Tar & Roses
602 Santa Monica Blvd.
Santa Monica, CA 90401Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Tar & Roses
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.tarandroses.com/
- Phone: 3105870700x
- Hours of Operation:
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Vegetarian
- Executive Chef: Andrew Kirschner
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our patio area can accommodate up to 30 guests for a seated dinner or 40 guests for a cocktail reception. The space is suited to a wide array of gatherings from birthday celebrations to business meetings and rehearsal dinners. The patio features a retractable roof, overhead heaters and an intimate ambiance that creates a comfortable environment year round.
Parties between 31 and 100 can be accommodated with a full restaurant buyout.
All parties of ten or more are served a family-style menu that we work with you to plan.
Any party larger than ten requires a buy-out of the patio. The patio is available for the whole evening, or and early (5 - 8 pm) or late (830 - 1130 pm) partial buy-out. Please contact the restaurant directly for more information including pricing and menus.
- Private Party Contact: Matthew Steinhausen 3105870700x
- Special Events: Tar & Roses offers several special Suppers which can be booked with a week or more notice. These include Wood Roasted Goat, Standing Back Rib, Singaporean Chili Crab and Seafood Paella. Please contact the restaurant directly for more information or for bookings.
A word from Tar & Roses
Tar & Roses is located in Santa Monica, California.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Tar & Roses - Best Restaurants in Santa Monica ›
Tar & Roses reviews from OpenTable diners
231 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (198)special occasion (109)neighborhood gem (107)hot spot (103)romantic (72)notable wine list (69)good for groups (39)great for outdoor dining (36)late-night find (21)vibrant bar scene (12)great for lunch (5)scenic view (4)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Once Again a Long WaitWestsideFoodieVIPDined on 10/18/2014We put up with the abuse because the food, staff and management deliver. This is the second time we have had to wait over 30 minutes for a reservation. But the management always takes care of us with drinks and this time delivered some apps as we sat down. Overbooking is frequent, but they know how to recover and still make money. Great servers, unbelievably creative and well executed food - the Whole Fried Snapper is just great as are the gnocchi, the brussel sprouts and just about anything we have eaten there. These guys kill it with food - now they have to get a few more tables to get out on time!Special Features:
- DeliciousleighleighDined on 10/12/2014The food at Tar & Roses is absolutely amazing. I ordered the spare ribs as an appetizer and the duck as my main dish. Both were cooked to perfection. I would recommend asking for a table that is not directly by the kitchen, because it can be rather loud. If there are no other tables available, you will still have a wonderful dining experience with incredible food.Special Features:
- Gonna keep this short and sweet...chowdaDined on 10/11/2014Food is excellent, staff is kind and very prompt. If you're on a date ask to sit outside, you get a relaxing and romantic ambiance without all the noise from inside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentChwraeVIPDined on 10/10/2014The food was outstanding, service impeccable. We particularly liked the choice of small plates allowing us to try an assortment of dishes, which we shared. Nothing disappointed us, and our expectations were exceeded. Delicious food without being pretentious.Special Features:
- Needs A/CJessika72VIPDined on 10/4/2014Went on one of the hottest days of the year and it was hot inside. They need to turn on the A/C, no one wants to relax, drink wine and eat cheese at 80 degrees inside! The board (cheese, charcuterie and bruschetta) is fantastic with great accompaniments and unlimited free olives, amazing! The wines by the class selection is lacking and they need a few more options. The do offer half glasses for half price which is a great way to try the wines. The service was ok. We ordered espresso's and wine, took a while to get the espresso's (had to re ask) and the bartender (we sat at the bar) never offered us additional wine even though our glasses were empty long before our food was gone. She just stood around! The board prepares were great!Special Features:
- A classy gem in Santa MonicaGlyfadaDined on 10/2/2014Food is fantastic!! Service is excellent !! If you are visiting LA I would highly recommend this delightful and vibrant restaurant. The food is very very very good. Rush to dine here .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Goat SupperlittlegDined on 9/30/2014We had a large group, so we decided to make a reservation for the T&R Supper with goat, which you have to do at least a week in advance. We were in for such a treat! The service was amazing and the dinner even better. It started with a delicious charred lettuce salad and continued into the main course - a wonderful goat hand-picked just for us and lovingly slow cooked for over 24 hours, along with amazing roasted carrots and cous cous sides. The sauces that came with it were also divine. The wine kept flowing and the service was impeccable - we all had an amazing time and can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Good Service & Wine - Food OKSpankyVIPDined on 9/30/2014Some of the food is quite interesting for the foodie type, but we found it just OK. The bread brought to the table warm with grill marks and olive oil and taste fine, but is a bit too charred. The Duck will fine, it a little to simply done. The service was quite good. We enjoyed our time, but couldn't get excited about the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bland and tired foodOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 9/29/2014Maybe it was because we are on a Monday. Or maybe it was late in their service (8:30). But the food just wasn't stellar as we had expected it to be.Special Features:
- GreatElfianVIPDined on 9/29/2014First time I was impressed with food in Los Angeles. Service was also great; the restaurant also accommodated multiple changes in my reservation. The portions are a bit on the smaller side, but the taste was fantastic and harmonious.Special Features:
- Wonderful food, awful wait timesAmateurfoodcriticDined on 9/28/2014#1 The food is really quite good, esp the corn agnolotti and beet salad. Ambience is very nice. #2 I had a 8:45pm reservation (we did arrive on time) on a Friday and was not seated until 9:40pm. To be honest I'm not really used to being seated almost an hour after my original reservation time...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Experience but food too sweetgssmanDined on 9/25/2014This is a very interesting place with unique menu items. I went here with 2 friends as part of a planned tour of So Cal restaurants that serve bone marrow dishes. The bone marrow dish was good, but like all the dishes was more sweet than savory. The least sweet part of the meal was the dessert. It's fun to see what they do with unique ingredients like Oxtail and Pig tails but I prefer cooking where the seasoning and sauces bring out the freshness of the food. Tar & Roses is cooking is more of a showcase of how many unique and intricate and surprising flavors they can fit in one dish. Since I eat very little sweet in my regular diet it was a bit overwhelming. Enjoyed the experience but won't likely go back.Special Features:
- Talent and imaginationHungariansistersdineDined on 9/24/2014Not stuffy, or overdone, not expensive or complicated, just great food, well presented, with great flavours, seasoning and served impeccably with a smile. The kind of experience that is satisfying to the senses but so hard to achieve for most restaurants. This is why I trust open table wherever I dine in the world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice place - special foodFoeWraDined on 9/21/2014Highly recommend the vegetables - they are really special and taste delicious! Overall very pleasant experience, especially for couples, friends, families who want high quality food and have a conversation at the same time as these hot spot restaurant often tend to be very noisy.Special Features:
- KimmykatDined on 9/19/2014Food was great. Healthy and tasty. Will definitely come back again. I like that we were not rushed out of the place for a later seating. Thank you.Special Features:
- Great spot with out of town frndsSamanthaDined on 9/15/2014Checked out Tar & Roses while we were on holiday in California. Came highly reccomended from friends. They were very accommodating with our gluten and dairy free guest. The waiter knew everything about the menu and suggested great wine. Will be back when we are next in Santa Monica!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best food in Santa MonicaYogagirlDined on 9/15/2014Superb, could not be better we love it! Hidden gem in Santa Monica.Special Features:
- angeDined on 9/15/2014We love the food at Tar & Roses...and have always loved the ambiance...there was no acknowledgement to what had to be a broken air conditioning system Monday night...I can only assume the owner wasn't in the restaurant because I know he is very attentive...a drink offer would have been sweet.Special Features:
- YanaVIPDined on 9/14/2014Tasty food, especially the steak us great! Nice interior and atmosphere. Recommended!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bacon Popcorn!!!AndreaVIPDined on 9/13/2014Need I say more!!! The fried Sea Bass is a must try. Not only does it look beautiful it tastes even better.Special Features:
- Consistently greatPaliDinerVIPDined on 9/11/2014The food really tasty, the service great & attentive. We order same dishes everytime we go, the ribs & peas in a pod (if in season) and the whole fried fish, so we are in a rut, but the dishes are always good. Waiter was very attentive, not intrusive, water glasses filled without asking, and general manager Johnny very friendly when he came over to be sure everything was ok. Only one small nit picky point this time: i told them on the online reservation & when i confirmed the reservation by phone that it was our anniversary dinner and they said that if we ordered dessert (we did) that they would put a celebratory candle in it. Dessert came, no candle. Not a big thing, but they need better communication between host and waiter.Special Features:
- Fantastic placeJeffsonicaDined on 9/9/2014Grilled salad sound slike a bad idea but here it is exceptional along with everyone else. One of the best restaurants in all of LA>Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and winepecansandapplesDined on 9/8/2014Always a bit of a wait even when you have a reservation but the menu has some unique flavors and doesn't disappoint. Solid wine list, great place to take visitors.Special Features:
- great modern cuisine.derekDined on 9/8/2014A must try for any food fan. Don't be afraid to spend some money, it's worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great chefoverpricedVIPDined on 9/7/2014The food here is outstanding. The flavors the chef combines are incredible and the menu is very original. This was my third visit and it was the best yet. Love the charcuterie as well.Special Features:
- AmazingDeDeVIPDined on 9/7/2014The food here is really wonderful and unique. The oxtail dumplings are one of the most delicious things I have ever eaten. We had 3 orders. The hanger steak was cooked perfectly and the king crab with chili sauce was incredible. The desserts were all good, but the strawberry crostada was really fabulous. The service is great, wine list perfect and unique beers all add to the dining experience. The hardest part is getting a reservation!Special Features:
- Simply fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014Everyone should eat at Tar & Roses at least once; it is truly an amazing food experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Staylor973VIPDined on 9/4/2014Always good. This is a perfect place for a special occasion or if you need to impress the boss. The service is always on point and the food is sublime.Special Features:
- So soIanLDined on 9/4/2014Good cold starters but when the hot dishes arrived disappointment followed. A promising menu at a restaurant with ideas above its capabilities.
- Very Enjoyable!tokyofoodmavenDined on 9/3/2014Great appetizers/starters/small plates, terrific service, loved the ambiance and interior. Will be back for more! :)Special Features:
- new no 1occdocVIPDined on 8/31/2014FINALLY got in and it was great.Had whole fish. BEST EVER. There is a big selection and every thing looked interesting.Only flawas 30 minute wait for toffee pudding desert.Special Features:
- Oxtail dumplingsMaryamVIPDined on 8/30/2014The oxtail dumplings are reason enough to come back, again and again. Been here a handful of times and still great. Other favorites are the squid ink pasta, kale salad, and roasted beets. Waiter helpful with wine selection, spot on.Special Features:
- Still doing it rightMoosemanVIPDined on 8/26/2014Hadn't been back in a year. Tasted as good or better than it remembered. Wanted to try the whole fish, which they were out of the last time we were there. It was fantastic! Duck was excellent. Bone marrow was very good, but I like the presentation and accompaniment better at Pizzeria Mozza. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dissapointed 2nd time aroundChicLAMomDined on 8/26/2014This is our second visit to the resturant. The first time our group was blown away and taken by surprise with the food. Just the right combinations of spices and textures. First off the bread is outstanding, freshly toasted. However, they could be a bit more generous with oil and vinegar. We started off with the kale salad and it was wilted and lacked flavor. For our main entre and I beliive is their signature dish we ordered the "Red Snapper" it is presented in such a unique way. An entire fish proped up and carfully diced so that you can easily pull the pieces away (no utensils needed). It was served with an asian dipping sauce and soba noodles. The fish was over salted and killed all flavor. We will not be returning.Special Features:
- AndyKAndyKDined on 8/24/2014Glad we found this place via Yelp. Food and service were amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous find!JTsui1465Dined on 8/23/2014Highly recommend for "foodies". The whole fried Snapper was amazing and we highly recommend - very white, flaky and tender! Everything was top notch. From the food, service, and ambience. The "tar" bar for dessert perfect. My husband said that was probably THE BEST dessert he has ever had.Special Features:
- I will return and...LJJayDined on 8/20/2014...request Jeff as my server. He was welcoming and truly seemed to enjoy what he was doing. He steered us very well on our selections from the menu. The Scottish Salmon was superb!Special Features:
- not our fav but highly recommended.OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/16/2014Stuck at a table by the entrance, too large for 3 and hard to overcome . Duck should be cooked more. Chicken and salmon excellent altho salmon could have been cooked more. Mgr came over to apologize for the empty corner table behind us that stood vacant during our dinner which was nice and appreciated. Everyone super nice and accommodating
- Amazing!Foodie101Dined on 8/15/2014This is one of my favorite spots to go to in Santa Monica...so whenever we have visitors this is definitely on the list of restaurants to go to. The waiter we had was amazing, and recommended us the right amount of proportions and "must-have" items. He didn't disappoint. I very rarely ever write a review, but we were raving about the T&R all weekend, and felt it was worth a great review. Double thumbs up!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely loved everything!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/15/2014Food, service, and ambience were perfect! It was my second visit and it was as memorable as my first dining experience! Food melts in your mouth and cooked to perfection!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.