1 West Broad St.
Richmond, VA 23220Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.tarrantscaferva.com/
- Phone: 8042250035
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday: 11:00am - 3:00pm, Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 5:00pm, Sunday: 10:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Pizzeria
- Executive Chef: Ted Santarella
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Featuring live music and DJ's. Check our Facebook page for more information.
- Special Events: For parties of more than 6, please call the restaurant to make a reservation.
A word from Tarrant's Cafe
Tarrant's Cafe is situated in the Richmond Old and Historic District. It was an important corner bringing drugstore services to nearby residents for over eighty years spanning the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. 130 years later this building is bringing neighborhood service to Richmond’s community with an upscale but affordable restaurant: Tarrants Cafe.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Tarrant's Cafe - Best Restaurants in Richmond ›
Tarrant's Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
157 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (84)neighborhood gem (84)special occasion (62)great for lunch (54)good for groups (51)great for brunch (49)hot spot (31)romantic (27)notable wine list (23)vibrant bar scene (16)kid-friendly (15)late-night find (12)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great locationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/23/2014First time to visit. Great Valet parking so we didn't have to worry about finding a place to park. From the minute you walked in the door, the service was excellent. A great, diverse menu and the food was wonderful. We will be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodRandallDined on 10/22/2014Tarrant's is one of our favorite destinations. We went this week because of Richmond Restaurant Week. It was great to see Tarrant's supporting this worthy cause. Four of us ordered off of the special menu for RRW which consisted of an appetizer, an entree and a dessert. The food was good but not great and not quite the level of Tarrant's usual menu. I hope they will continue to participate in RRW but give a little more effort to this food so that it meets their usual high standards.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousGoodEatsDined on 10/19/2014Tarrant's never disappoints....consistently good each time I visit. I had the seafood combo - broiled and my husband had the stuffed tilapia with crabmeat. It was not a romantic setting for our anniversary as it was very busy that night but we went for the food and we were happy with our meal:)Special Features:
- Fabulous!Catalyst009Dined on 10/19/2014Love the decor, ambiance, the food was amazing! The service was fabulous! This restaurant will become a favorite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy But GoodRangersDined on 10/18/2014Great rib eye, but not so good bbq ribs is our take on the entrees we tried. The bbq ribs suffered by being over seasoned. Sides with the steak were fresh and nicely prepared, but the slaw with the ribs was perfunctory at best. The sampler cannoli shells were hard and the filling dense, luckily relieved by the mound of whipped cream and half a strawberry on the plate. Ambience was compromised by closely packed tables and high noise levels (on a Saturday night).
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/18/2014Drinks had to be sent back. Waitress rushed our order. Food was ok.
- BEST she-crab soup around!diamondgroupVIPDined on 10/17/2014They have to have the BEST she crab soup anywhere! Very rich and delicious! Everything is very good and the rueben sandwiches are excellent. They are very busy most of the time so that's why I LOVE OpenTable! although we still had to wait 1/2 hour or more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A FAVORITE!uvadeltaDined on 10/17/2014In our opinion, Tarrant's never fails to provide a great meal! The servers are always friendly and helpful. We were extremely pleased to find the half-rack ribs added back to the Appetizers. On this particular occasion, our party was attending an event at Richmond Center Stage so the half-rack appetizer with coleslaw and risotto appetizer were ideal portions since we were not going straight home to refrigerate. We are looking forward to the opening on Tarrant's West onThree Chopt Road.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodRickVIPDined on 10/10/2014We had 7PM reservations on a Friday - as usual Tarrant's was packed with all walks of life. Tarrant's has a huge menu, but is able to produce consistently excellent food. While entrees appear a tad pricey, they include either a nice portion of soup or salad. Tarrant's does a fine job with seafood; I had the snapper special while my wife had scallops and shrimp. Portions were large and delicious. Our server was outstanding. This is an excellent option before or after an event at Richmond Center Stage.Special Features:
- UnexpectedCharlieDined on 10/8/2014Nice little place with attentive staff and good food. Very rich so keep that in mind when ordering.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One Little Nit to PickChaccofVIPDined on 10/3/2014We always enjoy Tarrants. This visit however, a table side magician stopped by and honestly I was surprised Tarrants would allow that and a bit annoyed. I get that there's no "charge" but donations are requested. Just don't like to be hit up like that table side.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DavidDined on 10/3/2014Had the worse dinning experience since moving to Richmond a year ago. Ordered an appetizer and drinks to start. When the appetizer was brought to the table, our salad and soup arrived minutes later. We sent it back to the kitchen so we could enjoy our appetizer. Then when the salad and soup arrived, our entrees arrived minutes later. We also sent it back to the kitchen. When we were served our entrees, it was obvious that they sat under a heat lamp - the fish entree was dry and our pasta dish was "swimming in oil". Then to top it all off as we were paying for our meal, the staff delivered a misc. entree to our table. Really felt that for the money, the quality of food and service was not what one would expect from the restaurant.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014A great downtown restaurant with a menu based on catering to different taste to include seafood, chicken, beef and wonderful salad selections. To die for chicken & waffles. Convenient place for dinner before the theater as well as those seeking a leisure lunch. Good food and great service. I highly recommend this trendy spot!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday night with Hank and DebHankVIPDined on 9/27/2014We had a reservation but took the first available table and got to watch the kitchen first hand. Kinda like the chef's table with the team at full speed. The food was great and portions large. I had been there four times in the past and it was my wife's first time. She loved the Ahi Tuna. I had Blackened Rockfish and Oyster P'o Boy Tacos. I always love the food. They could use more wines by the glass.Special Features:
- Food never disappoints!Lv2eatDined on 9/27/2014Recently two friends and I had dinner at Tarrant's. I was impressed with the varied menu right away. We enjoyed a delicious crab dip before our entrees. My friends ordered fish and I had steak. We all agreed thar the food was perfectly cooked. I have eaten here several times and it never disappoints!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always enjoy Tarrant's Cafe!MugwumpDined on 9/25/2014A huge menu, great wine and beer selection, and have always had great service.Special Features:
- GeneDined on 9/20/2014We had a terrific evening! Everything was perfect..........................................................................Special Features:
- Dinner at TarrantsTJ142Dined on 9/19/2014fun evening, vibrant scene, service was terrific, valet parking a big plusSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AlbertDined on 9/19/2014It is our go-to place. Never had a bad meal or bad service. Always a friendly staff doing their best to enhance the experience.Special Features:
- Always a great placelauri1VIPDined on 9/18/2014our server was fantastic. She was funny and happy and compounded the already great dining experience! Po'boy tacos for my friend and eggplant stack for me --both were perfection! then a creme brûlée --yum! this place never disappoints, and is in such a great location--just across from the playhouse!Special Features:
- Excellent meal!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014We are "foodies" who found this restaurant to be Excellent! Probably the best meal we've had north of New Orleans. The dishes were fresh, flavorful and inventive, and the service was excellent. We would highly recommend this restaurant to our family and friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect lunch spotamyzzonDined on 8/28/2014I've been in several times for lunch - sometimes in a time crunch, but this time for a leisurely meal with a friend. The service was fantastic, and the food was delicious as usual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needing more gluten free itemsGhenqDined on 8/25/2014Other all, the Restuarant earned an 8 from me. I was a bit disappointed with the gluten free menu, not much of a variety for special dietary needs. 5-6 entrees and most was shellfish which I am allergic to.. I ordered the Mahi Mahi fish taco, which was a bit dry and plain brown rice...the best thing was the salad,black beans and the bread which I wasn't suppose to eat. The waitress was very attentive and we were seated right away with our openable reservation. The portion was very large and most of my party of 6 had food to go! My group also liked the ideal of valet parking!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014Enjoyed the atmosphere and the food was very delicious. Made reservation and no problem didn't have to wait. Great place for a group of people to enjoy and relax.Special Features:
- Fun, romantic placeGwynn400Dined on 8/23/2014We had decided to go to Tarrant's based on online recommendations that were then solidified by friends in Chester. The restaurant was crowded, but the noise level was low enough to hear my wife. I had a special (monk fish marsala) which was excellent. My wife had the Filet, in a mushroom marsala, which she enjoyed very much. The wine list was great, with prices that were very reasonable. I would definitely recommend this place for a romantic couple or a small group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/18/2014Was a little disappointed- had made a reservation several days in advance and our party of five was placed at a four top booth with a chair at the end. A little too crowded for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Nice lunchLabratDined on 8/18/2014Very pleasant person took us to seats. Waitress was also very pleasant and competent. Good selection of beers, good menu selection. Food came promptly and was excellent. Table was located at back of restaurant and while there was some noise, we could have a normal conversation. An excellent restaurant.Special Features:
- First time, it was very goodBosox406VIPDined on 8/17/2014We had brunch here and it was great. I think it is very cool that they kept the old drug store theme. We will be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/16/2014The menu is very expansive but has no real point of view. The food is average without anything outstandingl. It is a very busy place on a Saturday night. The servers made multiple errors and, although we ordered wine when we got our main courses, we did not receive it until we were almost done with the main course.
- highly recommendchachaDined on 8/13/2014Overall, I would highly recommend. HOwever, there is room for improvement. The martinis were excellent but could be bigger (even if they had to charge more). The fried green tomatoes were good but somewhat over breaded; same for the crab cakes which was a pretty big disappointment. The service was excellent, and the kitchen was very accommodating on substitutions. Very warm and friendly atmosphere. They really want to please.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tarrant'sHappyDinerDined on 8/13/2014This is our go-to place for a special meal with friends. The menu is varied, with something for everyone. The food is always well prepared, and service is outstanding.Special Features:
- Something for everyone!NightoutonthetownDined on 8/13/2014You can't go wrong at Tarrant's. They have an extensive menu with something to please everyone, even the kids. I have never had a bad meal at Tarrant's. Whether you want to splurge on a nice piece of fish or have a sandwich or appetizer, their food is always fresh and delicious. I love the old building and ambiance. A favorite with friends, Mother's Day, an out of town guest, or the morning after a night out - delivered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- She-crab soup & pastrami -amazing!gkelly22Dined on 8/10/2014Went to Tarrants before heading across the street to the Virginia Repertory Theatre. The restaurant was busy, but we had made reservations. We were promptly seated. The waiter was terrific - attentive, but not annoying. The food was amazing - the soup was super-hot and delicious. The pastrami was better than any deli that I've been to. Coffee was also delicious and hot. Great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodcarlDined on 8/7/2014Great food, rose to the challange of catering for son will nut and egg allergies, making him some egg free meatballs.Special Features:
- Great Food but....TicktockmanDined on 8/7/2014This is our usual choice for special occasions and business lunches. The food is always great. However, we were disappointed with their lack of organization this evening. Even with a reservation, we didn't get seated until 40 minutes later. We hen we did finally get seated, they tried to place our party of 5 in a small booth that barely fit 4. I would have expected some sort of apology but that didn't happen. So maybe we will try another venue next time we have more than 4. Too bad....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tennisgalDined on 8/5/2014The food was great and would come again and recommend to friends!! Desserts were huge and some of best that I have ever had. Good vegetarian and vegan options , specially made a dessert without egg wash. Service was personable, warm , and very good.Special Features:
- Another Winning Meal at Tarrant'sglfwthuDined on 8/3/2014Enjoyed Brunch at Tarrant's this past Sunday. Food was delicious, served hot and great service. Highly recommend this establishment.Special Features:
- DRYEEZDined on 8/2/2014Third time to eat there. Very good food and the wait staff were great. Very busy on the Saturday night we were there and the noise level was high enough to make conversation a challenge.
- Oh no!NotapickyeaterDined on 8/2/2014I love the ambience and the decor, and the service was great, but was extremely disappointed that for $30 we got crab cakes that were deep fried! They were what you would expect from the frozen food section at the grocery store. My date had to burrow the crab out of the fried shell. I got a half Greek salad that was quite small and lacking in content for $8. I have had a few good meals there in the past but now must conclude that it's overpriced for what it is -- a cool neighborhood burger place. Love the atmosphere though!
- ALWAYS GOOD!uvadeltaDined on 8/2/2014Since discovering Tarrants some years ago, it has remained one of my favorite eating places in Richmond. The staff is friendly and the food is worth every penny. Owner Ted can be found walking through and holding conversations with patrons. It is obvious the entire staff takes ownership and pride in the great service and food.Special Features: