Taste Restaurant - Plymouth
9402 Main Street
Plymouth, CA 95669Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
Taste Restaurant - Plymouth
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.restauranttaste.com/
- Phone: 2092453463
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Served: Monday, Thursday & Friday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Saturday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm and Sunday 4:30pm to 9:00pm. Lunch is available on Saturday and Sunday 11:30 to 2pm
Lunch Served: Saturday & Sunday: 11:30-2PM
CLOSED Thanksgiving Day,Christmas Day OPEN for New Years Eve Dinner
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Mark Berkner/James Ablett
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Taste can occasionally provide catering services outside of our restaurant. Special Events: Every Monday Taste offers a three-course Prix Fixe menu priced under $30 per person in addition to our regular dinner menu. The second Thursday of each month is corkage free night.
- Private Party Facilities: Taste is perfect for parties under 30 people. Each of our 2 dining rooms can accommodate just about 30 people. We regularly host Pharmaceutical dinners, private cooking classes for your gourmet group and wine society dinners. We gladly welcome private parties on Tuesday and Wednesday.
- Private Party Contact: Jeremy 2092453463
- Entertainment: Taste is a great place to enjoy an evening with friends and family. Our wine bar offers the full menu and a bar menu with great values without reservations. If you don't know when you'll be arriving we always have a space for you at the wine bar. The wine bar is great for a dessert date too! The main dining room adjacent to the wine bar looks out on the rolling green lawn and gazebo of the town park. Our secluded dining room known as the Tasting Room offers beautifully restored craftsman style wood paneling and built-in buffet. The Tasting room is perfect for those wanting to enjoy a quiet cozy dining experience.
- Special Events: Taste features a “Monday Supper”, a three-course prix fixe menu for $30 or less. The menu changes every week. The menu is posted at the Taste website on Sunday afternoon. The second Thursday of every month is Corkage Free Night
- Cross Street: Mineral
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Parking is available on Main street. The green zone 20 minute parking does not apply. Please use caution when exiting your car curbside as the sidewalks are higher than most cities. There is also a parking lot across the street from the restaurant at the park.
A word from Taste Restaurant - Plymouth
Taste, Amador County's highly acclaimed restaurant is located on Main St. in Plymouth. Taste features a seasonal menu, expansive beer selection and Wine Spectator Award winning wine list that represents the foothills and regions from around the globe. The dinner menu features our popular Mushroom Cigars, three types of mushrooms, goat cheese and herbs rolled in a buttery phyllo dough and baked until golden. Our melt in your mouth steaks and fresh seafood are accompanied by local produce. The house made desserts are seasonally driven and offer creative twists on classics. "The three blocks that put the "down" in downtown Plymouth are an improbable location for a restaurant with a loud foodie drumbeat. Taste is small and comforting, its food a cure for the blahs." Sacramento Magazine. “With its urbane atmosphere and first-rate service, …provides a polished food-and-wine experience that would be right at home in a big city.” Wine Spectator Zagat Rated Top Restaurants in America 2012Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Taste Restaurant - Plymouth - Best Restaurants in Plymouth ›
Taste Restaurant - Plymouth reviews from OpenTable diners
205 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (165)fit for foodies (161)notable wine list (114)romantic (85)neighborhood gem (80)great for lunch (50)good for groups (37)great for brunch (20)hot spot (16)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (2)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014But it gets pretty noisy. That is a definite put-off, but the food is wonderful!! AND even if you buy a bottle off their wine list you still have to pay $15 for the bottle you bring. Not enough local wines on the list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional ExperiencedjlopesDined on 9/15/2014Went to Taste restaurant for our 19th anniversary. From the moment we arrived, we were treated to exceptional service. The team working there seemed to genuinely care about our experience. Friendly, attentive, and knowledgeable staff. Our waiter, Jeremy, and his support team were magnificent. Then the food is served, and ... wow... it is incredibly flavorful, presented beautifully, and hearty enough. Can say enough about our evening at Taste!Special Features:
- Taste -- Something SpecialMichaelVDined on 9/13/2014We've been here four times now. The food is consistently amazing, the wine list is expansive, and the desserts are literally incredible. They use only fresh, local produce so the menu rotates with the season. The combinations of layered flavors and assorted textures usually leave me astounded and trying to educate my palate further by asking, "What was that ingredient / combination?" At ~$100/person and a ways off the beaten path, this probably isn't a place you're going to come to every week, but if you want the dining experience and better of one of the high-end big city restaurants in a surprising locale done in an "everybody knows your name" small-town style, it's completely worth it. Go, and bring your family and friends.Special Features:
- WHO KNEW?luv2dineoutDined on 9/13/2014Whether you're out for the day wine tasting in Amador County or just want to get "out of the city, out of suburbia", head to Plymouth for a meal to die for. Hidden in this unpretentious small town lies a gem of a restaurant. TASTE RESTAURANT has it all from presentation, quality, selection and creativity to its selection of desserts and wine list. Our small party of 3 couldn't resist a couple of appetizers including the Midday Mushroom Cigars as well as 3 different lunch entrees (New York steak, pork loin and Pacific cod), Creme Brulee Trio and wine, of course! Your palate will love you and so will anyone and everyone who's with you! TASTE is extraordinary. Hope to return soon!Special Features:
- Taste is so TastyItalyVIPDined on 9/12/2014We took an out-of-town guest to Taste and we all loved our entrees. My husband always goes for the rack of lamb - he says it is the best he has had. I had the guinea hen - beautifully prepared with seasonal blueberries. Our friend had the salmon which she said was very good. The service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Taste-yOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/12/2014We've made Taste our "anniversary destination" year after year - not saying its only a special occasion destination but definitely special! We've always been impressed and delighted with the menu, food and service quality, wine list and beer selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HarleyDined on 9/11/2014First time at Taste but definitely not our last. We really enjoyed the very creative and tasty menus. The high ratings are well deserved.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality diningwinechaserDined on 9/11/2014From most any of the small towns in Sierra Foothills it is a short drive and worth the effort. A small restaurant with potentially limited parking and bland décor springs to life with the food and wine offerings. Imagine CG d'A wines on tap. Beef short ribs were slightly smoky and fall-apart tender. Roasted pork was so perfectly done preparation could be called delicate. The mushroom cigars are good but more of a gimmick and bread and dessert were average. Well worth stopping for dinner. Usually reservations recommendedSpecial Features:
- Fantastic foodDuaynaDined on 9/8/2014This restaurant in an out of the way location was a real treat. It started out on somewhat of a negative note with the service but that was rapidly corrected. Our waiter apologized several times because he was late getting to us but made up for it. He waived the corkage fee on our second bottle of wine and gave us extra special attention including a second round of their homemade chocolates. The food and presentation was comparable to a five star San Francisco restaurant. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- Always good.gloray62Dined on 9/8/2014We've been there twice and the whole experience was great both times. On our most recent visit we had the Monday special prix fix 3 course dinner. It's a great value for under $30. 00 per person.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best dinner.2BerneseDined on 9/7/2014I have eaten at Taste a number of times. It is my favorite restaurant!! The food and service are always excellent! My husband likes it because of the innovative food parings. I like it because I am not an adventurous eater and can get something to my liking as well.Special Features:
- Special PlacewonderfuleveningDined on 9/7/2014We celebrated our 46th wedding anniversary at a very special place. While everything was wonderful the food was to die for. The flavors of the various plates - whether small or large plates was outstanding. Service was top notch as well.Special Features:
- So good it is hard to get a tableLocalFanDined on 9/6/2014Prior to visiting Sutter Creek, we found reviews of "Taste". Even though we tried to make a reservation a week ahead, we could only get a table at before 5:30 or after 8:30. Well now we know why it is so popular. This is a restaurant of about 20 tables and a small bar. When we arrived at 5pm the bar was already full and about half of the tables were seated. The wait staff is very friendly and outgoing. We started with an appetizer called a "Mushroom Cigar". This is mushrooms and herbs rolled in a light filo dough and served in a truffle sauce. Terrific. I had Duck Confit and my wife had the braised short ribs. We loved the food and the wine. Then came an excellent dessert and very good cup of coffee. We will return.Special Features:
- Night OutFood2goDined on 9/6/2014We all enjoyed our meal, service was very attentive. Short ribs wonderful. A little noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experienceGreatdayDined on 9/5/2014This was our second visit and it did not disappoint. The preparation and presentation for each course is not to be missed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HappyDinerDined on 9/4/2014Wonderful restaurant. Ask for vegetarian, vegan and gluten free menues. We will return. Hopefully frequently!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/31/20141 glass of wine 12.00, We live in the heart of wine country, The were out of items on the menu. 44.00 for lamb? The portions were small and not that good. I will never go again!
- Exceptional FoodExpectTheBestDined on 8/31/2014Our second time at Taste did not disappoint. The chef is very creative and served a duck like we have never had. We were hoping for a special dining experience and the meal was so uniquely created and wonderfully delicious that it truly exceeded our high expectations. The only negatives were that it is quite loud and it took about 30 minutes for the waiter, who was otherwise outstanding, to bring us the check. I highly recommend the trip to Plymouth for wine tasting and a meal at Taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All Great - Except the Guests?chiquitaDined on 8/31/2014Taste is super--keeps upping its ante, when you think it can't get better, it does. Six went celebrating a birthday. The single flaw was a rowdy group of twelve (over-the-top rudeness is everywhere today, from airlines to upper end restaurants); the chef/owner came out, surveyed the room and apologized to us, saying the party would leave soon (they did). From then on it was all food/sharing. A new/extended menu with surprising turns (imagine pound cake made with duck fat...go ahead...you're wrong--it's divine!), excellent preparation, attentive servers (we love Michael!), unbelievable wine list, and...no parking problems! I hate to say go to Taste because it will make reservations harder to get--but go,try, believe it.Special Features:
- Chance4meVIPDined on 8/31/2014The three of us were visiting the Amador Flower Farm and a winery in Plymouth and this is our favorite place for lunch. We started out with the signature appetizer, the mushroom cigaret, which was a tasty beginning. The steak sandwich with the egg on top was delicious. The tamale which was deconstructed, was a bit bland. The gnocci was well spiced and quite flavorful. We loved the chocolate gelato covered with expresso. An excellent way to end a meal. The server was pleasant and knowlegeable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointedMNutDined on 8/31/2014Wonderful food and excellent service. A good choice for a special occasion. Lovely presentation of food and a delicious birthday dessert afterwards (on the house).Special Features:
- deliciousLaurieDined on 8/30/2014We really enjoyed our dining at Taste. We heard a lot of good things about the restaurant and wanted to take some friends for their anniversary. The food was delicious, the service was very good, except that I spoke to the reservation desk about it being an anniversary dinner for our friends and we wanted a desert specially for them, the waiter was not clued in not this and I has to remind him which spoiled that idea. Other than that it was a good meal.Special Features:
- Expensive and too loudDrytownDined on 8/30/2014The restaurant was over priced and very loud.....I also did not like the 'weeds' called salad.Special Features:
- Great Food, Too PopularOmnivoreDined on 8/25/2014Got there 45 minutes ahead of our reservation to sit at the bar and peruse the menu. 15 minutes before our table was due, I notified the hostess that we were there. She told us they were really slammed and couldn't honor our reservation. I told her we had driven over 100 miles and stayed in a hotel just for this dinner. She said she was sorry, but we would have to wait in line. So we sat at the bar, ordered a bottle of wine, bread, and an appetizer. After a while a waitress came out, gave our bread to a couple who had just sat down and hadn't even looked at a menu yet. She then served our appetizer to them as well. Good food, but the service staff is not up to the task..And this was only a Monday night...pity the weekend crowd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience againlizarooDined on 8/25/2014The presentation of food excellent. Taste very good, ambiance goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had the best time . . .OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014celebrating my husband's 55th birthday at Taste. They went out of their way to accommodate our large group (nine), seating us at the back of the restaurant. Service was excellent, with the wait staff attentive to our needs. They never pressured us to hurry, so we were able to relax, confabulate, and laugh over the course of about three hours. The wine list showcased some of the best foothill wines. And best of all, the food! All of us thought the meals were exquisite--dishes ranging from pork loin, to filet mignon (if I recall correctly), to tomales. Taste uses the freshest ingredients, so eating was a slow, pleasurable delight. And the desserts are to die for--incredible chocolate expresso gelato & creme brulee. Don't miss out on Taste!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 Star... in Plymouth? Who knew??OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/23/2014Who knew...5 star cuisine, ambience and impeccable service...in Plymouth? Taste is THE focal point in this sleepy little Amador County foothills town!! This was a repeat visit by one veteran Taste customer introducing a newbie and the results were spectacular! Our Bay Area Niles Rotary Club will be back in November in force!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious as alwaysDMCgoDawgsDined on 8/23/2014We had a delicious dinner. I stuck with a classic in the mushroom cigars but tried the pork tenderloin for my entree. The tastes were all wonderful.Special Features:
- A little gemPMEdDined on 8/23/2014We had heard a lot about this place - mushroom cigars?! We found reservations are needed - glad we had them. Our server was Michael - very friendly and appropriately interacting and very knowledgeable about the menu and had a wonderful understanding in addressing our choices. We found the place a bit too noisy...but we find this is the case with upscale eateries in the broader area... Food was excellant and flavorfull with a presentation that rivals anything San Francisco's top dining establishments create. Take the time to enjoy this place I believe you'll be back.Special Features:
- A Jewel in the Sierra FoothillsTherineDined on 8/14/2014Taste stood out at first sight. A jewel in the midst of buildings erected during California's 1800's gold rush. Inside, it sparkled with sophistication. The food was fantastic - artistically presented, with tastes that played to all five senses. Fruits and vegetables were grown locally, and meats and poultry were served in traditional ways but with creative twists. The meal was served by a knowledge, warm and friendly crew who knew how to make you feel welcomed and special. Taste is a dining must for anyone visiting the Fairplay and El Dorado Hills Wineries.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday treatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014I've been here many times before, and it never fails to impress me, with the excellent food, great service and ambiance. The surprising thing is finding such a high class, down-to-earth restaurant in such a small Motherlode town like Plymouth. I took my fiance here for his birthday and his first visit, and we had a great time and excellent food and service, as usual. If you come here you must try the mushroom cigars...amazing! So was the lamb...excellent. Hard to find, though....look for the spoon on the door, and you'll still probably drive by it once or twice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Taste lives up to its reputationPhillyFoodLoverDined on 8/8/2014Imagine finding the best and most creative cooking in a town you could easily drive through in two minutes! Taste, in the little "Gold Country Wine Country" town of Plymouth, is that amazing find. We loved it so much we wangled a second night's reservation.Special Features:
- Always the best!mvsactoDined on 8/4/2014Dinner at Taste Monday night - anniversary celebration. Like always, wonderful and creative. Especially loved the Local Peach and Burratta Salad! Taste consistently delivers making it my favorite destination dining spot.Special Features:
- Phenomenal duck!jacquiDined on 8/3/2014and they presented me with a birthday CARD as well as a delicious custardSpecial Features:
- Food was excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/2/2014"Taste" as name implies was the focus. From the bread, to the small plates to the entrees the food was simple yet wonderfully tasteful. Items were prepared in manner that highlighted flavors and nothing was overcooked or underdone. Really enjoyed it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delectable, unique tastesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014The difficult thing was being able to decide what to order, as it was all so amazing. I will go back soon, to order all that I missed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a hidden gemTahoeBobDined on 8/2/2014We came upon this restaurant through an article in Wine Enthusiast. I immediately made a lunch reservation for the day we would be in the area. We were told it would be special. It was! A delightful interlude during our Shenandoah Valley wine tasting trip.Special Features:
- Great place for special occaions!CathyCDined on 8/1/2014We took 2 friends to Taste to thank them for sheltering our animals during the 4-day Sand Fire evacuation, while we were away on vacation. We called Taste in advance and requested that there be French champagne on ice when we arrived at our table. Their wine expert, Thomas, had recommended a bottle, and it was both wonderful and affordable. After greeting us at the table, our server Debbie promptly acknowledged our occasion, with a special nod to our friends. A very nice touch. The food was every bit as good as the service. The filet mignon was rare to perfection. The salmon and lamb were also incredible, as was the night's fish/seafood special. Our friends felt pampered and very much appreciated. Thank you so much, Restaurant Taste!Special Features:
- The best in California.KuhlDined on 7/31/2014Thank God we live close to this restaurant. We celebrate all of our special occasions. Kudos to Mark and Tracy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Special!!MopsieDined on 7/27/2014Taste is truly a very special experience! We discovered it about three years ago from "word of mouth," and have been pleasantly pleased every time we go. The food is phenomenal, and the service is the same as well. We live in the Sierra foothills and also have relatively close access to many restaurants in Sacramento. This pretty much beats anything around!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.