1 West Broad St.
Richmond, VA 23220Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.tarrantscaferva.com/
- Phone: (804) 225-0035
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday: 11:00am - 3:00pm, Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 5:00pm, Sunday: 10:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Pizzeria
- Executive Chef: Ted Santarella
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Featuring live music and DJ's. Check our Facebook page for more information.
- Special Events: For parties of more than 6, please call the restaurant to make a reservation.
A word from Tarrant's Cafe
Tarrant's Cafe is situated in the Richmond Old and Historic District. It was an important corner bringing drugstore services to nearby residents for over eighty years spanning the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. 130 years later this building is bringing neighborhood service to Richmond’s community with an upscale but affordable restaurant: Tarrants Cafe.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Tarrant's Cafe - Best Restaurants in Richmond ›
Tarrant's Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
200 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (115)neighborhood gem (107)special occasion (69)good for groups (63)great for lunch (61)great for brunch (57)hot spot (39)romantic (32)notable wine list (29)vibrant bar scene (26)late-night find (15)kid-friendly (11)Show More
- Busy night but they delivered!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/24/2014It was the busiest I have ever seen a restauraunt. They delivered a beautifully cooked steak, a wonderful cocktail and a dessert! Got to the James Taylor concert on time as wellSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good restaurant for supper before concert.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/24/2014Great fish tacos and Reuben sandwich. Service timely and friendly. Came here right before the James Taylor concert. Made for a great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud, profane patronOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/23/2014There was a very loud patron at the bar who used loud profanity--the worst kind--during a good portion of our time there. I was surprised that he was not asked to leave the restaurant. Other tables noticed this as well. It really detracted from our special celebration there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First DateOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/23/2014As this was our first date and he was coming in from Alexandria I wanted a local place that I knew had a great menu. As usual Tarrants did not disappoint. I ordered the She crab soup which I knew was excellent, My date tasted it and He loved it!!! A great way to have first date. Thank you Tarrants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/23/2014Everything was delicious and the service was wonderful. We were going to the theater and we were able to have lunch and get out in plenty of time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful spot for parents anniversary.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014Staff did a great job making my parents feel very special on their anniversary. My mother visited Tarrant's as a teenager in the 1940's, this visit was very personal to her.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Historical Ambiance, Great food, service & priceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014On line reservation system worked great. Service was flexible and attentaive. A variety of food was available. Our selections were great! An adequate list of locally brewed beer was available. Price was very reasonable. I would recommend Tarant's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special beyond wordsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/14/2014Absolutely unbelievable food. Everything made with care and skill. Seafood to die for, especially the she-crab soup. Pick anything for dinner, you can't go wrong. The wait-staff has been consistently spectacular each and every time I've been there. About a dozen times now. The menu is expensive, yes, but if you go for soup and salad--the most spectacular soup and salad you'll have had in a while--you can have a nice date night in the bag, without breaking the budget. That being said, it's hard to resist the entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great find while traveling in Richmond, VADateNightDinerDined on 11/14/2014The front desk at the downtown hotel we stayed at recommended this restaurant. We loved everything about it -- the atmosphere, decor, extensive menu. It was a very bustling place and the food smelled good when we walked in. My husband and I both enjoyed what we ordered and would definitely return to this restaurant when we return to Richmond.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yes to Tarrants!WorkingalDined on 11/10/2014Had a business lunch for 6. They gave us a great table and got us out on time. It was perfect. Parking worked out but only because we arrived at 11:45. Food terrific. Would use it again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Caught in the RushupndryDined on 11/8/2014Took my wife to Tarrant's Saturday night for our anniversary dinner. There was quite a theater crowd when we were seated, with understandable delays on first round of drinks, etc. Service was friendly and started well with timely delivery of app, salad, and soup. Things really slowed down from here, which was confusing as the theater crowd seemed to have thinned out. There were delays on drink refills and the entrees took quite some time to come out. My wife's steak was fine and my chicken marsala was ok, but not as hot temperature wise as I would like. Have had good experiences previously with lunch and dinner, so will try to avoid pre-theater hour in the future if we return.Special Features:
- AwesomeNayyDined on 11/8/2014First time at Tarrants. Will definitely go back. Went to dinner before the theatre. Good thing we made a reservation. The restaurant was packed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre Theatre DinnerDiverDebDined on 11/8/2014A girlfriend and I met here for lunch prior to the Broadway matinee performance of "House of Mormon". I was glad I had made reservations as it wasn't long before there was a line outside of the door. The lunch specials included a cup of crab soup and spinach salad, which I picked, however, there were many other tempting entrees. The salad was topped with walnuts, and overall was very tasty. I happened to sit at a table that was part of someone's training and she did a good job, although we had to ask for bread. Overall, definitely a place to return.Special Features:
- First Time for BrunchChaccofVIPDined on 11/8/2014Have been to Tarrant's a number of times but first time for brunch. It was terrific. If you go get the cinnamon roles instead of regular old bread...you'll be very happy.Special Features:
- Fun for BrunchBlairVIPDined on 11/8/2014We have enjoyed Tarrant's before and again we were not disappointed. Great atmosphere, food and service. Love the presentation and fun scene.Special Features:
- Friday Dinner OutFlynnDined on 11/7/2014Friendly wait staff. Great food! Generous portions.Special Features:
- Outstanding food, diverse menuWellDoneDined on 11/7/2014The flounder stuffed with crab in lobster caper sauce was incredible as was the crabcake with a half rack of ribs. Food was hot, perfectly cooked. The strawberry waffle with 3 scoops of vanilla and a bucket of whipped cream drizzled with strawberry sauce was huge and as good as it sounds. The real standout was the service: professional, attentive but not overbearing, and attractive. Go for the valet parking. If you opt for a lot around the corner, don't ignore the honor pay system. When we came out there was a group trying to find out how to retrieve their freshly towed car.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal before the playHokiedinerDined on 11/6/2014Food and service excellent. Dined with a group of 4, all our entrees were excellent, service was efficient. Want to go again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food Good ServiceNCTRAVELERDined on 11/5/2014Found Tarrants several years ago on Richomond top 5 list , have enjoyed yearly ever since. Good food, interesting and varied menu, good service nice atmosphereSpecial Features:
- Tarrant's always goodIkeKDined on 11/5/2014Dining is always a pleasure. Nice menu and wine list. Sometimes a bit noisy but overall very goodSpecial Features:
- Tarrant's Experience12punkinDined on 11/4/2014We have never been disappointed when we dine at Tarrant's. Food is excellent and the service is top notch. We always look forward to dinner at Tarrant's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a little offlauri1VIPDined on 11/2/2014A bit disappointed, hopefully just a glitch, but even though i was super hungry, the food wasn't as good as it usually is. The eggplant stack was not very good; it was served hot but the sauce was watery and tasteless; the salad was MEH. My friend's po'boy tacos were good. As usual, all the servers were so nice and friendly, but not as good as usual; they brought the entrees before the salads were finished. That is always a sign of inexperience and lower quality service. Maybe they were down a few servers or had some newbies. But my previous experience tells me to keep going back! Tarrant's is a GREAT PLACE!Special Features:
- Kids VisitOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014We had a terrific experience, a high energy group of employees and customers. Food overall was very good with the exception of the calamari (Very chewy) Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumRVAbornDined on 11/1/2014Always yummy! The fish tacos are marvelous. The sailor sandwich was piled high! Fried green tomatoes are yum! Every meal we have had at Tarrants has been great and the ambience is fun. It is so great to have valet service on a cold night! We love Tarrants!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GreatByronVIPDined on 10/31/2014Every time I travel through Richmond I stop at Tarrant's Cafe. The seafood is always so fresh. It is located in an old Pharmacy. The food and service is always consistent. The menu is full of choices for both lunch and dinner.Special Features:
- Pleasing but not exceptional...citivibeguy46Dined on 10/31/2014Tarrant's Cafe is a vibrant, Richmond landmark. There is a thoughtfully selected, well-priced wine selection. Our server was prompt, very courteous and did a great job on a very busy evening. While I was pleased with the overall dining experience, both my date and I found the food good not exceptional. Considering all the competition and Tarrant's pricing structure, this restaurant's food should be compelling enough that you wish to visit again and again and again. The entrees were satisfactory but the veggies were from the little shop of horrors. A slightly warmed vegetable medley combined with cabbage coleslaw tells me someone in the kitchen just wasn't thinking. Well-seasoned and oven roasted veggies would have been vastly superior.Special Features:
- love itOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/29/2014Always great food! The crabcake appetizer is amazing.Special Features:
- hits all the important buttonswburgerDined on 10/28/2014Our reservations were waiting; our server was kind, professional, and of good humor; the menu is large, the serving generous and the quality of the food is outstanding. Staging of our service was terrific and the experience was excellent.Special Features:
- Sat nightSatnightDined on 10/25/2014Likes the free Valet parking. Got right to our table when we arrived. Very good table locationSpecial Features:
- Good FoodDinner4twoDined on 10/24/2014Tarrant's Cafe was a good neighborhood gem. They have a wide range to select from on the menu, the food is very good and the sevice was great. We plan to make Tarrant's one of our return spot. I would recommend visiting Tarrant's Cafe and it is open until Mid-Night!Special Features:
- In Town for visit & conferenceCanadaHeyDined on 10/24/2014This restaurant was recommended to me by brother and his lovely wife ... I was thoroughly pleased with the attentive wait staff .... The fun bartenders shinning wine glasses was entertaining ... The food was delicious especially the she crab soup.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great locationMaureenDined on 10/23/2014First time to visit. Great Valet parking so we didn't have to worry about finding a place to park. From the minute you walked in the door, the service was excellent. A great, diverse menu and the food was wonderful. We will be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodRandallDined on 10/22/2014Tarrant's is one of our favorite destinations. We went this week because of Richmond Restaurant Week. It was great to see Tarrant's supporting this worthy cause. Four of us ordered off of the special menu for RRW which consisted of an appetizer, an entree and a dessert. The food was good but not great and not quite the level of Tarrant's usual menu. I hope they will continue to participate in RRW but give a little more effort to this food so that it meets their usual high standards.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousGoodEatsDined on 10/19/2014Tarrant's never disappoints....consistently good each time I visit. I had the seafood combo - broiled and my husband had the stuffed tilapia with crabmeat. It was not a romantic setting for our anniversary as it was very busy that night but we went for the food and we were happy with our meal:)Special Features:
- Fabulous!Catalyst009Dined on 10/19/2014Love the decor, ambiance, the food was amazing! The service was fabulous! This restaurant will become a favorite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy But GoodRangersDined on 10/18/2014Great rib eye, but not so good bbq ribs is our take on the entrees we tried. The bbq ribs suffered by being over seasoned. Sides with the steak were fresh and nicely prepared, but the slaw with the ribs was perfunctory at best. The sampler cannoli shells were hard and the filling dense, luckily relieved by the mound of whipped cream and half a strawberry on the plate. Ambience was compromised by closely packed tables and high noise levels (on a Saturday night).
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/18/2014Drinks had to be sent back. Waitress rushed our order. Food was ok.
- BEST she-crab soup around!diamondgroupVIPDined on 10/17/2014They have to have the BEST she crab soup anywhere! Very rich and delicious! Everything is very good and the rueben sandwiches are excellent. They are very busy most of the time so that's why I LOVE OpenTable! although we still had to wait 1/2 hour or more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A FAVORITE!uvadeltaDined on 10/17/2014In our opinion, Tarrant's never fails to provide a great meal! The servers are always friendly and helpful. We were extremely pleased to find the half-rack ribs added back to the Appetizers. On this particular occasion, our party was attending an event at Richmond Center Stage so the half-rack appetizer with coleslaw and risotto appetizer were ideal portions since we were not going straight home to refrigerate. We are looking forward to the opening on Tarrant's West onThree Chopt Road.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodRickVIPDined on 10/10/2014We had 7PM reservations on a Friday - as usual Tarrant's was packed with all walks of life. Tarrant's has a huge menu, but is able to produce consistently excellent food. While entrees appear a tad pricey, they include either a nice portion of soup or salad. Tarrant's does a fine job with seafood; I had the snapper special while my wife had scallops and shrimp. Portions were large and delicious. Our server was outstanding. This is an excellent option before or after an event at Richmond Center Stage.Special Features: