210 Hanover St.
Boston, MA 02113Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.tarantarist.com/
- Phone: (617) 720-0052
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday – Sunday; 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Peruvian
- Executive Chef: Jose Duarte
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Off-site catering and butler style service for parties of 12 - 30 guests.
- Private Party Facilities: Taranta can accommodate up to 45 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Jose Duarte 6177200052
- Special Events: Taranta offer Culinary Adventures to Peru, check our web site for more information.
A word from Taranta
Distinguished Chef Jose Duarte delights with a very unique and unusual marriage between Italian Cuisine and Peruvian Cuisine. Taranta is the ideal location for a corporate function, private function rooms are available, and also corporate teambuilding cooking classes. We are located in the North End and we offer validated parking at the parcel 7 garage. Taranta is a Certified Green Restaurant and has received the City of Boston Green Business Award. It was also named one of the Best New Restaurants of the Decade by Zagat and the top 50 Restaurants in Boston by Boston Magazine. If you would like to learn about Taranta's Eco-friendly practique visit www.tarantagreen.com.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Taranta reviews from OpenTable diners
110 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (75)neighborhood gem (54)romantic (49)special occasion (47)notable wine list (23)good for groups (21)scenic view (9)hot spot (9)great for outdoor dining (6)great for lunch (5)late-night find (4)vibrant bar scene (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Good food, good service, no parking.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/22/2014Good food, good service, but no parking. One of our party was 45 minutes late finding a place to park.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable evening!SummerDined on 11/22/2014We held a birthday dinner here and had a very memorable evening! The staff really helped to make it a celebration. They brought out a surprise gift we brought for the birthday girl with the appetizer. The waiter helped give suggestions for the menu, wine and pisco sours. They also helped us get out on time so that we could make it to an evening concert. I am still dreaming of the food and would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- one of the best places in townAlexVIPDined on 11/14/2014Taranta is easily a top five place in the Boston area. The menu is accessible and surprising. The food is excellent. But, more importantly, the people are wonderful and welcoming. Too often in town, the high end wait staff make me feel like I am being accommodated because I don't know the ins and outs of wine pairings and the proper pronunciation of various ingredients on the menu. Not at Taranta. Everyone from the host to the bus staff and waiter were friendly, engaging, and prompt (but not pushy)! Definitely make Taranta the top of your list for exploring they north end or the general Boston food scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something differentfrlunchVIPDined on 11/6/2014Good quality food with a friendly wait staff. Great to see the Peruvian Zander Italian styles combined, which makes this place perfectly different from all the other places in the north end.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- simply stated perfectly deliciousYoliDined on 11/4/2014A must visit! You will not be disappointed, we ready to return often! Start with the "special salad" and you will fall in love immediately. The espresso crusted beef tenderloin will keep you coming back over and over again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great twist on usual Italian fareRovingPineappleDined on 11/3/2014The Peruvian accents to the menu at this restaurant make it an interesting choice for people who have been to the North End and are looking for something a little different and interesting.I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1st time theredavidj205VIPDined on 11/1/2014Service was great and food equally great. Would definitely recommend, a gem in the North End.Special Features:
- Wonderful food service and ambianceTarantaFansDined on 10/27/2014I chose this restaurant to entertain prospective clients and it was a great choice! We were seated immediately, and provided prompt and friendly service. The waiter was phenomenal and made perfect suggestions from the wine and dinner menu. The food was outstanding. The ambiance was perfect. It felt like I was entertaining my guests at home; it was as if no one else was around because of the attention we were given and how we were so focused on our conversation and commenting on the great food. It was a delightful experience. I can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mom's BirthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/26/2014My mother chose this restaurant because we had dined here before and she absolutely loved it. The second time around here did not disappoint. The food was delicious, our server was friendly and accommodating considering our large party and a cake that we brought for my mom's birthday. Everyone enjoyed their food and time here and we will definitely be back for a third, fourth and fifth visit.Special Features:
- DeliciousLrussakDined on 10/25/2014Great food, lots of space, perfect service. We made a last-minute reservation for seven people and they accommodated us easily. Very few restaurants in the north and have so much space. I would definitely go back again especially if I had a large group of people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Weekend in BostonOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/25/2014We had made reservations in advance to try Taranta. We were 45 minutes early for our reservation. The hostess brought us right in. The waiter was very helpful in suggesting some specials on the menu. Great evening .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- crowded but great food.MaryADined on 10/25/2014We visited Taranta for dinner during Parents weekend for my daughter. The downstairs dinning area was cramped, the tables are close together, they even have a table placed very near door and hostess station. It was loud. The food and service were very good. The menu had many interesting items. I can highly recommend the squash soup and the salmon.Special Features:
- Food was not hot, had to send backAmandaLeighDined on 10/25/2014Food was not hot, had to send back - service was pretty good, we had a window seat which was nice. Got free lemoncello drinks for the food being cold, although I do not even like lemoncello and neither did anyone at our table. I would have preferred a discount on the bill, or a dessert or app free or something.Special Features:
- My favorite placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/20/2014Hands down my favorite restaurant in Boston. I go out of my way to get a reservation every time I visit up North. The perfect mix of food, service, and atmosphere. Wishing you continued successSpecial Features:
- nice atmospheresouthshorefoodieDined on 10/17/2014We took out-of-town rowing friends to Taranta and were very pleased with our choice, especially sitting at a window where we could watch the local scene pass by. Very attentive staff, lovely wine and good carbs. before the Head of the Charles. José Duarte (whom we know a bit) greeted us and gave us a glass of limoncello!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- worth the priceMichaelVIPDined on 10/10/2014excellent food, prepared well. like the Peruvian influence. I would definitely return.Special Features:
- What a Wonderful MealLCOTE123Dined on 10/10/2014Two out-of-town guests and I recently had dinner at Taranta. We had appetizers and ate three different dishes served with excellent home-made pasta. We thoroughly enjoyed every bite of our dinners. The service was very good. I highly recommend Taranta; it is definitely not your red sauce restaurant.Special Features:
- Good Italian with Peruvian touchLuciaga85Dined on 10/4/2014My meal wasn't that great but all of friends' was. They had good food overall, tasty and different. It seems that their main entrees are the best. E.g. PaicheSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good service unique menuDanandJulia100414Dined on 10/4/2014Food was great. Attentive service. Not much in the way of ambience. Salmon entree felt a little undercooked. Need to give patron choice on salmon, like beef.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful Peruvian-ItalianJenn22Dined on 10/3/2014We had a wonderful meal here. We stayed with the mussels (very flavorful) then the fish with risotto and then the lamb ragout. Finished with delicious tiramisu. Fabulous service. An amazing Italian wine. Would go back!Special Features:
- Very enjoyableDonBVIPDined on 9/27/2014It is always great to see place that gets it. Passionate about their food and the dining experience. Peruvian food marries perfectly with Italian.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost perfectOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/27/2014Food was excellent and waiter very friendly but unfortunately forgot to put on appetizer in and forgot to give us 'leftover' bag. Nice twist on trad Italian although not necessarily Peruvian in the classic sense. Restrooms are three floors from one of the dining rooms. Ambiance very Italian tuscan with open windows, classic wooden chairs and small intimate tables. Ordered mussels, Pasta, Trout, Large pork chop, salads, ...all was very tasty...Special Features:
- Friendly service and good foodCaroDined on 9/26/2014We headed to Taranta for dinner while on a "girl's trip". The ambiance was great, not too noisy yet not too quiet. With its rustic charm, the dining area looked well maintained yet we felt we were in the heart of North Boston. We ordered the antipasto which was tasty and plentiful for 4. The salads arrived to quickly so we had to return them, but that was the main hiccup in the service. The wine list was extensive and diversified. Our main course (trout, ravioli and steak) were all lovely and the portions were perfect. The upstairs was quite crowded when we ended our meal and we had to have the server ask other patrons to get up so we could leave, but he obliged. We will go to Taranta again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely dinnerswimmerDined on 9/25/2014We had a lovely dinner here at 8:00 on a Thursday evening. It wasn't very crowded, we sat in the upstairs dining room which has a scenic view of Boston and was wonderfully quiet. We were a group of 7 which was easily accommodated. The food was delicious and plentiful, the server was attentive, knowledgable and friendly. The shrimp appetizer special was absolutely delicious, as was the octopus appetizer. The trout for the main course was scrumptious if a bit heavy. It was one of our party's birthday, and the server brought out a festive little cake with a candle for him, which was a delightful and much appreciated gesture.Special Features:
- PastaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/25/2014Pasta with mushrooms was great! The service and ambiance is very good. First time tried and limde it alot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Visiting BostonIrinaTDined on 9/24/2014On a business trip to Boston, I had to choose one place I can dine with my clients while in town. Taranta was good - Very Good, but failed to knock my socks off. There wasn't anything in particular....the ambiance was good, the food was a little bland and COLD, but not bad tasting, the waiter seemed knowledgeable. Overall, it was good, nearly great, but not fantastic.Special Features:
- Worth the TripGo2TarantaDined on 9/23/2014Several times a year my husband and I travel 3hrs to Boston (from Franconia, NH) to share a meal with family & friends. The food is exceptional, staff is awesome and our dinners are always memorable. Go Chef Duarte, you are a gift to the culinary world and the North End of Boston!Special Features:
- Must-Try!GoAmyGoDined on 9/20/2014When we booked at Taranta, we didnt know anything about it, but were intrigued by the Peruvian-Italian concept. We were seated upstairs overlooking the hustle and bustle of Hanover Street, and greated by our charming and exceptional sever. Originally from Argentina but raised in the US, she was personally knowledgable about the cuisine offered and was clearly excited to share her culture and culinary experience with us. We started off with some unusual and delicious cocktails. Among the entree highlights were an Amazonian white fish, an spicy orecchiette pasta dish (OUTSTANDING), and a yucca gnocchi with a lamb ragu. We ended the meal with a melange of delicious desserts. Put Taranta on your must-try list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a good meal!DjfarlingDined on 9/19/2014The waiter was extremely friend and obliging. It's definitely one of the things going for Taranta, not to mention the food. I had the yucca gnocchi with the lamb sauce - not too spicy or overpowering. The bread was definitely a highlight as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food!CholopolitanDined on 9/17/2014The drinks and the food is absoluty amazing. I keep going back for the causa de cangrejo. It's delicious!! The desserts are also really good!! Overall this place is amazing, I don't think there is anything not worth trying!!! I was disappointed about the service we received, I wish they could have made us feel a little more wanted and not rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Find in the North EndPersnicketydinerVIPDined on 9/15/2014The service was great, I had the lobster and crab ravioli and it was delicious. Everyone really enjoyed their meals.
- WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/14/2014The Amazonian fish was wonderful and the dessert out of this world. Service was excellent. The waiter was knowledgeable and friendly. Looking forward to going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor service, disappointing foodAlwaysHungryDined on 9/13/2014The Peruvian Italian fusion was interesting and made for a more unique than average dinner in the North End. I had the Yucca Gnocchi with lamb ragu, which was pleasantly spicy, but not spectacular. My husband had the pork chop which was undercooked and disappointing. The service was not up to par. We ordered drinks that we didn't get and had to ask twice. Also, the waiter topped up our tap water with sparkling, so we had to ask him to dump the whole glass and start over. Overall, the concept was great, but the execution was disappointing.Special Features:
- Always great!mmsullyDined on 9/5/2014Taranta has it all: creative menu, beautiful space, great location (except for parking), and awesome service!Special Features:
- So glad to return here!FrankophileVIPDined on 9/4/2014We hadn't been to Taranta, our favorite North End restaurant, for over a year, but were warmly greeted by our server, who remembered us. We were pleased to recognize many other servers from our visits here over the years, as staff retention suggests job satisfaction which results in good experiences for customers. Indeed, our dinner here was as delicious and delightful as all of our previous visits. The Peruvian influences gave our hearty and satisfying fare (a salad and chicken ravioli special, and the fusilli avellinesi al cartoccio) a welcome unusual twist. Similarly, the wine list features bottles not seen everywhere. Excellent service and the theater of Hanover St. just outside the open front windows made for a memorable evening.Special Features:
- Taranta: Fabulous Italian-PeruvianmfcfoodloverDined on 8/29/2014We chose Taranta for its location in Little Italy, and for the special Dine in Boston restaurant week. I chose a meal off the special menu and was SOOOOO pleased. Great meal; super service; great atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/29/2014We came upon Taranta based on a recommendation and we are good we followed up on their advice. The food was excellent. I had the double cut pork chop that was cooked perfectly. My small issues are below. -We had to ask for some bread as our server never brought any over. -They don't serve any soft drinks. - The crust on the bread once we got it was really tough. Other than that, it was a very enjoyable experience and a place that we will go back to the next time we are in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- North End ExperienceTeeBusterVIPDined on 8/25/2014The restaurant was very accommodating for our group of 12. The service was very professional however it took a bit long to get things going with salads and appetizers. The food was very good, ranging from fish to meat. That night there was a loud group next to us that made conversation difficult, but otherwise this was a good experience and I would recommend it for groups and would return.Special Features:
- food okay, ambience ehhAK87VIPDined on 8/25/2014Food was unique in its fusion of flavors, but not as awesome as I expected, having had Peruvian and Italian separately in the past. as far as ambience goes, it was WAY too loud on the 2nd floor, it was hot. windows were open and members of my party were sweating. sweating + mediocre food = not worthy of a recommendationSpecial Features:
- One of a kindjdlexDined on 8/24/2014Definitely the best Peruvian-Italian fusion place I've visited! It's a bit of a gimmick, perhaps, but a sincere one. And it works. The Italian genes dominate, with Peruvian touches mostly showing up in subtleties of the spicing and sides. The food was as carefully prepared and the wines as well chosen as anyplace I've been in the North End. Service was terrific, too. Add a Hanover-Street location, open to the sidewalk in summer and with views of the Custom Tower year-round, and you've got a fine place.Special Features: