Tara Restaurant - San Francisco
123 2nd Street
San Francisco, CA 94105Neighborhood:
ThaiPrice: $30 and under
Tara Restaurant - San Francisco
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.tara-restaurant.com/
- Phone: 4153489977
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southeast Asian, Thai
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Delivery, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Please call for details.
- Private Party Contact: Ed 4158675417
A word from Tara Restaurant - San Francisco
Tara restaurant delicately selects and prepares dishes from Southeast Asia and Thailand. We are delighted to present you with the experience of savory food from these regions with joyfulness in a simply modern atmosphere. Located in the SOMA neighborhood of San Francisco, where the arts and modern living combine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Tara Restaurant - San Francisco reviews from OpenTable diners
- Wonderful business dinner!DianeDined on 2/27/2013Tara is one of my favorite spots in the SOMA district! I had a delightful business dinner, on this trip, and the food was a hit with my international guest. The service was very attentive, and the wine list is superb!Special Features:
- There are much better ThaiGeorgeVIPDined on 1/17/2013There are much better Thai options in The City. I was very disappointed - it's a fast food joint. Not worth an encore!
- Great Thai food. The rightOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 12/28/2012Great Thai food. The right spice and interesting menu choices. Quick, efficient service though they let us linger after dinner as long as we wanted. A great value.Special Features:
- Waitress was pushy. Did notOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/25/2012Waitress was pushy. Did not have flat rice noodle at a Thai restaurant. Microwaved appetizer. Poor presentation of food. Only good at serving bottled sake.
- Consistently Good Food & ServiceJBayDined on 10/31/2012Great Southeast Asian food (I personally like the Thai selections) served quickly with good service. I like the Thai service standard and the fast service during my workday lunch hour.Special Features:
- I went on a weekday for lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/27/2012I went on a weekday for lunch and had the Singapore noodles, which was not the best, but I love singapore noodles in almost any form. It was a bit too sticky and soft. The appitizer was delicous though. It was coconut shreds, tiny lemon wedges, and cold shrimp wrapped it butter lettuce. Very tastey!Special Features:
- We found this place onlineOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/8/2012We found this place online and went there because our Mom's name is Tara. Food was just fabulous. Ambience and decor is excellent. And our service great - very courteous, pleasant and efficient. We went as a group of 8 and they managed everything extremely well. Highly recommend it!!Special Features:
- A great little lunch spot,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/7/2012A great little lunch spot, though if you are looking for authentic Thai or South Asian cuisine, there are better places to go for that. Service was quick and attentive. The food arrived very quickly after our orders. I had ordered the Hainan chicken, the chicken was a bit dry and rubbery. The rice was spot on and delicious. It also came with a chili sauce that differed from the traditional sauce you would get with Hainan chicken, it was more like a Thai chilli sauce than South Asian. There was also no soup.Special Features:
- Reception was warm, but foodPickyDinerDined on 8/30/2012Reception was warm, but food was "ok"; this is my second time there, and they don't know what "spicy" means, and as a result, the food was rather bland.
- good service, good food, veryAlanDined on 8/21/2012good service, good food, very loud impossible to hold a conversationSpecial Features:
- Singapore noodles did notOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/11/2012Singapore noodles did not have very much flavor at all
- A great working lunch spot.OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 3/30/2012A great working lunch spot. We needed a tasty lunch during a short lunch break, and they were quick and tasty.Special Features:
- We enjoy Tara for drinks afterjaneyoVIPDined on 2/25/2012We enjoy Tara for drinks after work, or dinner before an event at Yerba Buena Center for the Arts. Good Thai food and friendly staff.Special Features:
- 1st Thai restaurant experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/8/20121st Thai restaurant experience , ordered the basic Curry chicken dish and it was delicious. The service was excellent and very helpful. The restaurant was exceptionally clean and inviting. Great 1st experience. Would reccomend.
- I've been to this restaurantDisappointedVIPDined on 1/11/2012I've been to this restaurant only a couple of times. Food is great and price is reasonable. It's quiet and quick service. The only thing is one of my friend ordered a mild dish and she got a hot one and coughed with her first taste so she got their attention. Since they can't make it any less hot, we suggested that they just add hot water. This one worked as well.Special Features:
- The food was very good andOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/24/2011The food was very good and arrived extremely fast. The staff were very nice.
- The service was excellent.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/24/2011The service was excellent. The food was good but I prefer Osha.Special Features:
- This is a great little lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/16/2011This is a great little lunch place. Feels like an oasis in the hectic business SOMA area at lunch. The food was good, the service unobtrusive, friendly. Prices very reasonable. Will definitely go back. Only drawback was they did not check me in for my Open Table reservation, and I got a No Show notice from Open Table. But I replied and Open Table cleared it up right away.Special Features:
- DisappointingFrogNYCVIPDined on 10/27/2011Not a great experience. It started with being offered a table beside the kitchen and serving station (even though I'd made a reservation days earlier). I ended up at a wobbly table near the bar. The serving staff seemed harried and not terribly friendly. My appetizer arrived almost 10 minutes after my main course. The red curry was tasty, but the potstickers consisted mostly of a minced unidentifiable vegetable instead of the shrimp and pork advertised.(Some might like that, but the menu didn't indicate how veggie-ful they would be. I wouldn't have ordered them if I'd known.)
- Our group of 8 really enjoyedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/16/2011Our group of 8 really enjoyed your Happy Hour prices!!Special Features:
- LOVE the coconut juice, servedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/26/2011LOVE the coconut juice, served in an actual coconut! nice conversation piece back at the officeSpecial Features:
- Meh...BelenDined on 8/24/2011We ate there at 7ish on a Wednesday and were quite literally the only people there, which felt uncomfortable. The beef was perfectly cooked, but under-seasoned. The basil chicken had nice flavor, but was over cooked. The roti was delicious, but the curry sauce was just okay. Glad we tried a new restaurant but likely won't return or recommend
- The sauces and noodles weFoodRequired1VIPDined on 8/15/2011The sauces and noodles we had were fine but the chicken, beef, and shrimp did not taste fresh and was overcooked, dry. Too bad I was really looking forward to enjoying the meal. The person with me had the same experience.
- Lovely placeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/9/2011We had a group of six with a couple of us having poor hearing, so I requested a quieter location and they accommodated us with a table towards the rear and it was perfect. Charming staff, delicious food and a lovely birthday dessert and song as well. We'll be back!Special Features:
- Not the best and not the worst...juGlobalTravelerNDinerVIPDined on 8/5/2011Not the best and not the worst...just average quality.
- Pleasantly surprisedBelldogVIPDined on 8/4/2011We stopped in for dinner before the Giants game last week, and had never been here before. We were pleasantly surprised by the food and the service. They have a lot of menu choices and the salmon was outstanding. I would recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- made reservations here forOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/1/2011made reservations here for lunch and got there early so we were the only ones tehre but it got busy by 1230. we ordered the spring rolls for appetizer but it was warm and not as i expected. wouldnt really recommend it. ordered the singapore noodles from their lunch menu for about $12.. it was preetty good. added the chili spices and was a ton better. it was a decent thai place for lunch.Special Features:
- service was great - love howOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/28/2011service was great - love how they actually listened to all special requests!! also, the coconut juice was a treatSpecial Features:
- The island BBQ pork was theOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/20/2011The island BBQ pork was the only dish worth writing about. It was absolutely marvelous.
- We had veggies rolls - whichOpentableVIPDined on 7/15/2011We had veggies rolls - which were a very weird consistency, absolutely drenched in peanut sauce, and pretty bland - and the worst Pad Thai I've had anywhere - gloppy, with a slightly ambiguous, "off" taste. The location and decor are great - hope the food improves....
- The food was amazing. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/13/2011The food was amazing. The service wasn't the best I have had but it wasn't horrible.Special Features:
- Memorable Downtown ThaiOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/15/2011Simple, elegant decor; extensive menu; tasty, imaginative food; generous portions; attentive and personable servers - can't wait to return!Special Features:
- The service was amazing, butOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/4/2011The service was amazing, but might also be because we were only 1 of 2 tables at 7pm on a Saturday night. The food was mediocre-have had better pan-asian food in SF. Would not go back and would not recommend it to others.
- My partner and I had a veryOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/2/2011My partner and I had a very nice time the service was attentive and the food was very good and the portions were nice. I would recommend Tara and I would dine there again.Special Features:
- Two thumbs uprunsterDined on 5/26/2011If you love flavorful freshly prepated Thai food, you will start considering Tara home away from home quickly....Special Features:
- Totally disappointed!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/20/2011Totally disappointed!!!! I specially asked if they do anything special for a birthday celebration, there was no response from the restaurant. The waiters and waitresses look half asleep, there was NO ambiance at all. Will not recommendation this place to anyone!
- We went on a Monday nightMlovelyVIPDined on 5/16/2011We went on a Monday night to avoid the crowd, so it was pretty quiet. The food was okay but nothing really stood out.
- Delightful selection thai regionOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/14/2011Excellent food with a surprisingly delightful and wider range of selections from different parts of the Indochinese peninsula than expected. We enjoyed the tea leaf salad, roti bread, beef and eggplant, and singapore noodles. Wonderful service, with some minor issues with language that were quickly resolved.Special Features:
- Everything was perfect! WeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/13/2011Everything was perfect! We were treated like kings even our 10 year old son! We highly recommend.Special Features:
- Good, except for sticky rice!NakaVIPDined on 5/6/2011Great food, except for the sticky rice. Sticky rice overcooked. I asked about the sticky rice, the waitress said that's how they make it(as if I did not know how to make sticky rice, I do. I have been making sticky rice since age 12). I told my friend that I would make it for her so she knows how it taste.