22 Union St
Newton Center, MA 02459Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://tartuforestaurant.com/
- Phone: (617) 244-8833
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 3:30pm; Dinner: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Sunday: 4:00pm - 9.00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room
A word from Tartufo Restaurant
Tartufo Restaurant is an award-winning Italian restaurant featuring authentic, unique, Abruzzese cuisine conveniently located in Newton Centre, MA. We specialize in chef-prepared Italian dishes-homemade to order-with all natural ingredients.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Tartufo Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
121 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (77)fit for foodies (55)special occasion (39)romantic (26)notable wine list (25)good for groups (25)hot spot (13)great for lunch (10)vibrant bar scene (7)kid-friendly (6)late-night find (5)great for brunch (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- Good choice/qualityKriekDined on 4/26/2014Consistently good food/choice & service, friendly bartender. Nice bar area, quieter than the main seating area/restaurant.Special Features:
- Nothing SpecialJimGDined on 4/26/2014We met another couple for dinner here, based on its location midway between our homes and good online reviews. I found nothing to recommend it. The food was OK-to-good; it would have been fine at diner prices, which these were not. The staff was simply not polished - not unpleasant, but perfunctory and seemed harried at times. They probably were harried - it's a small restaurant, and it was packed - and very noisy. I was glad to get out of there when our meal ended; will not return. My opinion may not be widely shared, as it seems popular, but that was my experience.
- TartufoGedalia55Dined on 4/25/2014A little pricey but food was great. My biggest complaint is that our guest saw chicken parmagiana on the menu along with 3 veal dishes and asked for veal parmagiana as a substitute and was denied. What's with that? Nothing is freshly prepared? Very disconcerting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time ThereMarkittDined on 4/21/2014Tartufo has been a staple of Newton Center's dining scene for a while but we never really thought of it as a must-try place. We finally broke down after seeing that our favorite Appetito had moved on to the great restaurant resting place in the sky. Well, we were pleasantly surprised. The wines by the glass list was creative and the bottle list included some decent half-bottle format wines as well. This is a big plus especially when dining on a work night. The menu was well balanced between fish, meat, poultry and pasta. We had a lobster dish and a ravioli dish and they were both terrific. The desserts were even better! We'll be making Tartufo one of our regular haunts whenever we're in the Newton Center area for dining.Special Features:
- very disappointingeater123VIPDined on 4/17/2014Extremely average food and inattentive service. unfortunately this restaurant does not do justice to its great location in newton center.
- Delicious Food but Average ServiceFigburreraVIPDined on 4/6/2014The food was delicious and the prices comparable. It's a nice restaurant to take guests. However, the service staff was not the most cheerful. Even though they knew it was my daughter's birthday, they didn't wish her a happy birthday.Special Features:
- Fab food - too loudNanceVIPDined on 4/5/2014Loved everything except the noise level. Food was exceptional and our waiter Antonio was great. Luckily we got there on the later side and when people started leaving, the noise level became bearable. The food was superb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always deliciousSerena517VIPDined on 4/5/2014Terrific food, great service, just overall nice people, a pleasure to dine there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliably goodTrauteDined on 3/31/2014Tartufo is that rare combination, an Italian restaurant that keeps innovating and creating new versions or variations on the old stand-bys. We are lucky to have it in our neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- just okayfamilycelebrationDined on 3/28/2014Went to celebrate a birthday. Noise level high, service great, my dinner was bland (primavara), but others ordered gnocchi and they said it was good.
- sat next to a large group ....daniDined on 3/28/2014which made the evening extremely loud. Coupled with the smallish upstairs space and the noise levels, our heads were pounding by the end of the evening. That is too bad given the good food and outstanding and professional service.Special Features:
- FairVIPDined on 3/25/2014We were looking for a close by restaurant to celebrate our anniversary. We ended up at Tartufo - the food and service was excellent! I was definitely pleasantly surprised. The only thing that bothered me was our table was by the windows and it was very cold. Otherwise it was very cozy and a great experience.Special Features:
- great italian food and staff!silvieDined on 3/23/2014we loved the Italian feel of this place and the food!! only criticism was the table clearing staff banged the dishes as they cleared. Food was excellent!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a good dependable choicepaulDined on 3/19/2014Not stellar, but solid and dependable food. pleasant atmosphere, reasonably good service - a good place to have dinner with friends in the neighborhood, but not the place to really impress an out of towner.Special Features:
- The resteraant was just fair.RonneartVIPDined on 3/16/2014The resteraant was just fair. Some dishes better than others.Special Features:
- greatOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 3/15/2014Always an easy place to eat,They try real hard to make everything a wonderful experience .Special Features:
- pickypickyVIPDined on 3/15/2014we had to wait nearly 1/2 hour for our table and we had a reservation. Then we were there over an hour before our food came out. The waiter was very nice in explaining the they were busy and the kitchen was behind. While I greatly appreciate the explanation and he handled it very nicely, it is still unreasonable. A restaurant need good food which this has, but it is a business and they need to figure out better how to take reservations.Special Features:
- Awful!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/14/2014We've gone to Tartufo a fee times, this time was really disappointing. Our order was wrong and when they sent it back they did not te did the plate they just used the same ingredients from the first messed up plate and a result we had spaghetti with jalapeños and overcooked, dry seafood. Very disappointing for a $35 plate.
- Excellent Find!BarbDined on 3/10/2014Really enjoyed the evening! Great staff; very attentive but they didn't hover. Food was very good and the setting was comfortable and relaxing. An extra bonus for my friends and me is that its right in Newton Center, walking distance for us. I highly recommend it.Special Features:
- A neighborhood gemBobTDined on 3/9/2014Tartufo is a small local restaurant with first rate food, well-presented in a charming, tastefully designed space.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findSunnyDined on 3/8/2014The food was delicious, the service very good and we were able to have a very nice, long dinner without feeling pressured. It was a bit pricey, but high quality foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top-notch Food and ServicelifeisacabaretDined on 3/7/2014Food was delicious and the staff were extremely friendly and accommodating. Thoroughly enjoyed our calamari appetizer and my risotto was perfection. Easy to find and parking was a cinch-overall a great spot with excellent food and very reasonable prices :)Special Features:
- Best Italian food outside of Italy!luv2dineVIPDined on 3/7/2014Boston certainly has more than it's share of excellent Italian restaurants. So when my husband and I decided to leave the Back Bay to see a movie in Newton and try out Tartufo, we were stunned at the fabulous food at this lovely restaurant. Every dish was prepared with lots of care and reminded us of the food we ate last May on a trip to Rome and Amalfi. And the staff was professional but personable and very knowledgeable. The only negative was that the main dining area is open and there are several large tables at the center and one was occupied by a family with several extremely loud teenagers. Many diners complained and the staff was great about speaking to them, but before they left it was difficult to have a conversation.Special Features:
- Last minute surpriseDoctorJCVIPDined on 3/6/2014There were three of us and we were hungry. Using Open Table, we were able to learn that our first 2 choices were unavailable at our preferred time. Tartufo came up on the list and we made a reservation based on "nothing ventured - nothing gained." The food was absolutely terrific. Our waiter who hailed from Milan and Rotterdam, was not only pleasant and knowledgeable, he also showed us pictures of the nightly specials on his smart phone. Everything was as wonderful as portrayed in the photos. The Gavi di Gavi was excellent and went perfectly with our three meals. When our friend accidentally tipped over her espresso, the waiter replaced it without hesitation. I can't say enough good things about Tartufo. It was TERRIFIC!
- We had a very enjoyable mealOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/1/2014We had a very enjoyable meal at Tartufo this past week-end. The food is excellent and our server was very knowledgeable and quite attentive. The only downside for the restaurant is the noise level as it was quite loud. The ceilings are low, so the noise level was pretty intense and made it difficult to hear my wife at times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Do Not Miss It!MaryLGDined on 2/28/2014Fantastic food, top-notch service. Better than anything in the North End and so easy. Parking a breeze. Everything we ate was not only authentic, it was astoundingly good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad Food, Bad Service, OverpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/28/2014I went with my wife for dinner and everything was just awful. The staff was not particularly friendly but most importantly, the food was terrible. The dressing on the Caesar salad is definitely from a jar and tastes stale and old. The shrimp appetizer costs $13 and includes 4 medium shrimp that have barely any taste. The gnocchi is too large, not fluffy, and the dish advertises that it has fresh mozarella in it but we found no signs of it. The sauce on lobster with taglietelle was bland and boring. The pasta was ok and the lobster was ok, but only half a lobster for the whole dish is not much meat. The beer and wine list is boring. Add some microbrews and put some effort into the wine list, especially by the glass.Special Features:
- Maybe an off niteWork4foodVIPDined on 2/21/2014Had good hopes for a pleasant dinner based on recommendation of a colleague. Unfortunately our experience started with our table reservation not being honored and we were offered a seat for dinner at the bar. We both ordered pasta and were not offered pepper or cheese by our server while other guest (with a different server) were offered both. One dish was good while the other was not.
- Delicious and different ItalianbibawasbestDined on 2/21/2014Very consistent quality over the years. Delicious and different Italian food, well prepared and presented. Service is uneven depending on your server. Great wine list. Noisy on a Friday night. Sitting away from the windows is actually better - you lose the view but you are sitting in the larger part of the restaurant which is very pleasant. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Nice PeopleDavidNewtonDined on 2/20/2014This was our second experience at Tartufo. When we went during the summer it was just two of us, it was early, and the place was almost empty. This past time there were seven of us during peak hours. The experience was basically the same. They made us feel not just welcome but like they were really glad to have us there, the service was attentive, and the food was great. Our waiter was an older Italian gentleman. He was charming and informative. An overall great experience though it was a bit noisy until the crowd started to thin a bit.Special Features:
- Food was good. Tried to enjoyOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 2/16/2014Food was good. Tried to enjoy appetizers before ordering meals but felt like server was rushing us.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Italian Fare in a Cozy SettingCottageTableDined on 2/9/2014This was our 2nd time dining at Tartufo, both times with another couple. All of us raved about our dishes - for their originality, freshness, texture, and presentation. Mine was the grilled calamari appetizer (a nice change from the fried version found at most eateries) along with the angel hair, sausage and rapini main course and a nice Abruzzi red wine. We were there on a snowy night, and enjoyed the cozy warmth from a table by the window. Our waiter was very personable, and the service efficient but not at all rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible Noise LevelBaroneDined on 2/8/2014We went to Tartufo this past weekend. The food was good, however, we had to scream at each other throughout the entire meal. I had specifically called ahead to request a "quiet" table because we were taking an older adult with mild hearing issues. They gave us a table right in the middle of the restaurant, and the noise was terrible. When we left the restaurant our ears were ringing similar to the experience one has when they leave a loud concert. Although I liked the food (the chicken marsala was far from the best I have ever had), but it was good, the noise level was unbearable, and I do not have a hearing issue. In order to provide a fine dining experience, this restaurant needs to address the noise problems in the restaurant.
- From Italy with LoveMaki108Dined on 1/31/2014Being from Umbria is often only known for Perugina chocolates; however they hosted wine from my region as well as the restaurant being originally and especially from an Italian East Coast, which adds to the extraordinary value of this place. Most people know of the western coast of Italy, however Italy has more to offer than what is mentioned in vertical pamphlets.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant!JLBRDined on 1/25/2014I was part of a group of 8 that ate at Tartufo on Saturday. The food was delicious and the service was exceptional!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Italian Metro WestKennVIPDined on 1/24/2014I have really enjoyed and appreciated this cozy spot in Newton Centre for a long while; but even more now that some of these chain Italian restaurants have opened up in Newton. They are fine but cookie-cutter and expensive, with food I could make. If you want true Italian food d'Abruzzo you will want to visit this gem in the heart of Newton Centre. The attention to detail by the extraordinary and professional "old school" wait staff is always appreciated. This visit I had the grilled seafood, consisting primarily of shrimp, scallops and squid in a balsamic reduction. A bit more artfully "grilled" for my personal tastes but consistent with regional style. The Caesar was amazing as always, likely the best in Boston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like being in Europe: attentiveyumsDined on 1/20/2014Like being in Europe: attentive staff, food tastes as good as it looksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tartufo always deliversStevenDined on 1/18/2014Live in Chestnut Hill and in the past 6 months have been surrounded by several new, flashy restaurants, but Tartufo stays on the top of our list. Family owned and operated, it gives a feeling of authentic warmth, caring and consistent, quality food. We were hoping to be able to sit at a round table Saturday night at 8, but the one that Tartufo has had a 6:30 reservation. We were told to be safe, we should come at 8:20. Still at home at 8, got a call from the host letting us know that our table was ready and they'd hold it for us. That type of service really sets any business apart from it's competition. When we arrived, we were treated like "regulars" and already look forward to our next experience at Tartufo, our neighborhood star.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tartufo is extremely noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/11/2014The food was good but the noise level was intolerable. We tried to finish fast and run away.
- Skip it. Not impressed.mattlDined on 1/11/2014Visited here Saturday night and unlike most of the reviews it was just okay. Ordered the Crostini Prosciutto which was okay, tasted more like wrapped American Cheese with some red leaf lettuce nearby. The Veal Pizzaiola I ordered was a bit tough and the side of tagliatelle pasta was dry and tasted odd. Not sure what they were going for here but it did not work. The other selection of Carbonara was much better and tasted pretty good, sadly it was not my meal. The highlight was the hot bread and olive oil which I would not call a highlight. Not sure what other reviewers were talking about, the service was good and attentive and friendly. Not sure if I would return to this place.