Tavern at Bown Crossing
3111 S. Bown Way
Boise, ID 83706Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Tavern at Bown Crossing
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.tavernatbown.com/
- Phone: (208) 345-2277
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm. Sunday Brunch: 9:30am-3:00pm Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 3:00pm - 9:00pm. Sunday Brunch: 9:30am - 3:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Steak, American
- Executive Chef: Cody Cornwall
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: The Tavern can cater business events, receptions, private parties, birthdays,etc. Menus are customized for each event. Bar service available with an off-site permit.
- Private Party Facilities: Our private dining room is available for sit down dinners, business meetings, and family dinners. There is not a room fee if a minimum is spent in food and beverage. The room is located upstairs with upstairs access to a restroom. There is an elevator for handicap accessibility as well. There is a full bar, audio visual equipment, and microphones. Call to inquire about limited menus, minimums and policies.
- Entertainment: Live music on the upstairs patio once a week during the summer, weather permitting.
A word from Tavern at Bown Crossing
The Tavern at Bown Crossing is a unique dining experience offering sushi, USDA prime grade steaks, daily seafood specials, burgers, sandwiches and salads. There is a full bar with an extensive wine list, great classic cocktails, sake and draught beers. Happy Hour is available Mon.-Sat. Brunch is served on Sundays from an ala carte menu from 9:30-3 p.m. Our tables range from higher tables in the bar area with a more energetic atmosphere, or booths or a quieter area with lower tables.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Tavern at Bown Crossing - Best Restaurants in Boise ›
Tavern at Bown Crossing reviews from OpenTable diners
22 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (19)great for outdoor dining (6)special occasion (5)great for lunch (5)notable wine list (4)great for brunch (3)hot spot (3)vibrant bar scene (3)fit for foodies (3)romantic (3)late-night find (3)good for groups (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- Our neighborhood hangoutOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/6/2014Never had a bad meal, wait servers are all wonderful, friendly, pleasant. Priced very reasonable and portion sizes seem very good.Special Features:
- Dark and coldFishingVegasDined on 11/1/2014We're regulars at the Tavern, but this visit was not the best. We walked in and could hardly see where we were going because the lights were so dim. We needed to use the flashlights on our cell phone to read the menu. The AC was blowing and the ceiling fan was running even though it was 45 degrees and raining outside. I wore my coat the entire time. I never really saw my food since it was so dark, so I can't tell if it looked good although it did taste good. the service was a little slow although adequate - but not stellar. This visit won't keep us from going back again, but it certainly did not live up the quality of our past experiences at the restaurant.Special Features:
- Home in the "Hood"Out2eatDined on 10/31/2014It is so great to have a place near home with a comfortable ambience, good food and pleasant service!Special Features:
- Wait staffOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/3/2014When I have guests in town, or when I want a really good meal at a quality restaurant, I choose the Tavern. The wait staff is excellent and the front end manager is wonderful. She really watched over us and assisted when needed. They were busy, but we were never forgotten. Excellent martinis too. I had the salmon burger, which was flavorful. I was disappointed that I couldn't have the baked yam; they were out of that particular side. My companion had a wedge salad with shrimp and commented that she thought it was first rate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/25/2014Food and atmosphere are great! The staff is always amazing. Loyal 2 Local!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 106 reviews are from the Tavern at Bown Crossing reviews archive.
- Bubble poppedDinerDined on 7/21/2014This is typically one of my favorite go-to places for special meals, however, we did not have a good experience during this last visit. We had made a reservation well in advance but were still seated in the Sushi Bar, which does not have great ambiance overall. The service was slow requests were forgotten. It was as if we were too far out of the way for them to remember us. During dinner, one of the sushi chefs started yelling at a co-worker and they bickered for 20 minutes. At no time during the evening did any of the staff even come over and apologize to us for the unfortunate event. I'll probably still go to the Tavern every now and then because I love their Sushi but they are not as high on my list anymore.Special Features:
- EnjoyablerandgDined on 7/19/2014We had dinner outside with our friends for their anniversary. Nice service and dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gathering spaceOut2eatDined on 7/16/2014I came with a friend I haven't seen in a while...this one of her favorite spots. Our server pleasant, not obtrusive, so we were able to converse in peace! Reason for less than top rating..my Greek salad, the special, was on the bitter side though the grilled chicken perfect. Our portions also too large, esp. For lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poo42VIPDined on 7/11/2014A great local restaurant with consistent good food and service.Special Features:
- Something for everyoneOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/11/2014Great food selection. They really add a unique flavor and taste to their offerings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reservations should matterOut2eatDined on 7/6/2014Usually a reservation assures a good table and a pleasant outcome, it took some scrambling this time with mixed result. I expect next time will be better, it may take a personal callSpecial Features:
- good but not greatDBRBDined on 7/5/2014We've been here at least a dozen times before, always good, but never a standout. Service starts out good and then our server disappears. Pretty much the same on every visit. It's expensive to eat here, but none of us ever say "that was a fantastic meal". We all say either that it was good or pretty good or just ok. Great neighborhood location, patios are nice, but not when it's 100 degrees outside. All in all, we had a nice time.Special Features:
- Casual qualityBirthdaypartyof2Dined on 6/28/2014Great food in a casual atmosphere. Terrific service. This was our first time at the Tavern, but we'll be back.Special Features:
- love itboisedinerVIPDined on 6/28/2014Always great food. We love walking to this neighborhood gem. The wine list is great, the service is always top notch, and the food is yummy! So glad it is near by.Special Features:
- Very pleasant surpriseaglioDined on 6/21/2014Had no idea what to expect, but we took it on our friends' recommendation to try Bown's crossing. We were seated (4 of us) in the room with the sushi bar, with very few other diners. Nice and quiet, easy to have a conversation. Friendly, personable waitress (is that a word anymore?) who was attentive and not pushy. Nice bottle of wine, reasonable price (Acrobat pinot gris). Calamari appetizer was superb. Friends ordered sushi, we had pico de gallo burger and caesar with salmon. All were good but not as well prepared as the calamari. We will go back there, even though it's not close at all to where we live.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy4g8kidsDined on 6/18/2014This was a great find! Love Bown Crossing area & Tavern was so delish!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's OKSuzziepieDined on 5/23/2014With so many great places to eat in Boise right now Tavern needs to step it up. At one time the snottiness at the front desk might have been merited but not anymore. The waiter this time was fun and attentive and provided awesome service. The scalloped potatoes are about the best food on the planet but the rest is pretty average. It's a nice place to sit outside and have a drink.Special Features:
- Canned & Store BoughtNettwerk66Dined on 5/23/2014The food didn't come close to what we anticipated and was way overpriced for the food quality. I ordered the filet and opted for the saute`d mushrooms and was very disappointed that the mushrooms were canned mushrooms, I paid $25 plus dollars for a filet topped with canned mushrooms! The other disappointment was my daughter's burger patty, definitely not fresh, was a frozen store bought patty and wasn't appetizing at all. My daughter's not a picky eater and after I tasted her burger for myself, I could see why she didn't care to finish it. We chose The Tavern at Bowen because we were looking for a new place to try for my husband's birthday, spent over a $100 on dinner and I must say that we definitely won't be coming back for the food.Special Features:
- Overcooked SteakDisappointedVIPDined on 5/11/2014Ordered a top sirloin blood rare and specified still cold on the inside. It came medium at best. Good piece of meat, way overcooked. It was Mother's Day and could not wait for a second try. Ate part of it. Server agreed it was not as ordered and did not charge for the meal. Have had this problem there before and therefore typically do not order their beef even though it is very good quality. Hopefully will not make the same mistake again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sorry we cameOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014The only smile we got was from the barmaid as we passed by. The food was apparently prepared in advance and warmed up under a broiler to melt the cheese. Although the promised ingredients were there, ithe dish had been left under the broiler too long and the cheese was burned on the plate. My wife ordered the endless samosa (or whatever you call it). That was the last we saw of the waiter. I finally took her glass to the bar where they filled it. The waiter pushed the bill on to the table and said "Here". No one asked us if everything had been satisfactory or if we had enjoyed the meal. This was to have been a happy Mother's day lunch. It was not!!
- High quality with lots of traffic983danielDined on 5/9/2014Food, bar, and wine list were all excellent. Ambience was pretty neat in this place, and it seems like a great date spot. Bown Crossing in general is a heavily-patroned area however, and the restaurant seemed loud and crowded overall. Still, excellent service from our server and a well-executed menu.Special Features:
- Off staff night?MFB45thDined on 5/2/2014The staff seemed to be a bit confused and cranky with each other. Our reservation was confused with another, they had to move people to accommodate us. They were pleasant with us and the other customers, but friction was evident. Food was great.Special Features:
- Great Food!NotAgainVIPDined on 4/26/2014Really enjoyed the Double R Ranch NY Strip! The Cheese Plate appetizer was very good and their fish of the day was excellent...!Special Features:
- The Tavern is a great place for lunwestslopecuttDined on 4/1/2014Ten of my coworkers and I met for lunch recently at the Tavern at Bown Crossing. I have had lunch there several times in the past and have always enjoyed the experience because the food and service have consistently been excellent. Handling a group of ten or more is a test for any restaurant is always challenging. The Tavern staff handled it well and I have heard zero complaints from anyone that attended. Nicely done!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The restaurant was extremelydatenightdiningDined on 3/29/2014The restaurant was extremely clean and well decorated. The service was awesome, and the staff was very energetic and friendly! The food was delicious and the portions were quite large, definitely had leftovers for the next day!Special Features:
- Great Double R Ranch StripNotAgainVIPDined on 3/26/2014Great Double R Ranch Strip Steak - best I've had in a long long time - excellently prepared - very nice!Special Features:
- Date NightOccasionalnightoutDined on 2/25/2014Great Date Night restaurant with a good selection, he got his Sushi and I got my shrimp. We both enjoyed the food, lighting was nice, service was attentive without being intrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tavern never disappointsDaveDined on 2/18/2014The tavern food and service is always great. The quality of the service and food never leaves the diner wondering about anything. If there is ever an issue, they correct it immediately. One of my favorite places.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experience x2BirdmanDined on 2/14/2014This was my second visit and both were good. Valentines special of prime rib and lobster tail was delicious. Service was great, even on a busy evening. We went early which was of benefit I think. I will definitely be going back. Good has been delicious on both visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Early Valentines Day DinnerRippinDined on 2/11/2014Headed out of town on Valentines Day so we had an early dinner together. Fantastic service, good drink selection and both specials were great. Will certainly be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We waited 15 minutes pastMtnlamDined on 1/27/2014We waited 15 minutes past reserve red time to be seated. Bar was very good. Was seated at table next to doors that leaked very cold air 25degs from outside. Was given a appetizer plate that was dirty. Food was very good. Don't think I will be back again, food not good enough to overlook other problems.Special Features:
- The ribeye had no flavor,DineDined on 1/18/2014The ribeye had no flavor, I had to dr the mashed potatoes with salt pepper and butter. We had to ask our wait or for the bread that came with our meal, he stated that they don't just bring it out anymore because they throw so much away. I guess I would of liked the choice to choose instead of for it.Special Features:
- Great food on Boise's east sideshboiseDined on 1/12/2014My wife and I come to this restaurant a few times a year and are always pleased with the food and service. I normally have a steak and she will have fish or salad. I think the food is great and fairly priced. I look forward to my next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like always great food greatTunaDined on 1/10/2014Like always great food great service and please t atmosphereSpecial Features:
- Service was excellent. FoodShaneDined on 12/29/2013Service was excellent. Food was very good. Something for everyone, from sushi to steak to burgers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food service was slow, howeverMPSandFamDined on 12/24/2013Food service was slow, however one could see that the dining area had filled all at once. When served the food was hot and tasty.Special Features:
- december dinnerBoisedinerDined on 12/6/2013Was our first time at this restaurant. We liked the service and atmosphere. Ordered appetizer, Bruschetta was excellent. Had a Tavern margarita that left a little to be desired in taste and size for the money. Ive had comparable margs for bout 8 dollars. My date had the 6 oz steak filet and i had the chicken with shrimp entree. The white wine sauce was good on the chicken but once you got passed that, the chicken was bland and in need of some kind of additional seasoning to compliment the sauce. The shrimp was pretty good. The steak filet was not cooked to order and also in need of a signature taste for this establishment. We will give it some time and try again.
- customerThaiboyDined on 12/2/2013Recommend more dining space or bigger tables for meals, not very much room on the smaller 2 person tables. Established walkways so traffic isn't always moving in between your tables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food with friendsDowntownDined on 11/9/2013Had a fantastic evening with friends. Matt was an excellent server. We had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet follow up to HalloweenOut2eatDined on 10/31/2013After treating the little ones in the neighborhood items a friend at the Tavern we enjoyed the quiet and the Sushi was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.