. The pork chop was cooked exactly how I ordered it and had a very impressive description but was blah. Crab stuffed shrimp sounded very interesting and was also blah. And who fries watermelon- what is the point in that? The service was excellent; friendly and attentive.
- Love the variety!gourmetgirlDined on 6/26/2014So glad to see another restaurant came along in this spot. We love the ambience and the menu was full of variety. Our entrees were very tasty and nicely presented. Great for a celebration or just a night out. Love how close it is to us, we'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Third visit not a charmLuvfoodDined on 6/14/2014We had dined at the Tavern at Clover two times before and had a much different experience. This past weekend did not live up to our expectations. The side salad was tiny, to say the least. Literally 4 lettuce leaves. Two of the dinners were just ok. My chicken panini was not what what was expected. The roll (not bread) and chicken was dry. One of the four of us ordered soup which was warm, not hot. I too have had the soup at the Tavern at Clover and found it to be tasty but barely warm. Two of the four ordered dessert, tiny and disappointing.
- Tavern's 2nd location is a missHeatherDined on 6/14/2014My husband and I have gone to Tavern 58 numerous times and have had a great experience from the food to the service and atmosphere. Our experience at Tavern at Clover was nothing like our experience with Tavern 58. The menu is the same, but that's about it. The quality of the food isn't as good as at Tavern 58 and their service was less than welcoming. My recommendation is to skip Tavern at Clover and head right to the original on Gibbs!
- The menu tries too hardFoodEnthusiastDined on 6/14/2014The simpler items on the menu (the burger, Reuben sandwich, polenta fries) are excellent but the more complicated items fall flat. The taste pairings often don't work and the seasonings are a bit bland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.