22 Union St
Newton Center, MA 02459Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://tartuforestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6172448833x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 3:30pm; Dinner: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Sunday: 4:00pm - 9.00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room
A word from Tartufo Restaurant
Tartufo Restaurant is an award-winning Italian restaurant featuring authentic, unique, Abruzzese cuisine conveniently located in Newton Centre, MA. We specialize in chef-prepared Italian dishes-homemade to order-with all natural ingredients.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Tartufo Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Newton ›
Tartufo Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
82 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (52)special occasion (32)fit for foodies (29)romantic (19)notable wine list (18)good for groups (13)hot spot (8)great for lunch (8)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (5)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Dinner at Tartufo😊ShoshyDined on 9/12/2014We had an excellent dinner experience. Warm hospitality, pleasant and warm atmosphere and excellent food and service. Not too expensive. Overall we had a great time in this restaurant. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant, expensive, Italian dinner,OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/7/2014Of the 7 diners at our table, 4 would rate their meals as excellent, 1 was good, and 2 rated their dinners as average at best. The bartender did not prepare the drinks as specified, and the waiter had to be reminded 3 times for a diet soda order. The tiramisu was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumMeeYumMeeDined on 9/5/2014We've eaten here before and have had better food/service. We came at 830 P on Saturday night.One dish was great, lobster ravioli. For an appetizer we split that and the amount and taste were excellent. Our entrees were not what we expected. The veal piccata which I ordered should have been more tender. I did not want the potato and requested another vegetable. Although the waiter said I could have spinach, he forgot it. Later, when we asked about it, he apologized and got some. My companion's dish was grilled seafood in extra virgin olive oil. It came mainly with calamari. Think it would have been better with few more shrimp and scallops and a few less calamari. This was either an off night or a trend.I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectOnlyTheBestDined on 9/3/2014Tartufo is our go-to choice when we visit family in the Newton area, so we've dined there many times. The food is consistently good, but this last time it was outstanding! The staff was attentive without smothering us, there was just the right amount of humor and sophistication , and they were knowledgable. Over all, an authentic Italian dining experience. If you can't manage a quick dinner trip to Italy, go to Tartufo instead - you will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic evening outIcarewhereishopDined on 8/31/2014Lovely ambience, charming waiter and host, delicious captures salad/lamb sausage and bread!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingKittyVIPDined on 8/29/2014Ate here on mother's day and it was terrific. This time we were seated upstairs near a very loud group with 2 babies that had no concern for anyone around them. Took very long time for our dinner to be served, and then they forgot to bring side dish we ordered. Waiter was nearby chatting with other diners and we had to get his attention about side dish which we received after our entree was finished, and then again when we needed the check. Very surprised that the side dish was not removed from our check as a courtesy or even a free glass of wine offered.
- Great place100PJVIPDined on 8/26/2014This Newton Center restaurant is fabulous. We sat at the bar for dinner and the food and service were top shelf.
- Overprice and mediocreOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/23/2014Sorry but this is just an expensive version of an Olive Garden.
- Neighborhood GemScottVIPDined on 8/23/2014Tartufo is superb - a food-equivalent of North End Italian restaurants. The service is top-notch - old-world attention to detail. The only downside is the noise. Try to sit by the windows and it is less problematic. Definitely one of our go-to restaurants when we want superb Italian food.Special Features:
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014We went there to celebrate a graduation, so we were there before the dinner crowd and ordered off the lunch menu. The food was wonderful, portion sizes decent. Service was attentive but not hovering. We had the place to ourselves so the noise wasn't a problem for us.Special Features:
- Mediocre Food, Slow ServiceCHARLIEDined on 8/22/2014Nice setting, but slow service and food is average at best. We waited 45 minutes before our apps even arrived. Bruschetta was served on hard cracker like slices of bread, and was ice cold, like the whole plate came right out of the fridge. Eggplant rollatini was OK, but was bland and needed a heavy dose of salt. Lobster ravioli and gnocchi entrees came about 30 minutes after we finished our appetizer (at this point the restaurant was empty) and were similarly disappointing, with little flavor. The lobster ravioli had little actual lobster and was mostly filled with what appeared to be canned crab meat. The best part of the meal was the wine and bread basket. For $130 dollars I wish we had gone somewhere else!
- KeriDined on 8/22/2014Unfortunately I was disappointed. Kitchen was backed-up, had minimal attention from the waiter, waited 10-15 minutes for our drinks, and when I got my food, my meal was literally 2 pieces of chicken with no pasta or anything. It was $21 and I wish our waiter let us know. I would've ordered a side of pasta but didn't want to wait another hour for it to come out. It was also too loud in there, where I couldn't hear the other people at the table speaking. Definitely not my best dining experience.Special Features:
- We always love it at Tartufos.SNOOKIEVIPDined on 8/22/2014Great food, great service. Cannot beat it. Best in Newton!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A long term relationshipJefffromBostonDined on 8/17/2014Service has been consistently good over the years as has the food. Now a special place for our family. Downstairs much better ambiance than upstairs, but can hold larger parties better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/17/2014As others have noted, the food is outstanding, and the atmosphere and service are excellent. I agree, though, that the prices are rather high for a restaurant of this sort. Otherwise, no complaints. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/16/2014we thoroughly enjoyed our dinner, everyone finished their meal. the food was very good, we were squished near a column and it was difficult to get out without bumping into the table next to us but that was the only problem. we will go again just not at that table....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For great food & better service...NewtonfoodieDined on 8/8/2014I have been to Tartufo several times and it never fails to deliver. The food is outstanding! The servers are attentive (our water and wine glasses were never empty) and so focused on the customers. It is wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing menu, good foodjimsDined on 7/31/2014Tartufo is a wonderful neighborhood restaurant with an outstanding menu. This was our second visit and everyone at our table labored to decide how many courses and what to try. By the time we got through the salads, appetizers and pastas, we didn't have room for an entree, but of course there's always room for a dessert to share. The food is wonderful, although not very nuanced. The beef carpaccio and a lobster salad were a bit overpowered with lemon. The risotto had a strong lobster sauce flavor - it was good, but also lacked subtlety. These are small points - overall the cuisine at Tartufo is excellent and we will continue to visit when in the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ask for prices on specialsKitKatDined on 7/27/2014When our server presented us with the daily specials he did not disclose prices. I know that we could have asked, but didn't. So we had a very unpleasant surprise when the check arrived; the specials were almost double the regular menu prices AND the special wasn't exceptionally good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/26/2014Food and service were excellent. I would highly recommend this restaurant. There were 4 of us and we have Chicken and Fish and food was hot and very tasty. Restaurant is a little noisy but worth eating there.Special Features:
- Wonderful evening with my wifeWestRoxersDined on 7/26/2014Easy reservation made. We sat in a perfect quiet corner of restaurant. Salads were delicious and not too large. Chicken parmesean was cooked to perfection. Not too heavy on sauce or amount of pasta. My wife had seafood risotto which is her favorite dish. Dessert was delicious and easily shared between both of us. It was a perfect end to our Saturday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful!CoachBrezVIPDined on 7/23/2014Just one of those nights when everything went right! Having been there recently with work colleagues for a work-related dinner, I re-experienced Tartufo having not been there in what must have been more than 8 years. I liked what I saw and my wife and I returned last evening. It was a great experience from beginning to end. Fantastic and well-prepared food, exceptional and attentive service, and a lovely and relaxing environment. It is slightly formal with linen tablecloths, yet relaxed and totally unpretentious. We could not have enjoyed it more and cannot wait to return.Special Features:
- Outstanding experienceGailVIPDined on 7/16/2014Love this restaurant - perfect everything! A regular on my list!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mixed dining experiencefoodiesusieqDined on 7/9/2014Of our two entrees, one was excellent and one mediocre. The angel hair, sausage and rapini was wonderful. The $36 daily, seafood special was bland tasting and nondescript. The service was very good, but our table was in a cramped, closed area. The server had to level the table to keep it from rocking.
- Great food, nice atmosphereglobetrotterDined on 6/28/2014We enjoyed a dinner out on a Saturday night with another couple. The waiter recommended a nice wine by the glass, which I liked a lot. Appetizers were easy to share. I enjoyed the grilled seafood plate. The scallops and shrimp were excellent, though the calamari was a little dry. Others in our party had pasta dishes and veal parmesan and were very satisfied. We shared two delicious desserts, including tiramisu. I had asked for a quiet table so that we could converse, and this worked out well. We were able to get reservation only a couple days in advance. We'll be back.Special Features:
- neighborhood gemRevDineGDined on 6/27/2014I grew up in Newton, but have since moved away. I was pleasantly surprised to discover Tartufo when I looked to make reservations for dinner with an old high school friend. The food was lovely, especially the caesar salad. The caesar salad was dressed especially fine. Neither of us can eat tomatoes and we were pleasantly surprised to find several dining entrees to choose from without tomatoes.Special Features:
- Dinner at the barDonGoyo13Dined on 6/20/2014Had dinner at the bar with my wife. Service was good but thought the food was just average. Will go back as our other meals have been great. Hopefully it was an off night for the chef.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice but noisyMissartsycraftsyVIPDined on 6/14/2014Service a bit off at the beginning but picked up. We wanted to catch up with old friends but it was too noisy to engage in a good conversation until the place started emptying out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale in Newton DowntowngcaimaresDined on 6/9/2014Great local hotel with upscale atmosphere. Located in downtown Newton with ample parking all around. Good for lunch. However, a bit on the expensive side. The food was good for a small local hotel. I had the fish, which still had a bit of an egg taste, as it was fried and grilled calamari, which was quiet chewy. Overall, I would say the food is wonderful, just overpriced for a local restaurant. I have been to restaurants at the same level as this in major cities and have paid almost half the cost. My favorite part was the service. This service was excellent. I would definitely return if I am in the neighborhood again.Special Features:
- LellyDined on 6/7/2014My husband and I loved this Restuarant. I will give it 5 stars!! The food is outstanding, the service was fabulous. We will recommend this to anyone and everyone traveling to the newton area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful foodfun2eatDined on 6/7/2014for the second year in a row, I chose Tartufo for my Birthday celebration with 3 close friends...I was not disappointed.. at first when I found that we were seated upstairs, I was not sure I would like it but it turned out to be better than the lower level...better light and better a/c....I have eaten lunch there and had other dinners and the food is consistent..I especially enjoy the pasta but the appetizers are imaginative and all the portions are good size w/o being too large..Special Features:
- blkdesignDined on 6/6/2014had early reservations, i ordered the lasagna tasted like it came from the micro-wave, my friend had the lobster ravioli which she liked i thought the service to be just ok we felt uncomfortable at this restaurant, i don't think we'll be back
- greatest birthday ever!FrancVIPDined on 6/5/2014Excellent dinner event for a family birthday. All entrees, appetizers and desserts were great. Definitely a return visit in our future!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodMugsy119Dined on 6/3/2014The food was great and the service was also. The only issue is the air conditioning was not on and it was a humid night. It was difficult to enjoy to the fullest when we all felt so uncomfortable with the humidity inside the restaurant. We would definitely try again but will call ahead to make sure the air conditioning is turned on.Special Features:
- Too noisy!Mrg14Dined on 5/25/2014So loud it was intolerable. Decibel level recorded on our app showed levels that cause hearing damage. Party of 12 in the middle of the restaurant was the main problem, though hard wood floors, no padding anywhere contributed. Food was a B+.
- Delicious food!OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 5/24/2014The food is wonderful! Our waiter was not very attentive. We sat for an hour before he took our order. Maybe he was just very busy that night? We will be back because the food was so good. But the experience could be me better with more attentive service.Special Features:
- The following 93 reviews are from the Tartufo Restaurant reviews archive.
- Great Italian RestaurantrsmrostovDined on 5/13/2014Perfect service, delicious food, no need to drive to Boston. Very pricy, but worth it! Been there a few times already, always happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantArmandDined on 5/11/2014Great restaurant, friendly and professional service and great food.Special Features:
- Authentic Italian!luv2dineVIPDined on 5/10/2014Tartufo has it all -- authentic Italian food, a nice wine list and knowledgeable and professional staff. I had the same two items as a previous visit -- the tuna and avocado tartare and eggplant rolletini appetizers, which were fabulous. I judge Italian restaurants by their tomato sauce and Tartufo's is fresh, sweet and fragrant. The other dishes our party had were excellent -- the haddock special with lemon and artichoke sauce and Tartufo carbonara were beautifully prepared and delicious. And dessert at Tartufo does not disappoint! The classic Tiramisu was delicious but the lemon sorbet served in the rind was outstanding and beautiful. Our Back Bay neighborhood has great restaurants, but Tartufo is worth the drive to Newton Center.Special Features:
- Great Italian Restaurant!VanessaDined on 5/7/2014First time dining at this restaurant. The food is authentic and was so delicious. Everyone in our party was very pleased with what they got. The service was great, our waiter was friendly, funny and attentive. It is a little pricey but it is still worth it. Will definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.