209 Mulberry Street
New York, NY 10012Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.tartinery.com/
- Phone: 2123005838
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 6:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 6:00pm, Dinner nightly: 6:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Jean-Louis Dumonet
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Tartinery
Tartinery is the modern version of the traditional french bistro. Its concept, inevitably, revolves around the Tartine, which can be described as a classic and gourmet open-faced sandwich served on a razor-thin slice of toasted bread. Our feature bread is the well-renowed Poilane country bread from St Germain-des-Pres in Paris. Among our 17 recipes you will find a tartine you will love at any hour of the day to share or not to share. In addition, we also offer typical salads, seasonal soups (hot & chilled), homemade desserts, freshly squeezed juices and a unique selection of boutique and organic wines by the glass, carafe and bottle. We are a wine bar and “tapas” bar French style by evenings. The entire menu is chalk-written on the wall above the concrete bar. Chalk walls are also found in the restrooms, where customers can leave their own personal messages of appreciation. The industrial decor is a tactful blend of New York classics and european soul.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Tartinery reviews from OpenTable diners
38 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (22)neighborhood gem (19)romantic (16)notable wine list (13)good for groups (12)great for brunch (8)great for lunch (8)hot spot (6)special occasion (4)late-night find (4)vibrant bar scene (2)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Tartinery: yummyMaypDined on 10/17/2014The tartines are delicious, so is the rest of the menu. The price is affordable, and you eat well. Portions are a good size. The place is beautiful, the decoration is very rock/romantic, and it's a perfect place to go with friends to share French tartines, either for couples. The service is outstanding, they speak both English & French, and they smile. I recommend this place!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed feelingsDiner3Dined on 10/13/2014Yes, I would recommend to friends for wine and tartines. Unfortunately we were not thrilled at all with the service. The waiter was obviously overwhelmed and needed another set of hands to help. We would've ordered more wine and food had he been able to give us more attention. My favorites were the steak tartare Tartine and the lobster Tartine, and the kale Caesar salad and Cobb salad were also very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always lovely to eat hereMadameM88Dined on 10/12/2014I'm happy that I was able to organize a brunch for my friends here. I usually go eat here with just one friend or two but to be able to do it for 12 was a toughie. Even if that was the case, I have to say, getting a reservation was rather swift and the manager was actually kind enough to accommodate my request although eventually I had to not push for it BUT still that says a lot about this place. They are actually willing to bend just a little bit just to make sure you get a wonderful experience. Merci beaucoup.Special Features:
- table for 2RedDivaDined on 10/3/2014Met a date there. We enjoyed the onion soup and shared 2 tatines, the shrimp and avocado on sourdough bread, and the fig with blue cheese on country bread. The onion soup was hearty, loaded with cheese; its broth lacked salt and pepper, but once added was quite good. The tatines were both very delicious. The white house wine was ok, nothing spectacular, the rose version was alot better and seemed to partner our dishes much better. Our server was very attentive and made a point to make our time special. Would definitely recommend for a date spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just fantastic!YanDougDined on 9/29/2014What a find! I was walking in front of Tartinery everyday without realising that it was a neighbourhood gem. The food is so simple and so good! You definitely have to try the ravioles. Best cheese pasta I had in my life. Really! I didn't know what was a tatine - toasted bread with different toppings. So nice to share with your girlfriend. The barman was really helpful and chill. I'll be back every week!Special Features:
- Neat French concept importOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/12/2014Had lunch here recently and was surprised to happen on it as it is near to one of my favorite neighborhood restaurants. I had seen the location at Hudson Eats but had yet to try it out. We had the prix fix lunch which was a generous portion of a tartine with soup or desert of the day. My chicken tartine was delicious as was the soup. The wine list is decent and reasonable and the setting is perfect for relaxing with a glass or two and watching the streetscape. Tables are cozy but the expansive glass face makes it not feel tight or cramped. We will be back and are now are all the more likely to give the Brookfield place location a try as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant weekCexiesqVIPDined on 8/7/2014No Restaurant Week specials when other major restaurants in city are participating.Special Features:
- Great placeEtiquetteDined on 7/6/2014Loved it. It was my first time dining here and it's terrific.Special Features:
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/30/2014Great for groups, and service was very accomodatingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 190 reviews are from the Tartinery reviews archive.
- AccomodatingFoodloverVIPDined on 6/7/2014Went for a group birthday where we had some people who eat gluten free. We brought our own gluten free bread and they prepared all the tartines with the gluten free bread we brought.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent findOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/4/2014a perfect mid-week go to. had the asperges-avocat. totally delicious. wine offerings were strong. great to discover something this good.
- A Gem with ReservationsOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/25/2014Great location in Nolita in a wonderful setting. Service was attentive; noise level great for a family dinner. Warm, inviting below-ground main dining room with soft lighting and well organized tables. Foie gras was excellent, as was the artichoke salad. Arugula and chèvre chaud salad was also very good. The croque madame was also very good. The onion soup, however, did not live up to expectations. The fondant au chocolat was excellent, according to my children. The cheese was both well selected and presented. We will return to Tartinery to try a few more plates.Special Features:
- Cheesy lunchSixguinnessDined on 5/24/2014Portions weren't too large. The open faced club sandwich had melted gruyere cheese over the bacon. By the time I got to the third portion the cheese had become rubbery. All in all the sandwich tasted bland.
- okay for business lunchkim2nycVIPDined on 5/14/2014lunch menu is great. neighborhood gem, will try another time for dinnerSpecial Features:
- Fun restaurantDisappointingVIPDined on 5/13/2014I went there for lunch and had a few different tartines. The mozzarella tomato and the asparagus. They were both very good and the meal was not expensive. The waiters were very friendly and it was a very pleasant experience .Special Features:
- Great place for brunch or lunchilovefoodDined on 5/10/2014I enjoyed the food and the environment. The service was great and loved the carafes of rose.Special Features:
- Late Evening RepastFoodofileFrankVIPDined on 5/4/2014Tucked away on Mulberry Street in Nolita is Tartinery. We were led to a downstairs table, a more quiet locale than the street level bar area. The downstairs area is roughly a square room with banquette seating around the perimeter of the room. In the center of the room is a tree with decorative lighting; a table surrounding the tree and seating surrounding the table. The south wall is adorned with pictures of Paris and musicians. Music from the 60's and 70's plays in the background. In reviews I almost always write about the food, except at the Tartinery it is as much about the experience as the food. The food is novel and well done, but not the reason I liked this place so much.Special Features:
- Ana10Dined on 5/4/2014it was good, but not extraordinary, there were only tartines, it's logical, but sometimes you wanna something else than bread! Otherwise it was really good but the price won't worth it. Service was very good! The place is beautyful and great for big groups!!! Finally, i would've expected that the restaurant had closed later (at 11PM we have been put out the restaurant!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jack132Dined on 4/29/2014Redelijk prijs kwaliteit verhouding. Redelijke wijnen.Special Features:
- Wonderful experienceYYZLHFCODined on 4/19/2014The food and staff we're amazing. I couldn't recommend this place highly enough.Special Features:
- Great food, but...WonderfulDined on 4/18/2014This place had excellent food, but was very, very noisy. It's very small, but music was blasting so talking was shouting. Waiter was very kind, but he got the order wrong (possibly because he couldn't hear it properly) and there was a large error on our bill.Special Features:
- Amazing Dinner !OliviaMDined on 4/11/2014I had a lovely dinner with my brother two days ago. I had the rosbif Tartine which was amazing and the chocolate fondant ! Staff was really good and they answer all our request for the food ! French songs?, I loved them ! I would definitely come back to try the Onion soup which looked really nice !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceGuyakiDined on 4/3/2014Amazing fresh quality French food, best bread in NY, very charming place, great staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BdaymeowVIPDined on 3/29/2014There was confusion while placing the order - server was not clear on the menu and when food was received - however, he did comp us for tea and coffee.Special Features:
- Sweet not tart!DougDined on 3/29/2014A lovely spot for a leisurely brunch/lunch with variations on a theme for "tarts" which aren't...more "assembled" open faced sandwiches. The eggs benedict with crispy bacon are delicious and perhaps the best priced item on the menu. Atmosphere...rustic modern, very attractive, service, friendly and attentive.Special Features:
- Great for groups!FredVIPDined on 3/24/2014I went with a group of 10 and they were fantastic. Not hugely attentive, but just the right amount to let us hang out and enjoy the food and bev. Will certainly go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our waiter seemed inexperiencedallofthenomsDined on 3/22/2014Our waiter seemed inexperienced and uninterested while the hosts at the front door were inattentive, and considering it was 8:00 on a Saturday night, I don't understand why they wouldn't have their absolute best staff on hand. That being said, I'll chalk it up to a fluke. Food was wonderful though the menu is limited and the crowd/ambiance was pleasant. Exactly what I expect in SoHo on a Saturday. Low key and trendy with a great glass of wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantpuravidaVIPDined on 3/15/2014We had an excellent dinner on Saturday. The salads were fantastic, the bread was great, and the cheese...was outstanding. Great staff, beautiful food, fantastic neighborhood. Nicolas knows how to run a restaurant, he chatted with us...his attitude is the best. Tartinery is a great choice if you are looking for delicious food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChrisDined on 3/14/2014Great small plates, awesome wine, super friendly and helpful staff. Turned out we went a little too healthy/light in our tartine choices, but everything on them was great. Sitting at the bar was pretty coolSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great little gemR2NYCDined on 3/13/2014Charming hip atmosphere with delicious food in heart of NolitaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful lunchKarenDined on 3/11/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our lunch. The chestnut soup was amazing, the tartines were delicious and we were very happy with the service. We had some great wine but just before leaving I watched them making some beautiful juice concoctions for a group, I would try one of those next time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointingpiermontDined on 3/9/2014largely a counter with a crowded group where you cannot even tell where your reservations would apply
- LOVE LOVE LOVE this place!NickDined on 3/2/2014LOVE LOVE LOVE this place! Best gratin dauphinois in town!!! Came here with my girlfriend the other night and we had a wonderful time! The staff was super friendly with us from the moment we arrived till we left. We shared the gratin dauphinois to start which was amazing, best we've ever had, then i had the steak and my girlfriend the chicken paillard. Very nice wine list. All in all we had an amazing time here and we will definitely be back!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad SeatingCherDined on 2/21/2014I booked a Table for 4 people upon arrival we were seated directly under the stairs I wouldn't have minded this if the place was busy but it wasn't there was a whole room full of good seating that they Could have easily placed us, but instead it was under the stairs?Special Features:
- Great food but need more wait staffMTM717VIPDined on 2/16/2014On a Saturday night the downstairs area was full as expected but only one server was responsible for the whole floor. He did the best he could but he definitely should have had at least one or more servers working with him. This place is extremely loud, both the music and the conversation noise level in general, probably attributable primarily to the layout of the restaurant. The food was excellent though!Special Features:
- Now I like bread but...StevoDined on 2/14/2014I booked a 'romantic' dinner on valentines day here, following excellent reviews from opentable, new york mag & others. We were promptly seated & everything seemed to be going well. The waiter asked to take our order, we asked for some wine, before launching into what food we might like, but he'd already gone. When he returned, he never explained anything on the menu. The starter came and it was sliced bread with packet salmon and cucumber. The cheapest and blandest starter in history. The entrees came, my pasta was bland and tasteless, my partner's lamb was overcooked. I could have done better at home. The dessert came, it was sliced bread again with nutella and 5 slices of banana. What a joke. Don't go here. Unless you love sliced bread.
- Great food, rushed serviceU7ksDined on 2/14/2014Food was great. Ravioles were outstanding and all tartines really savory. However, service felt rushed and the waitress kept going away faster than we could ask her questionsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hmmm....LaPeNYCDined on 2/12/2014In my reservation request I ask to be seated downstairs. We were accommodated with great hesitation, not sure why. There were 3 open tables during our meal. We ordered cocktails & needed time to look atthe menu. Cocktails arrived & we asked for bread. The server returned a few times w/i 10mins still w/o bread, "it's toasting." 3rd time the server stopped by we ordered a tartine & ordered wine. 2mins later our bottle arrived & the server poured each of our glasses; we had'nt even finished our cocktails. Total Fail! 10mins later, our "toasted bread" arrived & we were asked for our order for our main dish. Food was delicious, lamb dish the portion for a child & served in a cast iron terrine w/o a plate. Service was terrible. Never going back!
- Will definitely come backritaVIPDined on 2/3/2014Excellent service, really trendy venue, great food (loved the quinoa salad / thon cru tartine)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must goPriscilaDined on 1/28/2014La Tartinery is my favorite restaurant in NYC. Reasonable prices, really good food and amazing desserts! I recommend "Le fondant au chocolat" - delicious! I like the ambiance of that place and the waiters are really nice! You can be sure to have a great time there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.