47 E. 29th Street
New York, NY 10016Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://tavern29.com/
- Phone: (212) 685-4422
- Hours of Operation:
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Gastro Pub
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Great menu selections, that fit every budget, to choose from. Corporate catering, private parties-on and off premise available. We will help you create a memorable, trouble free experience.
- Entertainment: DJs play on Thursday, Friday and Saturday evenings.
- Special Events: Amazing Events Packages
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Clare is our incredible events planner who will make your party memorable. Small seated dinners, passed appetizers, artisan buffets, to renting out a floor-all of it is possible. We cater to every budget.
A word from Tavern 29
Three levels of ambitious cocktails, hefty burgerage and a spontaneously German rooftop. - urbandaddy.comContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Tavern 29 reviews from OpenTable diners
36 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (15)great for brunch (13)good for groups (11)vibrant bar scene (10)neighborhood gem (8)great for lunch (8)hot spot (5)fit for foodies (4)special occasion (2)late-night find (2)scenic view (1)notable wine list (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- The breakfast pizza is delicious, service spottyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/15/2014The breakfast pizza stole the show, the mimosas were very strong and delicious. Service left a little to be desired but once the college football crowd picked up they seemed to get their stuff together in terms of service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday FundaybingomezDined on 11/9/2014We sat upstairs on the roofdeck on a cold day - they had heaters which helped. Big TV's for the Sunday Games. The service was excellent! i would go back but sit inside - good to try once on a cold day. Love the bottomless Mimossa's!Special Features:
- BrunchKennethDined on 10/25/2014The wait staff was OK for brunch. They did not fill our drinks up as often as I would like but they let us stay for a while longer and they were very friendly.Special Features:
- Great for BrunchdkdccDined on 10/25/2014The unlimited brunch was great! The food was exactly what we all wanted. Everyone at Tavern was great and friendly except our server. We had to constantly ask to get refills for our drinks even though there is a 2 hour limit and at times we had to ask other servers for help because she was too busy talking behind the bar at the rooftop with other servers to pay attention to her tables. But I would still go back to Tavern because of everything else was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is a bar with tablesDebD37VIPDined on 10/12/2014This is exactly what the name says a Tavern..we went for Sunday Brunch..we had a private booth (thank God) as the football game was on and there was lots of cheering and screaming..which was better that the horrible loud music they played when the game wasn't on....the menu was limited...but the omlette that I had was very good....the fries were very salty and they had no bread at all and no dessert....I would not return to eat...but if your looking for a sports bar..this is it!Special Features:
- Good service, decent foodWillCVIPDined on 10/10/2014Went here for lunch, and the service was top notch. Greeted by a waiter quickly and seated while being promised that the reservation would be acknowledged. Throughout, the waitress was quite attentive and gracious. The food was fine, but nothing to write home about. The turkey burger was thick and juicy but surprisingly void of taste. The french fries were very good. My companion had a salad that she liked but again thought it was a solid salad, but she said that she was hoping for "something more." A solid lunch place, but not a special one. One more thing: the air conditioning on a cool day was on pretty high; we were freezing.
- fifieatsFiFiEatsDined on 10/7/201420-30s crowd. 3 levels- 1st bar, 2nd relaxed dining room, 3rd rooftop bar. Great to meet a friend for a drink of quick meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunch spotTantanbourineVIPDined on 9/25/2014Not normally in this part of town, but was surprised with how great this place was for a very tasty, quick lunch. Great service as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Rooftop!tpsoinosVIPDined on 8/31/2014First time at this restaurant but not last. Great natural food, including grass fed beef in a variety of cuisines is sure to please everyone young and old alike. The retractable awning is a plus, letting you enjoy an outdoor meal without the worry of unstable weather. We'll be sure to visit again.Special Features:
- Tasty lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/21/2014Was looking a for a quick spot in the NYU med area, and found this spot for a tasty lunch. Grey roof top bar and tables to enjoy a nice summer day lunch. Food was good, not too pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden Rooftop with good food!scottyVIPDined on 8/16/2014Down a nondescript street nestled amid tall buildings is this pub with a great rooftop dining area… Perfect for a summer Brunch. Communal style tables.. Fantastic Bloody Mary mix… Delicious oversized turkey burger and great salad dressings were the highlights of this visit… Our waitress was friendly and accommodating until it became more crowded and she kind of disappeared… had to flag someone else down to pay our bill. Overall I would go back again as the food was very tasty for a pub.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/3/2014Food was decent, mimosas & bloody mary's were flowing. A few set-backs, however. I made the reservation through open table for 10 people & requested if possible if we could sit in their outdoor space. The seating is Beer Garden style (benches & tables) & was so tight for the 10 of us. We ended up being a party of 11 but even before the 11th person showed up we were CRAMPED! Fortunately the table next to us left & we just pushed the two together (much more comfortable)....would've been nice if they did this to start! :) The service was really, REALLY slow. We ended up asking for our drinks in carafes so we wouldn't be held up. They also charged a $3 pp plating fee for the birthday cake, no mention of this when I dropped it off.Special Features:
- The following 54 reviews are from the Tavern 29 reviews archive.
- DOITVIPDined on 7/27/2014if you are not on a diet and not watching calories, salt or fat this may be the place for you. Little if any local choices and best way to categorize is as a greasy -noisy spoon
- Mediocre Bar food with poor serviceNSAdocNYCVIPDined on 7/27/2014We went for brunch and sat on the rooftop which was quite lovely. Our server had such a bad attitude, was in attentive and couldn't even remember the simplest of requests (water without ice) and even spilled food on one of my friends--without apology or bringing even a napkin to clean it up! I will never return.
- Great dinner for 82dark2eatDined on 7/12/2014The food was great and the service was very attentive and fast. The only problem was that the music was way too loud and it was too dark.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunny rooftop or cozy bar, love!GopherGirlVIPDined on 6/15/2014This place has such a cool vibe, from the people who work there (who really seem to love what they do) to the delicious takes on 'bar food'. The beer list was pretty impressive, nice selection of domestic and EU. The food was really delicious, you could sit here for hours doing small plates. Even better was the fantastic service. Cool music selection for the background of our evening.Special Features:
- LaurenVIPDined on 6/7/2014They need to improve their service, but otherwise a fun place!Special Features:
- A disappointing lunch experienceNotjustaboutthefoodVIPDined on 6/6/2014I specifically chose this restaurant for it's outdoor dining. Called a couple of days ahead, after booking a 12 o'clock reservation online to request seating outside. I was told it was first come, first serve but, being that I was coming at 12 there would be no wait for an outdoor table. I wasn't told that seating outside didn't start until 1PM. Service was very slow, staff young and inexperienced. We sat for half hour without anyone coming over take our order, although it wasn't busy. The manager came over to speak with us. She never apologized for one of her team passing along misinformation, didn't offer to buy us a drink or dessert or anything to make up for the inconvenience. Too late to go elsewhere or we would have. Salads very gdI would recommend this to a friend.
- Offensive music played too loudly!DougVIPDined on 5/24/2014The burger was OK, but the music choice was terrible unless you're into offensive-language rap that demeans women and it was played way too loud, especially for an early evening in a small bar setting with only a few people in it.
- jlexVIPDined on 5/24/2014The servers were very nice, but the food leaves a lot to be desired.
- brunch was decentfederalist25VIPDined on 5/4/2014we had a friendly waitress and our choice of seats at brunch. the food was served hot and was good.
- Great lunchCathyDined on 4/25/2014Went for a quick lunch and was not disappointed. Had a wonderful french dip panini with pepper jack cheese and salad., delist. Husband had the supreme burger. It was a little sloppy but filled with flavor, also had Parmesan fries. Don't miss these. Great beer selection.Special Features:
- Nice grilled cheese sandwichFoodieVIPDined on 4/24/2014Could do with a little more pork in it, but very nice nonetheless. One of the nicest burger places in the area.
- Awful foodBudinesstravellerVIPDined on 4/14/2014Awful turkey burger and fish tacos wet prolly frozen fish
- a bit too casualCasinoVIPDined on 4/13/2014Fun place for a casual brunch or lunch or evening drink -- the rooftop beer hall scene is OK and I did not try to dine in or was not even asked about the downstairs. Be wary of the stair climb unless you are fit! Had to follow up with Open Table when Tavern 29 claimed me a no-show -- error fixed but the place needs to be better in its awareness category if it wants Open Table guests. Food and drinks are just OK.Special Features:
- Hidden GemLiamVIPDined on 3/8/2014Really liked this place. Went for brunch with some friends and sat on the roof. The staff was very friendly and attentative. I had the red pepper omelette, which was to die for. The truffle fries were made to perfection. Definetely returning.Special Features:
- Great atmosphere and friendlyAngieVIPDined on 3/7/2014Great atmosphere and friendly service. The food was more upscale than I would expect from a Pub/Tavern and a nice selection. Try the develed eggs (better than mom's) Looking forward to lunching in their outdoor dining spaceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchMhoustonVIPDined on 3/1/2014Sat in a small private booth for Saturday brunch. The brunch menu is small but there are a few great dishes. The drink menu, on the other hand, is three pages long. Good place for a quiet (and dark) lunch.Special Features:
- Great burgers and friesFoodieVIPDined on 2/19/2014All that we tried were good (beef, turkey, pulled pork) except the lobster roll.I would recommend this to a friend.
- we arrived on time and everyoneOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 11/24/2013we arrived on time and everyone at the restaurant was very nice.(despite not knowing about our reservation on Open Table) We did not stay because this was not what we had in mind for a nice sunday brunch. There were no chairs- only stools and high tables- probably a fun bar at night, but not what we were looking for on a sunday morning.Special Features:
- A good find, worth returningFoodie79Dined on 11/2/2013We happened upon Tavern 29 in the winter of 2012 for drinks, and promised to go back. It was well worth the return. Weather and crowd permitting, try to snag a table at the semi-outdoor third floor terrace. Order the Cuban sandwich (you'll work off some of the calories hoofing it down the stairs). The service was friendly and attentive. This place has great food for sharing, a cool vibe, and is a welcome chill environment.Special Features:
- Nice presentation - Good FoodfiyahdVIPDined on 10/29/2013Went for weekday lunch...place was empty. However food was very good and the service was friendly. Will return.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classy PubAngieVIPDined on 10/29/2013Just moved to the area and stumbled on to this great lunch spot A great Pub vibe with upscale menu. They even have a rooftop area. Can't wait till summer!Special Features:
- Cute Neighborhood BarsussVIPDined on 10/28/2013I took a client here last week and was concerned that we were the only ones in there at noon. But the food was actually delicious. My two colleagues got salads and enjoyed them very much. I got a turkey burger and it was very good as well. The bread pudding type dessert was only mediocre. I was thrilled to hear that our client who works nearby but had never heard of Tavern 29 plans to come back and take his employees for lunch. Perfect place to hideaway for a nice reasonable lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pub atmosphereGiacsVIPDined on 10/12/2013Terrific neighbourhood gem, enjoyed on of the best burgers i have ever had. The beer selection is outstanding - enjoyed a taste of several brews. Central location with very attentive staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool spot, luke warm serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/11/2013The hostess was very friendly, but our server seemed to lack personality and attentiveness...no sugar on the table with our coffee...we had to get up and ask for it. Service was generally fine, but far from stellar. The food was quite good, and it was a nice relaxed setting sitting on the rooftop.Special Features:
- My Go-to PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/7/2013Love the American Fusion Menu. Service is always great. Last time Roland served us with attention and panache. Looking forward to the next visità visit! That Mac & Cheese should win a prize somewhere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Outdoor SpaceAdSmithVIPDined on 8/4/2013The food was OK, the drinks were better the service was OK but the outdoor space, weather permitting is transporting and fun.Special Features:
- nice rooftop brunchManhattanetteVIPDined on 8/4/2013We were at Tavern 29 pretty early on a Saturday so had much of the rooftop to ourselves. We received excellent service and the food was very good. We didn't partake in the $15 unlimited cocktails, but I'd like to go back and try it sometime.Special Features:
- Blah deviled eggs.PointhoarderVIPDined on 7/26/2013This was close to the hotel so we took a chance and went in. The beers were pricey at $10 each. Don't know if that was the norm for the neighborhood. Tried the duck quesadilla which came recommended by a couple of the staff. It was pretty good. The deviled eggs were on the bland side and didn't seem freshly made.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.