220 South 17th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.tavern17restaurant.com/
- Phone: (215) 790-1799
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast Monday - Friday: 6:30am - 10:00am Dining Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Friday: 5:00pm - 12:00am; Brunch Saturday - Sunday - Holidays: 7:00am - 3:00pm; Dining Saturday: 3:00pm - 12:00am; Sunday - Holidays: 3:00pm - 11:00pm. Outside seating hours may differ. Reservations are not accepted for outside seating.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Benjamin Young
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Tavern 17 will cater to your office for breakfast or all day dining up until 8pm for up to 50 people at a time. Please inquire at 215-790-7755 for details, pricing and menu selections.
- Private Party Facilities: Tavern 17 provides a fresh alternative venue for that special event or celebration you are planning. It is the perfect atmosphere for graduations, rehearsal dinners, engagement parties, birthday and anniversary dinners and networking events. Tavern 17 is avialable for Private Luncheons.
- Private Party Contact: Patty Burch 0000000000
A word from Tavern 17
There is nothing which has yet been contrived by man, by which so much happiness is produced as by a good tavern." -Samuel Johnson Throughout time, taverns have been synonymous with Philadelphia. They were the social hub of the neighborhood; a place for men and women from all walks of life to meet, eat, drink, toast, sing & argue. The concept is timeless, the story inspiring, the room inviting, the people irresistible.... Welcome to Tavern 17. This stunning restaurant and bar in the Rittenhouse Square district of the city offers an innovative menu. From 5pm - 7pm Monday through Friday and 9pm - 11pm Sunday is Happy "17:00" Hour featuring $2 off ALL Draft Beers, $5 House Wine and Appetizers for every kind of taste bud. There is a wine centric beverage menu featuring over 45 glasses of white or red wines. Two private dining rooms, outside dining and a great brew menu complement the restaurant well. No reservations for outside seating accept.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Tavern 17 reviews from OpenTable diners
16 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (6)neighborhood gem (4)fit for foodies (3)special occasion (3)late-night find (3)romantic (3)notable wine list (2)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)hot spot (1)scenic view (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Chose it since it was in ourOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/19/2012Chose it since it was in our hotel but the service was bad, the food so so and pricey.
- We enjoyed our meal and theOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/13/2012We enjoyed our meal and the atmosphere. Service was friendly and efficient.
- Salad was tasty and fresh.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/13/2012Salad was tasty and fresh. Steak bit gristly. Dined here a 2nd time but sat at bar. They were out of both desserts that I wanted. Service slow to get check . Overall is was just okSpecial Features:
- Foos was good, quirky (yetOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/11/2012Foos was good, quirky (yet safe) appetizers and a decent dinner selection. Nice mod ambience juxtaposing the grand lobby of the Radisson. Service was mediocre. Street parking was (and always is in the Rittenhouse area) challenging, but I believe the hotel does valet. Music was a bit loud for such a subdued room. It IS a hotel lounge after all.Special Features:
- The food was very good theOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/10/2012The food was very good the presentation of the food was lovely service was great the only problem was the noise but would still highly recommend itSpecial Features:
- It was restaurant week, soAngeDined on 10/4/2012It was restaurant week, so I guess I shouldn't have expected much. The food & service were just ok. Would not returnSpecial Features:
- The menu is very limited andOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/29/2012The menu is very limited and expensive. The service was okay. There was a live band, which was quite good, but it was a very loud dining experience. Wine list was limited. More a beer place.
- Food and service was good.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/22/2012Food and service was good. Nice variety of snacks for Bar patrons - maybe little better on dinner platters.Special Features:
- Excellent draft beer selectionOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/15/2012Excellent draft beer selection and great vegetarian selections. Great appetizers, too. Service was a bit wanting, however, as we had to wait a decent amount of time for the waitress to ask if we wanted more drinks.Special Features:
- My first impression was notsteakchampsDined on 9/11/2012My first impression was not good at all. The place is very nice, but I met my BFF there. She sat at the bar for 15 minutes and the ederly bartender never asked her if she wanted a drink. I found that odd. However, our waiter and the food was great. So its a nice place to visit. I will not be back however because first impressions are always the ones that last.Special Features:
- Very nice place for a SaturdayBob13wVIPDined on 9/8/2012Very nice place for a Saturday bruch. The food, service and choices were very good!
- I purchased a Travelzoo voucherwc2022Dined on 9/5/2012I purchased a Travelzoo voucher for dinner for two. It had been awhile since we had eaten here. The food was outstanding. Started with bruschetta and fish and chips for an appetizer. Entrees were the BBQ salmon and steak. For dessert we chose the cheesecake and warm fudge brownie with ice cream. The menu is not very extensive; however, it did prove to be delicious.Special Features:
- Good Place and Fine Wait StaffOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/31/2012A good place for early evening We celebrated our 51st wedding anniversary. Kerry, our waitress, was exceptional. The food was good. The steak done to taste. The strawberry short cake held promise but the angel food cake was a bit tough. I managed to correl the cake on my plate and cut it with my knife. I was up for taming the cake.Special Features:
- Has a good beer selection.goodstuffVIPDined on 8/25/2012Has a good beer selection. Poor wine list. Food was fair at best. Recommended for drinks, many better places for food in the same area.
- Great food and magnificentOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/10/2012Great food and magnificent service. I wish I had gotten our server's nam. She had the perfect balance of anticipating our needs and giving us time to enjoy our party. Bravo
- Worth it for dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/4/2012Food is always good, especially the black bean burger, and the mushroom mac and cheese. The service tho, atleast when sitting outside, it constantly slow, as if we are forgotten at times. The food tho, makes me go backSpecial Features:
- Hoping for a return to greatnessStefanieMcDined on 7/28/2012I'm usually a huge fan of Tavern 17. I've always liked the food and service here. Last night however, was a bit disappointing. The menu selection has changed since my last visit now it's a long wine list and a substantially smaller list of entrees (mostly sandwiches). The appetizers, were a huge disappointment to start the meal off. One member of my party ordered fish tacos, when the order came it looked more like two burritos. The taste was great: the presentation incredibly lackluster. I ordered edamame, when the order arrived there was water in the bottom of the bowl and the pods had been completely overcooked. I would've informed someone about it, but our waited appeared so infrequently, that there seemed to be no point.Special Features:
- Felt very comfortable withOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/28/2012Felt very comfortable with surroundings. nice menu and good wine list. our waiter was very helpful and personable. will definetly return and reccomend to our friendsSpecial Features:
- Very Very wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/25/2012It's a good restaurant, from the bartender and hostess all the way up to the servers and management. The food is just good.Special Features:
- My husband and I had an earlyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/20/2012My husband and I had an early dinner since we had completed our business in the city.We really enjoyed it and plan to go again soon.Special Features:
- This restaurant is not goodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/21/2012This restaurant is not good for groups. Music was too loud. One server for 18 people. Would not recommend.
- I should have known better,OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/20/2012I should have known better, I live in Philadelphia. But my friend from the burbs liked the location in reference to where we were going after we dined. The food was uninspired. The service was scarce. I spilled my Bloody Mary and had to find someone for help. The clean up even went wrong...they were wiping up the floor before they cleaned off the seat and table. There are so many spots in Philly with great brunch/lunch. This is not one of them.
- Overall I was pleased withOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/13/2012Overall I was pleased with the service and the food. I was displeased with the server's inability to charge my credit card corrctly. The server could not determine how to add the tip in with the price of the meal so the tip was paid separately; however, my credit card was charged for the tip as well. I had to make a call to have this issue resolved. I should not have had to deal with this inconvenience.Special Features:
- Service was friendly, butOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/13/2012Service was friendly, but it took to long for the wait staff to clean the table even though we had a reservation. Tavern 17 is pet frienfly, but the outside seating is small and tables were not stable as there was a crack in the sidewalk. On the other hand, the food was reall good.Special Features:
- Awful! From beginning to end.MarriedAChefVIPDined on 5/12/2012Awful! From beginning to end. The hostess was rude. It took 20 minutes to get our drinks. And they were not even correct when they got to our table. We then waited an hour, yes 60 minutes for food. We asked to speak to the manager and that took another 15 minutes. We ended up leaving because of how rude everyone was, and due to sitting there for an hour without food, and without any notice from the manager.
- good food. Never busy--beenOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/8/2012good food. Never busy--been there before. Atmosphere disappointing. No maitre d'.
- Nothing special for brunch.TS52VIPDined on 4/21/2012Nothing special for brunch. We were the only people in the restaurant and the waitress was very inattentive. Food wasn't anything spectacular or out of the ordinary.
- I made a reservation for lastOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/10/2012I made a reservation for last Saturday night for a group of 6. 4 Adults one 4 year old and on 18 month old. When we arrived I had a feeling things were not going to go smoothly. The first impression of a restaurant is often delivered by the host/hostess. When we walked in, we were greeted with a mumble and a frown from the hostess. It was as if she wasn’t in the mood to open her mouth. After being seated we were assaulted with the constant banging and slamming of the door that separated the hotel lobby and the restaurant. The noise ruined the ambience and was a constant interference in our dinner discussions. $10 at the hardware store would have solved this problem but instead those in charge of this operation allow a $10 problem
- Nice, relaxed, basic brunchapiebabyDined on 3/4/2012Went for brunch on a Sunday -- not terribly lively, but the service was good, there was a nice selection of brunch offerings, and everyone was completely satisfied with their meal. Nothing fancy or gourmet, but perfectly enjoyable. Probably a good choice for groups and families.Special Features:
- We were attending a recitalOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/27/2012We were attending a recital later that evening at the Curtis Institute (around the corner): the restaurant's proximity and accommodating staff made dinner convenient and enjoyable. Appreciated the discounted wine and beer offerings; found the fish tacos rather skimpy and the beet/goat cheese/arugula salad a nice idea that was "all right" but unremarkable. I would recommend it to friends attending events at Curtis or the Rittenhouse area.
- Valetines day maenu was writtenOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2012Valetines day maenu was written with poor explanations and the 2nd course cam out after the 3rd. They included 20% gradutity on the check for my wife and I which I found insulting.
- Food was mediocre at best.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2012Food was mediocre at best. The temporary charge on our credit card was 20% more than our check ( which included 20% gratuity on our party of 2!). We were shocked when we saw the charge, called the restaurant, and were informed by someone that works for three hotel that the company who processes their payments automatically adds on 20% as a temporary authorization. You could tell he got asked this frequently. Why would a restaurant continue to do business this way, fully aware of the issues customers have had with it? Most simply, they could avoid this by not including gratuity on the check for small parties! Not going back!
- Great Food - Cold RestaurantBobSallyDined on 2/11/2012The Special Valentine's Day dinner was excellent and the Jazz Group was outstanding! The one negative was the fact that the restaurant was extremely cold. They kept a door open that led to the hotel lobby and with the people coming and going to and from the hotel a constant blast of cold air was going through the restaurant. We asked if the door could be closed and management said "absolutely not".
- Decent food, but nothing special.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/3/2012Decent food, but nothing special. Fast meal. Each course was served prior to us finishing the previous one. Which was a little annoying. Has the "hotel bar" feel.
- The server was pretty good-andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/3/2012The server was pretty good-and I'm tough on servers. I expected more of an after-work crowd, but there was actually more of a hotel crowd-so not as much energy as I would expect on a Friday. Also, no special drink menu. My group seemed disappointed that there were no new drinks to try out.Special Features:
- Just ok.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/27/2012There wasn't a hostess when we walked in but after waiting for 10 minutes we were seated in the not overly crowded restaurant. After being seated however, we were ignored. Eventually, someone came with water and we were ignored again. A third person came over with bread after another 20 minutes and we asked for a new table, away from the door, which took additional wait time. Service was slow and we had two waitresses trying to initially wait on us. Once we were in our new table, things were ok. The food was ok although the fish tacos were awesome; best part of the meal. Aside from all the waiting, it was disappointing that the dessert I order an hour and a half before was served to patrons near me but not myself because they ran out.
- I did not thnk the food wasLunchingDined on 1/27/2012I did not thnk the food was great. the presentation was poor. This place is more of a small plates and drinks. The happy hour specials looked great. I wouldn't dine here for dinner but maybe lunch or happy hour.Special Features:
- Don't ever go here. I wentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/27/2012Don't ever go here. I went for restaurant week so it should have been a bargain. I could have had better service and better food at Ruby Tuesday on Valentine's Day. The sirloin came overcooked, with Stovetop stuffing on top and a side of limp member fries served in a fake frying basket, lined with red and white checkered wax paper from a Jersey shore burger joint. For the first course, all but one of our entire party got the same dish, half without - half with the standard condiment for the dish. The Lone Ranger was offered second course instead of what he ordered for first course, which came out 10 minutes later. Second Course was a bland dumped-on-a-plate salad, the best part of which were the roasted seeds. Dessert was mediocre. Stay Out
- Gluten free happily accomodatedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/8/2012This is a reliable restaurant when you want a good meal and no wait. It's close by my apartment and reasonably priced. The service is pretty great and they were very responsive to my gluten free request.Special Features:
- Decent pub food; rowdy crowd!OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 1/1/2012Decent pub food; rowdy crowd! Good drinks. Nicer than many bars.Special Features: