22 Union St
Newton Center, MA 02459Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://tartuforestaurant.com/
- Phone: (617) 244-8833
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 3:30pm; Dinner: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Sunday: 4:00pm - 9.00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room
A word from Tartufo Restaurant
Tartufo Restaurant is an award-winning Italian restaurant featuring authentic, unique, Abruzzese cuisine conveniently located in Newton Centre, MA. We specialize in chef-prepared Italian dishes-homemade to order-with all natural ingredients.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Tartufo Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
117 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (76)fit for foodies (54)special occasion (40)romantic (27)notable wine list (25)good for groups (22)hot spot (13)great for lunch (11)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (6)vibrant bar scene (6)great for brunch (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- great food, too loud, crowded...RWFGWUVIPDined on 11/15/2014We had a 7:45 reservation but we're not seated until 8:30. The bar area is for eating so they were not happy that we only ordered drinks while waiting for our table. However there was no where else to wait. The entrance was packed as was the small bar upstairs. Finally got seated, right next to the check in area so waiting patrons were literally hovering over two people in our party. The food is wonderful but the restaurant is very small, ridiculously loud and no room to wait. Could not even hear the waiter telling us the specials. Not sure I'd return.I would recommend this to a friend.
- When in Newton ...TenaftertenVIPDined on 11/15/2014Very nice atmosphere. The veal pizzaiola was perfik with a light mozzarella and cherry tomatoes. Apps were good and my dates pasta entree was worth bringing home the leftovers. Sat in the bar area by the window. A little busy but entertaining. Well worth the obligatory $125 for two restaurant status.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Discovery in our backyard17thOnSept21Dined on 11/15/2014The positive reviews of Tartufo are spot on. We were greeted and served with warmth and courtesy. The food was imaginative, tasty, attractively presented, and served without undue delay by the attentive wait staff. The dining room was lively with many dinners, but the noise level no problem whatever. We will most definitely be eating at Tartufo again. I would give Tartufo a strong four and a half stars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tartufo is "excellente" as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/14/2014A wonderful neighborhood gem that consistently delivers wonderful Italian food based on the Abruzzo region and utilizing our local seafood. All the seafood dishes are excellent, especially grilled calamari. Grilled calamari too often in other restaurants are rubbery and insipid. Never at Tartufo. Veal dishes are also well prepared and we enjoyed a wonderful eggplant rolettini as an appetizer. Dante, the owner is a wonderful host and his attention to detail shows.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/11/2014Been here 3 times with co-workers and family. Never had a bad meal. Service is really good and can handle both professional and family occasions. Really outstanding italian food.Special Features:
- Fabulous Local GenroselzDined on 11/9/2014I LOVE the restaurant. It has been around for years and years and I never went until a few months ago. Walking in the owner and staff greet me as if I was a customer they have known forever. At times the service may be a bit slow but I don't come here to eat and run! A true gem. For those gluten sensitive this is the Italian place for you with excellent glutton free pasta as an alternative. You will not be disappointed!Special Features:
- kittykatzDined on 11/8/2014Fabulous homemade pasta. I always love a restaurant where there are at least 10 things on the menu I want to order. Tagliatelle Tartufo was great, along with seafood risotto. Excellent choice of wines. Was too full for dessert, but next time. I understand this restaurant has been there for some time, but I was surprised at how good it was and that I'd not heard more about it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodWelleselyDinerDined on 11/7/2014We really enjoyed our dinner~ 7:30 on a Friday night for four people. The place was packed! Everyone enjoyed their apps and their entries. It was our first time eating there and we would go back!!Special Features:
- Best Italian aroundOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/1/2014This is classic, Abruzzi cuisine, meticulously prepared, served by a knowledgable, extremely capable and friendly staff, overseen by a passionate executive chef/owner. I know this sounds bold: Tartufo is better than any Italian restaurant in Boston, much less Newton or the western suburbs. But it is true. It reminds me of an excellent Roman trattoria.Special Features:
- Great local place!!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/1/2014This place is perfect when you want to stay close to home! Food is always good and they make great drinks! Avoid the table by the door, unless you like people on top of you. Other wise you will love the place!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/31/2014A favorite among family and friends, including Italians. A very good Abruzzi experience; food, wine, staff and ambiance. On weekend evenings, the noise level climbs but still enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Newton Center GemNewtonFoodieVIPDined on 10/28/2014A great find right in the heart of Newton Center. Great Italian classics with served up by friendly and attentive service. Great appetizers which are appropriately sized for starters -- I'd definitely recommend the Tuna Tartare and the Beef Carpaccio. Those two dishes were bursting with flavor! As for main courses, I loved the Linguini Vongole and was pleasantly surprised to find an in-shell, half lobster on my plate with the Lobster Arrabiata. The wine list offered several Italian treats from all of the usual suspect regions (Piedmont & Tuscany), but also had some special choices from Umbria & Sicily (and I've not yet been disappointed in a bottle in all of my trips for lunch / dinner). Give this place a shot - you'll love it!Special Features:
- dinner at grandmasAntikVIPDined on 10/26/2014I imagine coming to grandma's for dinner would taste like this. Consistent, well practiced recipes prepared with the skilled hand. Sunday dinner time restaurant was full, so service was a bit slow, but when your waiter finally comes to the table you have his full attention. I've been coming to Tartufo for years, and I like it. Considering wealth and variety of regional Italian cuisine I would love to see more innovation on the plate. Some in party found prices too high for the lack luster meal.Special Features:
- What a gem!!MarKevVIPDined on 10/25/2014We brought our friends here on this visit, and they simply loved the whole experience! Wonderful food, wonderful service, and perfect ambiance....what more can you ask for? We look forward to our next visit. Possibly bringing more friends 8-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- won't be backToughtopleaseVIPDined on 10/25/2014Arriving at a restaurant on a Saturday night with a reservation, and having to wait at the bar for our table turns me off completely. The wait wasn't too long, fortunately. But why this place is so crowded is a mystery. The food was mediocre at best, and portions somewhat skimpy. Wine was really overpriced.
- Nice Italian Wine ListMadChemistDined on 10/25/2014If you are a fan of Italian wines Tartufo has great collection and a very knowledgeable and entertaining sommelier.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice restaurant - bland foodcharlieVIPDined on 10/22/2014The food here is promising but falls short - In general food was bland and just about everything we ate lacked garlic, Caesar salad was good, minestrone needed to be thicker - some of it should have been pureed/reduced to concentrate flavor. It also needed garlic and tomato paste. Salmon was slightly overcooked, and the red pepper added nothing. Pasta bolognese was unusually bland for this dish which is usually full of flavor - it too needed a hefty amount of garlic, some salt and a tiny bit of hot pepper to make it pop. Shrimp appetizer was pretty good, biut it too needed garlic. Espresso was delicious. Service was excellent and atmosphere was very relaxing and comfortable.
- SuperbScottVIPDined on 10/21/2014Tartufo has become one of our favorite haunts for superb Italian fare served by old-school professional servers. (Our server for this visit was one of our favorites, Antonio.) Our party of five each had different dishes and each was thrilled...from the Veal Chops to a Lobster special to the Cod dish that I had. The calamari appetizer is grilled, not fried, and is a wonderful way to begin the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Need more help!lisamVIPDined on 10/18/2014After reading very positive reviews about this restaurant in the heart of Newton, we booked a 7:30 reservation for a party of 8. We were seated promptly but waited very long to place our order. Once the waiter took our order we then had another very long wait for our appetizers and again an even longer wait for our entrees. Meanwhile, we completely emptied the bread basket- never having been offered a refill, at the very least!! I am always hesitant to write negative reviews but it is worth noting that they are severely understaffed!!!Special Features:
- FryetcDined on 10/17/2014We took guests with us on a Friday evening and found the restaurant packed and the noise level very high. The rating choices for this survey did not accommodate a review indicating loud noise level. We found the food, wine and service very good, but will only visit the restaurant a second time during the week when we hopefully will find the noise level low enough to hear the waiter explaining the 'specials' and have some genial conversation with each other.Special Features:
- dissappointed2tasteDined on 10/17/2014The waitstaff was friendly and kept our water glasses full, which was quite a chore, since it took one hour (literally 60 minutes) for our food to come out. My biggest issue was that the waiter that took our order didn't come over once to explain why the food was taking so long, or even ask if we wanted additional drinks. I would have expected a little more from a restaurant in which our bill came to $150.
- Great for real Italian food.bob0314Dined on 10/12/2014Good food, friendly atmosphere; perfect for a casual Italian dinner without requiring a trip to the North end.Special Features:
- STown46Dined on 10/12/2014Warm, friendly dining experience. We were seated promptly. The waitstaff was attentive and helpful; specials, including prices, were presented without prompting. Food wise: Based on our party's experience, I would not recommend the bruschetta, or the lemon sole (portion was small and bland). However, the Caesar salad was excellent, and the homemade pasta was outstanding, as was the chicken piccata.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good except...treetopDined on 10/12/2014Everything was very good: the water was attentive, the food was delivered quickly and presented beautifully; however the creamer was served in the individual disposable cups and it seems like a little unimportant detail, but compared to how wonderful everything else was, the creamer seemed very informal and cheap. But I give everything else an A!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too louddinerVIPDined on 10/11/2014The tables are very close together. It was so loud that the waiter almost got several of our orders wrong because he couldn't hear us.
- Best Meal in YearsmgrizVIPDined on 10/10/2014Dined here last Friday with my fiance and had a wonderful time. Everything from the staff to the food to the level of attention was perfect. Had to wait 10-15 min even with a reservation but I can see why people stay longer - once I sat down I didn't want to leave either! Caprese salad was the best I've had, mozzarella tasted day-made fresh, so soft and luxurious. Shrimp and scallop risotto was unbelievable, scratched an itch I didn't even know I had. My fiance had the minestrone soup and bolognese pasta and raved about both. Double cannoli's to end, how can you go wrong? After having one of the most satisfying meals in years, I have officially added Tartufo to the short list of restaurants I truly trust.Special Features:
- Dining42Dined on 10/9/2014Went here for a birthday dinner, everything was amazing! Dishes are all cooked to order so be prepared to take your time. The caprese salad and Cesar are both must try's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great all-aroundjafbugDined on 10/6/2014Love this place! Beautiful tables, clean, and welcoming. Pappardelle de Tartufo is to die for! My husband loved the lobster ravioli. Wonderful salads. The cannolis were very good with a creme sauce. Wonderful service. The owners were happy and engaging. You can tell it's a place that people come back to. I just loved it.Special Features:
- Enjoyed our mealRebeccaVIPDined on 10/4/2014Our group of seven had a lovely evening at Tartufo. The pasta was particularly good as were the specials. We will look forward to returning again in the future.Special Features:
- Delightful FindhatetocookDined on 10/4/2014We needed a restaurant close to Boston College for a family dinner. We have a group of various age groups and various tastes. Every person at the table enjoyed their meal. It is a great spot.Special Features:
- casually elegantdinenutDined on 10/3/2014food was excellently prepared especially fish which was NOT overcooked!Special Features:
- Authentic ItalianBCMomDined on 9/27/2014This lovely restaurant has exceptional food! We enjoyed 3 of the pasta entrees as well as the Osso Buco and each was fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great meal!SteveDined on 9/26/2014We have been coming here for several years now and they never disappoint. Great selections of food and wine, combined with extra special service make this a wonderful place to share an evening with friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceKoreanderVIPDined on 9/26/2014Tartufo is consistent across the board -- great food and great service. Best seating is on the first floor next to the windows. if you are in that center room on the first floor, it's very crowded and noisy.
- Try it, you'll like it!EatAndTellDined on 9/25/2014Needed a restaurant near Boston College to entertain new acquaintances and was lucky to have chosen Tartufo. The food was delicious. We relied on a few recommendations by the waiter about food and wine and he was right on. Even ordered an additional dish to take home and did not have to remind him toward the end of the meal. Would return and would recommend to others. Tip: all three of us wanted to try the WOW Risotto so we split one order as an appetizer. The waiter brought it separated on three dishes. Yummy and nicely served.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We are never disappointed. .SNOOKIEVIPDined on 9/22/2014We love Tartufos restaurant the food is soooo good!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a spectacular find in suburbiaGreatCuisinePassionDined on 9/17/2014This restaurant, Tartufo, is the real deal and it is in Newton Centre, of all places. Not terribly large, they do take reservations. From the moment you enter Tartufo the staff tends to your every need but in subtle and relaxed ways. Our waiters were both Italians - polite, humorous, and careful to make sure my friend and I were pleased with our drinks and our meals. And were we ever. The baguette, just for starters, was the best I've ever had anywhere. The gorgeous flute of Brachetto d'Aqui, a cranberry sparkling wine was divine. Shrimp scampi out of this world, as was the Veal Piccata. Finished with the Limoncello Marscarpone sponge cake with a raspberry Creme Anglaise sauce and coffee. It was sensational and such a find. Excellence!Special Features:
- Dinner at Tartufo😊ShoshyDined on 9/12/2014We had an excellent dinner experience. Warm hospitality, pleasant and warm atmosphere and excellent food and service. Not too expensive. Overall we had a great time in this restaurant. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant, expensive, Italian dinner,outdiningDined on 9/7/2014Of the 7 diners at our table, 4 would rate their meals as excellent, 1 was good, and 2 rated their dinners as average at best. The bartender did not prepare the drinks as specified, and the waiter had to be reminded 3 times for a diet soda order. The tiramisu was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumMeeYumMeeDined on 9/5/2014We've eaten here before and have had better food/service. We came at 830 P on Saturday night.One dish was great, lobster ravioli. For an appetizer we split that and the amount and taste were excellent. Our entrees were not what we expected. The veal piccata which I ordered should have been more tender. I did not want the potato and requested another vegetable. Although the waiter said I could have spinach, he forgot it. Later, when we asked about it, he apologized and got some. My companion's dish was grilled seafood in extra virgin olive oil. It came mainly with calamari. Think it would have been better with few more shrimp and scallops and a few less calamari. This was either an off night or a trend.I would recommend this to a friend.