1 West Broad St.
Richmond, VA 23220Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.tarrantscaferva.com/
- Phone: 8042250035
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday: 11:00am - 3:00pm, Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 5:00pm, Sunday: 10:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Pizzeria
- Executive Chef: Ted Santarella
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Featuring live music and DJ's. Check our Facebook page for more information.
- Special Events: For parties of more than 6, please call the restaurant to make a reservation.
A word from Tarrant's Cafe
Tarrant's Cafe is situated in the Richmond Old and Historic District. It was an important corner bringing drugstore services to nearby residents for over eighty years spanning the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. 130 years later this building is bringing neighborhood service to Richmond’s community with an upscale but affordable restaurant: Tarrants Cafe.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Tarrant's Cafe - Best Restaurants in Richmond ›
Tarrant's Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
159 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (97)fit for foodies (74)special occasion (69)great for lunch (54)great for brunch (53)good for groups (48)romantic (34)notable wine list (22)hot spot (21)kid-friendly (15)vibrant bar scene (13)late-night find (13)scenic view (2)Show More
- Excellent meal!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014We are "foodies" who found this restaurant to be Excellent! Probably the best meal we've had north of New Orleans. The dishes were fresh, flavorful and inventive, and the service was excellent. We would highly recommend this restaurant to our family and friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect lunch spotamyzzonDined on 8/28/2014I've been in several times for lunch - sometimes in a time crunch, but this time for a leisurely meal with a friend. The service was fantastic, and the food was delicious as usual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needing more gluten free itemsGhenqDined on 8/25/2014Other all, the Restuarant earned an 8 from me. I was a bit disappointed with the gluten free menu, not much of a variety for special dietary needs. 5-6 entrees and most was shellfish which I am allergic to.. I ordered the Mahi Mahi fish taco, which was a bit dry and plain brown rice...the best thing was the salad,black beans and the bread which I wasn't suppose to eat. The waitress was very attentive and we were seated right away with our openable reservation. The portion was very large and most of my party of 6 had food to go! My group also liked the ideal of valet parking!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014Enjoyed the atmosphere and the food was very delicious. Made reservation and no problem didn't have to wait. Great place for a group of people to enjoy and relax.Special Features:
- Fun, romantic placeGwynn400Dined on 8/23/2014We had decided to go to Tarrant's based on online recommendations that were then solidified by friends in Chester. The restaurant was crowded, but the noise level was low enough to hear my wife. I had a special (monk fish marsala) which was excellent. My wife had the Filet, in a mushroom marsala, which she enjoyed very much. The wine list was great, with prices that were very reasonable. I would definitely recommend this place for a romantic couple or a small group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/18/2014Was a little disappointed- had made a reservation several days in advance and our party of five was placed at a four top booth with a chair at the end. A little too crowded for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Nice lunchLabratDined on 8/18/2014Very pleasant person took us to seats. Waitress was also very pleasant and competent. Good selection of beers, good menu selection. Food came promptly and was excellent. Table was located at back of restaurant and while there was some noise, we could have a normal conversation. An excellent restaurant.Special Features:
- First time, it was very goodBosox406VIPDined on 8/17/2014We had brunch here and it was great. I think it is very cool that they kept the old drug store theme. We will be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/16/2014The menu is very expansive but has no real point of view. The food is average without anything outstandingl. It is a very busy place on a Saturday night. The servers made multiple errors and, although we ordered wine when we got our main courses, we did not receive it until we were almost done with the main course.
- highly recommendchachaDined on 8/13/2014Overall, I would highly recommend. HOwever, there is room for improvement. The martinis were excellent but could be bigger (even if they had to charge more). The fried green tomatoes were good but somewhat over breaded; same for the crab cakes which was a pretty big disappointment. The service was excellent, and the kitchen was very accommodating on substitutions. Very warm and friendly atmosphere. They really want to please.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tarrant'sHappyDinerDined on 8/13/2014This is our go-to place for a special meal with friends. The menu is varied, with something for everyone. The food is always well prepared, and service is outstanding.Special Features:
- Something for everyone!NightoutonthetownDined on 8/13/2014You can't go wrong at Tarrant's. They have an extensive menu with something to please everyone, even the kids. I have never had a bad meal at Tarrant's. Whether you want to splurge on a nice piece of fish or have a sandwich or appetizer, their food is always fresh and delicious. I love the old building and ambiance. A favorite with friends, Mother's Day, an out of town guest, or the morning after a night out - delivered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- She-crab soup & pastrami -amazing!gkelly22Dined on 8/10/2014Went to Tarrants before heading across the street to the Virginia Repertory Theatre. The restaurant was busy, but we had made reservations. We were promptly seated. The waiter was terrific - attentive, but not annoying. The food was amazing - the soup was super-hot and delicious. The pastrami was better than any deli that I've been to. Coffee was also delicious and hot. Great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodcarlDined on 8/7/2014Great food, rose to the challange of catering for son will nut and egg allergies, making him some egg free meatballs.Special Features:
- Great Food but....TicktockmanDined on 8/7/2014This is our usual choice for special occasions and business lunches. The food is always great. However, we were disappointed with their lack of organization this evening. Even with a reservation, we didn't get seated until 40 minutes later. We hen we did finally get seated, they tried to place our party of 5 in a small booth that barely fit 4. I would have expected some sort of apology but that didn't happen. So maybe we will try another venue next time we have more than 4. Too bad....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tennisgalDined on 8/5/2014The food was great and would come again and recommend to friends!! Desserts were huge and some of best that I have ever had. Good vegetarian and vegan options , specially made a dessert without egg wash. Service was personable, warm , and very good.Special Features:
- Another Winning Meal at Tarrant'sglfwthuDined on 8/3/2014Enjoyed Brunch at Tarrant's this past Sunday. Food was delicious, served hot and great service. Highly recommend this establishment.Special Features:
- DRYEEZDined on 8/2/2014Third time to eat there. Very good food and the wait staff were great. Very busy on the Saturday night we were there and the noise level was high enough to make conversation a challenge.
- Oh no!NotapickyeaterDined on 8/2/2014I love the ambience and the decor, and the service was great, but was extremely disappointed that for $30 we got crab cakes that were deep fried! They were what you would expect from the frozen food section at the grocery store. My date had to burrow the crab out of the fried shell. I got a half Greek salad that was quite small and lacking in content for $8. I have had a few good meals there in the past but now must conclude that it's overpriced for what it is -- a cool neighborhood burger place. Love the atmosphere though!
- ALWAYS GOOD!uvadeltaDined on 8/2/2014Since discovering Tarrants some years ago, it has remained one of my favorite eating places in Richmond. The staff is friendly and the food is worth every penny. Owner Ted can be found walking through and holding conversations with patrons. It is obvious the entire staff takes ownership and pride in the great service and food.Special Features:
- We loved it!4fudloversDined on 8/1/2014We went there for our anniversary. It was our first visit after hearing good things. We were not disappointed. They had reserved a wonderful table for us. Ambiance, food, and service was wonderful. We will go back. It was a great Experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never FailsVaNyLaDined on 7/28/2014As long as I have dined here with friends, family or colleagues Tarrant's never fails me/us! The food is consistently tasty and service is great. I hope they never change....Highly recommend!Special Features:
- BoomerDined on 7/26/2014Tarrant's after the theater dining was on point. Service was friendly and fast. Food and wine were good, a little pricey, but that was expected. Definitely a place to go on the weekends and enjoy the ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Richmond FavouriteAussieFoodieDined on 7/26/2014As always Tarrants never fails, the food is great, the staff are nice and you never wait long for your food. This is definitely a Richmond gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A favoritervafoodieDined on 7/23/2014One of our favorite places. Can't wait for the new location to open!Special Features:
- Never been, but will return!!ChrisafaDined on 7/23/2014I had never to Tarrant's Café before. I was meeting a client in there for lunch and it was a great mutual spot picked by the client. We beat most of the lunch rush into the restaurant and it was great early on. As the place filled up, it got a little louder, but still a great spot.Special Features:
- Surf/Turf and Salad NicoiseLindaDined on 7/20/2014Both our meals were delicious, and brought to the table at the right temperature. Crab Bisque was delicious, too.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/19/2014Food is outstanding, always modifying menu with new items while keeping old-time favorites. Great attentive staff and no matter how busy they are always attentive and wait staff support each other so your meals are delivered promptly from the kitchen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love, Love, LoveRVAtheraterBuffDined on 7/19/2014Tarrants continues to be my favorite restaurant. This time I ordered my favorite dish - the rockfish with capers, olives, and artichokes! It never disappoints. There were a couple of very large groups the evening we went, so the noise level seemed higher than normally. However the large groups did not impact the service. It was excellent as always.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceHappyPatronDined on 7/19/2014Had dinner here before walking over to the November Theatre to see the Color Purple. Great place to dine! I had the half Crab Louie Salad and my friend had the Pear and Goat Cheese Salad with chicken...both were outstanding! Extra wonderful bonus was the valet parking. We were able to leave our vehicles in valet park until after the show. Restaurant staff and valet attendant were all very personable, nice and customer friendly. This is my new fave spot for dining, especially if seeing a show at the theater. So convenient!Special Features:
- A great findLaxTravelerDined on 7/18/2014Great menu, great wine selection, everything very fresh and lots of local favorites. We stumbled upon this gem and will come back next time we are in Richmond!Special Features:
- Great First ExperienceMangiabeneDined on 7/16/2014Knowledgeable, friendly service; alert, efficient management; clean, comfortable setting; well-prepared, fresh food. Will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tarrant's Cafe - OutstandingIlove2eat2Dined on 7/13/2014We were celebrating my sister-in-law's birthday. There were six people in our party. We saw a show beforehand so we were good and hungry. We were greeted promptly. Our table was waiting for us. Our waitress was awesome- she didn't miss a beat. We all enjoyed our food. I had the baked Jumbo Shrimp with spinach and cheese and a cup of She crab soup- exceptional. I took the apple walnut pie home with me. It made a great late night snack. I can't wait to go back again!Special Features:
- We enjoyed a wonderful brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/13/2014My wife and I both thoroughly enjoyed two different variations of eggs benedict, but there seemed to be a lot on great options on the menu.Special Features:
- Table with a View??OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/12/2014I don't know if it was because we went through OpenTable and not directly through Tarrants or why, but I made this reservation 2 weeks in advance and ended up right by the kitchen door! We were going before a play and it was a small party (only 3 of us) and I see no reason with the advance notice of 2 weeks that we couldn't have gotten a table somewhere nicer than the close up view of the kitchen. We were "treated" to extra heat because of the hot kitchen--when it was already a balmy 98 outside AND got to hear the constant loudness that goes with wait staff placing orders and asking for things needed! Before asking, NO, we did not ask to be moved--the restaurant was full and we did not want to wait longer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DaisyDined on 7/12/2014Enjoyed our dinner at Tarrant's, as always! Service was exceptional!Special Features:
- Great meal and serviceFoxdiningDined on 7/11/2014A friend recommended this great place for my birthday celebration dinner. We had an excellent meal and will definitely return again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FareAbbeyGirlDined on 7/11/2014I have always enjoyed my experience at Tarrant's. The menu is a bit pricey for more frequent visits but it is great for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful experience!iluvgoodfoodDined on 7/9/2014Have nothing negative to say about this wonderful place. Food was excellent, staff was excellent and atmosphere was excellent. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Absolutely perfect!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/8/2014Took my bosses there and it was a perfect night of food, service and celebrations. Thank you!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.