TATU - Baltimore
614 Water Street
Baltimore, MD 21202Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $30 and under
TATU - Baltimore
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://tatubaltimore.com/
- Phone: 4102447385
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Wed - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday-Saturday 5:00pm-1:00am, Closed Sunday-Tuesday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Asian
- Executive Chef: Joe Babcox
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: On site and off site catering available. Contact email@example.com
- Private Party Facilities: Located two short blocks from the Inner Harbor, TATU's sleek and sophisticated atmosphere complements the eclectic and vibrant menu. Two private rooms on the second level are ideal for groups from 10-75. Let us customize the perfect celebration for you!
- Private Party Contact: Gina Geppi 8883276548
- Entertainment: DJ on Fridays and Saturdays, Lounge music.
- Special Events: Sushi and sake classes, wine dinners, singles events. Follow us on FB for details.
A word from TATU - Baltimore
TATU, an explosive celebration of Asian cuisine featuring three of the most popular styles of cooking from the Orient and bringing them together on a powerful stage set. The menu is separated into three distinct categories: Chinois Pan Asian, the artful combination of Asian ingredients with French technique; Hunan and Szechwan Chinese, traditional Chinese classics and Japanese Sushi. TATU showcases a plush sake lounge, private tatami rooms and a full sushi bar, all captured in an intoxicating 1930’s Deco Shanghai setting. Voted "Best New Restaurant" by Baltimore Magazine in 2011.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
TATU - Baltimore reviews from OpenTable diners
- My girlfriend and I went thereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2014My girlfriend and I went there for valentines day. The staff was so sweet to us and the food was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Avoid Pre fixe daysKamiKDined on 2/14/2014The pre fixe menu was a shared choice of 2 appetizers, 1 entree and 1 dessert. I thought it was wrong, why would anyone have separate appetizers and SHARE 1 entree. Salmon was slimy, rice was similar to uncle Ben's rice (not good). I wish just walked out.
- something changedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/8/2014I went to Tatu a year or so ago for a special birthday celebration. the waiter gave us suggestions on what to order. We listened, and were so pleasantly surprised. Everything was delicious! this time around, nothing we ordered was good. One of the rolls we got was so bad we couldn't even stomach it. Unfortunately, to my dismay, we still had to pay for that roll. I would probably not go back.Special Features:
- Great food Bad DJMaiaDined on 2/7/2014I reserved a table for my bday on a Friday night and the food was great however I'm very dissappointed two of my friends could not come in bec they showed up at 10 n were carded bec they weren't 21. It does not say on the website you have to 21 after 10 nore does it say it turns into a bar and no food is served all it says is that it's open "until" . This was very misleading and had I known that I would have gone somewhere else bec my guest traveled far toget here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Ambience…Lackluster CuisinetheSwedishChefDined on 1/24/2014The biggest drawbacks are portion size in comparison to price and that while their specialty drinks are very good and very creative; there is an extreme mark up on them. Our server Samantha was friendly and very attentive; however there is a balance between, attentive and annoying and the serving staff walks a fine line. Overall, I would recommend TATU for the ambience and the bar selection, while the price may be on the high side, the drinks are well made. I cannot recommend based solely on the food quality and you can find better sushi at a grocery store for a lot less. Overall B-Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty decent experienceKylepbDined on 12/21/2013We had a nice time but from a food perspective a super weak Pad Thai put a huge damper on our dinner. The noodles were cut WAY too small and it was very wet. If it was at a corner Thai restaurant I would excuse it, but for a $25 plate I expect a great deal more. The sushi was excellent and I would order it again.Special Features:
- We loved itEMPTTummy88Dined on 12/6/2013Great food, great ambiance, great service, great happy hour specials, no complaintsSpecial Features:
- The ambiance is amazing! TheJobiDined on 12/6/2013The ambiance is amazing! The staff was energetic and knowledgeable about the menu. Our food was great and fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeFabulousDined on 11/27/2013My group visits for the sushi Wednesday deal. Good food, bottomless sake and always a great time. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent experiencesushilover247Dined on 11/21/2013Overall, we had an excellent time and will be back again. Great sushi and atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yuckOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/9/2013i do not recommend this place as a restaurant - i think its more of an after hours club.
- A new gemJacksmommyDined on 10/11/2013My husband and I were in the mood for Asian food downtown and had never heard of TATU. It was a lucky chance we took in trying a new place. I don't think it's very well known yet, but once it is, good luck getting a reservation. The food was excellent, and the happy hour specials allowed us to really indulge. The sushi was some of the best I've tried. The service was very attentive. Overall an excellent experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulRjnor1980Dined on 10/5/2013Great food, great service! We had 7pm reservations on a Saturday evening so it wasn't busy and we didn't have to wait to be seated. Our server was excellent and her food suggestions were on point.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I really enjoyed Tatu. TheBob4uDined on 10/4/2013I really enjoyed Tatu. The atmosphere was great. Nice spot for a romantic date or a place to go out with friends. Also had a DJ, around 11pm. More people came and made it a nice spot to chill r socialize.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- There was a backup in theLSerksDined on 9/18/2013There was a backup in the kitchen due to a large party with a special request. After finding out why it was taking so long for our food, the manager was very hospitable and offered us a free drink and made sure our food came out quickly. I was very impressed with the service!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphere and foodNjluvbirdsDined on 8/31/2013My wife and I went to Tatu to celebrate our anniversary. The staff was aware of my desire for a special evening and went out of their way to provide a memorable evening. The ambience was upbeat yet relaxing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun, Different, Great FoodGiftsDined on 8/2/2013Fun atmosphere with charming decor and lively music attended by DJ. Food was delicious from spicy tuna roll, BBQ Salmon, too amazing banana dessert. A great first experience. I want to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dessert spring rollsHurtme85Dined on 7/26/2013The banana macadamia spring rolls I had for dessert was the best dessert I've ever had, it was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was terribleOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/26/2013I have not been out to eat in a long time where the food was this bad. The salmon I ordered was overcooked and the fried rice was so sweet it was like eating straight sugar. I have eaten all over the country and this is the worst food I've ever had. The servers were lovely and very attentive and sweet. The takeout Chinese I order at home is ten times better. Ambiance is great but I highly recommend them getting a new Chef. I was so bummed because we went as part of Baltimore restaurant week. It was so disappointed!
- Nice food and bar sceneJones4076Dined on 7/19/2013Wanted to try a new restaurant close to where my party was going for entertainment that evening. Chose TATU and we weren't disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Sushi Restaurant AroundJennyDined on 7/11/2013WOW! What a wonderful all around experience we had at Tatu last Friday night! The food was superb, the wait staff and hostess were phenomenal, and the ambience was awesome. We had a party of 11 and were treated like queens! I will go back each and every time I am in Baltimore!!! Thanks so much!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi for a great priceJWebDined on 6/20/2013All you can eat sushi for $15 on Thursday, with bottomless $5 saki was great. We noticed the service was quite slow for bringing the food out, but when its all you can eat, its probably in their best interest. Atmosphere was great and the restaurant was quite empty so it was quiet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Arrived at reservation time.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/19/2013Arrived at reservation time. We waited at hostess station for 5 minutes. Everyone ignored us. No one came to greet/seat us. We decided to leave.
- Not fine diningBmoreHungryDined on 6/15/2013I was really excited to find an interesting place to go to eat sushi. Tatu is an aesthetically pleasing spot, and the young staff is very friendly, but this is not a place to go for a decent dinner. The food was not even average, it was ok, and that's it. I can go to a little dive sushi spot int he suburbs for much tastier morsels. I have to admit, I imagine the place is really fun at night, if you go with a group for the nightclub scene. Tatu is the awkward little sister to some really great restaurants in SF... it's trying, and it looks really good, but it isn't hitting the mark... not even close. Sorry, Tatu, your food is not anything to talk about. I'm disappointed to have to say that. You are really pretty though.Special Features:
- Amazing sushiNiikkiDined on 6/8/2013If you like creative takes on sushi then this is your spot. you can literally taste how fresh the fish is as soon as you bite into it. this place is phenomenal and that's just all I can say about it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hanging with friendsBpw1Dined on 6/7/2013The night was fine. Food service a little slow although not overly crowded however the manager comped us drinks for the inconvenience so that was appreciated. Food was ok, we ordered several appetizers for variety. Our waitress was lovely. There was some sort of show going on in the back but we couldn't really see. A place for nice ambiance and interesting sounding food just wish the food quality was better. I've been here once before for sushi happy hr and again didn't love the food. I also frequented this place when it was Blue Sea and I loved everything about it. I came at least three times a month then.Special Features:
- No Sushi Chef in that kitchen...SpoiledDateDined on 5/31/2013I chose this restaurant based on a YELP rating and was very disappointed in the food. Ordered "pot stickers" AKA dumplings and they were rubbery. Fried calamari was over-breaded and all stuck together. Shrimp tempura was super thin cut and over cooked. The sushi roll was just yucky with mushy rice and too much of it. Also, all the sauces seemed watered down and thin. Would go there for drinks (good happy hour prices) but not to eat.Special Features:
- DJ was playing music too loudnonya2573VIPDined on 3/22/2013DJ was playing music too loud for dinner crowd and with no good reason since no one was at the bar drinking and no one was dancing.
- My mom, my girlfriend, sisterOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/22/2013My mom, my girlfriend, sister and her friend and I came to Tatu for my sister's 17th birthday. The food was excellent but even better was the service. Our server, Nick, went above and beyond to make the experience memorable. Nick even went as far as to buy my sister her birthday dessert. As for the rest of the meal, I recommend the Korean Barbeque as a small plate and all of the sushi was really good. Overall I would give Tatu a 5/5 and will definitely return. I recommend Tatu to everyone.Special Features:
- Sexy, Calm, Hot Energy!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013Ambiance great! Chic and comfortable seats. Great overall experience. I have recommended tatu to many friends and family after discovering it a year ago. It is sexy , chic, calm appeal with colors/design that creates fire and desire to try something new! I loved all my experiences there.Special Features:
- Dessert saved the day!IlikegreatsvcDined on 2/2/2013We went on Restaurant week. The portions of food were very small. I am not a big sushi person, so the main courses of the restaraunt are lacking for those who don't. What saved the visit was the dessert. The banana macadamian carmel spring roll with vanilla ice cream. Mannnnn, that may have been the tastiest pastry I've ever had in my life. Made me wanna slap my momma. lol. That dessert alone made the visit worth while.Special Features:
- Overall I liked the restraunt,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/2/2013Overall I liked the restraunt, but probably a bit too pricey for what you get. Went there for Restraunt week and got 2 additional rolls of sushi beyond what the menu called for and The food wasn't bad, but probably not worth the price.Special Features:
- Tatu did some renovating lately,AngieCDined on 1/31/2013Tatu did some renovating lately, and it looks great. Still has the same basic layout, but no more booths, more loungy type seating. there are a few tables, which I prefer. It can be hard trying to eat sushi bent over a low table. We had the restaurant week menu and it was awesome. lots of food for the price. sushi was fresh, desserts outstanding. can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Cool atmosphere....food- ehhhhhJackDined on 1/31/2013I was really excited to try this place for Restaurant Week. The menu sounded delicious. The atmosphere was really cool. I was excited for the Philly cheesesteak spring rolls. The food was average at best. Nothing we ate made me want to come back again. The best part of the meal was the dessert.Special Features:
- A Night to RememberOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/22/2012Outstanding! Tatu (Baltimore) manager, Mario Balderas, and his staff were over and beyond accommodating with our large group of 18 people. The staff was charming and attractive much like the decor of this chic sexy restaurant. The food was delicious, fresh, and colorful; the menu appealed to all who attended with their different appetites and likes. Cocktails were unique and delicious, my group enjoyed the Watermelon Mojito and the Blushing Geisha. Again, the ambiance and music was sexy and tasteful. From the Valet $9 parking at Tatu Restaurant/Lounge to the bar crawl in Power Plant Live... The guidance of Mario Balderas and Dayna Wilde (sales manager of Power Plant Live) our special evening was a success....a night to remember!Special Features:
- I would recommend Tatu forOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/18/2012I would recommend Tatu for drinks and some starting sushi and then moving on to another restaurant for your entree. While the restaurant was not full, they seemed understaffed for the clientele they did have and service was super-spotty. We had to wait quite a while to give our order but thorughout the meal our water glasses were filled continuously so it was an interesting mix. Also, our server says, "the bar made an extra hendricks cocktail so I thought I'd give it to you" to my husband who had ordered and finished one of those drinks. We thought it would be free, we were charged for it. But, when my entree order had not been heard and then they were out of it when we placed it later they did comp. the dish I chose so very uneven service.
- WINE AND DINEOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/16/2012HAD AN AMAZING SERVER, LOVE THE AMBIANCE AND GREAT FOOD.Special Features:
- Don't skip dessertmahjonggjudyVIPDined on 9/12/2012Went early on a Wednesday evening. Not very crowded. Our waiter Greg was very attentive. Favorite part of our meal was dessert. Shared a Lotus Blossom Cup...AMAZING! White chocolate mousse with pieces of white chocolate in it that melted in your mouth inside a chocolate wafer cup dipped in milk chocolate. YUM!Special Features:
- food was good - wsant timedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/9/2012food was good - wsant timed very well. dishes came out at different times though.Special Features:
- When the soup is off the menuOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/9/2012When the soup is off the menu because "the truck doesn't come 'til tomorrow", one has to question both the quality and the commitment. Sushi and maki and sashimi were good. "Chilled" sake was only in the fridge for an hour. Poor!