Tar & Roses
602 Santa Monica Blvd.
Santa Monica, CA 90401Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Tar & Roses
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.tarandroses.com/
- Phone: (310) 587-0700
- Hours of Operation:
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Vegetarian
- Executive Chef: Andrew Kirschner
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our patio area can accommodate up to 30 guests for a seated dinner or 40 guests for a cocktail reception. The space is suited to a wide array of gatherings from birthday celebrations to business meetings and rehearsal dinners. The patio features a retractable roof, overhead heaters and an intimate ambiance that creates a comfortable environment year round.
Parties between 31 and 100 can be accommodated with a full restaurant buyout.
All parties of ten or more are served a family-style menu that we work with you to plan.
Any party larger than ten requires a buy-out of the patio. The patio is available for the whole evening, or and early (5 - 8 pm) or late (830 - 1130 pm) partial buy-out. Please contact the restaurant directly for more information including pricing and menus.
- Private Party Contact: Matthew Steinhausen 3105870700x
- Special Events: Tar & Roses offers several special Suppers which can be booked with a week or more notice. These include Wood Roasted Goat, Standing Back Rib, Singaporean Chili Crab and Seafood Paella. Please contact the restaurant directly for more information or for bookings.
A word from Tar & Roses
Tar & Roses is located in Santa Monica, California.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Tar & Roses - Best Restaurants in Santa Monica ›
Tar & Roses reviews from OpenTable diners
209 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (182)hot spot (109)neighborhood gem (97)special occasion (92)romantic (72)notable wine list (67)good for groups (42)great for outdoor dining (35)late-night find (17)vibrant bar scene (12)kid-friendly (3)great for lunch (3)scenic view (3)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Great spot and not overdone!MichaelDined on 11/18/2014From the hostess desk and the staff, the entire experience was fun, chic, casual and comfortable. Joe was helpful, great-natured, knowledgeable and never made us feel anything but welcome and special. Great menu; lots of choices at all sizes and sophistications, plenty of choices in the beer and wine department, and just a great overall happy ambiance about this place - we will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small Plate HeavenSusanMDined on 11/16/2014I'm betting the entrees here are fantastic, as I saw a few go by our table... but we had a late night supper and decided to enjoy several small plates, including T&R's version of crab cakes, bone marrow, squash, and english peas. Each item was delicious and unique, and the service was superb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/16/2014The two of us splice 6 of their small plates and 2 desserts. Everything we ordered was delectable, though our favorites were the Yellowtail Crudo, the lemon gnocchi, and the kale and persimmon salad. Our desserts, the strawberry crostada and chocolate tar bar were both excellent. Furthermore, the waiter was knowledgeable and attentive. Our water glasses were filled before they even became half empty and dishes were cleared right away. My only complaint is that between the loud music and other diners talking it was hard to carry a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the top four restaurants in L.A.SnJBVIPDined on 11/15/2014Tar and Roses has continued to be one of the top restaurants in L.A., along with Riva Bella, Factory Kitchen, and Il Pastaio, still. Republique is a fun experience except for the communal tables and although the food isn't as special as it seemed at the outset, some dishes can be very good. No rating on AOC yet. Tar and Roses has the best wines anywhere and the waiters quickly get what you are looking for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's not often they live up to hypeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/15/2014I had heard about Tar & Roses from too many friends to count. Normally when something is hyped up that much, the actual experience is somewhat disappointing. For once, it's not. Just GO. The yellowtail crudo and the bruschetta were the best, in my opinion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was suculent and amazing!AbigaileDined on 11/13/2014The staff are amazing. We were seated promptly after most of our party showed up. The waiter informed us what was not on the menu...and then informed us again when the item was back on the menu. I left a bit early but was told by a colleague the restaurant needed the table for another party and asked them if they would relinquish it for a complimentary glass of wine to enjoy in their seating area. Excellent Customer service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tar and Roses impressive as alwaysAhf318VIPDined on 11/11/2014I have dined here several times and always leave happy and excited to plan another dinner here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out of Towners find Delightful RestaurantPierre3Dined on 11/11/2014Tar & Roses came up online as the No. 1 rated Santa Monica restaurant, so how could we lose? Upon arrival we found the place welcoming, cozy with nice ambient lighting and trendy, up scale decor. Excellent wine and menu choices; my sea bass and his seafood bowl were delightful. Top notch waiter. We would have given this place the highest review, except for one disappointment. We sat near the kitchen and overheard a staff person tongue lashing a cook. Very odd that he didn't realize all tables nearby were forced to listen to his unpleasant rant. Excellence comes at a price, but this display worked against him.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely in our "Top 3!"JMendozaDined on 11/10/2014Worth the drive, and honestly, one of the best meals we've ever treated ourselves to... It's both refreshing & exciting to find a place that effortlessly lends itself to the main-event: FOOD. The staff are attentive and the prices are just right. My husband & I appreciate a restaurant where the food takes center-stage, and where the passion & love of food-craft is tangible. We enjoyed six selections from the menu + libations, and from start-to-finish, none disappointed: Charcuterie, Bone Marrow, Oxtail Dumplings, Balsamic Glazed Ribs, Hanger Steak, Honeycomb Ice Cream & Anderson Valley Blood Orange Gose. We look forward to many more dining adventures @ Tar&Roses and will be bringing other foodie friends/family along for the ride! Thank you!Special Features:
- blown away!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/8/2014came here with my wife for 6th anniversary and was extremely impressed. The service was awesome, our server Joe walked the perfect fine line between being personal and professional. All of his recommendations were spot on and his knowledge and warmth made the experience all the better. The food was amazing. our meal included 3 item meat & cheese, a chicken liver crostini, bone marrow, lemon ricotta gnocchi, rib eye for two and a side of king trumpet mushrooms with a soft egg all the food was stellar. Can't wait to come back again and try more items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IncredibleEllieDined on 11/8/2014From the moment we walked in until the second we left the service was 5 star. We had reservations and were seated immediately. Our server, Matt, was great. Knowledgable about the menu and wine and always there if we needed anything. The food was incredible. We ordered all small plates. We started with a cheese plate, then had the gnocchi, carbonara, ribs, oxtail dumplings and the beets. We definitely ordered too much for the two off us. We also had dessert - the tar bar. Everything was top notch. I was happy that we weren't rushed out even though it was a Saturday night and they were booked solid. We will definitely be coming back next time we are in Santa Monica.Special Features:
- FantastichuniejarDined on 11/7/2014Every dish we ordered was amazing! Just enough spice, tart, zest, and heat with every bite and then some. Highly recommend the oxtail dumplings and the Singaporean chili crab cake.Special Features:
- solid foodsarahkmgDined on 11/2/2014Solid food, although was not a huge fan of the duck entree. Charcuterie/cheese board was a nice way to start off the night. Service was great.Definitely make a reservation as it gets pretty crowded.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great service!FoodiemomDined on 11/1/2014The scene is vibrant, the food is inventive and excellent, the service is fantastic! We ordered the King Trumpet Mushrooms and Singaporean Chili Crab Cake to start. We asked our waiter to pair it with a wine. He suggested a Rioja which was perfect! The trumpet mushrooms had a soft boiled egg with it, we mixed it up and what a great dish! The Crab Cake with thick with lots a crab. The sauce was unique, sort of sweet and salty. So good! Our main dish was the Shellfish Pot. Another hit! Everything was cooked just right! We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable mealJleonar1VIPDined on 10/31/2014Started with grilled shrimp on a skewer. Shrimp were undercooked. Not a great way to start our meal. All other dishes were very tasty, seasoned and well presented.
- Best Birthday!ClaireDined on 10/28/2014The food, staff, ambiance, Tar and Roses has it all! I had my going away dinner at T&R when I moved from LA. The staff accommodated a party of 10, our server Sarah was on point and friendly. We always enjoyed being in her section. The going away dinner was a perfect, but what makes T&R my favorite place isn't just the ambience and the truly amazing food. The best part is that you are not just a faceless diner to the staff. A year and a half after I moved from LA I came back to have my 30th birthday dinner with a friend. Sarah wasn't out waitress but she remembered me and came over and said hello. The staff surprised me with ice cream with a candle. I nearly cried. Thank you Tar and Roses, you are everything a restaurant should be! <3Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Tapas Style Dining!Natdog29Dined on 10/27/2014Amazing selection of small & large plates fit for a foodies palate. Great "design-your-own" charcuterie board including some excellent meats & cheeses as wells as some wonderful bruschetta selections - the duck was amazing! Lemon ricotta gnocchi were like little pillows of deliciousness! Bone marrow, crab cake, jerusalem artichokes, brussel sprouts - all fantastic! A nice wine selection & the service was very prompt & attentive without being "hovering" or rushed. Great atmosphere :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the hypeDinerVIPDined on 10/26/2014This is an eclectic restaurant and they have some good dishes. Nothing was outstanding.. The ribs were incredibly fatty (the waiter took them off the check) and the dishes were just too far out there for me to recommend this restaurant. I know they have a lot of fans, i am just not one of themSpecial Features:
- Once Again a Long WaitWestsideFoodieVIPDined on 10/18/2014We put up with the abuse because the food, staff and management deliver. This is the second time we have had to wait over 30 minutes for a reservation. But the management always takes care of us with drinks and this time delivered some apps as we sat down. Overbooking is frequent, but they know how to recover and still make money. Great servers, unbelievably creative and well executed food - the Whole Fried Snapper is just great as are the gnocchi, the brussel sprouts and just about anything we have eaten there. These guys kill it with food - now they have to get a few more tables to get out on time!Special Features:
- DeliciousleighleighDined on 10/12/2014The food at Tar & Roses is absolutely amazing. I ordered the spare ribs as an appetizer and the duck as my main dish. Both were cooked to perfection. I would recommend asking for a table that is not directly by the kitchen, because it can be rather loud. If there are no other tables available, you will still have a wonderful dining experience with incredible food.Special Features:
- Gonna keep this short and sweet...chowdaDined on 10/11/2014Food is excellent, staff is kind and very prompt. If you're on a date ask to sit outside, you get a relaxing and romantic ambiance without all the noise from inside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentChwraeVIPDined on 10/10/2014The food was outstanding, service impeccable. We particularly liked the choice of small plates allowing us to try an assortment of dishes, which we shared. Nothing disappointed us, and our expectations were exceeded. Delicious food without being pretentious.Special Features:
- Needs A/CJessika72VIPDined on 10/4/2014Went on one of the hottest days of the year and it was hot inside. They need to turn on the A/C, no one wants to relax, drink wine and eat cheese at 80 degrees inside! The board (cheese, charcuterie and bruschetta) is fantastic with great accompaniments and unlimited free olives, amazing! The wines by the class selection is lacking and they need a few more options. The do offer half glasses for half price which is a great way to try the wines. The service was ok. We ordered espresso's and wine, took a while to get the espresso's (had to re ask) and the bartender (we sat at the bar) never offered us additional wine even though our glasses were empty long before our food was gone. She just stood around! The board prepares were great!Special Features:
- A classy gem in Santa MonicaGlyfadaDined on 10/2/2014Food is fantastic!! Service is excellent !! If you are visiting LA I would highly recommend this delightful and vibrant restaurant. The food is very very very good. Rush to dine here .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Goat SupperlittlegDined on 9/30/2014We had a large group, so we decided to make a reservation for the T&R Supper with goat, which you have to do at least a week in advance. We were in for such a treat! The service was amazing and the dinner even better. It started with a delicious charred lettuce salad and continued into the main course - a wonderful goat hand-picked just for us and lovingly slow cooked for over 24 hours, along with amazing roasted carrots and cous cous sides. The sauces that came with it were also divine. The wine kept flowing and the service was impeccable - we all had an amazing time and can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Good Service & Wine - Food OKSpankyVIPDined on 9/30/2014Some of the food is quite interesting for the foodie type, but we found it just OK. The bread brought to the table warm with grill marks and olive oil and taste fine, but is a bit too charred. The Duck will fine, it a little to simply done. The service was quite good. We enjoyed our time, but couldn't get excited about the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bland and tired foodOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 9/29/2014Maybe it was because we are on a Monday. Or maybe it was late in their service (8:30). But the food just wasn't stellar as we had expected it to be.Special Features:
- GreatElfianVIPDined on 9/29/2014First time I was impressed with food in Los Angeles. Service was also great; the restaurant also accommodated multiple changes in my reservation. The portions are a bit on the smaller side, but the taste was fantastic and harmonious.Special Features:
- Wonderful food, awful wait timesAmateurfoodcriticDined on 9/28/2014#1 The food is really quite good, esp the corn agnolotti and beet salad. Ambience is very nice. #2 I had a 8:45pm reservation (we did arrive on time) on a Friday and was not seated until 9:40pm. To be honest I'm not really used to being seated almost an hour after my original reservation time...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Experience but food too sweetgssmanDined on 9/25/2014This is a very interesting place with unique menu items. I went here with 2 friends as part of a planned tour of So Cal restaurants that serve bone marrow dishes. The bone marrow dish was good, but like all the dishes was more sweet than savory. The least sweet part of the meal was the dessert. It's fun to see what they do with unique ingredients like Oxtail and Pig tails but I prefer cooking where the seasoning and sauces bring out the freshness of the food. Tar & Roses is cooking is more of a showcase of how many unique and intricate and surprising flavors they can fit in one dish. Since I eat very little sweet in my regular diet it was a bit overwhelming. Enjoyed the experience but won't likely go back.Special Features:
- Talent and imaginationHungariansistersdineDined on 9/24/2014Not stuffy, or overdone, not expensive or complicated, just great food, well presented, with great flavours, seasoning and served impeccably with a smile. The kind of experience that is satisfying to the senses but so hard to achieve for most restaurants. This is why I trust open table wherever I dine in the world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice place - special foodFoeWraDined on 9/21/2014Highly recommend the vegetables - they are really special and taste delicious! Overall very pleasant experience, especially for couples, friends, families who want high quality food and have a conversation at the same time as these hot spot restaurant often tend to be very noisy.Special Features:
- KimmykatDined on 9/19/2014Food was great. Healthy and tasty. Will definitely come back again. I like that we were not rushed out of the place for a later seating. Thank you.Special Features:
- Great spot with out of town frndsSamanthaDined on 9/15/2014Checked out Tar & Roses while we were on holiday in California. Came highly reccomended from friends. They were very accommodating with our gluten and dairy free guest. The waiter knew everything about the menu and suggested great wine. Will be back when we are next in Santa Monica!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best food in Santa MonicaYogagirlDined on 9/15/2014Superb, could not be better we love it! Hidden gem in Santa Monica.Special Features:
- angeDined on 9/15/2014We love the food at Tar & Roses...and have always loved the ambiance...there was no acknowledgement to what had to be a broken air conditioning system Monday night...I can only assume the owner wasn't in the restaurant because I know he is very attentive...a drink offer would have been sweet.Special Features:
- YanaVIPDined on 9/14/2014Tasty food, especially the steak us great! Nice interior and atmosphere. Recommended!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bacon Popcorn!!!AndreaVIPDined on 9/13/2014Need I say more!!! The fried Sea Bass is a must try. Not only does it look beautiful it tastes even better.Special Features:
- Consistently greatPaliDinerVIPDined on 9/11/2014The food really tasty, the service great & attentive. We order same dishes everytime we go, the ribs & peas in a pod (if in season) and the whole fried fish, so we are in a rut, but the dishes are always good. Waiter was very attentive, not intrusive, water glasses filled without asking, and general manager Johnny very friendly when he came over to be sure everything was ok. Only one small nit picky point this time: i told them on the online reservation & when i confirmed the reservation by phone that it was our anniversary dinner and they said that if we ordered dessert (we did) that they would put a celebratory candle in it. Dessert came, no candle. Not a big thing, but they need better communication between host and waiter.Special Features:
- Fantastic placeJeffsonicaDined on 9/9/2014Grilled salad sound slike a bad idea but here it is exceptional along with everyone else. One of the best restaurants in all of LA>Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.