22 Union St
Newton Center, MA 02459Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://tartuforestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6172448833x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 3:30pm; Dinner: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Sunday: 4:00pm - 9.00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room
A word from Tartufo Restaurant
Tartufo Restaurant is an award-winning Italian restaurant featuring authentic, unique, Abruzzese cuisine conveniently located in Newton Centre, MA. We specialize in chef-prepared Italian dishes-homemade to order-with all natural ingredients.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Tartufo Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
85 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (53)fit for foodies (36)special occasion (33)romantic (19)notable wine list (18)good for groups (16)hot spot (10)great for lunch (8)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (4)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Need more help!lisamDined on 10/18/2014After reading very positive reviews about this restaurant in the heart of Newton, we booked a 7:30 reservation for a party of 8. We were seated promptly but waited very long to place our order. Once the waiter took our order we then had another very long wait for our appetizers and again an even longer wait for our entrees. Meanwhile, we completely emptied the bread basket- never having been offered a refill, at the very least!! I am always hesitant to write negative reviews but it is worth noting that they are severely understaffed!!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014We took guests with us on a Friday evening and found the restaurant packed and the noise level very high. The rating choices for this survey did not accommodate a review indicating loud noise level. We found the food, wine and service very good, but will only visit the restaurant a second time during the week when we hopefully will find the noise level low enough to hear the waiter explaining the 'specials' and have some genial conversation with each other.Special Features:
- dissappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014The waitstaff was friendly and kept our water glasses full, which was quite a chore, since it took one hour (literally 60 minutes) for our food to come out. My biggest issue was that the waiter that took our order didn't come over once to explain why the food was taking so long, or even ask if we wanted additional drinks. I would have expected a little more from a restaurant in which our bill came to $150.
- Great for real Italian food.bob0314Dined on 10/12/2014Good food, friendly atmosphere; perfect for a casual Italian dinner without requiring a trip to the North end.Special Features:
- STown46Dined on 10/12/2014Warm, friendly dining experience. We were seated promptly. The waitstaff was attentive and helpful; specials, including prices, were presented without prompting. Food wise: Based on our party's experience, I would not recommend the bruschetta, or the lemon sole (portion was small and bland). However, the Caesar salad was excellent, and the homemade pasta was outstanding, as was the chicken piccata.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good except...treetopDined on 10/12/2014Everything was very good: the water was attentive, the food was delivered quickly and presented beautifully; however the creamer was served in the individual disposable cups and it seems like a little unimportant detail, but compared to how wonderful everything else was, the creamer seemed very informal and cheap. But I give everything else an A!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too louddinerVIPDined on 10/11/2014The tables are very close together. It was so loud that the waiter almost got several of our orders wrong because he couldn't hear us.
- Best Meal in YearsmgrizVIPDined on 10/10/2014Dined here last Friday with my fiance and had a wonderful time. Everything from the staff to the food to the level of attention was perfect. Had to wait 10-15 min even with a reservation but I can see why people stay longer - once I sat down I didn't want to leave either! Caprese salad was the best I've had, mozzarella tasted day-made fresh, so soft and luxurious. Shrimp and scallop risotto was unbelievable, scratched an itch I didn't even know I had. My fiance had the minestrone soup and bolognese pasta and raved about both. Double cannoli's to end, how can you go wrong? After having one of the most satisfying meals in years, I have officially added Tartufo to the short list of restaurants I truly trust.Special Features:
- Dining42Dined on 10/9/2014Went here for a birthday dinner, everything was amazing! Dishes are all cooked to order so be prepared to take your time. The caprese salad and Cesar are both must try's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great all-aroundjafbugDined on 10/6/2014Love this place! Beautiful tables, clean, and welcoming. Pappardelle de Tartufo is to die for! My husband loved the lobster ravioli. Wonderful salads. The cannolis were very good with a creme sauce. Wonderful service. The owners were happy and engaging. You can tell it's a place that people come back to. I just loved it.Special Features:
- Enjoyed our mealRebeccaVIPDined on 10/4/2014Our group of seven had a lovely evening at Tartufo. The pasta was particularly good as were the specials. We will look forward to returning again in the future.Special Features:
- Delightful FindhatetocookDined on 10/4/2014We needed a restaurant close to Boston College for a family dinner. We have a group of various age groups and various tastes. Every person at the table enjoyed their meal. It is a great spot.Special Features:
- casually elegantdinenutDined on 10/3/2014food was excellently prepared especially fish which was NOT overcooked!Special Features:
- Authentic ItalianBCMomDined on 9/27/2014This lovely restaurant has exceptional food! We enjoyed 3 of the pasta entrees as well as the Osso Buco and each was fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great meal!SteveDined on 9/26/2014We have been coming here for several years now and they never disappoint. Great selections of food and wine, combined with extra special service make this a wonderful place to share an evening with friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceKoreanderVIPDined on 9/26/2014Tartufo is consistent across the board -- great food and great service. Best seating is on the first floor next to the windows. if you are in that center room on the first floor, it's very crowded and noisy.
- Try it, you'll like it!EatAndTellDined on 9/25/2014Needed a restaurant near Boston College to entertain new acquaintances and was lucky to have chosen Tartufo. The food was delicious. We relied on a few recommendations by the waiter about food and wine and he was right on. Even ordered an additional dish to take home and did not have to remind him toward the end of the meal. Would return and would recommend to others. Tip: all three of us wanted to try the WOW Risotto so we split one order as an appetizer. The waiter brought it separated on three dishes. Yummy and nicely served.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We are never disappointed. .SNOOKIEVIPDined on 9/22/2014We love Tartufos restaurant the food is soooo good!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a spectacular find in suburbiaGreatCuisinePassionDined on 9/17/2014This restaurant, Tartufo, is the real deal and it is in Newton Centre, of all places. Not terribly large, they do take reservations. From the moment you enter Tartufo the staff tends to your every need but in subtle and relaxed ways. Our waiters were both Italians - polite, humorous, and careful to make sure my friend and I were pleased with our drinks and our meals. And were we ever. The baguette, just for starters, was the best I've ever had anywhere. The gorgeous flute of Brachetto d'Aqui, a cranberry sparkling wine was divine. Shrimp scampi out of this world, as was the Veal Piccata. Finished with the Limoncello Marscarpone sponge cake with a raspberry Creme Anglaise sauce and coffee. It was sensational and such a find. Excellence!Special Features:
- Dinner at Tartufo😊ShoshyDined on 9/12/2014We had an excellent dinner experience. Warm hospitality, pleasant and warm atmosphere and excellent food and service. Not too expensive. Overall we had a great time in this restaurant. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant, expensive, Italian dinner,outdiningDined on 9/7/2014Of the 7 diners at our table, 4 would rate their meals as excellent, 1 was good, and 2 rated their dinners as average at best. The bartender did not prepare the drinks as specified, and the waiter had to be reminded 3 times for a diet soda order. The tiramisu was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumMeeYumMeeDined on 9/5/2014We've eaten here before and have had better food/service. We came at 830 P on Saturday night.One dish was great, lobster ravioli. For an appetizer we split that and the amount and taste were excellent. Our entrees were not what we expected. The veal piccata which I ordered should have been more tender. I did not want the potato and requested another vegetable. Although the waiter said I could have spinach, he forgot it. Later, when we asked about it, he apologized and got some. My companion's dish was grilled seafood in extra virgin olive oil. It came mainly with calamari. Think it would have been better with few more shrimp and scallops and a few less calamari. This was either an off night or a trend.I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectOnlyTheBestDined on 9/3/2014Tartufo is our go-to choice when we visit family in the Newton area, so we've dined there many times. The food is consistently good, but this last time it was outstanding! The staff was attentive without smothering us, there was just the right amount of humor and sophistication , and they were knowledgable. Over all, an authentic Italian dining experience. If you can't manage a quick dinner trip to Italy, go to Tartufo instead - you will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic evening outIcarewhereishopDined on 8/31/2014Lovely ambience, charming waiter and host, delicious captures salad/lamb sausage and bread!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingKittyVIPDined on 8/29/2014Ate here on mother's day and it was terrific. This time we were seated upstairs near a very loud group with 2 babies that had no concern for anyone around them. Took very long time for our dinner to be served, and then they forgot to bring side dish we ordered. Waiter was nearby chatting with other diners and we had to get his attention about side dish which we received after our entree was finished, and then again when we needed the check. Very surprised that the side dish was not removed from our check as a courtesy or even a free glass of wine offered.
- Great place100PJVIPDined on 8/26/2014This Newton Center restaurant is fabulous. We sat at the bar for dinner and the food and service were top shelf.
- Overprice and mediocreOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/23/2014Sorry but this is just an expensive version of an Olive Garden.
- Neighborhood GemScottVIPDined on 8/23/2014Tartufo is superb - a food-equivalent of North End Italian restaurants. The service is top-notch - old-world attention to detail. The only downside is the noise. Try to sit by the windows and it is less problematic. Definitely one of our go-to restaurants when we want superb Italian food.Special Features:
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014We went there to celebrate a graduation, so we were there before the dinner crowd and ordered off the lunch menu. The food was wonderful, portion sizes decent. Service was attentive but not hovering. We had the place to ourselves so the noise wasn't a problem for us.Special Features:
- Mediocre Food, Slow ServiceCHARLIEDined on 8/22/2014Nice setting, but slow service and food is average at best. We waited 45 minutes before our apps even arrived. Bruschetta was served on hard cracker like slices of bread, and was ice cold, like the whole plate came right out of the fridge. Eggplant rollatini was OK, but was bland and needed a heavy dose of salt. Lobster ravioli and gnocchi entrees came about 30 minutes after we finished our appetizer (at this point the restaurant was empty) and were similarly disappointing, with little flavor. The lobster ravioli had little actual lobster and was mostly filled with what appeared to be canned crab meat. The best part of the meal was the wine and bread basket. For $130 dollars I wish we had gone somewhere else!
- KeriDined on 8/22/2014Unfortunately I was disappointed. Kitchen was backed-up, had minimal attention from the waiter, waited 10-15 minutes for our drinks, and when I got my food, my meal was literally 2 pieces of chicken with no pasta or anything. It was $21 and I wish our waiter let us know. I would've ordered a side of pasta but didn't want to wait another hour for it to come out. It was also too loud in there, where I couldn't hear the other people at the table speaking. Definitely not my best dining experience.Special Features:
- We always love it at Tartufos.SNOOKIEVIPDined on 8/22/2014Great food, great service. Cannot beat it. Best in Newton!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A long term relationshipJefffromBostonDined on 8/17/2014Service has been consistently good over the years as has the food. Now a special place for our family. Downstairs much better ambiance than upstairs, but can hold larger parties better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/17/2014As others have noted, the food is outstanding, and the atmosphere and service are excellent. I agree, though, that the prices are rather high for a restaurant of this sort. Otherwise, no complaints. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/16/2014we thoroughly enjoyed our dinner, everyone finished their meal. the food was very good, we were squished near a column and it was difficult to get out without bumping into the table next to us but that was the only problem. we will go again just not at that table....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For great food & better service...NewtonfoodieDined on 8/8/2014I have been to Tartufo several times and it never fails to deliver. The food is outstanding! The servers are attentive (our water and wine glasses were never empty) and so focused on the customers. It is wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing menu, good foodjimsDined on 7/31/2014Tartufo is a wonderful neighborhood restaurant with an outstanding menu. This was our second visit and everyone at our table labored to decide how many courses and what to try. By the time we got through the salads, appetizers and pastas, we didn't have room for an entree, but of course there's always room for a dessert to share. The food is wonderful, although not very nuanced. The beef carpaccio and a lobster salad were a bit overpowered with lemon. The risotto had a strong lobster sauce flavor - it was good, but also lacked subtlety. These are small points - overall the cuisine at Tartufo is excellent and we will continue to visit when in the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ask for prices on specialsKitKatDined on 7/27/2014When our server presented us with the daily specials he did not disclose prices. I know that we could have asked, but didn't. So we had a very unpleasant surprise when the check arrived; the specials were almost double the regular menu prices AND the special wasn't exceptionally good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/26/2014Food and service were excellent. I would highly recommend this restaurant. There were 4 of us and we have Chicken and Fish and food was hot and very tasty. Restaurant is a little noisy but worth eating there.Special Features:
- Wonderful evening with my wifeWestRoxersDined on 7/26/2014Easy reservation made. We sat in a perfect quiet corner of restaurant. Salads were delicious and not too large. Chicken parmesean was cooked to perfection. Not too heavy on sauce or amount of pasta. My wife had seafood risotto which is her favorite dish. Dessert was delicious and easily shared between both of us. It was a perfect end to our Saturday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.