357 West Broadway
New York, NY 10013Neighborhood:
RussianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://tarasbulba.us/
- Phone: 2125107510x
- Hours of Operation:
Mon-Thu 11 a.m. - 11 p.m.
Fri - Sun 11 a.m. - 12 a.m.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Modern European, Russian, European
- Executive Chef: Lidiya Krot
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Delivery, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We will cater traditional Ukrainian dishes to any event, details upon request.
- Special Events: Celebrating all Orthodox Christian holidays and much more, giving out samples and free Vodka shots. Sunday cooking classes for children and more, visit our website and like us on Facebook to keep posted!
A word from Taras Bulba
“Korchma Taras Bulba” is an international Ukrainian cuisine restaurant chain founded by Yury Beloyvan on March 25, 1999, in Moscow, Russia. The first restaurant was opened at 30/7 Petrovka Street and was thought to be the only one. The restaurant became so popular and loved that in the next 13 years 16 other locations opened in Moscow, and one in Kiev and now in New York! All dishes served in Korchma are of authentic Ukrainian cuisine, prepared with the exact recipe that was handed down for centuries from generation to generation, and now from our grandparents to our grandchildren. Each restaurant has a unique interior design that will make you feel like you were brought back a hundred years to a cozy Ukrainian home.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Taras Bulba reviews from OpenTable diners
31 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (10)fit for foodies (10)great for lunch (9)special occasion (8)good for groups (6)great for brunch (5)kid-friendly (5)romantic (4)late-night find (4)great for outdoor dining (1)scenic view (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Absolutely loved the restaurantEllenkVIPDined on 8/24/2014Can't wait to go back. Food was delicious. Service was wonderfull.Special Features:
- A Night In UkraineAddictedDined on 8/22/2014I know my Slavic food, and Taras Bulba is good. Plus, the complementary vodkas after the meal are a nice touch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasnt surprisemisstheclassicsVIPDined on 8/20/2014Learned of restaurant via a Groupon Deal -- said to be Russian, but really authentic Ukrainian -- a branch of a Ukrainian chain. Food tasty. Service very attentive and deliberate -- that is to say it is well spaced with time between courses. Not fancy, but pleasant atmosphere. Although music was played at a moderate intensity, I could still comfortably speak with my dining companion. Prioces moderate.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rose624VIPDined on 8/14/2014I've been to this restaurant 3x and I love it. The food is always so tasty and there's an excellent selection of different entrees. The service is always super warm and friendly and very accomodating. They really make sure you have a nice experience. I also love the design of the restaurant - it has a very authentic feel to it. I'll be back again. This may become my regaular when I'm craving Ukrainian food!Special Features:
- Great Place, Friendly Staffsarz1101Dined on 8/8/2014We really enjoyed our experience here. For $110 we got 5 shots of house-infused vodka, two appetizers, a soup, and two full meals. The food was very good if you're into Eastern European food. They play Ukrainian music and the staff is dressed like old-country Ukrainians. The staff was very friendly and helpful. At the end, they gave us a free shot of horse-radish infused vodka. We will be back next time we want some Eastern Euro food.Special Features:
- YanceyYanceyVIPDined on 8/5/2014First time visit. Authentic Ukrainian restaurant and menu. Attentive but not overbearing service. Interesting, and presumably potent, cocktail creations. Overall, a very enjoyable evening, and I definitely will return. My dinner companion, a Russian, was also impressed by the food and the ambience.Special Features:
- SteveEVIPDined on 7/31/2014The monitors playing holiday stories were very distracting. The herring was excellent.
- Ukranian GemMimiDined on 7/9/2014This is a beautiful little restaurant in Soho. It seems to be family run, and the staff is beautiful. There were lots of Ukranian people dining there, always a good sign. My friend and I thought that the food was fresh, authentic and plentiful. We used a Groupon, and I still had enough food for lunch the next day. We plan to go back again. Try the flavored vodka!Special Features:
- loved it allmimaguyDined on 6/20/2014Such a great find.the environment and food were so different and amazing.can't wait to go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very goodChrisFranceDined on 6/15/2014Very nice place. Waiters/waitresses are very welcoming. Charming restaurant with typical.traditional furniture. The Russian/Ukrainian food is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoodeaterDined on 6/6/2014If you want Ukainian food for a shot it is good. Not a place to go too often
- Everything was PerfectwafflesDined on 6/5/2014Our server was particularly wonderful, and recommended the best way to enjoy the meal (and vodka), which I hope to try again very soon.Special Features:
- Great restaurantOutAndAboutVIPDined on 6/1/2014If you want to try Aythentic Ukranian food, this is the place. Traditional decorations, delicious food and good customer service. We were very pleased with our experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 43 reviews are from the Taras Bulba reviews archive.
- Wear Your SneakersRockyroadVIPDined on 5/19/2014Get there fast while it is still an unknown find. Terrific food and very good service. feels like you took a trip to Moscow. Even has a beautiful private room upstairs with 2 fireplaces. Run to see !!!!!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly surprisedBudgetFoodieDined on 5/16/2014We're foodies on a budget. We often get Groupons and find the staff to be disappointed when we bring it up. These guys were the opposite. They treated us so well and helped us with selections. All the courses were great. The Groupon said two apps, two entrees, two desserts and two drinks. When we got the menu they told us to order two hot apps, two cold apps, two entrees, two desserts and two drinks. Already much better than we thought we were getting. For one hot app we decided to split the borscht. Our waiter decided to bring us two instead so we didn't have to split. On our way out the hostess asked if we'd take a shot of house infused vodka with her with a pickle chaser. Overall great dining experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food But Noisygeekguy1VIPDined on 5/11/2014Many reviews have commented positively about the food and service at Taras Bulba, and we found that to generally be true. We were, however, disappointed that early on a Sunday evening they were out of one appetizer and one main course that we had wanted. Even more of a problem was the noise level. Because the space is small the tables are close by, which can (and for us, did) make for a very unpleasantly noisy dinner. In fact, the couple at the table almost touching ours never stopped talking the entire time we were there.I would recommend this to a friend.
- No food availableAnnjaDined on 5/11/2014We came for lunch and half of the items we wanted to order from the menu were not made yet or not available! How do you not have enough vareniki if you are already open and you are a Ukranian restaurant! Not to mention that the prices are pretty steep for the amount of food you get. We paid $200 for lunch for five people and none of us had any drinks! Not coming back.Special Features:
- Good UkranianJohn55VIPDined on 5/10/2014Just start drinking vodka and you will be very happy - Ukranian/Russian food is not my thing but this was good and I walked away happy - the wait staff is very young and dressed in folk costumes - we had a blast - remember vodkaSpecial Features:
- Fun RestaurantTarasDined on 5/10/2014Food was very good. Generous portions Ethnic food and costumes and nicely Decorated Staff was friendly and very Accomadating The only negative was the recorded Music some of it was quite terribleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findAdvanturerDined on 5/10/2014My former colleague and his girlfriend, that traveled in NYC from France, my husband, my daughter and I met at 12:30 for lunch. I looked forward to trying Ukrainian food and so were my friends. The restaurant is not large, about 20 or so tables. The service was very friendly, and our waitress, Zhenya, was very nice. There were 5 of us for lunch at 12:30. Because the appetizers were on a small size, per our waitress' advise, we ordered 6 appetizers. We also ordered 4 main courses. Men tried a shot of infused vodka,2 beers, I had a glass of red wine. Then 3 desserts and 4 teas. The bill arrived: over $400 (not inc tip). I know NY is very expensive, but almost 500 dollars for lunch? I'd recommend this restaurant, great food & service.Special Features:
- Festive night outSeanNYVIPDined on 5/9/2014Great place to go with a group for good food in a very fun and festive atmosphere. The service was great. Overall it feels like you have been invited to dinner at a beautiful home in Kiev.Special Features:
- Great ethnic experienceNJConsultantDined on 5/8/2014Had dinner here with several friends; we are all of Ukrainian descent. Loved the vodka, particularly the lemon infused one. Food was great, and the overall experiene was too! We'll definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and homey.DiningwithdaughterDined on 5/4/2014This was fun experience of pirogi making, tasty food, cozy, calm atmosphere, and excellent service. It would be nice to go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Embrace culture!HappyBellyDined on 4/20/2014Taras Bulba a Ukrainian gem with traditional foods and pleasant waitstaff, they know true hospitality.Special Features:
- I went here for the 2nd timeRose624VIPDined on 4/15/2014I went here for the 2nd time and love it! The food is delicious and the decor is very authentic Ukrainian. When you leave, you always get a shot of flavored Vodka. The restaurant has a very warm feel. Will be back.Special Features:
- I'm UkrainianMariaDined on 3/29/2014So I know my stuff, and this place was amazing. Took my bf to meet my mom here and it was a great event.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceScott236Dined on 3/15/2014The most charming hostess and wait staff that I have ever met. A cleverly decorated spot and right in the heart of SoHo. I had a few minor problems which I am sure can be easily overcome. The horseradish vodka was really tasteless though I did have two. The other was being served sweet f crepes in place of blinis with the caviar. This was not a good combination. I had the calf's liver which was fine and my husband had salmon peroges which were very good. I have recommended this place to artist friends who live in SoHo and will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SweetRhodroDined on 3/14/2014Pleasant, authentic, but food should be better. (Much better in Brighton Beach!) Drinks were fine. Service was very pleasant. Atmosphere was quaint and charming. Perhaps we should have ordered other dishes. Food was not as hot as it should have been, but staff was friendly and accommodating.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Ukranian FoodNikoDined on 3/14/2014I took my girlfriends parents here because they were visiting from Buffalo and wanted some authentic food from the motherland (They are Ukrainian). At first I wanted to take them to Brighton Beach, but the trip there and back wouldn't have fit in our schedule, so I took at risk on Taras Bulba, hoping it would fulfill their craving. Taras Bulba went above and beyond their expectations as they spent their entire time there reminiscing about the various knick-knacks on the walls and thoroughly enjoying every single item they ordered. The atmosphere and the service were impeccable and the food was as close to authentic homemade eastern European food as you can get to in nyc. I will definitely be coming back here.Special Features:
- Choice of dishesNinaDined on 3/9/2014There were several salads listed in the menu, but not actually available. I would recommend exclude those dishes from the menu that cannot be ordered. Otherwise food was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A rare find in NYC....JBNYCVIPDined on 3/6/2014Almost all restaurants that I have been to in NYC are lacking either one of the three main components of service, food or ambiance, this had by far ALL THREE! Service was amazing, food was incredible and ambiance was so wonderful. I have seen a few reviews that the portions aren't enough, but as us FAT Americans like to eat way too much I found them to be extremely satisfying. I highly recommend this place as a unique experience to bring family coming into NYC or just a different type of night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is a unique dining experience.licresidentDined on 2/26/2014This is a unique dining experience. The food is uniquely Eastern European (Ukrainian) and the decor highlights traditional Ukrainian fabrics and farm implements. The wait staff also dresses in traditional Ukrainian outfits. It is quite different from the usual trendy Manhattan dining experience and can be fun if you go with a least four people to try a variety of dishes. The infused vodkas are wonderful, with offbeat flavors like horseradish and ginger, along with raspberry and apricot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful time!NattyDined on 2/21/2014The food was just as good as my mother used to make, and the staff was friendly and warm. The ambiance was also warm, happy and fun. The most difficult part was deciding what to eat because so many things sounded good. And the infused vodka is a fun touch. I would definitely recommend this to any age diner who appreciates good food and service, and is looking for a unique experience.Special Features:
- Traditionalbambin4etoDined on 2/14/2014The food was good, nothing outstanding, but if you like Russian-Ukrainian food, it is good. The atmosphere is romantic and typical Eastern European interior. However, the service was super slow, they did not have 2-3 wines we wanted to have.Special Features:
- Great surprise, very goodMandBVIPDined on 2/9/2014Great surprise, very good food and excellent, caring service. We grazed for lunch (salads, soups, hot dishes, etc.), tasting and sharing many different items, all extremely well prepared and delicious. Can't wait to return for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpasivaRicoSuaveDined on 1/22/2014We had a nice time. I enjoy trying interesting new foods and trying new things. So I had a great time experimenting with unusual dishes. I never ate pork belly before. Spicing my food with horse radish...and drinking vodka. The atmosphere made it feel like I was in the Ukraine. Neat. Overall a great experience, but WAY too pricy. I guess its the location... that's New York...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kitschy - in a good wayOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 1/18/2014We've been to the the Taras Bulba in Moscow, so had to try it in NYC when it opened. The place was packed on a Saturday night with a mix of couples and families. Food was good but really heavy which was fine on a snowy, freezing cold January night. It was better in Moscow, but ingredients are different, etc. The costumes and decor are a hoot. Service was distracted and slow, but the place was packed with a line out the door. They seemed a bit overwhelmed. Definitely worth a try!Special Features:
- Tasty and underratedthisisirenesDined on 1/18/2014Will start with, don't know why this place was so empty at brunch hour on a Saturday because the food at this joint was tasty. Love the quaint, quiet atmosphere with the rustic exposed-wood touches and the prevailing Russian theme depicted through bric-a-brac (although didn't think they had to go as far as dressing their serving staff in full traditional attire). Servers were friendly and perhaps a little too attentive (because of the slow traffic. We ate the veal stew and the salmon — both seasoned well, balanced meat vs. veggie portions, and with tender, perfectly cooked meat. Also loved the cured pork belly in place of butter for the starter bread — how they got pork belly that creamy is beyond me, this thing tasted like foie gras!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/16/2014I triesd vareniki with meat and loved it, apetizer was great too. loved infused vodka, delicious. cocktails are lacking flavor , the same as in Chinese restaurants. try there infused vodkas and vareniki.....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic food and not pretentiousOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/5/2014Authentic food and not pretentious atmosphere. Friendly and professional staff and management. Infused vodka is a gem. Pelmeni is a must.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.