Tastings - A Restaurant, Wine Shop & Wine Bar
502 East Market
Charlottesville, VA 22902Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Tastings - A Restaurant, Wine Shop & Wine Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.tastingsofcville.com/
- Phone: 434-293-3663
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Wednesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Catering: Tastings does cater locally. Contact 434-293-3663 for a personal consultation or email Bill at email@example.com.
A word from Tastings - A Restaurant, Wine Shop & Wine Bar
When Tastings started in 1990 it was the only fully integrated Wine Shop/ Wine Bar/ Restaurant on the East Coast. About twenty years later, there is still only a handful of establishments in the U.S. such as Tastings. Besides being an outstanding wine shop in its own right as well as a fine restaurant, Tastings offers a large selection of wines by the glass. Wines are offered in flights for experimentation with a meal for a modest fee over the retail price of wines in the shop. Tastings' restaurant serves simple, direct cuisine that allows each customer a gustatory and educational experience in a friendly but professional fine restaurant.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Tastings - A Restaurant, Wine Shop & Wine Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
17 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
notable wine list (14)fit for foodies (11)special occasion (7)romantic (4)great for outdoor dining (4)neighborhood gem (4)good for groups (1)hot spot (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Wonderful experienceZorroVIPDined on 10/18/2014What a treasure! This is a restaurant connected to a wine shop. Great food, knowledgeable sommelier, and reasonable prices. Most highly recommended for good food and wine.Special Features:
- Great food but needs renovationsOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/18/2014The food was outstanding and widely varied, but the interior of the building is in desperate need of attention. It screamed 1970s with an aweful yellow/off white paint job and painted on icons on the wall all of which had not been well taken care of. Again, interior aside, the food was fantastic, and being in a wine shop, well you know the wine list is out of this world!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still goodMaPaVIPDined on 10/2/2014Had not been there in years---still has good food and, of course, wine.Special Features:
- Luv2doWIneVIPDined on 9/27/2014Enjoyed a delicious dinner on a Saturday night with my husband. The service was excellent and the food is outstanding! Highly recommend...it's a hidden gem in Charlottesville. We will be returning when visiting again. Thanks :)
- Tastings-CharlottesvilleFredDined on 9/25/2014Tastings restaurant is a novel concept where many wines can be tasted in an evening along with food. Wines are sold by the half glass or glass and the choices of wines are numerous. The accompanying dishes are good too. For tasting numerous wines this venue is excellent. We also bought a couple wines in the store-side to verify reviews I read on Trip Advisor concerning the owner's noteworthy reputation for pinpointing an individual's tastes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice!LovelyDined on 9/20/2014Took my foodie teen sons here on trip to Charlottesville. They liked it and they have eaten at some very fine dining across the country. Wine pairing was great. Recommend the wild boar and crab casserole. Duck was not cooked as I like it but the sauce was excellent. OMG pecan cake to die for! Prosciutto and melon delicious. Only negative was 2 waitresses really had the entire restaurant and one was the wine server. They personally handled it well, but a third server was needed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinner on saturday nightgoodeatsDined on 9/6/2014We had a lovely time with great wine choices. The mushroom soup was excellent.. The staff was very friendly but not intrusive. The wine shop that is near by has a wonderful wine selection. If you get a chance to talk with the chef/owner he is very knowledgeable about wines and local history. I would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow - what a surprisedoonalucVIPDined on 8/1/2014This place is tiny and we were a little nervous when we got there. The food was FABULOUS. We loved that the chef wandered around and talked to patrons and Louis knows his wine. We will make the 2 1/2 hour drive to eat there againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect MatchtimeforwineDined on 7/26/2014The food was excellent and our waitress did a great job of matching up wines with the food. Wines we had never heard of but liked so well we bought them to take home. Dearly wish it wasn't 4 hours away.Special Features:
- BMWOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/26/2014Tastings is a favorite for us. Bill Curtis' wine pairings are always spot on.Special Features:
- Top notch refined dining experienceSkyKingDined on 7/17/2014This operation is run by real pros. Whether it is in the wine shop or in the kitchen, the result is terrific. The starting place is great food which is then matched by a wine cellar that doubles as the wine shop. As they sell for a margin of above the shop price, you have a great handle on the wine value. A learning experience as well in that the enthusiastic proprietor regales you in the reason that he selected the wine for the shop and for the meal.Special Features:
- The following 63 reviews are from the Tastings - A Restaurant, Wine Shop & Wine Bar reviews archive.
- Accidental DinerDFPdlMDined on 6/20/2014An delightful surprise. Not being from the area I had modest expectations that were exceeded all around. The food was nothing short of perfect. The wine list includes the entire adjacent wine store. When I asked for a specific rather rare varietal, they had it. The friendliness of the staff compensated for the brief shortfalls. Pricing was very reasonable for the level of quality. This place should be full every night, yet paradoxically it wasn't even at half capacity. What is wrong with the people of Charlottesville? Get out and frequent this place!Special Features:
- Graduation WeekendmomoVIPDined on 5/16/2014Wonderful choice for our graduation celebration. Food was excellent, especially the seafood choices- I had the grouper. great selection of wine (almost too many choices-so we took some home) and very helpful staff in pairing the wine with the food, owner was very gracious and entertainingSpecial Features:
- Hidden but worth ittymelyronVIPDined on 4/25/2014A bit hidden a block off the downtown mall but enjoyed our dinner. Fried oysters as either appetizer or entree were great, as was the bison short rib. The crab casserole was excellent as well. Lots of specials for the night and parking at the garage next door was validated.Special Features:
- A jewelLouiseDined on 3/29/2014The food and wine are outstanding, but it's the owner who makes this nook glow with particular warmth. A marvelous character who welcomes you into his home. Have dined at Tastings several times over the years and never been even MILDLY disappointed. EVERSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming and great food!CharlieDined on 3/15/2014Tastings is a quirky little place with a real charm. We were greeted warmly and seated promptly. Service was friendly and prompt. The food focuses on outstanding ingredients and simple preparations that highlight the flavors without a hint of pretension. The mushroom soup was outstanding with a French onion soup base and black trumpet mushrooms. My wife's fried oysters were perfectly done. She had the mushroom plate for her entre, almost a vegetarian plate except for bacon included in one of the components. I had the medallions of leg of lamb. Both were great dishes with beautifully chosen side items. Best of all were the wine selections by the glass recommended by the sommelier -- perfect and not always obvious choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- remarkableCharlottesvillianVIPDined on 1/18/2014Fantastic wood - and a shocking selection of wines professionally selected with great taste by the owner. All around a superb dining experience in a relatively informal setting. Top choice in downtown Charlottesville.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- even better than I had hopedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/28/2013I was intrigued with the comments about wine recommendations and the intimacy of the place...it was everything I had hoped...wine paired perfectly with food perfectly prepared....I will definitely be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great IdeaJeffVIPDined on 11/30/2013We really enjoyed the ambiance and combination of selecting wine from the retail shop to pair with our dinner. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The menu was very eclectic and ambitious, some of our selections were excellent some missed their mark. However it was an overall fun experience and we will return next time in Charlottesville.Special Features:
- Magificent wine and food selectionCharlottesvillianVIPDined on 11/23/2013As always - fabulous wine tasting to go with outstanding dishes. Great place, great service.Special Features:
- Great findRedheadVIPDined on 11/9/2013This is a small hole in the wall place with excellent food and a great wine selection. The owner will come to your table and suggest wine pairings that are right on the dot. No fuss, no attitude, just great wines and delicious food. We were very happy we came here during our weekend visit to Charlottesville.Special Features:
- Lots of good wine choices;colgateDined on 10/26/2013Lots of good wine choices; we had four. Excellent wild mushroom entree and Sherwood Farms filet. Service was attentive and we had good conversations with long-time owner Bill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A lovely place to dine with friendsnetwayVIPDined on 10/25/2013I used reviews for restaurants in Charlottesville to find a place where the food was good and the atmosphere was one that would allow pleasant conversation. We hit the mark with Tastings! We had a lovely evening catching up with our college son and his friend. We never felt rushed and it was quiet enough for good conversation. The food was also very good and it was fun to talk to the owner about wine choices. We are not wine connosieurs and he never made us feel lesser than because we didn't know our wine. He genuinely wanted us to have a great experience and to help us find something we would like.Special Features:
- UncomfortableoutnaboutDined on 10/19/2013I made a reservation for 6. I came in 30min early to let them know we were going to be short a person, possibly two, but I was not for sure. Immediately, I was made to feel as though our group was an issue for them. Come 6:05 we had still not been seated and I had to ask him to seat us. The room was empty other than one table of 4. The menu was on a chalk board, which we could not see from our table. We had to get up and walk over to the board in order to choose our food. The staff was unfamiliar with the menu. I will say food was very good, no complaints there, but the overall experience was uncomfortable. We have so many great local restaurants around C-Ville where the food and service is excellent. This is not one of them.
- Worth the ridegood2BbackDined on 8/29/2013We met another couple coming from an hour on the other side of Charlottesville. We gave our sommelier a taste range and a price range, and he served us to two different and equally satisfying reds. The menu was diverse, and we ordered accordingly. All meals were wonderful - meats, seafood, sides, appetizers. The servings were more than ample. We agreed that we would all eat and drink there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Once again, great food and wineRegularChicagoDinerVIPDined on 8/24/2013Tastings is a regular for us due to the exceptional wine flights and knowledge of the owner about wine. The food is reliably good, but was exceptionally tasty tonight. Service, which can vary in friendliness and efficiency was high on both. Great place to pick a flight and ask Bill (owner) or waiter/waitress to suggest food to go with it. You will enjoy the adventure and maybe learn some new and interesting food and wine informationSpecial Features:
- Great experienceBacchusDined on 8/22/2013Excellent food with an impressive array of fine wines which the owner will help you select to complement your food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We have been coming to TastingsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/26/2013We have been coming to Tastings for 20+ years and have never been disappointed in the food. As wine lovers, we feel this is the perfect place to dine and be able to pick from anything in the wine shop. We live in another state and come to Charlottesville for dining and visiting wineries.Special Features:
- This place has hung on a longOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/2/2013This place has hung on a long time, in a town with many fine restaurants, yet has not flagged a bit in quality. It is just such a pleasant place to eat.Special Features:
- This was our first visit.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/9/2013This was our first visit. The food and service was superb; my husband said it was the best duck he'd ever had and my guinea hen was very tasty. Although we were pleased with the service and food, I was a little disappointed with the atmosphere (a little too quiet)and the dated feel of the restaurant.Special Features:
- This restaurant is locatedCharlottesvilleFoodieVIPDined on 1/5/2013This restaurant is located in a wine shop so of course the wine was spectacular! That was my favorite part of the meal. The owner picked several wines to make into a flight and then told us what they were after we had tasted them and picked our favorites. All were very good. The dinner itself was a little disappointing to me. They had run out of a few options and it's already a limited menu to start. Also, I felt like I've had better food at other restaurants. We were the only ones dining here on a Saturday night, which did seem a little strange. I would return for the wine but not necessarily the food.Special Features:
- I loved the atmosphere--localOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/19/2012I loved the atmosphere--local wine appearing on the wine list, local produce and local meats included in the menu's dishes, local paintings on the wall. The service was exceptional, luckily due to my good fortune of eating at a time when it was completely empty. The service was timely and gracious, and reminded me of a cozy family dinner. The staff was informed and welcoming, shared in friendly banter with my overbearing father and provided helpful guidance. Do not let the empty restaurant fool you, this place is fantastic. I particularly enjoyed the Grouper and the Skirt Steak. Tasting's is easily one of Charlottesville's hidden gems, tucked away in a wine shop on the backside of the Downtown Mall.Special Features:
- KCinDCkcindcVIPDined on 10/5/2012What an unexpected delight to find Tastings and Bill Curtis in Charlottesville! We had read he knew his wines, but were still unprepared for the exceptional experience we had at his restaurant and wine bar. Let's just say this: Bill IS the wine list! He finds out what you are eating and what you like and then produces half glasses paired perfectly with the dishes. He won't tell you what you're drinking until you've tasted and he is spot on! The prices were reasonable, the food delicious and the whole evening completely memorable. Book now!Special Features:
- Great Wine and FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/23/2012Tastings is a combination wine shop and restaurant run by a guy who loves food and wine. He cooks what he likes, using the best available ingredients (often local), and, rather than a wine list, you can choose any bottle from the conprehensive collection in the store (for a small service surcharge), or choose from a wide variety of flights and/or wines by the glass. It's not a fancy restaurant, but the menu always includes items that that aren't common for a small town bistro: fresh morels and chanterelles, wild boar, quail, confit with cassoulet, shad roe, etc. Only issue is that the staff is small, and the place can get overwhelmed (and slow) if there is a large crowd.Special Features:
- Very good food and the sommeliernicknameVIPDined on 6/2/2012Very good food and the sommelier did a very good job with wine pairings.Special Features:
- OddWimpyDined on 5/11/2012What an odd restaurant. We entered through a wine shop where guests were sitting around at the bar. We had to wander around to figure out that there was an actual restaurant attached to the wine shop. The food and wine were mediocre. My daughter and I chose to drink a flight of wines recommended by the restaurant owner and didn't really like any of them. There wasn't a wine list to choose from which I also found odd. The highlight of the entire meal was the olive oil and the bread.
- Great place for quiet nightOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/14/2012Great place for quiet night out for mom and dad, or special celebration. Service first class, food wonderful, and the wine...well it's in a wine store, so I need say no more. Staff very knowledgeable with reliable recommendations. We were visiting from out of town, but would return in a heartbeat. Try this!Special Features:
- We had a wonderful afternoonOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/24/2012We had a wonderful afternoon at Tastings. The food was wonderful and the wine choices were outstanding. No one rushed us and we could still be sitting there and it would be fine with the employees! All of this and the prices were more than reasonable. A great place to spend a Saturday afternoon with friends!Special Features:
- Wine and Food Paried WellLuv2doWIneVIPDined on 1/7/2012This is the real deal: from Wine to app to entrees to dessert. The soups are unbelievable - get the Lobster Bisque and "mushroom" soup, though the mushroom soup is more like a french onion with mushrooms (best I've ever had!). Apps are outstanding. If you like wine, you are in the right place. You can choose from flights of wine or pick your own from the retail wine shop on the premises (actually enhances atmosphere) for a moderate corkage fee of $7. Good selection, especially french wines. Entrees outstanding but can be a little pricey, however definitely worth the money. Tastings is about a lot more than just wine, and you will experience that when you taste the chef cooked food. Highly Recommended, especially if you love wine.Special Features:
- If you're looking for a placeOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/17/2011If you're looking for a place to shop for wine and also have dinner with a flight of wine, this is your place. The wine store staff is very knowledgeable and will assist you in picking the pefect wines to go with your meal. As for the restaurant and food, there are some issues. The duck breast was very fatty (not rendered as well as could be) and the veal loin chop also was excessivlely fatty (about 1/3 of the serving was fat). But the flavors are good and there is potential. I suspect the specials of the day would have been a better way to go. The night we were there it was practically empty. If you're looking for a quiet place to dine with good wine, that makes it a good thing. But a lack of patrons also may mean mediocre meals.Special Features: