220 South 17th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.tavern17restaurant.com/
- Phone: (215) 790-1799
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast Monday - Friday: 6:30am - 10:00am Dining Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Friday: 5:00pm - 12:00am; Brunch Saturday - Sunday - Holidays: 7:00am - 3:00pm; Dining Saturday: 3:00pm - 12:00am; Sunday - Holidays: 3:00pm - 11:00pm. Outside seating hours may differ. Reservations are not accepted for outside seating.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Benjamin Young
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Tavern 17 will cater to your office for breakfast or all day dining up until 8pm for up to 50 people at a time. Please inquire at 215-790-7755 for details, pricing and menu selections.
- Private Party Facilities: Tavern 17 provides a fresh alternative venue for that special event or celebration you are planning. It is the perfect atmosphere for graduations, rehearsal dinners, engagement parties, birthday and anniversary dinners and networking events. Tavern 17 is avialable for Private Luncheons.
- Private Party Contact: Patty Burch 0000000000
A word from Tavern 17
There is nothing which has yet been contrived by man, by which so much happiness is produced as by a good tavern." -Samuel Johnson Throughout time, taverns have been synonymous with Philadelphia. They were the social hub of the neighborhood; a place for men and women from all walks of life to meet, eat, drink, toast, sing & argue. The concept is timeless, the story inspiring, the room inviting, the people irresistible.... Welcome to Tavern 17. This stunning restaurant and bar in the Rittenhouse Square district of the city offers an innovative menu. From 5pm - 7pm Monday through Friday and 9pm - 11pm Sunday is Happy "17:00" Hour featuring $2 off ALL Draft Beers, $5 House Wine and Appetizers for every kind of taste bud. There is a wine centric beverage menu featuring over 45 glasses of white or red wines. Two private dining rooms, outside dining and a great brew menu complement the restaurant well. No reservations for outside seating accept.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Tavern 17 reviews from OpenTable diners
16 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (6)neighborhood gem (4)fit for foodies (3)special occasion (3)late-night find (3)romantic (3)notable wine list (2)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)hot spot (1)scenic view (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Food was great, reasonably pricedGillyDined on 11/14/2014Food was great, reasonably priced, the lady on the front desk was fabulous, friendly, helpful with a huge smile. One of the other waitresses was a little terse and a bit seriousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tavern 17AleighDined on 10/4/2014Went with a large group for my birthday dinner. Service and food was average. Decor was nice and bar scene is good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sloooowww paceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/19/2014The wife and I decided to dine at any restaurant during Restaurant Week as a last hurrah before welcoming a child into our lives. We ended up here because reservations were available here as opposed to all of the more desirable restaurants. Decor is modern and neat. Live music for the night was nice, both audible but unobtrusive. Pros: - Friendly staff, helpful despite slow food service. - Large and delicious desserts. - I would recommend the crab chowder. Cons: - Just about anything I tried to order was unavailable. - Slow service despite the restaurant being pretty empty.Special Features:
- Bad ChoiceYohansDined on 9/19/2014Came to T17 for Restaurant Week on a Friday evening. Although this is a nice looking place it was such a bad choice in the end. Upon arrival no one greeted us for some time. The service was so poor with long waits in between each course. My party was not satisfied w/meal. It was a couple of things that was good such as the braised beef and beef quesadilla but for the most part the meals were not very enjoyable. I really feel that the poor service is what made the evening bad. Overall it took over 2 hours to finish a 4 course meal when there was really no other customers in the restaurant. So would not recommend this place for anyone's dinning experience.
- needs workoctopusDined on 9/14/2014room: needs complete make-over. chairs just hanging together, new paint job needed, new floor needed. service: cup of tea came w/o teacup. then cup came without teaspoon. at lease they didn't rush us out, but that may be because there were very few customers. price matches the premium hotel they are in, but Tavern 17 does not deserve the fee. should have gone to a diner for Sunday lunch.
- Bad ServicephillygirlDined on 9/13/2014I had a great meal at Tavern 17 and so did everyone else in my party, however slightly overpriced. Also, the wait staff was very rude and not welcoming or helpful at all. Also the windows were all open and the restaurant was freezing cold.
- Good food/ bad serviceJayRoDined on 8/30/2014Waffles and smoked salmon Benedict were good. Service was extremely amateur. No smile or eye contact. Dropped off my credit card on the table and didn't even give my date and I a proper farewell; didn't say good bye, thanks for coming in, or have a good day. The service really ruined what I thought to be a good meal.
- The following 522 reviews are from the Tavern 17 reviews archive.
- Breakfast groupbreakfastclub1Dined on 7/19/2014Our breakfast group meets once a month here and has been doing so for a couple of years. We really enjoy the service and the ambiance as well as the waitresses and servers who have always been very friendly and go out of their way to accommodate us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/13/2014Limited brunch menu after they close buffet at 11:00 am. Food was well prepared with modest portions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent small menuLoveParkLadyVIPDined on 7/12/2014I had eaten lunch at Tavern 17 many times, but this was the first time there for dinner. Our party of 4 were the only diners at a table; there was a couple seated outdoors and many people at the bar, so it was a bit strange to have the whole place to ourselves. The menu is varied enough that our vegan diner found an appetizer and an entree that pleased her (crab soup and a cheese-free pizza). The short rib quesadillas were delicious, and the sweet potato fries were some of the best I've ever had. My husband loved his steak, saying it was melt-in-the-mouth good. Service was extremely efficient and very friendly. The wine list is decent. The re-designed Warwick Hotel lobby might be a train wreck, but the hotel restaurant is a winner.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/5/2014I was a little disappointed that for $28.00 you get just four average size scallops. While they were good they were not worth $7.00 a piece.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/7/20142 wonderful experiences - one for dinner and one for brunch! Excellent food and wine, outstanding service, great and comfortable ambience! So glad that we dined with you and hope to do so again, very soon!Special Features:
- Okay placeGabbyDined on 5/25/2014I went for brunch on Sunday and was a little disappointed... The food was okay and the service was fine. I would give it another try but was not impressed by the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!TUgradDined on 5/15/2014This restaurant was not a top choice for a graduation dinner with my family. But, just two days prior to my college graduation I was put on a liquid diet. I needed to find a restaurant that had soup I would like, and food my family would enjoy, that would also be a nice place to celebrate. Tavern 17 ended up being PERFECT! The food was incredible! It's a very nice little place, very cozy and comfortable. The only downside is for a not so busy night, the service was a tad slow. Overall - great! I will definitely be back!Special Features:
- very slow servicebrandyDined on 5/3/2014The place is very nice however, there was only 1 server available for a saturday mid-afternoon. There was no one to greeet us, someone at the bar told us to come in and have a seat.
- Expected moreOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/6/2014There was no problem placing a reservation on-line. We were running 30 minutes late and tried calling the restaurant, but no one would pick up phone. When we arrived (around 3:30 pm Sunday) there was no host to greed us and to escort to our table. The personal either had meeting or break at the bar. They all saw us, but no one approached us. We waited a few minutes until bar man just shouted (Politely though) to come in and take a seat. The waiter that served us - Never introduced herself. No friendly greeting NEVER EVEN SMILED (not exaggerating). After serving food never asked how we liked it or if we need anything. And get this, before we even told her if we want desert or not and before we asked her, she brings our check!!! Food is so-so
- Edible but mediocre food andOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/31/2014Edible but mediocre food and a spacey server and slow kitchen. And since we were early, there were few tables occupied.
- Bland Food, Bland experienceFoodie31Dined on 3/15/2014The last time I was at T 17, the food and ambiance was terrific. I remember there was a live jazz band and it was a great place for a date. Now that Raddison took over, it seems like the quality of the food has dropped drastically. The service was very slow and the noise level was so loud that when the server did come by, we couldn't hear what he was saying.
- Average food, great serviceEstroVIPDined on 3/5/2014was there in an empty night so service was very good. remember that in full nights the service was ok (they were very nice just under staffed). the food is not so good, but for the price you pay it's ok. great for a bar to watch a game, but not more then that... their buffet breakfast is very nice.Special Features:
- Not PreparedmikelVIPDined on 2/16/2014Upon arrival, there was a sign out front alerting patrons that they only accept cash (to be fair, the waitress warned us upon seating at the table that their credit card machine had broken). Between our drinks, appetizers and entrees, we were told time and time again that they were out. The waitress, herself, although I think she meant well, did not try to gently interrupt or say, "Excuse me" during our conversations, but rather just burst out. Then the door to the hotel was kept open which let in a HUGE draft on a really cold evening. All in all, wouldn't go back even when they offered to take our appetizers off of the bill.Special Features:
- we have a group of friendsbreakfastclub1Dined on 2/15/2014we have a group of friends that meet there every month for breakfast. Service is good. Usually quiet and we can spend a lot of time together.Special Features:
- Amazing Valentines DinnerFineDine247VIPDined on 2/14/2014All I can say is wow about this Resturant, the food was superb and service was great. We had a 4 course dinner and they did not disappoint. I ate scallops, shrimp bisque, grilled tenderloin and a chocolate lava cake that's to die for. Anyone wanting a great experience and and even greater food should def go here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentines DayKatInTheHatDined on 2/14/2014Food quality and value great. A little loud though.Special Features:
- Very friendly wait staff madeOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/18/2014Very friendly wait staff made for a nice dining experience. Food was good.Special Features:
- Holiday diningSammDined on 12/25/2013Since very few restaurants are open on Christmas Day, the fact that Tavern 17 was open was a plus to begin with. But the experience was not something that just filled in the gap of the day's little offerings. The mid-day dinner was excellent: traditional dinner with all the trimmings, but the flavors blended just right. The waitstaff, despite the fact they had to work on this holiday, were all friendly, courteous and more than competent. Since few diners were there at first, the noise level was so subdued that the quiet music could be heard. All in all, a real plus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good and serviceWUB85Dined on 12/14/2013Food was good and service was pleasant and not intrusive. Guests included one vegetarian and two children. Everyone found something to eat. No dinner specials; limited to menu. Curious that they offer only one choice for salad dressing. They did not offer bread for the table as part of the dinner service, but did accommodate our request. Made one mistake on food prep and corrected it promptly without a fuss. Wine list is moderately priced but limited.
- service outstandingbonnieDined on 11/28/2013We recently dined at Tavern 17 for Thanksgiving. The service was outstanding. We were seated when we arrived which was earlier than our reservation. When we asked to change tables because it was cold near the door, they cheerfully moved us to another table. The food was served in a timely manner. The food was delicious and nicely presented. We enjoyed our dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I was so excited to try thisnikibVIPDined on 8/24/2013I was so excited to try this place but was sorry as soon as I walked in the door. I was expecting a "for for foodie" kind of place but instead got a hotel restaurant. :-( The music was awful dance club music. The menus, in their plastic sleeves, looked like diner menus. The food? While my sandwich was good, that's the same kinda thing I could have ordered at an airport bar. They new to step it up for sure. You're in Rittenhouse for god's sake!!
- Ate breakfast here twiceluv2dineVIPDined on 8/18/2013while staying at the Radisson. Both buffet and the items ordered from the menu were very tasty. We splurged for our anniversary and ate out almost every meal of the weekend (thanks to opentable for that as well!)Special Features:
- Great for chatting with friendsgoodyDined on 7/9/2013Nice relaxing atmosphere. The waitstaff was attentive, but we never felt rushed. Background music was just that, not to loud, so we could hear each other talk.Special Features:
- T17MargDined on 5/30/2013Great find for good food shared with friends in an atmosphere where you can talk! Good service as well...nice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service a little slowSamsonDined on 5/18/2013The place is casual and a bit noisy. The bar was right next to the dining tables. The pasta was a bit limp and the sauce watery. We had to remind the waiter to give us the check.
- Not Good/Not BadKELLYDined on 5/12/2013It was just ok. The food wasn't nasty but it did nothing to particularly stand out either. It was Mothers Day and they were able to accommodate a group of 13 two weeks in advance which was good. But while it wasn't crowded and had several open tables, and the brunch was buffet style so the waitress only had to clear tables and bring drinks, she was painfully inattentive.Special Features:
- Nothing specialOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/4/2013Went for brunch and was disappointed. Ordered shrimp and grits. Shrimp and poached eggs were overcooked. Grits were flavorless. One friend found his scrambled eggs to be ok. Waitress was a bit clueless and unkept. Will not rush back.
- We were a party of 10 andFood4meVIPDined on 4/27/2013We were a party of 10 and everyone was happy with their meal.Special Features:
- Had brunch with 6 friends.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/21/2013Had brunch with 6 friends. Nice menu selection and the food was delicious.Special Features:
- Has gotten better since previousOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 4/19/2013Has gotten better since previous visits both in terms of food and service. Still room for improvement though.
- The overall experience wasLydiaGirlDined on 4/18/2013The overall experience was good. The one complint that I have is, when ordering wine, I was told by the waitress that it was Happy Hour and the house wines were $5.00. I ordered Pino Gregio, was not told that it was not included in with the Happy Hour price. When we got the bill, the charge was $9.00 for the wine. Very disappointing. We brought it to the waitresses attention and it was then that she told us that it was not one of the $5.00 wines. How would I know that Pino Grigio was not one of the house wines??Special Features:
- Everything was outstanding.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/14/2013Everything was outstanding. From making reservation to our meal & service. Price was very reasonable.Special Features:
- After reading mixed reviewsdiningoutVIPDined on 3/27/2013After reading mixed reviews I did not know what to expect. The food was very nice. I had the wings (but had to ask for paper napkins for my fingers) and then also the seafood linguine. I think the sauce was a bit heavy and wouldn't have minded a few more pieces of scallops or shrimp but cannot complain. My friend had the bbq salmon which was very good as well. The service was not the best as we did wait at points but seemed they might have been short staffed. I would return.