Taste Restaurant & Wine Bar
1413 Third Avenue
New York, NY 10028Neighborhood:
Upper East Side
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
Taste Restaurant & Wine Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.elizabar.com/
- Phone: 2127179798
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 8:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Daily: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Mediterranean
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Taste Restaurant & Wine Bar
TASTE Restaurant and Wine Bar reflects Eli Zabar's passion for flavor-driven New American menus. Inspired by the finest and freshest produce, seafood, and meat available; Eli serves spontaneous flavorful food, not fussy, just straightforward and delicious. Local purveyors are favored as well as Eli's own rooftop greenhouse, which produces heirloom tomatoes, salad greens, fresh herbs, figs and strawberries. A tightly edited wine list with a focus on Burgundy and the Cote de Rhone enhances the menu and wine pairing is a defining theme on the small plate menu offered at the bar.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Taste Restaurant & Wine Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
7 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (5)notable wine list (3)fit for foodies (3)Show More
- Another Excellent Dinner at TasteIrishfe53VIPDined on 6/5/2014Despite my former colleague's being an hour late because of a work emergency, we enjoyed a fine dinner with thoughtful service. The waiter understood that ours would be a slow but happy dinner. He was considerate, helpful and patient. The doors were open to a lovely late spring evening. I liked the sardine and soft shell crab appetizers. My friend devoured her pasta. She took home a slice of lemon meringue cake. Taste is like its parent Eli's. Both offer consistent high quality food with responsive service. NYers appreciate both the food stores and the restaurants.Special Features:
- Ho-HumkabongVIPDined on 5/7/2014Them only thing to justify the high prices here is the quiet space where you can hear one another without straining. The service is attentive and professional. The food is competent and if that is enough, go for it. It just does not feel generous.
- Quiet and comfortableEllenDined on 5/6/2014Food always fresh and interesting. Service excellent. Usually quiet. All good!Special Features:
- The following 49 reviews are from the Taste Restaurant & Wine Bar reviews archive.
- great wineMadaveyDined on 3/8/2014The food was delicious but the wine was spectacular! They have the benefit of being connected to their wine shop and they have a limited but well chosen wine list. The prices were reasonable and we were not disappointed with the choices. Additionally the service was very attentive and took very good care of us. It is a small place, maybe 120 seats and that lends to a very quiet and relaxed experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding serrviceJoanVIPDined on 3/3/2014Exemplary wait staff--what all restaurants should emulate. Overall, food very well prepared, if somewhat pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always comfortable and foodChazVIPDined on 2/26/2014Always comfortable and food top notch. Not inexpensive. In the midst of renovation. For now, seating reduced and near bar area.Special Features:
- surprisingly good for NYC Rest wkjmwc42VIPDined on 2/26/2014Saw iffy re view in NYT, went anyway, dining room was little threadbare but seated right away enjoyed the suggestion of wine/drink pairings! had terrific brisket, colleague completely finished fish and salad, warm welcome and service. a find.. accessible for this wheelchair using foodie (showed us the access route, though not advertised as accessible!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh, flavorful food!nycfoodloverVIPDined on 2/24/2014Went for restaurant week and really enjoyed. Chose an appetizer off the regular menu - the zucchini fritti; which was awesome. Bread was warm+delicious. Wine was great. It was pretty empty when we went, which was surprising. I think people don't really know Taste is there. I've probably passed it 1,000 times and always thought it was part of Eli's. Anyway, the chicken, sea bass and brisket were all REALLY good (we all share)-cooked the right way, for the right amount of time, w/ the right flavors. YUM. Service was ok. Expected a little more attentiveness due to the emptiness, but maybe it was thought that we just wanted to have a girls' night to ourselves. Dessert was just ok, cappuccino was bitter, but all-in-all, great meal. I'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- QUIETNosoyformeDined on 1/25/2014You don't find many quiet restaurants on a Saturday night in Manhattan. The restaurant was nearly empty when we arrived at 7:00 which was great because one in our party was 90 years old and hard of hearing. It was filling up as we left so if you have an elderly friend to take out to dinner, try Taste in the early evening. The food was great ,as was the service. The portions were not oversize so no food to take home which, if you are visiting Manhattan and staying in a hotel, this is a plus.I would recommend this to a friend.
- An absolute pleasuredoctor1VIPDined on 12/27/2013This was the second time we ate at Taste and we thoroughly enjoyed our dinner both visits. Drinks before dinner were well mixed. The oysters were lovely and the steak is probably the best I have ever eaten. Staff actually remembered us from our prior dinner. Service was attentive but not intrusive. They grow their own greens and everything is high quality. We will definitely be backSpecial Features:
- Unusual wines---at a price.ChazVIPDined on 12/23/2013While menu changes infrequently, wines are varied with odd bottles from the wine shop next door popping up. Had a pricey Santorini white---superb---highly recommended. Food always good and bread outstanding. If you've got the dough it's great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- quite excellentnettunoVIPDined on 11/23/2013We had a very nice dinner at Taste. Our reservation was on the later side and the restaurant was very quiet. We had a wonderful table in the corner. The wine list wasn't specifically large, but very well put together with quite a broad range of options and well priced I think. The service was perfect UES service: professional, polite, well informed, but also very unobtrusive. Meal was excellent and the lemon meringue cake was the perfect way to end a well balanced meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OKkabongVIPDined on 11/4/2013Is it OK for arestaurant to be OK? Yes, but at these prices it should feel more "generous". But it is OK.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place. Super food,CookieDined on 10/17/2013Love this place. Super food, lovely service, seems easy to get into and nicely quiet. Has become a regulatorSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Taste againkabongVIPDined on 10/16/2013Returning to Taste after a long time and hoping to find something different it was disappointing to say the least. I am not exactly sure why dining there is so unsatisfying but it may just be that at the very high prices you expect something more. Taste does not feel generous. The service is fine. The noise level perfect for quiet dining.
- Keeps getting better. AndChazVIPDined on 9/30/2013Keeps getting better. And the wine selection has been expanded with some very interesting choices. Very highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding! Fresh ingredientsOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/6/2013Outstanding! Fresh ingredients inventively prepared. Great wines. Knowledgeable, friendly and non-pretentious staff. ConsistentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Renovated room handsome. AChazVIPDined on 8/21/2013Renovated room handsome. A lot of space between tables. New menu items---charcuterie plate ---- excellent. Expensive but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great appetizing as one wouldOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/18/2013Great appetizing as one would expect from Zabars. The French toast was superb too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy to discover TasteOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 7/15/2013I live in the neighborhood, and did not realize there was a restaurant at Eli's. A friend took me here, and I was so pleasanty surprised. The food is terrific, comes from Eli's stores, and he service (Dorothy) is wonderful. I now plan to go on a regular basis. I do know they will be doing some renovation to make the restaurant more prominent, and to make the bar more lively. The dining will be the same, though on just one side of the restaurant.Special Features:
- Excellent.BouludDined on 5/5/2013Excellent service and excellent food with fresh seasonal ingredients.. I can't wait to try it again and see how they change up the seasonal menu.Special Features:
- Dinner time the space transformsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/31/2013Dinner time the space transforms into my favorite resturant. Never a bad meal hwreSpecial Features:
- The best UES localOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/18/2013Excellent neighborhood restaurant, exemplary food without a chichi edge. Well put together wine list which has accompaniments for all choices of food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Although the wine and theOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 3/3/2013Although the wine and the liver were very nice. My chicken was dry. There were no green vegetable to order. The waiter was clueless and seemed to be on a automatic. He had ordered a bottle of wine that was on our table and he went into offering their special wine. Okay not a problem....However, it kept happing with the whole meal. The whole staff was staring at us at 9:45 to leave. It is not a place i will return.
- not really a wine bar. moreOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/2/2013not really a wine bar. more of a stodgy atmosphere than I expected. the food was all too rich and old fashioned.
- We were there for brunch andOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/24/2013We were there for brunch and other than the smoked fish plate (terrific!), the food was good (but standard) breakfast fare. The fish taco was disappointing-- there really should be two tortillas for that price! Also they should give you a bagel with the fish plate. Overall a decent experience though.
- Quiet restarant with goodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/23/2013Quiet restarant with good food and great service. Quiet enough to carry on a conversation at dinner. Great wine list with professional service and very nicely priced wines. Would go back again.Special Features:
- Great restaurant! C'est trèsOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/31/2013Great restaurant! C'est très magnifique! Highly recommended ! A total gem in the upper east side !Special Features:
- Prices are very high for whatOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 1/20/2013Prices are very high for what it is - we ordered dessert to go - pieces of their known Lemon Meringue Cake @ $10 per slice ... We received small pieces of cake which were hardly worth $5. Much less $10. We truly felt as if we had been cheated. Bread is exceptionally tasty at Taste.
- We will return!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/22/2012Went there for first time, I was given a gift certificate from friend. We will definitely return, go Eli Zabar.Special Features:
- I liked my meal. I had adancingheartDined on 9/19/2012I liked my meal. I had a delicious roasted fig, butter lettuce, blue cheese salad perfectly dressed. My entree was the seared diver scallops in a tomato sauce. very tasty. I would go back! The waiter was very attentive.Special Features:
- A long term favorite---rarelyChazVIPDined on 9/5/2012A long term favorite---rarely disappoints. Expensive but worth it.Special Features:
- COpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/9/2012Excellent food. Best ingredients always absolutely deliciosSpecial Features:
- Taste is a rare restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/6/2012Taste is a rare restaurant in NYC in that the food is great, service perfect, and setting really comfortable. Noise is low and you can always get in. Prices might put some people off but for the quality of food and experience you can do much worse. The clientele is a little on the older side but everyone is attractive and well-dressed. I hope they keep going forever!Special Features:
- Quiet and TastyChazVIPDined on 8/6/2012We missed our favorite waitress, Dorothy, who has been out for a while, but always appreciate being in a restaurant in which we can talk! and hear each other! Restaurant week menu was a good deal with interesting selections. Salads, using Eli's garden on the roof, are always unusually delicious. I almost always have the chicken -- my favorite dish. Thank you.Special Features:
- Fine for restaurant week butlesleeDined on 7/26/2012Fine for restaurant week but seems very expensive a la carte.
- MehOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/24/2012I met my daughter at Taste for an early dinner. It was restaurant week and we ordered off the special menu, beginning with a cocktail and finishing with coffee. It was fine, not terribly busy, with mostly elderly, neighborhood regulars strolling in with comfort and familiarity. To tell you the truth we felt rushed, and were not too clear about why. The waiter was asked to compare compare the fish dish to the vegetarian. He hugely prefered the vegetarian so I ordered it and found it to be remarkably mediocre. When I saw the fish dish floating by on a tray, it looked outstanding and was clearing relished by the one who ordered it. Maybe the waiter was a vegetarian, but I think he was just coached to push the cheaper dish when asked.Special Features:
- I enjoyed a really good dinnersdg13Dined on 7/18/2012I enjoyed a really good dinner here during restaurant week with my son. We both ordered off of the special menu prepared for the event which had limited but good variety. Service was attentive and professional. Bread was delicious. Not sure if I would return for the full price menu as it was very high bad glad I got to try this special restaurant.Special Features:
- The food was good; clearlyCasaLVIPDined on 6/23/2012The food was good; clearly they use excellent ingredients, but too much butter and salt; one dish just swimming in butter. We loved the wine list and the sommelier; so we might try it again, and just ask for less salt and butter, and see what happens.Special Features:
- Excellent and interestingChazVIPDined on 5/15/2012Excellent and interesting meal and wine list. Service charming and helpful.Special Features: