Tapeo Restaurant and Tapas Bar
266 Newbury Street
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
SpanishPrice: $30 and under
Tapeo Restaurant and Tapas Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.tapeo.com/
- Phone: (617) 267-4799
- Hours of Operation:
Dining Room & Patio Hours:
Saturday & Sunday: 12:00pm - 5:00pm
Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday & Saturday 5:00 - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Mario Leon
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We offer a catering menu. Please call for details 617.267.4799
- Private Party Facilities: Tapeo Restaurant is capable of hosting and planning your engagement. Whether you’re hosting an engagement party, celebrating your birthday or planning your companies’ next function, our management and staff will make sure every detail is accounted for. - Wedding Dinners, Bachelorette Parties - Birthday Parties and Business Functions - Can accommodate groups 10-250 - Sit down, buffet and cocktail parties. - Vegetarian menus available.
- Private Party Contact: Coleen Noonan 6172674799x
- Entertainment: Enjoy a festive evening of Tapas with traditional Spanish music.
- Special Events: We can accomodate groups of 8 to 250 guests and provide a preset menu that will allow you and your guests to enjoy our best tapas offerings. Please contact Coleen Noonan @ 617.267.4799 or email us @ email@example.com for details and pricing
A word from Tapeo Restaurant and Tapas Bar
Tapeo offers great Spanish food in a European atmosphere. With authentic Spanish decor Tapeo can accommodate guests in two different dining rooms, whether it be near a fire place or large window overlooking Newbury Street in our Flamenco Dining Room or in a dim lite nook in our downstairs Bodega Room. We offer classic entrees, over 40 regional tapas, and a comprehensive, all-Spanish wine, sherry and spirits list. Tapeo also has outdoor seating, weather permitting. Thanks to a first-class pedigree (Somerville's award-winning Dali shares the same ownership) and an even better location (the heart of Newbury Street), Tapeo is easily the city's most popular Spanish restaurant.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Tapeo Restaurant and Tapas Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
100 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (44)good for groups (42)great for outdoor dining (42)neighborhood gem (37)romantic (33)special occasion (23)hot spot (20)great for lunch (10)kid-friendly (7)vibrant bar scene (6)scenic view (3)late-night find (3)great for brunch (2)notable wine list (2)Show More
- First TimerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/24/2014First time to go there. Great food and service. We wished we'd had a bigger appetite to try more dishes!! Love the decor, and the tables in the window upstairs are the best! One of Boston's best!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- threegirlsDined on 11/19/2014The Service was poor. not just at our tabel but hte one next to us. She never came around to ask if we needed anything. If we needed something- we had to kep waving our arm to get attention from one of the staff.- did this to get order the first round of wine bottle, another glass of wine, to get dessert menu, to order dessert, to get the check........ Food was ok- have had better at Barcelenos in Brookline.
- Glad I Tried This Placetimcal58Dined on 11/5/2014We arrived a little earlier than our reservation, but the host seated us promptly by a very cozy window overlooking Newbury Street. Our waitress was very patient and attentive, despite my mangled attempts at Spanish. (High school Spanish classes only get you so far, I suppose.) They have plenty of delicious, vegetarian-friendly options on the menu that both my date and I enjoyed (even though I do love my meat). The food came out pretty quickly and was very fresh. Our drinks were very tasty and appropriately alcoholic, and we left feeling quite satisfied. I honestly cannot think of a single negative thing to say about my meal. Very nicely done, and I have no qualms with recommending Tapeo to others.Special Features:
- Hit or Miss TapasArmabcgDined on 11/2/2014Been here a few times and would say that the meals are hit or miss on how well they are prepared. On several occasions it's been fantastic. Last visit the chicken was sub par, but the lamb was great. Fried items seem to be only as good as the oil that day. The $5 bar menu is a great deal if you can get a spot. The sangria is just okay as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty as usualAlMichele84VIPDined on 11/2/2014A tradition whenever we're in town. Had lunch at the bar - $5 tapas are such a deal. Great food and drinks.Special Features:
- Paella Worth itserialyelperDined on 11/1/2014Do yourself a favor and try the paella. We got about 3 other tapas and a bottle of wine as well. The paella definitely fed 2 ppl, and would have been ok for 3 or 4 if supplemented with smaller items. We didn't need to ask for free bread, so that was nice too.Special Features:
- review for TapeoOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014It's o.k, not great. The place doesn't have spark and the food could be better. Nothing special and not cheap. Good to have a sangria and a tapa on the bar.
- A Very Enjoyable MealRichardVIPDined on 10/26/2014We tried a large variety of dishes and found the food to be consistently good to very good.
- yummyRafaDined on 10/20/2014The paella was so flavorful and the tapas amazing! Artichoke, shrimp with spicy red sauce, goat cheese with caramelized onions...yumSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a hit!FoodeVIPDined on 10/13/2014Been coming to Tapeo for years and it has yet to disappoint me. had the Noche Estralla ( Black cherry Vodka, Lime and soda) so tasty. Service was spot on and very helpful with our choices. Been trying all the specials of the day lately and they have been unique delicious. Can't wait to go back again.Special Features:
- Hit or missLLNYDined on 10/10/2014We were quite excited about sharing the small plates at Tapeo and had heard good things. On the briight we were about 20 minutes last and while our reservation was cancelled, we were accomodated. Atmosphere is homey and relaxed. Unfortunately, not a great experience. The waitress was unattentive. When we asked questions about the sangrias, she mearly recited the ingredients. Big help, not. The dishes came out in a very random and unlogical order, some times one at a time and the last 'batch' of 3 items all at once. The food was very average at best. Would not go back.
- Fair to GoodRiverRatsDined on 10/4/2014We have eaten at Tapeo for many years and had fabulous food, this was not as good we had gone in early before a show. Pork dish was dry and seafood ravoli was fishy. Goat cheese dish with honey was fabulous. We will go again great ambience I think it was just a bad night. Still love this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great place for groups and tapasmabesfVIPDined on 9/27/2014it's a lively place but my group of 7 ladies had a great time at Tapeo on a Friday night. good portions of food, delicious paella. everything came out quickly but it was well spaced out to allow you to finish in stages. that way food didn't get cold. sangria was all right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for tapasJakesmawDined on 9/20/2014Went with a friend who is not a foodie, but I am. Food was good, not as good as Dali was, but pretty good. Sangria was delish, esp sparkling Cava one. Would love to go back & try some more adventurous plates....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food. Would go againnjgalinwtVIPDined on 9/19/2014The restaurant didn't have our Open Table reservation despite me having a confirmation. But since we were only 2 people they took us anyway. The tables are close together and it's a tight space, so don't expect a quiet dinner. But the service was good, and we loved all the dishes. Nothing was bad. Recommend!Special Features:
- Outside table was wonderful!NeileVIPDined on 9/17/2014Beautiful evening. Very good tapas. Wonderful setting. We had a very nice time. Table was on Newbury Street. Fun people watching. Food came out quickly and was quite good.Special Features:
- Great AmbianceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/12/2014I have been going to Tapeo for years and they never disappoint. Tapas and sangria is always delicious. Everytime, I meet up with friends, Tapeo is my recommendation. I think the atmosphere feels intimate even though, the restaurant is quite large, I see families with young children there which is fine b/c the noise level is energetic enough that you don't notice screaming kids. Yet, it is not too loud that you can not hear the person across the table.Special Features:
- Okay for tapas in Back BayCambridgeRezDined on 9/11/2014The food was good, not great as was the service. Wines were below average. Would not go back in a hurry.Special Features:
- jimboDined on 9/5/2014great outdoor food spot. The tapas were delicious!Special Features:
- Restaurant Weekluv4garlicDined on 8/29/2014I came during Restaurant Week toward the end of August and was very satisfied with the specialized menu! I don't eat meat and was happy to see half the menu was available to my palette. My date humored me and we split 2 app & 4 meal plates. The $15 pitchers of sangria was a great move on the restaurant's part. I would've liked more than 1 slice of lemon floating in it though (It's all about the wine-soaked fruit, to me! Haha). With our bellies filled with delicious breads, veggies, and seafood, we capped off our the dining experience with 2 small dessert plates: the peaches & cake, and churros (they stole our hearts/stomachs). I'd love to dine at Tapeo again with access to their full menu! :)Special Features:
- Amazing FoodPeteDined on 8/27/2014It's tapas, so we had a lot of different things. They were all amazing. Make sure you ask for extra bread because you'll want it to sop up all the sauces.Special Features:
- Just alrightsaintry17Dined on 8/27/2014My girlfriend and I went to Tapeo for Restaurant Week but while the ambiance and setting were enjoyable and the service was good, the food was only mediocre. We had shrimp that was tasteless, potatoes with a bad sauce on them, and artichokes that were bland. The sangria was great though. Overall, not the best restaurant experience.
- Fun night outgrinandbarrettDined on 8/23/2014I booked a night at Tapeo for my finace's 30th birthday. To my complete delight, we happened to be there during Dine Out Boston, so we were able to taste much more food than we could comfortably fit in our stomachs while I still paid much less than I had anticipated! The food is so, so, so, so, SOOO good. We were seated upstairs and in the middle of the room, which wasn't bad, but I've been there before in basement which is cozy and romantic, so in the future I would make that request when booking. This is a fun restaurant that I look forward to going to again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Summer on Newbury StreetdishdelishDined on 8/23/2014Is there anything better than dining al fresco on a summer night on Newbury Street? Tapeo's tapas delights, some lovely chilled albarino, good friends, and people watching on Newbury Street all make for a wonderful summer night. You should try it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something differentchipmunkDined on 8/22/2014Took my date here for dinner. She is not a big eater so we ordered several tapas. It was perfect. Large selection of vegetarian, seafood, and meat tapas. We ate outside and people watched on Newbury street. Also had dry sherry with the meal which was excellent. A little bit of Barcelona in Boston. I strongly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun for friendssuechickDined on 8/21/2014Our visit was good. I actually wish we would not have made "dinner" reservations and just stayed at the bar. The bar was comfortable and the tapas offered there for $5 a plate was the same as the ones we paid $8 to $11 at a table. The vibe at the bar was far better than the table setting upstairs. If we come again I think the bar is where we will hang out.Special Features:
- Dine Out BostonoutwokidsDined on 8/18/2014We tried this during Dine Out Boston. Love the choices the restaurant gave for it. We sat outside, so it was bit noisy. But it was still fun. The inside looked nicely decorated, but was warm. It was nice to be able to try a new restaurant during the Dine Out. Thank you for being part of that. Food was very good; generous portions for tapas. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal in BostonOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/17/2014Excellent in every way! A delicious and fun meal. A great way to introduce people to the amazingly diverse world of tapas. From the exotic to the rice and beans, everything was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing tapasPaolatinaDined on 8/17/2014Delicious food, great service just a little disappointed with the sangria we ordered, Berry Sangria, was way too sweet. Nothing like sangria in Spain.Special Features:
- TapasDelishDined on 8/6/2014Great place for delicious tapas and Sangria. The braised pork, cauliflower and broccoli, and chicken were standouts for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good foodnewyorkvisitDined on 8/6/2014as always, promptly seated, delicious tapas and sangriaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great outdoor placeMHBostonDined on 8/5/2014Wonderful place to have dinner outdoors on a summer night. Enjoyed every tapas. Service was terrific. Would definitely come back and do it again.Special Features:
- Solid tapasSushiloverVIPDined on 8/2/2014Pretty solid choice for tapas in Back Bay. Good service, good food, and while not the best tapas in the city, it's a solid option. I'd recommend Tapeo to a friend.Special Features:
- The following 911 reviews are from the Tapeo Restaurant and Tapas Bar reviews archive.
- Eclectic Mexican inspired placeBlvnFoodieVIPDined on 7/26/2014The place is in a basement has a vampire decor / Spanish church feel to it. Tequila and Margarita / Drink menu is excellent. Food was unique takes on standards and delicious. service was superb..,.Special Features:
- TapasSiouxCDined on 7/25/2014I have only had Tapas in a mediocre restaurant in Clearwater Beach, Florida known for their Tapas. I was eager to try a less touristy place. Went out with two friends. Was a nice evening, but outside patio was full with a 40 minute wait. We ate on the second level. Very nice space. Mixed clients families, couples, young adults. We ordered a pitcher of Sangria which held about a glass and a half for each of us. Which was fine. It was tasty. Waitress suggested some of the Tapas to order and we used her suggestions and ordered a few of our own. Sizzling shrimp, goat cheese w/ honey and onions, bruschetta with artichoke hearts and mushrooms. Food was really good. Plan to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing find!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/24/2014A girlfriend and I came here on a Thursday evening, sat outside, and enjoyed one of the best meals. We tried about 8 tapas, and none of them disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Foodjada412Dined on 7/20/2014Amazing Food. Each dish was better than the next. We had an excellent array of tapas dishes: Ceviche, Tostadas de Alcachofas, Ravioles de Mariscos, Lomito al Cabrales and Costillitas de Vaca. Costillitas de Vaca broke apart like butter, nice. The Raviolis were delicious as well, saffron langostino sauce on it was great.Special Features:
- Our favorite on NewburyAlMichele84VIPDined on 7/19/2014We go to Tapeo everytime we are in Boston - and it's usually our first stop. The small plates allow you to get several tasy items to share - or not! The drinks are refreshing and as exotic as you want.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointedMissMistyVIPDined on 7/14/2014Very disappointed with poor service, slow and mediocre food. They seated us in the basement even though the restaurant was 79% empty. We will not go back again or recommend.
- Surprising and funTimothyVIPDined on 7/12/2014We made a last minute reservation here, and were very pleasantly surprised at the quality of food and service. After a slow start (server may not have seen we were seated), the service was very good with the food all coming out quickly and drinks refilled readily. We had the patatas bravas, the grilled shrimp with mojo rojo (great sauce!) and sangria--all excellent. I cannot recall the other food items but everything was good. Highly recommend for a nice casual dinner for foodies.Special Features: