210 Hanover St.
Boston, MA 02113Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.tarantarist.com/
- Phone: 6177200052
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday – Sunday; 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Peruvian
- Executive Chef: Jose Duarte
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Off-site catering and butler style service for parties of 12 - 30 guests.
- Private Party Facilities: Taranta can accommodate up to 45 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Jose Duarte 6177200052
- Special Events: Taranta offer Culinary Adventures to Peru, check our web site for more information.
A word from Taranta
Distinguished Chef Jose Duarte delights with a very unique and unusual marriage between Italian Cuisine and Peruvian Cuisine. Taranta is the ideal location for a corporate function, private function rooms are available, and also corporate teambuilding cooking classes. We are located in the North End and we offer validated parking at the parcel 7 garage. Taranta is a Certified Green Restaurant and has received the City of Boston Green Business Award. It was also named one of the Best New Restaurants of the Decade by Zagat and the top 50 Restaurants in Boston by Boston Magazine. If you would like to learn about Taranta's Eco-friendly practique visit www.tarantagreen.com.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Taranta reviews from OpenTable diners
117 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (72)neighborhood gem (61)special occasion (59)romantic (57)good for groups (23)notable wine list (20)scenic view (14)hot spot (8)great for outdoor dining (4)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Very enjoyableDonBVIPDined on 9/27/2014It is always great to see place that gets it. Passionate about their food and the dining experience. Peruvian food marries perfectly with Italian.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost perfectOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/27/2014Food was excellent and waiter very friendly but unfortunately forgot to put on appetizer in and forgot to give us 'leftover' bag. Nice twist on trad Italian although not necessarily Peruvian in the classic sense. Restrooms are three floors from one of the dining rooms. Ambiance very Italian tuscan with open windows, classic wooden chairs and small intimate tables. Ordered mussels, Pasta, Trout, Large pork chop, salads, ...all was very tasty...Special Features:
- Friendly service and good foodCaroDined on 9/26/2014We headed to Taranta for dinner while on a "girl's trip". The ambiance was great, not too noisy yet not too quiet. With its rustic charm, the dining area looked well maintained yet we felt we were in the heart of North Boston. We ordered the antipasto which was tasty and plentiful for 4. The salads arrived to quickly so we had to return them, but that was the main hiccup in the service. The wine list was extensive and diversified. Our main course (trout, ravioli and steak) were all lovely and the portions were perfect. The upstairs was quite crowded when we ended our meal and we had to have the server ask other patrons to get up so we could leave, but he obliged. We will go to Taranta again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely dinnerswimmerDined on 9/25/2014We had a lovely dinner here at 8:00 on a Thursday evening. It wasn't very crowded, we sat in the upstairs dining room which has a scenic view of Boston and was wonderfully quiet. We were a group of 7 which was easily accommodated. The food was delicious and plentiful, the server was attentive, knowledgable and friendly. The shrimp appetizer special was absolutely delicious, as was the octopus appetizer. The trout for the main course was scrumptious if a bit heavy. It was one of our party's birthday, and the server brought out a festive little cake with a candle for him, which was a delightful and much appreciated gesture.Special Features:
- PastaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/25/2014Pasta with mushrooms was great! The service and ambiance is very good. First time tried and limde it alot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Visiting BostonOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/24/2014On a business trip to Boston, I had to choose one place I can dine with my clients while in town. Taranta was good - Very Good, but failed to knock my socks off. There wasn't anything in particular....the ambiance was good, the food was a little bland and COLD, but not bad tasting, the waiter seemed knowledgeable. Overall, it was good, nearly great, but not fantastic.Special Features:
- Worth the TripGo2TarantaDined on 9/23/2014Several times a year my husband and I travel 3hrs to Boston (from Franconia, NH) to share a meal with family & friends. The food is exceptional, staff is awesome and our dinners are always memorable. Go Chef Duarte, you are a gift to the culinary world and the North End of Boston!Special Features:
- Must-Try!GoAmyGoDined on 9/20/2014When we booked at Taranta, we didnt know anything about it, but were intrigued by the Peruvian-Italian concept. We were seated upstairs overlooking the hustle and bustle of Hanover Street, and greated by our charming and exceptional sever. Originally from Argentina but raised in the US, she was personally knowledgable about the cuisine offered and was clearly excited to share her culture and culinary experience with us. We started off with some unusual and delicious cocktails. Among the entree highlights were an Amazonian white fish, an spicy orecchiette pasta dish (OUTSTANDING), and a yucca gnocchi with a lamb ragu. We ended the meal with a melange of delicious desserts. Put Taranta on your must-try list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a good meal!DjfarlingDined on 9/19/2014The waiter was extremely friend and obliging. It's definitely one of the things going for Taranta, not to mention the food. I had the yucca gnocchi with the lamb sauce - not too spicy or overpowering. The bread was definitely a highlight as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food!CholopolitanDined on 9/17/2014The drinks and the food is absoluty amazing. I keep going back for the causa de cangrejo. It's delicious!! The desserts are also really good!! Overall this place is amazing, I don't think there is anything not worth trying!!! I was disappointed about the service we received, I wish they could have made us feel a little more wanted and not rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Find in the North EndPersnicketydinerVIPDined on 9/15/2014The service was great, I had the lobster and crab ravioli and it was delicious. Everyone really enjoyed their meals.
- WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/14/2014The Amazonian fish was wonderful and the dessert out of this world. Service was excellent. The waiter was knowledgeable and friendly. Looking forward to going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor service, disappointing foodAlwaysHungryDined on 9/13/2014The Peruvian Italian fusion was interesting and made for a more unique than average dinner in the North End. I had the Yucca Gnocchi with lamb ragu, which was pleasantly spicy, but not spectacular. My husband had the pork chop which was undercooked and disappointing. The service was not up to par. We ordered drinks that we didn't get and had to ask twice. Also, the waiter topped up our tap water with sparkling, so we had to ask him to dump the whole glass and start over. Overall, the concept was great, but the execution was disappointing.Special Features:
- Always great!mmsullyDined on 9/5/2014Taranta has it all: creative menu, beautiful space, great location (except for parking), and awesome service!Special Features:
- So glad to return here!FrankophileVIPDined on 9/4/2014We hadn't been to Taranta, our favorite North End restaurant, for over a year, but were warmly greeted by our server, who remembered us. We were pleased to recognize many other servers from our visits here over the years, as staff retention suggests job satisfaction which results in good experiences for customers. Indeed, our dinner here was as delicious and delightful as all of our previous visits. The Peruvian influences gave our hearty and satisfying fare (a salad and chicken ravioli special, and the fusilli avellinesi al cartoccio) a welcome unusual twist. Similarly, the wine list features bottles not seen everywhere. Excellent service and the theater of Hanover St. just outside the open front windows made for a memorable evening.Special Features:
- Taranta: Fabulous Italian-PeruvianmfcfoodloverDined on 8/29/2014We chose Taranta for its location in Little Italy, and for the special Dine in Boston restaurant week. I chose a meal off the special menu and was SOOOOO pleased. Great meal; super service; great atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/29/2014We came upon Taranta based on a recommendation and we are good we followed up on their advice. The food was excellent. I had the double cut pork chop that was cooked perfectly. My small issues are below. -We had to ask for some bread as our server never brought any over. -They don't serve any soft drinks. - The crust on the bread once we got it was really tough. Other than that, it was a very enjoyable experience and a place that we will go back to the next time we are in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- North End ExperienceTeeBusterVIPDined on 8/25/2014The restaurant was very accommodating for our group of 12. The service was very professional however it took a bit long to get things going with salads and appetizers. The food was very good, ranging from fish to meat. That night there was a loud group next to us that made conversation difficult, but otherwise this was a good experience and I would recommend it for groups and would return.Special Features:
- food okay, ambience ehhAK87VIPDined on 8/25/2014Food was unique in its fusion of flavors, but not as awesome as I expected, having had Peruvian and Italian separately in the past. as far as ambience goes, it was WAY too loud on the 2nd floor, it was hot. windows were open and members of my party were sweating. sweating + mediocre food = not worthy of a recommendationSpecial Features:
- One of a kindjdlexDined on 8/24/2014Definitely the best Peruvian-Italian fusion place I've visited! It's a bit of a gimmick, perhaps, but a sincere one. And it works. The Italian genes dominate, with Peruvian touches mostly showing up in subtleties of the spicing and sides. The food was as carefully prepared and the wines as well chosen as anyplace I've been in the North End. Service was terrific, too. Add a Hanover-Street location, open to the sidewalk in summer and with views of the Custom Tower year-round, and you've got a fine place.Special Features:
- Fantastic!Ludlowe123Dined on 8/23/2014Taranto was wonderful from start to finish. From the moment we entered we were treated like very welcome guests. The foos was delicious but what really stood out was the service. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Full of character phenomenal desertAnitaVIPDined on 8/23/2014Loved the ambience of this old fashioned looking venue. Super friendly owner and helpful waiter. We shared both dishes. Had the lobster ravioli, very tasty fantastic sauce and the Amazonian pesche, a wonderful texture served grilled over quinoa and white broad beans. An ugly animal, as per the picture our waiter showed us! The most fantastic desert: "Lucumasu " a Tiramisu made with lucuma. Also, a great pisco sour. Worth trying!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yummyDined on 8/22/2014I had an amazing birthday dinner here. The service was amazing. I forget our servers name but, he was awesome.Special Features:
- Great foodFoodieDined on 8/22/2014Amazing dishes here. The North End is known for its great Italian eating and this place really excels at authentic Italian cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing mealLSKoopDined on 8/21/2014I was very surprised that our meals were not better. Started with the mussels, they were good. Caprese salad, tomatoes were tasteless and mushy. My entree of a white fish on top of quinoa and asparagus tips was not good. Everything but the fish was cold. Fish was bland. My husband ordered a ravioli with mushrooms ands it was fair, again not over the top. With all the competition in the North End seems like the pressure would be on to excel.
- not your average italiannosnowVIPDined on 8/20/2014Fantastic blend of Peru and Italy made for very flavorful and tasty dinner. Large portions, friendly helpful staff,and lively but quiet enough to talk business. Look forward to going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good service, great foodBostondinerVIPDined on 8/19/2014Great food. Nice intimate place. I like that the front opens onto the street, which is the main drag in Boston's North End. Kudos to Chef Jose Duarte for running a socially responsible business that prioritizes sustainable sourcing and environmentally sound practices.Special Features:
- Nice find in the North EndJPchickDined on 8/17/2014This is a sweet small restaurant, great decor, intimate feel. Our waiter could not have been nicer and was helpful with the menu. We had the PEI mussels as an appetizer and they were very tasty. Chicken ravioli were excellent as was the fish selection (paiche, a South American fish). Hazelnut mousse was also quite good for dessert. And, the coffee was what you expect in the North End, wonderful espresso. The restaurant is on Hanover St, near the Haymarket end which is great because it gets you away from the crowds that pack the middle section of Hanover St.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent food, service, etc.ItalianladyDined on 8/14/2014have always enjoyed dining at Taranta! the wine was top, food very delicious, etc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerFeedmeDined on 8/10/2014The food and service were exceptional. I had the salmon which was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting Peruvian Italian fusionJmacDined on 8/8/2014We had a delicious dinner. The food was wonderful! Our server was great, but since there is no bartender she also had to make our cocktails so this took a while. We sat on the second floor which was pretty and had a nice view, but the air conditioning was much too cold! I would definitely go again because the food was fantastic but I'd bring a very warm sweater!Special Features:
- Fun loc to take out of town friendshamletVIPDined on 7/31/2014We enjoyed the service and atmosphere, but we all agreed our main dishes were too salty. Appetizers were very good, Arugula salad with beets was average.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great experienceJeanneDined on 7/30/2014This is a great place for use to meet our niece for dinner. The grass-fed, coffee crusted filet mignon was cooked perfectly, as was the salmon. Loved the chocolate souffle. Had a wonderful view of Boston and Hanover Street. Great service. Creative menu with delicious vegetables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Peruvian and Italian foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/24/2014The ceviche was seasoned and flavored well. It melted in my mouth. We had the ravioli stuffed with Peruvian potatoes and chicken with a shallot garlic sauce. So comforting ..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not fusion enoughDomingo17Dined on 7/20/2014Very good service but a little disappointing in the food taste department. Maybe my expectations were set too high but I did not get the fusion experience (Italian Cuisine plus Peruvian) I was hoping for. Also, found it weird that the restaurant is "so green" but then the salmon was not wild caught. Great location.Special Features:
- susanDined on 7/19/2014The food was unbelievably good, lovely ambiance, service was good but not great. Noisy but good energy. Will definitely return for the food!!!Special Features:
- Great mussels in the North End!westenderVIPDined on 7/18/2014Our last visit was over a year ago, and we decided that we wanted their amazing mussels again. To our surprise, our server, recognized us! He is a true professional, knowledgeable about both food and wine. He allowed us to taste the 'wines of the day', discussed our experience with cuttlefish in the Balkans and suggested we move to a table at the open windows when it became available. The mussels were are good as ever, with a broth that demands bread to get it all! We will not wait a year for our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Northend pickGwsnhDined on 7/18/2014Excellent service vibrant northend location good menu, variety slightly limited for wine selection especially by the glass. Definitely a restaurant i would recommend to friends and i would return to myselfSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/12/2014Food was great but the service left a sour taste. We were placed on the third floor, which wouldn't have been a problem except there were two elderly individuals who had difficulty going down the four floors to the restroom and back up again. Then, the five of us were squeezed into a fourtop when there were plenty of larger tables that were not being used. I'm sure that was because the table was by the open window, which was a necessity as the top floor must have been at least 80 with no AC or ceiling fans. To add insult to injury, they served tepid room temperature water with no ice. Trying to re-create a third world ambiance? Would have been ok for a hole-in-the-wall dive, but not for the price we paid. Doubt I'll be back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific TarantaHappywomanDined on 7/11/2014We were taken to the third floor--quite a hike--so not for those that are step challenged, but much quieter than the other floors. We sat by open windows so it was somewhat like dining outdoors as the windows are quite large and not screened. The menu was extensive and interesting with a few specials. Everything ordered was outstanding. One at the table had to follow a special diet and that was followed with no problem. The service was wonderful and the desserts were the whipped cream of the meal. Thoroughly enjoyed by all 8 of us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.