2999 Salinas Hwy
Monterey, CA 93940Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.tarpys.com/
- Phone: 8316471444x
- Hours of Operation:
LUNCH~ Daily from 11:30
DINNER~Daily from 4:00
SUNDAY BRUNCH~ 11:30-3:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Michael Kimmel
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
As a Full Service Caterer we can handle the details of your event, including finding a location, contracting with florists, bakeries, photography & video experts, musicians and lodging. Think of us as your own personal concierge! We will help you create an event that will be remembered favorably and you will totally enjoy!
- Private Party Facilities: Tarpy’s Roadhouse offers a full-service banquet department. There are 3 private rooms as well as 3 semi-private rooms to choose from when planning your special event or function. Some rooms are subject to a room fee. We also have available the latest Multi-Media tools to add polish to your event.
- Private Party Contact: Corinne 8316552999x
A word from Tarpy's Roadhouse
Relax in this 1917 Roadhouse and enjoy creative, Five Star American Country Cuisine. The wood-burning grill provides wonderful flavors for wild game, the freshest seafood and prime steaks. Set on five landscaped acres, the patios and extensive gardens provide a refreshing backdrop for hearty sandwiches, vegetarian entrees and tempting salads. This restaurant in Monterey has seven private and semi-private rooms available for banquets, meetings and celebrations. The full bar, award-winning wine list and knowledgeable professional service ensure a terrific dining experience. Reservations are recommended. Tarpy's also offers affordable full-service, off-site catering.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Tarpy's Roadhouse - Best Restaurants in Monterey ›
Tarpy's Roadhouse reviews from OpenTable diners
134 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (88)special occasion (74)fit for foodies (70)great for lunch (63)good for groups (58)romantic (50)neighborhood gem (35)great for brunch (31)notable wine list (31)kid-friendly (26)hot spot (15)vibrant bar scene (14)scenic view (8)late-night find (4)Show More
- Nice SurpriseSirLoinofBeefDined on 8/30/2014I never expected a "roadhouse" to be so special. Great outdoor dining and excellent food with a roadhouse cajun feel. Off the beaten path of Monterey but well worth the 10 minute drive. I'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family night outOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2014We were a party of 16 for a 75 th birthday party. First part of the evening service was excellent. As the night went on we must of lost the staff. Too long to get dessert and to get the bill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Son's BirthdayBRexDined on 8/29/2014Ttoughout the years Tarpys has proven to consistant in great food, service and atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014The service and staff were really nice. The wine was excellent and 3 out of 4 or our meals were great. Unfortunately, one of our guests ordered the duck, and it was terrible. This was disappointing b/c we have had the duck before and it was just fine. Very disappointed with this. When the meal was replaced with the halibet it was better, but again, a portion of the fish was slightly burned. The other 3 meals were very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dinner OutahchicoDined on 8/23/2014Food was great, service even better, and getting a table for 6 was easy on a Saturday night! Kids meals were huge! Well worth their $7Special Features:
- Definitely kicked up a notchFoodiewifeDined on 8/23/2014Hearing that Todd Fisher is now the Executive Chef, we wanted to check out his revised menu. I thought that the menu was creative, with something for everyone. I ordered the Maple Brined pork chop which was char grilled to perfection, and I loved the corn "grits" and liked the roasted cauliflower. My husband ordered the "last" Halibut, but he swore it looked just like the Mahi Mahi special he saw other diners order. I have to say his dinner plate didn't look very stellar-- the veggies in particular looked like diner vegetables. He had food envy over mine. We each ordered a beer and the total tab was $80.00 for two, with 20% tip-- out waiter was professional & food delivery was fast. everything is ala carte, so it's a bit pricey.Special Features:
- Not quite what I expected...dagmar311Dined on 8/23/2014I have used Tarpy's numerous times as one of my special occassion places over the years. This experience was surprising. The menu has changed significantly, which was a dissappointment. The food we did order was good and pleasantly presented. We had brought over a couple bottles of wine from Ventana tasting room next door (no corkage if you do that) and we had to ask for an ice bucket to keep the white wine cold. Our server (I don't know the name because he never introduced himself) clearly didn't want to be there. Bad attitude when he wasn't ingoring us completely. The manager tried to save the day with a free round of drinks and apologies, but the damage was done. Get the service back up to standards! It's what made this place special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DrMikeVIPDined on 8/22/2014Food was fabulous. service was unlike previous experiences there. The waiter was very interested in the two blonds next to us and seemed to care little about the other patrons. Had to repeatedly ask for water and he got my order wrong. Very disappointing service.Special Features:
- M from MontereymontereylocalDined on 8/22/2014A great place with delicious food, outstanding wine list and interesting cocktails. Lovely grounds, you won't even miss an ocean view here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tarpy's Used to be my FavoritenomnomnomDined on 8/16/2014Tarpy's used to be my favorite restaurant on the Monterey Peninsula. I go there every time I'm in town. We went this weekend and the food has dramatically dropped off. We spoke to a friend that had the same experience a few days before. I believe they are under new ownership and have a new chef. The food was bland and uninspired. Even the most basic dishes like the fried calamari that used to be so good has changed from tentacles and rings to cut up calamari steaks. I'm so sad. Where will I go now? I hope the same thing hasn't happened to The Rio Grill.Special Features:
- Great service during a very busy ntDuhutchieDined on 8/16/2014Chris our waiter performed very very well. Continually checking on us and managing our orders the best he could. Food was great. Recommended desserts were fantastic. See u next year!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Annual favoriteCargirlDined on 8/16/2014We have been coming to Tarpy's for years after the Laguna Seca races. Great food and good service as always.Special Features:
- Excellent service, food and drinkOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/16/2014Perfect dining experience...our waiter remembered me from dining there before. He didn't rush us and was there when we needed him....what a great waiter!Special Features:
- poor service mediocre foodtimetodineVIPDined on 8/15/2014This place is in a beautiful stone building, but the accolades end there. The food is over salted. My reaction to the food--a bad headache and tongue swelling suggests that there is MSG in use in the kitchen. The service was terrible when I brought my husband here for a special birthday celebration. The event was noted in the reservation and completely ignored. We had a small terrible stuck on a corner of a walkway so we had constant traffic. Our drinks came during the entrees, the salad was never served, the salty sauce that is put on one of the dishes was requested to be served on the side--it was not on the side but drenched the meat. My mention of this to the hostess got a "sorry."
- Tarpy's Rocks!!cupcake17Dined on 8/15/2014Totally awesome restaurant. Highly recommend to anyone looking for great food and spectacular service. We have been going to Tarpy's for nearly 30 years and have never been disappointed.Special Features:
- Consistently good foodOccasionalDinerDined on 8/14/2014Tarpy's Roadhouse is consistently good. The wait staff is attentive but not intrusive. The menu is varied but limited. They know what they do well, and don't pretend otherwise. This was a particularly busy evening due to the influx of Concours d'elegance attendees. The restaurant handled it well. The only glitch in service was the fact that the main course plates arrived too early; we had only received our salads a few minutes prior. Since we were easy, we just moved salads to the side, and worked on both at the same time. It was a nice evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Didn't disappoint!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/13/2014I used to live in Monterey and made the reservation based on Tarpy's from many years ago! It didn't disappoint - in fact, it was better than I remembered! I had friends that had never been to MOnterey and wanted a really good experience - they loved Tarpy's and thought is was great!Special Features:
- Consistently excellentMikeTVIPDined on 8/12/2014You can rely on Tarry ' for charming ambiance and excellent food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!RebelfemmeDined on 8/10/2014We happened upon this place several years ago while on vacation. We remembered our dining experience so fondly that we went out of our way to make sure we could dine there this year while we were vacationing in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/6/2014The restaurant looks good, has good service, good food and easy to get to and good parking. Jivio !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tarpy's masters a difficult taskCarmelMontereyloverDined on 8/2/2014Restaraunts that have had some longevity face a difficult task when they have been around long enough to be considered a "classic". How much does a restaraunt honor its' most popular dishes while at the same time changes enough to not only be relevant, but ahead of the curve. Tarpys Roadhouse, which I have been going to for 20 years does this pretty well. It is set in a beautiful location, with one of the most welcoming and beautiful outdoor dining patios in the Monterey area. It has a couple of private dining rooms, and the surrounding grounds have been used for weddings. The service is consistently attentive, and you can bring your pooch too if you dine outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodRicemanDined on 8/1/2014The food was delicious. It's not quiet but definitely not loud there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jonbehr@charter.netJonbehrDined on 7/27/2014Great site,very charming building and grounds.friendly and professional staff.food was excellent.all around a great dining experience.looking forward to coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for foodies at any priceJason7fromScotchPlainsVIPDined on 7/24/2014Outstanding diverse menu. A must if you are in the Monterey. Thankfully nowhere near Fisherman's Wharf or Cannery Row.Special Features:
- Great lunchKenBDined on 7/24/2014Our lunch was great. The food & service were outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent qualityJoanneDined on 7/23/2014I've been to Tarpy's many times and have always enjoyed the food and the service. It's a great place to meet for lunch or dinner. I highly recommend it. Lovely atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good choiceJayjayDined on 7/18/2014First time there. Loved it. Definitely coming backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous New MenucinnyminnylouDined on 7/16/2014Went to Tarpys twice in the last month. The new menu has some stellar items. I had the Scallops with Cauliflower and Bacon. It was amazing. I also enjoyed this week's "Wine down Wednesdays". That night, there was a representative from a Santa Barbara area winery, and you were able taste for their wines for free and then order a glass of it for dinner at a very low price. Great program.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food.....Bad ServicelocaldinerDined on 7/14/2014Went there with my husband to celebrate our wedding anniversary. Food was excellent, but our server was horrible. They forgot our appetizer, had to repeatedly ask for items such as water or an extra napkin, and messed up on our anniversary dessert celebration. My mom called and asked for us to be offered dessert paid for by her, but the server didn't tell us until after we had ordered on our own. We then had to wait for over 20 minutes for creme brulee and an ice cream sundae, all while our coffee got cold while we waited. Very disappointing. The server kept blaming the kitchen and "new staff." We weren't convinced. Again, the food was outstanding, but we were disappointed with the lack of service for such a nice restaurant.Special Features:
- Wonderful dining experiancecricketscaboodleDined on 7/12/2014For our son's 25th birthday we took him out to dinner here. The table was set up for someone special, the dinner was delicious and the wait staff very attentive! Jorge our main waiter was friendly, and suggested some very nice wine to go with our meal.Special Features:
- Love Chef Todd's new menu items!LuvMontereyDined on 7/11/2014We had a fabulous evening with our family....great food and it was fun trying a variety of the drink choices! Our waiter was very friendly and made great suggestions!!I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVED MEETING THE NEW CHEF!CentralCoastDiningDined on 7/11/2014The menu changes are definitely wonderful and provide a fresh update to Tarpy's excellent reputation. I do wish they would bring back the fried green beans appetizer :) but love the new selections as well. During our lunch the Chef came out to greet diners - a real treat!Special Features:
- FABULOUS DINNER!FoodieVIPDined on 7/6/2014As a local, this is one of the best local spots in Monterey. The food is always fantastic! I had the Prawn Pasta and it is one of the best I've had (served with a Penne Pasta and shrimp was cooked perfectly!). My son had the Salmon with Cauliflower and rice and ate every single on his plate. Finished with an Ollalaberry Pie (heated) ala mode - (we shared). Only disappointment is I was charged an extra $2.00 for the ice cream, whereas the Apple Pie came with the ice cream at no extra charge... :-(Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!pugLoversDined on 7/2/2014We had a wonderful time dining at Tarpy's. Good food, nice atmosphere, and service so good, regulars went out of there way to seek out and greet favorite servers when they entered. The bar is bustling and can get loud while other rooms are quieter and more intimate, and theres a very nice patio we'll have to enjoy one day soon.Special Features:
- lovewine412Dined on 6/29/2014great food we ate there 4 times while we were in Carmel/Monterey. the Sunday brunch is excellent.Special Features:
- Good stuffMyReviewDined on 6/28/2014The new menu additions rock, loved the Kobe burger with lobster and the scallops with Bakers Bacon was awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/25/2014Good food and wine. It was our 20 wedding anniversary and the restaurant had a small bouquet of balloons on the table for us. Outside was beautiful with flowers and pond. Seemed as though it's a regular spot for locals. Food was good. Service slow. Although the waitress acknowledged that we waited it still puts a damper on what's to be a night out with no kids. Don't like having to ask for bread and water. Had the busboy/waitress got bread and water on the table quicker without us asking it would have helped.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FeedmewellVIPDined on 6/25/2014We hadn't been to Tarpy's for years, as it seemed touristy and just okay back then. What a lovely change. We went on a night that wine tasting was featured. Not only was that fun, but the meal and service were very good. Chef Todd Smith seems to have changed things in a dramatic way. Waiter Wendi served us well, as did the young tall man who seated us and got the wine going.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always worth the trip...PapaLionDined on 6/19/2014Simple review - exactly what a promised and even a last minute (I'm good for that) change in party size was easily and enthusiastically accommodated. I get to Monterey three to four times a year and I still make it a point to stop by here for at least one of my meals....Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/13/2014One of the best places in the area...everything, the food,service, ambiance consistently wonderful! We come here every time we are visiting this part of the coast and it never fails to satisfy...just great!Special Features: