Tar & Roses
602 Santa Monica Blvd.
Santa Monica, CA 90401Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Tar & Roses
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.tarandroses.com/
- Phone: 3105870700x
- Hours of Operation:
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Vegetarian
- Executive Chef: Andrew Kirschner
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our patio area can accommodate up to 30 guests for a seated dinner or 40 guests for a cocktail reception. The space is suited to a wide array of gatherings from birthday celebrations to business meetings and rehearsal dinners. The patio features a retractable roof, overhead heaters and an intimate ambiance that creates a comfortable environment year round.
Parties between 31 and 100 can be accommodated with a full restaurant buyout.
All parties of ten or more are served a family-style menu that we work with you to plan.
Any party larger than ten requires a buy-out of the patio. The patio is available for the whole evening, or and early (5 - 8 pm) or late (830 - 1130 pm) partial buy-out. Please contact the restaurant directly for more information including pricing and menus.
- Private Party Contact: Christopher Fehlinger 3105870700x
- Special Events: Tar & Roses offers several special Suppers which can be booked with a week or more notice. These include Goat, Standing Back Rib, Wood- Roasted Redfish and Paella. Please contact the restaurant directly for more information or for bookings.
A word from Tar & Roses
Tar & Roses is located in Santa Monica, California.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Tar & Roses - Best Restaurants in Santa Monica ›
Tar & Roses reviews from OpenTable diners
219 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (186)special occasion (110)neighborhood gem (101)hot spot (89)notable wine list (66)romantic (64)great for outdoor dining (33)good for groups (33)late-night find (20)vibrant bar scene (11)great for lunch (5)scenic view (4)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Great spot with out of town frndsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/15/2014Checked out Tar & Roses while we were on holiday in California. Came highly reccomended from friends. They were very accommodating with our gluten and dairy free guest. The waiter knew everything about the menu and suggested great wine. Will be back when we are next in Santa Monica!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best food in Santa MonicaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/15/2014Superb, could not be better we love it! Hidden gem in Santa Monica.Special Features:
- angeDined on 9/15/2014We love the food at Tar & Roses...and have always loved the ambiance...there was no acknowledgement to what had to be a broken air conditioning system Monday night...I can only assume the owner wasn't in the restaurant because I know he is very attentive...a drink offer would have been sweet.Special Features:
- YanaVIPDined on 9/14/2014Tasty food, especially the steak us great! Nice interior and atmosphere. Recommended!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bacon Popcorn!!!AndreaVIPDined on 9/13/2014Need I say more!!! The fried Sea Bass is a must try. Not only does it look beautiful it tastes even better.Special Features:
- Consistently greatPaliDinerVIPDined on 9/11/2014The food really tasty, the service great & attentive. We order same dishes everytime we go, the ribs & peas in a pod (if in season) and the whole fried fish, so we are in a rut, but the dishes are always good. Waiter was very attentive, not intrusive, water glasses filled without asking, and general manager Johnny very friendly when he came over to be sure everything was ok. Only one small nit picky point this time: i told them on the online reservation & when i confirmed the reservation by phone that it was our anniversary dinner and they said that if we ordered dessert (we did) that they would put a celebratory candle in it. Dessert came, no candle. Not a big thing, but they need better communication between host and waiter.Special Features:
- Fantastic placeJeffsonicaDined on 9/9/2014Grilled salad sound slike a bad idea but here it is exceptional along with everyone else. One of the best restaurants in all of LA>Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and winepecansandapplesDined on 9/8/2014Always a bit of a wait even when you have a reservation but the menu has some unique flavors and doesn't disappoint. Solid wine list, great place to take visitors.Special Features:
- great modern cuisine.derekDined on 9/8/2014A must try for any food fan. Don't be afraid to spend some money, it's worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great chefoverpricedVIPDined on 9/7/2014The food here is outstanding. The flavors the chef combines are incredible and the menu is very original. This was my third visit and it was the best yet. Love the charcuterie as well.Special Features:
- AmazingDeDeVIPDined on 9/7/2014The food here is really wonderful and unique. The oxtail dumplings are one of the most delicious things I have ever eaten. We had 3 orders. The hanger steak was cooked perfectly and the king crab with chili sauce was incredible. The desserts were all good, but the strawberry crostada was really fabulous. The service is great, wine list perfect and unique beers all add to the dining experience. The hardest part is getting a reservation!Special Features:
- Simply fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014Everyone should eat at Tar & Roses at least once; it is truly an amazing food experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Staylor973VIPDined on 9/4/2014Always good. This is a perfect place for a special occasion or if you need to impress the boss. The service is always on point and the food is sublime.Special Features:
- So soIanLDined on 9/4/2014Good cold starters but when the hot dishes arrived disappointment followed. A promising menu at a restaurant with ideas above its capabilities.
- Very Enjoyable!tokyofoodmavenDined on 9/3/2014Great appetizers/starters/small plates, terrific service, loved the ambiance and interior. Will be back for more! :)Special Features:
- new no 1occdocVIPDined on 8/31/2014FINALLY got in and it was great.Had whole fish. BEST EVER. There is a big selection and every thing looked interesting.Only flawas 30 minute wait for toffee pudding desert.Special Features:
- Oxtail dumplingsMaryamVIPDined on 8/30/2014The oxtail dumplings are reason enough to come back, again and again. Been here a handful of times and still great. Other favorites are the squid ink pasta, kale salad, and roasted beets. Waiter helpful with wine selection, spot on.Special Features:
- Still doing it rightMoosemanVIPDined on 8/26/2014Hadn't been back in a year. Tasted as good or better than it remembered. Wanted to try the whole fish, which they were out of the last time we were there. It was fantastic! Duck was excellent. Bone marrow was very good, but I like the presentation and accompaniment better at Pizzeria Mozza. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dissapointed 2nd time aroundChicLAMomDined on 8/26/2014This is our second visit to the resturant. The first time our group was blown away and taken by surprise with the food. Just the right combinations of spices and textures. First off the bread is outstanding, freshly toasted. However, they could be a bit more generous with oil and vinegar. We started off with the kale salad and it was wilted and lacked flavor. For our main entre and I beliive is their signature dish we ordered the "Red Snapper" it is presented in such a unique way. An entire fish proped up and carfully diced so that you can easily pull the pieces away (no utensils needed). It was served with an asian dipping sauce and soba noodles. The fish was over salted and killed all flavor. We will not be returning.Special Features:
- AndyKAndyKDined on 8/24/2014Glad we found this place via Yelp. Food and service were amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous find!JTsui1465Dined on 8/23/2014Highly recommend for "foodies". The whole fried Snapper was amazing and we highly recommend - very white, flaky and tender! Everything was top notch. From the food, service, and ambience. The "tar" bar for dessert perfect. My husband said that was probably THE BEST dessert he has ever had.Special Features:
- I will return and...LJJayDined on 8/20/2014...request Jeff as my server. He was welcoming and truly seemed to enjoy what he was doing. He steered us very well on our selections from the menu. The Scottish Salmon was superb!Special Features:
- not our fav but highly recommended.OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/16/2014Stuck at a table by the entrance, too large for 3 and hard to overcome . Duck should be cooked more. Chicken and salmon excellent altho salmon could have been cooked more. Mgr came over to apologize for the empty corner table behind us that stood vacant during our dinner which was nice and appreciated. Everyone super nice and accommodating
- Amazing!Foodie101Dined on 8/15/2014This is one of my favorite spots to go to in Santa Monica...so whenever we have visitors this is definitely on the list of restaurants to go to. The waiter we had was amazing, and recommended us the right amount of proportions and "must-have" items. He didn't disappoint. I very rarely ever write a review, but we were raving about the T&R all weekend, and felt it was worth a great review. Double thumbs up!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely loved everything!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/15/2014Food, service, and ambience were perfect! It was my second visit and it was as memorable as my first dining experience! Food melts in your mouth and cooked to perfection!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot!marieepDined on 8/14/2014We loved this place. The oxtail dumplings were one of the best items we have ever ordered in a restaurant, period. The whole friend snapper for two and the mushrooms and egg were great as well. Our server was wonderful and offered selections that we enjoyed immensely. Would definitely return. Thank you, Tar & Roses!Special Features:
- very disappointingLimonDined on 8/12/2014My friend had dined here and said it wasn't up to the buzz following it. I ignored her and listened to all of the positive reviews. I should have listened to her. For starters, the receptionist was very rude. that set the mood for your dinner and they happiest person should greet you. She really had a bad attitude. The most important part for me is the food, and that was truly mediocre. Furthermore, if you want a cocktail, they are not licensed to serve them, so its only wine on the menu. There are plenty of other restaurants to go to that are far superior to this one.
- BerlinDined on 8/11/2014Sieht man von der ohrenbetäubenden Lautstärke einmal ab, an die man sich aber auch schließlich gewöhnt, ist dieses Szene-Lokal von der Qualität des Essens und auch vom sehr aufmerksamen Service her, sehr zu empfehlen. Alle Fischgerichte waren richtig frisch und gut gewürzt, die Weine vielleicht etwas zu teuer. Die gute Stimmung dort lässt dann auch die Rechnung vergessen, die in einem Umschlag mit der Aufschrift „damage” überreicht wird.Special Features:
- Clearly the Best!!!!luvfoodVIPDined on 8/10/2014This is clearly one the best restaurants in the Los Angeles area. A must try but make sure you make reservations well in advance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lecker!leckerDined on 8/8/2014This place was recommended to my boyfriend and me by our co-workers and when my parents came into town to visit we took them there. It was a great setting to take my parents as it was a relaxing/more quiet setting where you were able to converse/catch-up while experiencing great food and a high scale atmosphere. The staff was very attentive and friendly and explained the unique foods in a knowledgeable way. I highly recommend: the oxtail dumpling, the ribs and the rib eye for two (one of the tastiest steaks I have ever had). Also the Brander white wine is one of the best white wines I have had. Thank you for a great night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lamb belly, hmmmJoecaVIPDined on 8/8/2014This was really a good surprise. Being used to Northern California cuisine with all its focus on ingredients it was really a great surprise to find the same in Santa Monica. I like the small plates and appetizers. Oxtail dumplings and lamb belly were great; peppers, too. The wine list was comprehensive with a good choice by the glass. The waiter was knowledgeable about the wine and provided a great suggestion. We had bruschette and some cheeses as appetizers. Frankly, next time I would cut this down a little. The bruschette are just so big. It almost counts as a meal to have a few. The other courses were of a more reasonable size to try a few. I had an Affogato as desert and it was very big. Good to share. A really great find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Little DisappointedKathleenLVIPDined on 8/8/2014This restaurant was rated very highly by Trip Advisor and elsewhere, but it wasn't our favorite of the restaurants we tried in Santa Monica and Venice. The bone marrow appetizer, highly recommended, just tasted like warm fat to us.Special Features:
- Snapper for 2 must getSusanDined on 8/8/2014This place has a nice setting and ambiance. Would be good for dates and special occasions. The Snapper for 2 is a definite must try! Fish is very meaty and crispy. Maybe so much that it might be more than enough for 2 people! Also tried the bone marrow, mushrooms, and the cauliflower. They're all alright. I felt it was a bit too bland and could use more flavor. I wouldn't get them again. Definitely must get that fish if you dine here! Parking: Valet at $8Special Features:
- FantasticHbolesDined on 8/7/2014Delicious food, awesome service, cool vibe... We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Joel CJoec17Dined on 8/7/2014Could not have asked for a better night. Give it a chance. You won't regret itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing dining experienceWindyCitydiner29VIPDined on 8/6/2014We came to Santa Monica for a conference and looked up articles on the top restaurants. Tar and Roses was a true find! We had 9:15 dinner reservations (because that was all we could get 2 days prior). All of the food was delicious and skillfully prepared. We sat on the outdoor patio which was a bit quieter and more intimate. Our server was fantastic. She was helpful in our selections and all of the food was brought out in a timely way. The food had unique flavors and combinations--all very fresh. We really liked the atmosphere too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thai Snapper is amazing!westy4foodVIPDined on 8/5/2014Try this amazing fish for two...and I dare you to find a better main course in all of LA!Special Features:
- AmazingyummyyDined on 8/3/2014Tar & Roses was amazing, everything about it- food, service, locationSpecial Features:
- yomamafooVIPDined on 7/31/2014Amazing food and service! Best restaurant I've been to in Santa Monica. Highly recommend for dinner.Special Features:
- Gnocchi was topscwbradford74Dined on 7/30/2014Overall good. Gnocchi was best of three dishes. Fluffy and light. Lemon dill sauce had right amount of tang to it. Balsamic glazed ribs were tender, but I expected to taste the balsamic more. Fried snapper was good, but not great. Coating could have used some more seasoning. Presentation exceeded flavor of dish. Wait staff and hosts were top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.