2999 Salinas Hwy
Monterey, CA 93940Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.tarpys.com/
- Phone: 8316471444x
- Hours of Operation:
LUNCH~ Daily from 11:30
DINNER~Daily from 4:00
SUNDAY BRUNCH~ 11:30-3:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Michael Kimmel
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
As a Full Service Caterer we can handle the details of your event, including finding a location, contracting with florists, bakeries, photography & video experts, musicians and lodging. Think of us as your own personal concierge! We will help you create an event that will be remembered favorably and you will totally enjoy!
- Private Party Facilities: Tarpy’s Roadhouse offers a full-service banquet department. There are 3 private rooms as well as 3 semi-private rooms to choose from when planning your special event or function. Some rooms are subject to a room fee. We also have available the latest Multi-Media tools to add polish to your event.
- Private Party Contact: Corinne 8316552999x
A word from Tarpy's Roadhouse
Relax in this 1917 Roadhouse and enjoy creative, Five Star American Country Cuisine. The wood-burning grill provides wonderful flavors for wild game, the freshest seafood and prime steaks. Set on five landscaped acres, the patios and extensive gardens provide a refreshing backdrop for hearty sandwiches, vegetarian entrees and tempting salads. This restaurant in Monterey has seven private and semi-private rooms available for banquets, meetings and celebrations. The full bar, award-winning wine list and knowledgeable professional service ensure a terrific dining experience. Reservations are recommended. Tarpy's also offers affordable full-service, off-site catering.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Tarpy's Roadhouse - Best Restaurants in Monterey ›
Tarpy's Roadhouse reviews from OpenTable diners
142 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (98)fit for foodies (77)special occasion (75)great for lunch (62)good for groups (61)romantic (52)neighborhood gem (43)notable wine list (38)great for brunch (28)kid-friendly (26)hot spot (19)vibrant bar scene (16)late-night find (11)scenic view (9)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/22/2014Grits forever and where else would you get deviled eggs from heaven !!! However if you want to hold a conversation ask for a table AWAY from the BAR!!Special Features:
- AmazedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/18/2014First off I don't know of any place that charges different prices then on the menu. When I received the check I was charged an extra $3 for my cocktails and when I inquired I was told that tonic water was not included with my gin. I can honestly say that that statement from my waiter almost blew me away as much as the next issue. My girlfriend ordered a salad with shrimp for $9 extra. When perusing the bill I saw a charge for $12 for shrimp. The waiter again broke the news that Tarpy's charges $3 per shrimp. The menu states add shrimp for $9, however since he asked my girlfriend if 4 shrimp were ok then it was $12. This place will rip you off if ur not careful. Save your money and eat at home or try The Market Mediterranean restaurant .
- Great place to go in SalinasSalinasFoodieDined on 10/14/2014Tarpy's has always come through with their menu and service. Great location...still in Salinas but feels like you're not in Salinas! Food is always good. Ordered the special Caprese Salad which I had made into a dinner by adding some grilled shrimp. Was very tasty and filling. Was a perfect late dinner choice.Special Features:
- Great place!Beachgirl9999VIPDined on 10/11/2014We were pleasantly surprised! We expected a bar/grill type of place. Instead it is huge and has many dining rooms and outside seating. Food was excellent! The ribs were very good! Only need a half of rack! A little noisy if there are big groups near you. Would def go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice eveningRickDined on 10/11/2014Good vibe. Good food. Interesting menu. The server bringing the entrees when we were still consuming the appetizers was the only flaw.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- twinklesDined on 10/10/2014Even though our party was late for our reservation, the staff was courteous and accomodating. The food was delicious and service impeccable.Special Features:
- Consistently great comfort foodMcCallDined on 10/8/2014We visit Tarpys at least twice a year when we visit visit Carmel and we always love it. The meatloaf is definitely five stars. Other menu selections are very well done and the portions are quite substantial. The bartender does a great job with cocktails and the wine list is very nice. What's not to like? The restaurant seems to accommodate a number of large groups. Given the stone construction, that makes for a noisy room, but that's not a problem unless you are expecting quiet and romantic, which is not the feature of this restaurant. In good weather, there is plenty of outdoor seating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- looking4newplacesDined on 10/7/2014I have been there several times and it is still my favorite restaurant in Monterey.
- Dinner with my wife's familyalwyssunyDined on 10/6/2014My relatives from Sunrise Beach, Mo and my wife and I came to Tarpy's for an early dinner . My wife and I hadn't been here for several months and were pleasantly surprised with the remodeling. We were greeted warmly and seated promptly. Our waiter came quickly also and gave us menus and came back in a few minutes to take our order. My wife chose the half rack of ribs and I selected the ravioli with chicken and mushroom in a tomato bisque and an appetizer to share with my guests. They ordered small plate ribs which came with a lettuce wedge and small plate chicken dish. Service was excellent and not hurried. The food was tasty and seasoned perfectly. We shared a bottle of Rose' wine. and had a good time catching up and eating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet EveningwebediningDined on 10/4/2014Outside dining was wonderful on a Saturday evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Richard A.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/4/2014Everything was great. I appreciate the balloons and the free dessert for our special occasion. I will recommend Tarpy's to all of my friends. Thank you for a memorable evening!Special Features:
- Don't Let "Roadhouse" Name Fool YoumikeDined on 10/3/2014This restaurant is anything but a roadhouse. Great menu, great food, excellent service. We had a very enjoyable evening. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local FlairMcYumDined on 10/3/2014Good food in a nice setting, outside courtyard dining availableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Late LunchdaninpdDined on 9/28/2014Late lunch with an old bottle of Ridge Monte Bello. Our server trotted out a decanter, we ordered a bottle of Morgan Sauvignon Blanc to go with the oysters and calamari and the afternoon became one smooth ride of good food and good wine. Delightful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific late lunchCCMomVIPDined on 9/28/2014On our way from Monterey to Santa Cruz , we stopped at Tarpys and enjoyed an excellent mid afternoon meal on the beautiful patio. The food was local and delicious. Our waiter Alfredo guided us to excellent choices -- including 4-sample beer flight, salmon pasta, caprese salad and desserts of mango sorbet and luscious ollalieberry pie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great Sunday brunch placeJoeBDined on 9/28/2014wonderful place with great food and great service, Chef Todd Fisher recently joined the staff from Pebble Beach's Sticks restaurant and added great items to the menu.Special Features:
- Fantastic!LuvgoodfoodDined on 9/27/2014Food, service, ambiance was fantastic. Best vanilla bean creme brûlée we've had. Server and chef went above and beyond to deal with my food allergy and this was the best meal I've had since we were in Europe a few years ago. We will be back when in the area again.Special Features:
- No longer my favorite placeMavenDined on 9/27/2014Service slow and inconsistent. Impossible to get anyone's attention if something was needed at the table. Food was unremarkable. I think the Heirloom tomatoes had been refrigerated, a big no-no, as they were tasteless and cold. The calamari was oily and under cooked. After years of impeccable service and delicious food this is very disappointing. If this were the first or only time we have been disappointed here I would say, " Maybe they were having a bad day". However, this is the third time it has happened in our last five visits so I think something has changed and not for the better.
- A Neighborhood GemFinkDined on 9/21/2014We went down for my 55th birthday and for a nice romantic weekend. Had no ideal for dinner and was told about Tarpy's Roadhouse from the front desk. Was thinking Roadhouse it will be just OK food and service. Boy we were we wrong. The food was just outstanding. I had the duck and my wife had the swordfish and both dishes were perfect. They had a very nice wine list and we had the apple tart for dessert. The service was very good she could have been a bit more friendly. We sat outside and the lights in the trees made you feel like you were in the forest. We be back the next time be are back in the Monterey Carmel area.Special Features:
- MenuSteveDined on 9/19/2014I guess a new chef, a change in the menu, some items which have been favorites for alot of years off the menu, raw oysters served without any hot sauce or horse radish Not the same but hope it will get back its mojo Will try agin to seeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great food!CentralCoastDiningVIPDined on 9/15/2014The new items on the menu are tempting! I loved the kale, yum, and the shrimp and grits, extra yum. We tried the grits and cream - OMG - delicious - and the special heirloom tomato and mozzarella salad too. So good. The drinks were very, very good too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood spotMaryVIPDined on 9/12/2014Great service Noisy and very popular Great specialsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Sophisticated "Roadhouse"ROBOTMEISTERVIPDined on 9/11/2014Somewhat difficult to find at night, just past the Monterey Airport on HWY 68, look carefully and you'll see the Tarpy's Roadhouse sign. This is a large and beautiful building in and out. The reviews I saw were moderate but we found the food & service first rate! My roasted Berkshire pork chop was perfectly cooked and my wife's Sirloin steak (normally a tougher cut )was tender with a perfect hot pink center.Special Features:
- milkmanVIPDined on 9/11/2014Great food and service. Sat outside in a quiet hallway for a nice dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- REALLY ???5StardinerDined on 9/6/2014We each ordered full entrees. Waitress suggested the Special Heirloom Tomato Salad-I said yes I'll have one-hubby says no thanks. Waitress says 'oh I can split it so you can taste -its delicious' - we say fine. The bill comes and Waitress has charged our bill with a split charge of $2. on to the $14.00 Special Heirloom Tomato Salad. REALLY ?????Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Tarpys, nuff said! :)OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/6/2014Tarpys never disappoints, they always deliver a perfect dining experience. One of my top 10 fave area restaurants. Wendy is the best server!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!FoodlvrDined on 9/6/2014Food was amazing, service was great, we had a great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- know your hostessOldFashionedDined on 9/4/2014First the parking is limited. I am handicapped and walk with a cane (I noted that in my reservation) when we arrived two women pushed ahead of us and the hostess even after seeing me leaning did not ask if anyone had reservations- when she came back from seating those two she took two other who "had been waiting". So why make a reservation? Does the hostess think a cane is decor? Food was good service to table was great and the rhubarb apple pie great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- running lateeatingoutDined on 8/31/2014We were running late because of traffic, and they accommodated us and got us to the wedding on time, without veering from great service and a wonderful meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice SurpriseSirLoinofBeefDined on 8/30/2014I never expected a "roadhouse" to be so special. Great outdoor dining and excellent food with a roadhouse cajun feel. Off the beaten path of Monterey but well worth the 10 minute drive. I'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family night outBrendaDined on 8/30/2014We were a party of 16 for a 75 th birthday party. First part of the evening service was excellent. As the night went on we must of lost the staff. Too long to get dessert and to get the bill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Sunday BrunchEJElDoradoHillsDined on 8/30/2014Loved the Lobster Eggs Benedict I had Labor Day weekend. Really different but outstanding!Special Features:
- Son's BirthdayBRexDined on 8/29/2014Ttoughout the years Tarpys has proven to consistant in great food, service and atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good serviceSalesmanDined on 8/28/2014The service and staff were really nice. The wine was excellent and 3 out of 4 or our meals were great. Unfortunately, one of our guests ordered the duck, and it was terrible. This was disappointing b/c we have had the duck before and it was just fine. Very disappointed with this. When the meal was replaced with the halibet it was better, but again, a portion of the fish was slightly burned. The other 3 meals were very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dinner OutahchicoDined on 8/23/2014Food was great, service even better, and getting a table for 6 was easy on a Saturday night! Kids meals were huge! Well worth their $7Special Features:
- Definitely kicked up a notchFoodiewifeDined on 8/23/2014Hearing that Todd Fisher is now the Executive Chef, we wanted to check out his revised menu. I thought that the menu was creative, with something for everyone. I ordered the Maple Brined pork chop which was char grilled to perfection, and I loved the corn "grits" and liked the roasted cauliflower. My husband ordered the "last" Halibut, but he swore it looked just like the Mahi Mahi special he saw other diners order. I have to say his dinner plate didn't look very stellar-- the veggies in particular looked like diner vegetables. He had food envy over mine. We each ordered a beer and the total tab was $80.00 for two, with 20% tip-- out waiter was professional & food delivery was fast. everything is ala carte, so it's a bit pricey.Special Features:
- Not quite what I expected...dagmar311Dined on 8/23/2014I have used Tarpy's numerous times as one of my special occassion places over the years. This experience was surprising. The menu has changed significantly, which was a dissappointment. The food we did order was good and pleasantly presented. We had brought over a couple bottles of wine from Ventana tasting room next door (no corkage if you do that) and we had to ask for an ice bucket to keep the white wine cold. Our server (I don't know the name because he never introduced himself) clearly didn't want to be there. Bad attitude when he wasn't ingoring us completely. The manager tried to save the day with a free round of drinks and apologies, but the damage was done. Get the service back up to standards! It's what made this place special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DrMikeVIPDined on 8/22/2014Food was fabulous. service was unlike previous experiences there. The waiter was very interested in the two blonds next to us and seemed to care little about the other patrons. Had to repeatedly ask for water and he got my order wrong. Very disappointing service.Special Features:
- M from MontereymontereylocalDined on 8/22/2014A great place with delicious food, outstanding wine list and interesting cocktails. Lovely grounds, you won't even miss an ocean view here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tarpy's Used to be my FavoritenomnomnomDined on 8/16/2014Tarpy's used to be my favorite restaurant on the Monterey Peninsula. I go there every time I'm in town. We went this weekend and the food has dramatically dropped off. We spoke to a friend that had the same experience a few days before. I believe they are under new ownership and have a new chef. The food was bland and uninspired. Even the most basic dishes like the fried calamari that used to be so good has changed from tentacles and rings to cut up calamari steaks. I'm so sad. Where will I go now? I hope the same thing hasn't happened to The Rio Grill.Special Features: