Taste Restaurant - Plymouth
9402 Main Street
Plymouth, CA 95669Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
Taste Restaurant - Plymouth
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.restauranttaste.com/
- Phone: 2092453463
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Served: Monday, Thursday & Friday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Saturday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm and Sunday 4:30pm to 9:00pm. Lunch is available on Saturday and Sunday 11:30 to 2pm
Lunch Served: Saturday & Sunday: 11:30-2PM
CLOSED Thanksgiving Day,Christmas Day OPEN for New Years Eve Dinner
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Mark Berkner/James Ablett
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Taste can occasionally provide catering services outside of our restaurant. Special Events: Every Monday Taste offers a three-course Prix Fixe menu priced under $30 per person in addition to our regular dinner menu. The second Thursday of each month is corkage free night.
- Private Party Facilities: Taste is perfect for parties under 30 people. Each of our 2 dining rooms can accommodate just about 30 people. We regularly host Pharmaceutical dinners, private cooking classes for your gourmet group and wine society dinners. We gladly welcome private parties on Tuesday and Wednesday.
- Private Party Contact: Jeremy 2092453463
- Entertainment: Taste is a great place to enjoy an evening with friends and family. Our wine bar offers the full menu and a bar menu with great values without reservations. If you don't know when you'll be arriving we always have a space for you at the wine bar. The wine bar is great for a dessert date too! The main dining room adjacent to the wine bar looks out on the rolling green lawn and gazebo of the town park. Our secluded dining room known as the Tasting Room offers beautifully restored craftsman style wood paneling and built-in buffet. The Tasting room is perfect for those wanting to enjoy a quiet cozy dining experience.
- Special Events: Taste features a “Monday Supper”, a three-course prix fixe menu for $30 or less. The menu changes every week. The menu is posted at the Taste website on Sunday afternoon. The second Thursday of every month is Corkage Free Night
- Cross Street: Mineral
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Parking is available on Main street. The green zone 20 minute parking does not apply. Please use caution when exiting your car curbside as the sidewalks are higher than most cities. There is also a parking lot across the street from the restaurant at the park.
A word from Taste Restaurant - Plymouth
Taste, Amador County's highly acclaimed restaurant is located on Main St. in Plymouth. Taste features a seasonal menu, expansive beer selection and Wine Spectator Award winning wine list that represents the foothills and regions from around the globe. The dinner menu features our popular Mushroom Cigars, three types of mushrooms, goat cheese and herbs rolled in a buttery phyllo dough and baked until golden. Our melt in your mouth steaks and fresh seafood are accompanied by local produce. The house made desserts are seasonally driven and offer creative twists on classics. "The three blocks that put the "down" in downtown Plymouth are an improbable location for a restaurant with a loud foodie drumbeat. Taste is small and comforting, its food a cure for the blahs." Sacramento Magazine. “With its urbane atmosphere and first-rate service, …provides a polished food-and-wine experience that would be right at home in a big city.” Wine Spectator Zagat Rated Top Restaurants in America 2012Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Taste Restaurant - Plymouth - Best Restaurants in Plymouth ›
Taste Restaurant - Plymouth reviews from OpenTable diners
214 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (172)fit for foodies (163)notable wine list (119)romantic (94)neighborhood gem (89)great for lunch (54)good for groups (39)great for brunch (19)hot spot (18)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (3)vibrant bar scene (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/31/20141 glass of wine 12.00, We live in the heart of wine country, The were out of items on the menu. 44.00 for lamb? The portions were small and not that good. I will never go again!
- Exceptional FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014Our second time at Taste did not disappoint. The chef is very creative and served a duck like we have never had. We were hoping for a special dining experience and the meal was so uniquely created and wonderfully delicious that it truly exceeded our high expectations. The only negatives were that it is quite loud and it took about 30 minutes for the waiter, who was otherwise outstanding, to bring us the check. I highly recommend the trip to Plymouth for wine tasting and a meal at Taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014Wonderful food and excellent service. A good choice for a special occasion. Lovely presentation of food and a delicious birthday dessert afterwards (on the house).Special Features:
- deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/30/2014We really enjoyed our dining at Taste. We heard a lot of good things about the restaurant and wanted to take some friends for their anniversary. The food was delicious, the service was very good, except that I spoke to the reservation desk about it being an anniversary dinner for our friends and we wanted a desert specially for them, the waiter was not clued in not this and I has to remind him which spoiled that idea. Other than that it was a good meal.Special Features:
- Expensive and too loudOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2014The restaurant was over priced and very loud.....I also did not like the 'weeds' called salad.Special Features:
- Great Food, Too PopularOmnivoreDined on 8/25/2014Got there 45 minutes ahead of our reservation to sit at the bar and peruse the menu. 15 minutes before our table was due, I notified the hostess that we were there. She told us they were really slammed and couldn't honor our reservation. I told her we had driven over 100 miles and stayed in a hotel just for this dinner. She said she was sorry, but we would have to wait in line. So we sat at the bar, ordered a bottle of wine, bread, and an appetizer. After a while a waitress came out, gave our bread to a couple who had just sat down and hadn't even looked at a menu yet. She then served our appetizer to them as well. Good food, but the service staff is not up to the task..And this was only a Monday night...pity the weekend crowd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience againlizarooDined on 8/25/2014The presentation of food excellent. Taste very good, ambiance goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had the best time . . .OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014celebrating my husband's 55th birthday at Taste. They went out of their way to accommodate our large group (nine), seating us at the back of the restaurant. Service was excellent, with the wait staff attentive to our needs. They never pressured us to hurry, so we were able to relax, confabulate, and laugh over the course of about three hours. The wine list showcased some of the best foothill wines. And best of all, the food! All of us thought the meals were exquisite--dishes ranging from pork loin, to filet mignon (if I recall correctly), to tomales. Taste uses the freshest ingredients, so eating was a slow, pleasurable delight. And the desserts are to die for--incredible chocolate expresso gelato & creme brulee. Don't miss out on Taste!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 Star... in Plymouth? Who knew??OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/23/2014Who knew...5 star cuisine, ambience and impeccable service...in Plymouth? Taste is THE focal point in this sleepy little Amador County foothills town!! This was a repeat visit by one veteran Taste customer introducing a newbie and the results were spectacular! Our Bay Area Niles Rotary Club will be back in November in force!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious as alwaysDMCgoDawgsDined on 8/23/2014We had a delicious dinner. I stuck with a classic in the mushroom cigars but tried the pork tenderloin for my entree. The tastes were all wonderful.Special Features:
- A little gemPMEdDined on 8/23/2014We had heard a lot about this place - mushroom cigars?! We found reservations are needed - glad we had them. Our server was Michael - very friendly and appropriately interacting and very knowledgeable about the menu and had a wonderful understanding in addressing our choices. We found the place a bit too noisy...but we find this is the case with upscale eateries in the broader area... Food was excellant and flavorfull with a presentation that rivals anything San Francisco's top dining establishments create. Take the time to enjoy this place I believe you'll be back.Special Features:
- A Jewel in the Sierra FoothillsTherineDined on 8/14/2014Taste stood out at first sight. A jewel in the midst of buildings erected during California's 1800's gold rush. Inside, it sparkled with sophistication. The food was fantastic - artistically presented, with tastes that played to all five senses. Fruits and vegetables were grown locally, and meats and poultry were served in traditional ways but with creative twists. The meal was served by a knowledge, warm and friendly crew who knew how to make you feel welcomed and special. Taste is a dining must for anyone visiting the Fairplay and El Dorado Hills Wineries.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday treatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014I've been here many times before, and it never fails to impress me, with the excellent food, great service and ambiance. The surprising thing is finding such a high class, down-to-earth restaurant in such a small Motherlode town like Plymouth. I took my fiance here for his birthday and his first visit, and we had a great time and excellent food and service, as usual. If you come here you must try the mushroom cigars...amazing! So was the lamb...excellent. Hard to find, though....look for the spoon on the door, and you'll still probably drive by it once or twice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Taste lives up to its reputationPhillyFoodLoverDined on 8/8/2014Imagine finding the best and most creative cooking in a town you could easily drive through in two minutes! Taste, in the little "Gold Country Wine Country" town of Plymouth, is that amazing find. We loved it so much we wangled a second night's reservation.Special Features:
- Always the best!mvsactoDined on 8/4/2014Dinner at Taste Monday night - anniversary celebration. Like always, wonderful and creative. Especially loved the Local Peach and Burratta Salad! Taste consistently delivers making it my favorite destination dining spot.Special Features:
- Phenomenal duck!jacquiDined on 8/3/2014and they presented me with a birthday CARD as well as a delicious custardSpecial Features:
- Food was excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/2/2014"Taste" as name implies was the focus. From the bread, to the small plates to the entrees the food was simple yet wonderfully tasteful. Items were prepared in manner that highlighted flavors and nothing was overcooked or underdone. Really enjoyed it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delectable, unique tastesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014The difficult thing was being able to decide what to order, as it was all so amazing. I will go back soon, to order all that I missed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a hidden gemTahoeBobDined on 8/2/2014We came upon this restaurant through an article in Wine Enthusiast. I immediately made a lunch reservation for the day we would be in the area. We were told it would be special. It was! A delightful interlude during our Shenandoah Valley wine tasting trip.Special Features:
- Great place for special occaions!CathyCDined on 8/1/2014We took 2 friends to Taste to thank them for sheltering our animals during the 4-day Sand Fire evacuation, while we were away on vacation. We called Taste in advance and requested that there be French champagne on ice when we arrived at our table. Their wine expert, Thomas, had recommended a bottle, and it was both wonderful and affordable. After greeting us at the table, our server Debbie promptly acknowledged our occasion, with a special nod to our friends. A very nice touch. The food was every bit as good as the service. The filet mignon was rare to perfection. The salmon and lamb were also incredible, as was the night's fish/seafood special. Our friends felt pampered and very much appreciated. Thank you so much, Restaurant Taste!Special Features:
- The best in California.KuhlDined on 7/31/2014Thank God we live close to this restaurant. We celebrate all of our special occasions. Kudos to Mark and Tracy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Special!!MopsieDined on 7/27/2014Taste is truly a very special experience! We discovered it about three years ago from "word of mouth," and have been pleasantly pleased every time we go. The food is phenomenal, and the service is the same as well. We live in the Sierra foothills and also have relatively close access to many restaurants in Sacramento. This pretty much beats anything around!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/25/2014We've been coming here for several years and are never disappointed. Two nights ago, while in town for the Amador County Fair, we took a break from corn dogs and half-racks, to have a real meal at Taste. Rarely do I get to experience such fine food preparation and such unique taste combinations. I love that the kitchen willingly splits our orders of the small taste plates so that we can both enjoy the bounty of this food. They will even split a glass of wine for two.Special Features:
- Out of the way but worth the trip.DaveWDined on 7/25/2014We have eaten here several times and we have never had a bad meal. Today was no exception. I had the Filet Mignon with blue cheese, my wife had the Brentwood Corn Tamales, my daughter had the Guinea Hen. All were cooked perfectly. Of course we couldn't resist the "Cigar" appetizer with Truffles. I also couldn't resist using the bread to mop up the sauce from the filet that was still on my plate. The crème brulet trio was good with our favorite being the vanilla bean and the lemon. My wife had the blueberry crumble which was a work of art. The Davis Pinot Noir with our meal was an excellent value wine with good fruit and body. We are still savoring this meal. It is well worth the drive to eat here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentJasonDined on 7/24/2014Consistently great food and service. A favorite that we return to -- again and againSpecial Features:
- SusieDined on 7/24/2014Taste was an exceptional dining experience. The wait staff were wonderful and the dishes we had were very creative and delicious. The presentation of the food was also something to note. I would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Day's end delightcateintracyDined on 7/20/2014Spent the afternoon tasting delicious wines in the Shenandoah valley, with dinner at Taste to cap the day. Seated immediately upon announcing our reservation. Thomas, our server, was exceptional. His description of each menu item was thorough and detailed, with each being described in a way that was mouth watering. The food was exactly as he had described. Each item was plated with care and artfully. Our choice to bring wine from Bella Grace was not a problem. Corkage of $15. The room was nicely appointed and subtle. The folks around us were gracious in keeping conversations low. Our time was well spent and the dinner was delicious. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always OutstandingSusanKDined on 7/20/2014We have always had an outstanding, awesome dining experience at Taste Restaurant. Whether for a special occasion, weekend lunch or the Thursday free-corkage night with our wine group, there is no better place than Taste. The food, ambiance and wait staff are beyond compare. For dining in the foothills . . . it's Taste for us!Special Features:
- Amazing Dining ExperienceLBS1Dined on 7/20/2014My husband and I had wanted to dine at Taste for quite some time and finally made it for lunch one Sunday. Truly this was one of the best dining experiences we have ever had. The food was superb (mushroom cigars, black pepper cheesecake, cod, lamb, crème brulee'). The owner was extremely helpful in selecting the appropriate wine for us and she was attentive to each of her diners. The service was excellent -timing of everything was spot on. We will come back again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A tasty treat!foodiefreekDined on 7/19/2014My wife and I along with another couple visited "THE TASTE" for the second time and found the service, food and atmosphere to be exactly the same as the first time...SUPERB! We enjoyed the mushroom cigars, green salad, asparagus soup, lamb chops, duck and salmon as it was all prepared perfectly. Michael our waiter was in rare form and went about his craft in a very professional manner. We did have to wait about thirty minutes for our table. While at the bar having a glass of wine we were served single portions of mushroom cigars as a comp, which was a nice touch and very much appreciated. The taste has provided me with an appreciation for lamb that I have never had before. The portions are sized adequately.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulLuvfoodDined on 7/19/2014I have been here 1/2 dozen times for dinner and have never been disappointed. I no longer live near here, but knew I was coming to visit friends so HAD to have dinner here. The service, presentation and quality of food were outstanding.Special Features:
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/18/2014Just a wonderful dining experience all around. Excellent for gluten-free! Incredible service and food! It's our new favorite restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I shouldn't be telling you thisTCZMDined on 7/13/2014Nestled in the quiet little town of Plymoth Ca. Taste produces some of the finest food you'll find anywhere in the world. Understated elegance in design, subtle attentive service, and a welcoming Wine Bar where the staffs knowledge of local wines ( you can sample flights of Sparkling, White,Rose and Red wines) will help make your dinning experience a night to remember. The Chef and his staff have the vision and finesse to create dishes that amuse and delight your eyes as well as your palate. The Menu changes on a weekly basis, depending on what local produce and proteins are at their peak. Don't take my word for this 4 Star restaurant, go to their website and check out this weeks Menu. The food is even better than words can describe!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/12/2014Our most recent visit to Taste was again a pleasure. The food was fantastic, and service outstanding with many spot on suggestions. We make a special trip to Plymouth just to eat at this fantastic dining spot. Go, you won't bed disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Country gemSilverplateVIPDined on 7/12/2014Taste continues to astound. The food is up there with the best in Northern California and the only place I know of in the Sierra Foothills/Gold Country area, which is a fabulous wine region, that challenges the best in Napa and Sonoma. Every course was superb and the server's wine recommendation was perfect. Because it was a Saturday night and the restaurant was full there were occasional long periods where we didn't see the server, but taking our time with this meal was worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Cuisine!!!bullrabbitDined on 7/12/2014This small restaurant has one of the best offerings of quality platings in the Sacramento area. The menu changes depending on local availability. The food presentation was fabulous, and the food more than lived up to it in taste!!! The prices are extremely good considering the food and service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/11/2014This was our second time here and once again it was amazing!! Very friendly and knowledgeable staff. Definitely worth it.Special Features:
- A gem - great food & serviceCRDiningDined on 7/11/2014Host is responsive to request posted at time of reservation. Warm greeting. Knowledgable wait staff. Friendly and enthusiastic about patron being satisfied. Food is wonderful - savory with pleasing presentation. Must return often. I owe it to myself!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy but expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/11/2014After hearing and reading all the great reviews for Taste, we went for our anniversary. It was a Friday night; reservations at 6 pm. The atmosphere was casual. The waiter was attentive without hovering. Food was well prepared and tasty. If you wanted to split a dish, it arrived at the table on separate plates - no messy division at the table = ). Good service and food didn't come cheap. For a shared appetizer, 2 dinners, 2 desserts, and a $15.00 corkage fee to open the wine we brought from home, our bill with tax and 20% tip came to just shy of $200.00. Definitely, a do over for a very special occasion.Special Features:
- Remains one of the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 7/10/2014Taste remains one of the best restaurants in California. Both the food and service are excellent. It is a great dining spot to end a day in the Amador/Fair Play wine country.Special Features: