55 Mill Street
Toronto, ON M5A 3C4Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.tappo.ca/
- Phone: 6474301111
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 4:30pm; Dinner: Nightly: 5:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Tappo
This restaurant in the trendy Distillery District isn't afraid to experiment with dishes that aren't on their menu. If you do want to stay with what is on their Italian and Mediterranean-based menu you can sample some of our specialties like grilled veal chop, seafood pasta with lobster, mussels, crabs, shrimp and calamari. The warm, casual space also features a wine bar with vino from all over the world.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Tappo reviews from OpenTable diners
- Fabulous LocationLoCalDined on 3/30/2014Upon arrival, we had our doubts, as we were left at the door for several minutes before being acknowledged by any staff walking by us on a busy Sunday evening. However, once seated at our reserved table, the customer service was good. The portion sizes are generous - the carpaccio melts in your mouth and was enough for two to share. The interior look is unique, with it being part of the old Distillery, and it is very nicely lit with chandeliers that reflect in huge mirrors behind the bar. Look forward to enjoying lunch and a glass of wine on their patio.Special Features:
- Catching up with my girlfriendsDiscerningDinerDined on 3/20/2014This was our second visit to Tappo and we had another nice meal. A lovely gentleman server let us chat uninterrupted for as long as we liked before and after our meal. His wine recommendations were appreciated and the food was delicious. We shall return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good choice before Soulpepper playCleoVIPDined on 2/22/2014Went with friends who hadn't been before and they were very glad they know about this place now as they have Soulpepper season's tickets. Service was friendly and efficient. Recommended a delicious bottle of wine to bridge our different entrees. Brought me a marrow spoon for my osso buco. First course salads and entrees were all very good, although my osso buco was a bit dry. Overall, very enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Request honoredBellaDined on 1/31/2014In the request section of open table I asked for a round table for four and was surprisingly accommodated. Service was great, food delicious but lack of double doors made it drafty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Night out at tappoDiner77Dined on 1/24/2014Our server was great, recommending both wine and dishes. He even offered to charge a dead cell phone for us! Food was amazing and service was excellent.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/10/2014the food was good, the seafood was not as good as the steak. the service is a bit hit and miss.Special Features:
- Great ambianceEllieDined on 12/15/2013Wonderful food, creative menu, and they had gluten-free pasta for one of us who is gluten-intolerant. Many Italian wines. Friendly knowledgeable wait staff. We went on the last evening of the Historic Distillery District Christmas market, so it was packed later in the evening. Only problem is that there is NO DOUBLE DOOR, and the one there is didn't have a door-closer, so we froze every time the door opened.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food Pricey DrinksP1nkMart1n1Dined on 12/10/2013Excellent food but portions were smallish and some garnish would enhance plate appeal. Cocktails were very meagre (glass half filled) which set a tone of disappointment even before the delightful specials were announced. There was a very cold draft so be sure to ask for a table in the centre away from the doors on cold evenings. Or keep your coat handy. Summer patio? Waiter, I'll have a beer! Cheers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service.....so so foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/29/2013We arrived just ahead of our reservation and were told we had a table then just as we were about to be seated the table was magically already promised...we were seated at the bar and provided a complimentary drink. The service here is impeccible. Every waiter including the bartender were attentive. The waiter we had was excelllent he even tried to speak French for us. I would recommend The atmosphere for couples as it was quaint and lively. In regard to food....just so so. The salad I had was definitely nothing special nor were the dinners, pasta & sword fish especially considering the price! But for atmosphere, drinks & impeccible service I would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tappo - great dinnerMikePDined on 11/13/2013We decided to try Tappo after seeing it listed on the Distillery District restaurant list, and very happy we did: we had the octopus off the regular menu and the venison special. Both were excellent! Finished off with the cheesecake and coffee. Wish we'd had room to try one or two of the appetizers. It's on the pricey side, but we'd definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If i had to choose ...DineoutmavenDined on 11/8/2013The entire meal was superb. Portions a bit small for the price. The tiramisu is worth the trip even if you are not eating there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restarant overall just..MicsciDined on 10/22/2013.... A bit pricey. The food was amazing as was ther service, just found te prices a bit high.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tappo tickles the tastebudsCarolineDined on 10/17/2013The ambience was perfect not too quiet not too loud. The service was fantastic, it was all about us the diners. The food c'est magnifico. Set in the heart of the distillery district Tappo is a real gem for any occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- consistently good food and servicehoneybeeVIPDined on 10/17/2013we have been here many times when attending theatre in the area, and the food and service have been consistently good. this visit, there was a large group just having drinks around the bar, so t was much noisier than normal, but the atmosphere is still lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing :)drue87Dined on 10/16/2013Been here twice now! Amazing food, great service and ambiance. Definately plan on returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tappo: a fine pre-theatre choiceQForVVIPDined on 10/8/2013Tappo offers a fine selection of Italian menu choices, served with a smile and friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs some improvementFoodenthusiastVIPDined on 10/2/2013This was our 3rd visit to Tappo. The first 2 times were great - excellent food and service. Our most recent visit was a disappointment. Although the restaurant was not packed when we arrived, the service was slow and inattentive. Compared to our first 2 visits, this was most disappointing as we brought friends with us this time who had not been there before. While the food quality was still really good, the service put a damper on the evening. Perhaps some staff were away or were new, but we felt ignored part of the time. Perhaps in time this situation will change for the better.Special Features:
- great music, poor serviceEPICmealtimeDined on 8/22/2013We were celebrating a birthday dinner on Thursday, as they have live jazz, and sadly the music was the best part. First, the food took forever to come out. We waited for about 45 minutes to receive our entrees, and when we did receive it, some of our meals were wrong. I ordered a rack of lamb, and instead received a tenderloin piece (i think?) and what was weird is that it was dressed the same as my husband's NY striploin? Basically, I didn't receive what I ordered. My mom ordered octopus and got a portion that would rival an appetizer - 2 tentacles. We saw other plates of the same dish given to others and it was much bigger. It was so late and we just wanted to go home (had a baby with us), so we just wolfed down our food and left.Special Features:
- Tried it out on a GroupomOrtolanVIPDined on 8/16/2013Food was decent, not great. Interesting decor and quite bustling on a Friday night. Entrees took a while to arrive but were tasty. Service was reasonable, not exceptional. Wine list was overpriced.
- Loved our first experiencePatsyVIPDined on 8/10/2013Loved our first experience at Tappo. Great all around and our server was wonderful. Thanks and see you again!Special Features:
- Middle of the road ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/9/2013The setting is nice and the patio is great. The service was good. We were there on a friday summer night. The Menu was pretty standard for an italian restaurant. I was expecting more original menu choices for the price. Though the secondi plates were priced as other restaurants the antipasto and main courses were overpriced (e.g. an arugula salad $16 Dls). The ragú sauce was nothing special. I think for the price there are better Italian places in TO.Special Features:
- Dinner with lots of characterMargueriteDined on 8/8/2013Tappo is in the Distillery District and the exposed brick decor is beautiful. It is crowded and bustling and the tables are tiny but the food is good and there is sensible parking. The service is attentive and the waiters are genuinely friendly as they rush around. We had a quail, pappardelle with wild boar stew second course, veal medallions and wild boar with risotto. All were excellent. This was our third visit and we will most likely return.Special Features:
- I've been to Tappo many times,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/4/2013I've been to Tappo many times, this was the first time I thought "meh". Waiting to be seated, we saw one staff member grab the water pitcher by the top (not the handle), sticking his thumb right into the water! Gross. No water for us, thanks. Our appetizer (crostini with mozzarella and salad) was delicious, and primi (linguine fruit de mer) even better. The mahi mahi was dry and bland (and the menu didn't mention the bacon on the plate). The wine on the menu isn't necessarily available, but the substitution was a very nice selection. I've never had dessert at Tappo, as they're never interesting. Service wasn't very attentive. Again, this is the first uninspiring visit, so we'll try again, it could just be an off night.Special Features:
- Neighbourhood surprise.OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/3/2013We've coming to the distillery district for shopping and the theatre for years. Usually we go to Pure Spirit because the food is reliable. This past weekend we decided to make a change and tried Tappo which is newer. We were pleasantly surprise with the depth and the quality of the cooking. To call it an Italian restaurant doesn't really do it justice. All our appetitzers and mains were well done and the portions generous. The wine list was brief but well edited with new and old world well represented and reasonable priced. The service was efficient and friendly. Will definitely go back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So, so...FoodieVIPDined on 7/20/2013Our 2 meals were overcooked. Service friendly. Could have been more prefessionnal. Impressive wine list but many selections not available anymore. Not sure to go back...
- fine atmosphereSnapShotDined on 7/20/2013Downtown almost core area. The services were good even though they were busy. Ordered their steak and lamb, loved the source, though it's definitely overcooked (median --> median well).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impact of Failing Air ConditioningRichardTorontoVIPDined on 7/19/2013Everything was great including our server, except the air conditioning was dreadful. We were so hot, we had to leave. We were offered two different explanations for the reason the temperature was so high. In addition, the wine we ordered was not in stock (not a big deal) but one of meals was mixed up by the kitchen resulting in one of our guests having to eat 15 minutes later than everyone else. Staff was good and friendly. Food was actually good. And the atmosphere (other than the high temperature was nice). Shame to ruin what should have been a good experience. Will try again on a different nightSpecial Features:
- Our group of 4 enjoyed ourBrendaMDined on 7/12/2013Our group of 4 enjoyed our dinner here. Beautiful restaurant both inside and out. We sat inside and found it to be a very romantic spot and full of energy. Every table was full at 8pm on a Friday night. Enjoyed the meal, waiter was excellent. Would definitely return.Special Features:
- A pleasant eveningmissMcKesVIPDined on 7/5/2013An early dinner (5pm on a Friday) and beat the rush. fairly quiet with only about 15% of the tables filled when we first arrived (it quickly filled though). This made for a more intimate and quiet dining experience which we enjoyed. service was attentive and appropriate. food was good. I really enjoyed my veal medallions - great flavour & quite saucy (mushroom sauce). Presentation nothing special but I really liked it. My husband has fusilli pasta w/chicken. flavour was very subtle; he found it bland. the chicken in the pasta was sparse. Overall, food didn't blow us away but atmosphere is nice and location in distillery district makes it a good go to spot. patio seating available - fabulous for a nice evening. Overall I would recommendSpecial Features:
- I would go backOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/26/2013Great food and ambiance (sat inside). The waitress would friendly and helpful with both the menu and the wine selection. We had the three course meal and the portion sizes were perfect. Everything was hot, delicious and well presented.Special Features:
- Good Food in a great atmosphereJMWHDined on 6/2/2013Overall a very enjoyable setting, good service and very good food. Review pricing to fit with your budget.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A favourite go-toOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/22/2013Always selected for a long lunch with a friend or a very good dinner, romantic or otherwise. The co-owner checks in to make sure that your every whim has been attended to and the service staff are trained very well. The Italian food is wonderful! I love this place. The rustic decor is in keeping with the Distillery but the noise levels can sometimes be high. That is but a minor complaint compared to everything that is very good about Tappo.Special Features:
- bad!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/12/2013There are other restaurants to go to in the distillery district. First the welcome was not there. Then the waiter thought he was funny while interrupting us every minute. Then 2 of us had finished our starter but not our friend and then the waiter brought us our entrée/make course saying to us 'sorry but the kitchen was ready with yours, if you want I can take them back and wait until your front has finished with his starter and his main is ready!' No thank you very much you should have thought of that before. Poor communication between the restaurant and the kitchen and definitely not able to manage a busy restaurant oon a Sunday lunch. Worst experience in the area.
- Lovely food. Sit away from door.MourvedreDined on 5/10/2013Delicious food, lovely room with a good vibe. I only gave 3 stars on ambiance because the resto needed staff (eg. host) to ensure the door is closed. People waiting for tables were leaving the front door wedged to stay open: but it was cold, windy, stormy night and we were seated right by the door opening with strong cold damp drafts blowing on us. Had to ask passing waitstaff several times through the night to ask waiting guests to close the door (all but one were helpful - the one had given up and was as frustrated by it as me). Could have ruined the evening, fortunately didn't. Problem could be solved with host managing the door (there didn't seem to one stationed or I would have asked them), or curtains to protect the entrance.Special Features:
- Not ImpressedYummyVIPDined on 5/10/2013The food was very good but the service lacked BIG time. Will not be returning.Special Features:
- Food was excellent. TriedOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 4/28/2013Food was excellent. Tried an Argentinian red wine that was amazing. Used a voucher but was not given subpar food or service. Will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was very good & ourOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/26/2013The food was very good & our waiter had a very good sense of humour, considering how he had to move around the tables. Just be prepared to sit really really close to each other. The tables were so close that the waiters were not able to manoeuver their way in & out very comfortably. And when the waiters were moving around they were partically sitting on our table.
- Stumbled on the place easilyjmssVIPDined on 4/24/2013Stumbled on the place easily became my new favorite Italian in the CitySpecial Features:
- It probably doesn't help thisOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/13/2013It probably doesn't help this review that we ate dinner at Momofuku Daisho the previous evening and had an absolutely fantastic meal. At Tappo we felt rushed, the food was just okay and definitely overpriced for what it was. Tappo has an attractive room, but it felt dark, crowded and loud by the end of our meal. I hope the Distillery District gets some more restaurant capacity soon.
- This restaurant is great forLexigrlDined on 4/13/2013This restaurant is great for a romantic date for 2 and versatile for friends to sit and chat over food and drinks. Service was efficient and on point for a weekend dinner. The wait staff was friendly and cheerful. I felt that the appetizers were better tasting than the main courses; however, presentation wise, all dishes were plated beautifully.Special Features: