3711 Bayview Street
Richmond, BC V7E 3B6Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.tapenade.ca/
- Phone: (604) 275-5188
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Friday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Saturday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French American, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Justin Cheung
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Tapenade features offsite catering for 40-500 people. Our specialty is " Cocktail Party" format with passed hors douevres, specialty cheese boards, fruit and dips with tapenade of course. Please contact us for details on this style of event.
- Private Party Facilities: Tapenade bistro offers a private room for up to 15 people for a small gathering, or you can rent the entire facility for the evening.
- Private Party Contact: Vince Morlet 604-275-5188
- Cross Street: 2nd Avenue
- Public Transit: Public transit stops appox one block away. See translink.ca for routing details
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Tapenade bistro has a 50 stall car park at the rear of the building. The parking accessed through the alley on the West side of the bulding. Street parking is also available around the building.
A word from Tapenade Bistro
In January 2003, Vince Morlet opened Tapenade Bistro with the idea of bringing an urban bistro to the historic fishing village of Steveston, BC. Over the past several years, Tapenade has earned the reputation of being an exceptional neighbourhood bistro with great food, outstanding service and fantastic wine. The menu is steeped in French tradition, though is updated with west coast sensibility and is presented in an approachable and informal setting. The "simple, yet elegant" cuisine showcases the natural beauty of local, sustainable and seasonal ingredients in an appropriate and sumptuous manner. With a dedicated and passionate staff, critically-acclaimed food and a comfortable neighbourhood setting, the team at Tapenade Bistro looks forward to welcoming you.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Tapenade Bistro - Best Restaurants in Richmond ›
Tapenade Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
38 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (23)special occasion (20)neighborhood gem (20)great for outdoor dining (17)romantic (11)great for lunch (10)scenic view (9)good for groups (9)notable wine list (7)great for brunch (7)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- mangetteglutenfreegirlDined on 11/4/2014Tapenade has a very good chef . The food was delicious , beautifully presented with attention to detail. My cod was cooked perfectly. Everyone else enjoyed their meal and allergies were accommodated. Outside dining is great but the interior needs freshening up.Special Features:
- Fall previewSsclarkeDined on 11/4/2014We tried the great three course menu and the choices were excellent. The turnip rissoto was amazing and the new wine menu is great too. So glad they put a sidewalk in front of the patio it allows for better people watching.Special Features:
- still nice but tiredTeddyDined on 10/22/2014we still enjoy this restaurant but it is starting to look and feel a bit tired.Special Features:
- Great food, great serviceTeeEnnDined on 10/17/2014I just had dinner there with my boyfriend and my parents. It was quite the drive for us but it was well worth it. The food was delicious, some items were a tad on the saltier side but was still enjoyable. The service was great. The staff was attentive and friendly. I would definitely come back another time, and recommend this restaurant to those who enjoy an intimate setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This one's a good one!MovieManDined on 10/4/2014My better half and I were given a gift certificate; otherwise we would never have tried this restaurant, and we're glad we did. They bill themselves as a Bistro; I'd say they're close to fine dining. Imaginative take on just about every recipe; just reading the new fall menu was a marvel. Although its well off our beaten track, we will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New fall menuSsclarkeDined on 10/3/2014When Tapenade announced the new fall menu it provided yet another excuse to go there. The octopus appetizer is very tender and the mix of flavors makes it so enjoyable. There are lots of fish options on the menu and both the ling cod and the albacore tuna were exceptional. The wine choices are BC and abroad and compliment the choices well. enjoy!Special Features:
- Back in the gameRobertDined on 9/21/2014We used to go regularly to this restaurant until they had a chef that we felt let down the standard. Since then, the chef has changed and we decided to give it another try. It was just for a Sunday Brunch but the meals were excellent. Ingredients were fresh, well presented and very tasty. The Bouillabaisse was wonderful and the braised beef sandwich was full of wonderful flavour. The service was also excellent but that has never been an issue at Tapenade - they have always had great staff. That staff and a new chef puts them back in our books of a regular place to eat.Special Features:
- Starters not worth orderingvisitor2sfDined on 9/9/2014The starters average about $12 to $16, but they are very small. I ordered the Diver Scallop. It came in a very large plate with only two scallops on about a tablespoon of sauce. My son ordered the Butter Lettuce Salad. He got a few leaves of lettuce. And paid $10. The service was slow and unenthusiastic. The picture on the wall was crooked. Overall, I was not happy with the experience. The bill came to $105. Unfortunately I had a groupon.Special Features:
- TapenadeAnonymousDined on 9/1/2014Always great tasting and well presented food Interesting wine list Excellent service We'll be backSpecial Features:
- Great place to CelebrateSuzlightDined on 8/30/2014Had a delightful family dinner..sat outside, blankets available , heaters. Good Service, Excellent short rib, good and varied menuSpecial Features:
- crazynurseDined on 8/23/2014The location of Tapenade Bistro is excellent, just across the street from the pier. This means you are close enough to hear the bustling soudns of the people out enjoying a stroll, but far enough away for it to just be a background murmur. The outdoor patio was excellent and even came with little blankets, in case you got cold while enjoying your dinner. The wine list was decent, and the menu had a good selection of local and seasonal ingredients. The one dissapointing thing was that my meal, as stated on the menu, came with peas. I asked the waiter for no peas, and it did come with no peas. The server did fail to mention that there was a pea puree as the base, which it did come with. That being said, I would highly recommend to anyoneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Limited MenuLovetodineoutDined on 8/15/2014The service we received was very good, but the menu choices, particularly the entrees, was very limited and not very exciting. We were looking forward to a nice meal, but were quite disappointed.
- Missing the former chefiluvpizzaDined on 8/9/2014We go to Tapanade for special occasions. The service is excellent and the ambience is very nice however the quality of the food has gone down hill over the years. The last couple of times we have been disappointed with our meals. The beet and goats cheese salad used to be amazing now it is mediocre. We are not impressed with the changes in the cooking and wish things would go back to how they were before.Special Features:
- luvstevestonDined on 8/1/2014Food is consistently good. Service is friendly, Washrooms are clean.Special Features:
- Great eveningSsclarkeDined on 7/31/2014The octopus was very good we thought it might be chewy, but it was tender and tasty. Excellent food and service. The Summer gate Kerner went well with our foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 366 reviews are from the Tapenade Bistro reviews archive.
- V. JohanssonfearlessfoodieDined on 7/29/2014Excellently seasoned food and beautiful presentations for each bowl and plate. My family and I had a wonderful experience there and will go back to try other dishes as well. Kudos to the attentive and helpful servers and magic chefs in the kitchen. I have not had such excellent oysters on the half shell that were so plump and buttery in texture. We ended up having two orders of them. YUM!Special Features:
- I highly recommend Tapenade.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014I chose Tapenade for an informal birthday celebration for my mother. The food and the service were fabulous. Our server was especially helpful and, without my asking, brought Mom a delicious birthday dessert. I plan to go back and enjoy appetizers on the outside deck.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A lovely dinner.EsmeDined on 7/18/2014I went to dinner with my daughter and her boyfriend, and we all enjoyed our meals. The oysters were particularly good. My short rib dish was succulent and attractive. The main course portions were not large, but were very flavorful. All three of us enjoyed the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful LunchFreezerfuzzDined on 7/15/2014My lunch partner has been to Tapenade Bistro numerous times but it was a first for me. We each ordered the bouillabaisse and we shared the beet and goat cheese salad. The bouillabaisse was very tasty and I especially liked the topping on the toasted length of French bread. The salad was just the right size for sharing. I know both of us will be visiting Tapenade Bistro again.Special Features:
- Never disappointsTravelBugVIPDined on 7/13/2014Came for lunch on Sunday with friends and everyone raved about their meals. Service is professional, prompt yet friendly and the atmosphere is always wonderful. The place always had a patio but now it's covered so a great place to sit and people watch. Highly recommend it for lunch or dinner but do make a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Halibut in RichmondButterfly4VIPDined on 7/4/2014This is the second time I have had their Halibut. It is cooked just right and not over done as most restaurants tend to do. It was perfect. The problems with this that it's hard to pick another dish...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TapenadeEmoeDined on 7/4/2014Food was good. Service was great. We shared the mussels provencal which my husband loved. He kept ordering bread to soak up the broth! I had the halibut which good but could of used a bit more seasoning. Husband had the pork which he really enjoyed. The only issue was the wine we ordered which was not cold enough and they asked us to wait 15 minutes while it chilled. We were not offered a complimentary drink so ordered a different wine. This was a small issue but it would of been nice to have been offered something.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great. service, forgettable foodDinersRUsDined on 7/4/2014Our server was pleasant, funny and knowledgeable. The food was disappointing. We ordered the beet salad, octopus, patatas and bison carpaccio for a meal of red wine and appetizers. The patatas was the best dish, bison was fine, and the beet salad and octopus were boring and the octopus was chewy. The presentation was poor, the beets and octopus were dropped on an uninteresting bed of lettuce and veggies. Tapenade has had its issues and is on its third chef in two years. My friends and I used to dine here whenever in Steveston, but we are likely not coming back anytime soon unfortunately. It used to offer food that always made you happy you went but our last few visits have been disappointing.Special Features:
- Disappointed but willing to go backEatingInStevestonByChoiceDined on 6/29/2014We've dined here lots. Beet & goat cheese salad: wonderful as usual. Mussels: tasted musty & I didn't feel too well for a few days afterward. Favourite entree: short ribs fell so short of our expectations. Before, consistently served in a gravy, didn't need a knife to cut them and melted in your mouth. This time: had to use a knife, very little moisture and chewy. They were a bit fatty but still seemed dry. I couldn't finish them - pls bring back the old recipe! Favourite dessert: lemon tart wasn't on the menu so we had the berry tart. It was simply a pastry shell with berries dropped on top and whipped cream on the side - no moisture holding the berries together. However, Kelsey, our waitress was absolutely excellent!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expense with casual atmosphereVictoriaDined on 6/28/2014A bit pricy given the patrons attire ranged from shorts & flip flops to business casual. The number of small children and babies in the restaurant took away from the atmosphere and created a high priced family restaurant situation.
- Not worth itEarlDined on 6/27/2014I booked this restaurant and was utterly disappointed with the food. You would never know from these reviews though. The shrimp appetizer was sour, and I'm guessing it is because they had it marinating in the lemon juice for too long. The boulebaisse broth lacked flavor and was of small portions. The mussels my girlfriend ordered was ok, but again the broth was watered down and I don't believe had any bacon in it. If you're in Stevenson village there are much nicer restaurants in the area.Special Features:
- Not up to its potentialkatpotDined on 6/27/2014We have been going to Tapenade for many years and until about two years ago we loved it. They changed the menu and the food quality slipped and we stopped going. We went back last week as we had heard that it was better. We didn't agree. The menu is very limited and the food was ok but nothing special. After our entrée we decided enough was enough and didn't stay for dessert. We would love to see Tapenade return to it former glory when the good was excellent, the menu a bit more varied, and the staff pleasant and professional.
- garfieldwbDined on 6/25/2014Limited menu because ingredients are locally-sourced and 'seasonal'. Excellent presentation and reasonable portion size.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experience OverallBellaDined on 6/22/2014I really like this restuarant ... I keep going back for more great food & service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at tapenadePjjmDined on 6/21/2014We we're recommend this spot by family and the food was very good grilled octopus was excellent the bouillabaisse was good but needed a little more variety in the types of seafood the overall quantity and quality was very good and sauce was nice .i asked for it to be a little spicy and the level was perfect did not overpower the sauce .Overall it was a very pleasant casual dining experience prices were reasonable and food quality was good not sure on ambience seemed run of the mill . I would definetly recommend this restaurant for casual but not quite upscale dinningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Excellentnorth4foodDined on 6/18/2014Tapenade has consistently excellent service and food, and the atmosphere is very relaxing. The halibut was delicious and perfectly done. I would have given the food 5 stars except that they changed the way the short ribs are cooked and presented and although they were good, I did not like them nearly as much as the way they were previously done. There are many great choices on the wine list, and wines by the glass are offered in 2 sizes. The 9 oz i(1/4 litre) is perfect when you are not sharing with someone else and 6 oz is not quite enough.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/10/2014Both my guest and I thoroughly enjoyed our lunch here. The service was prompt and courteous, and the server even seated us at a quieter table as there was a large party close to us that were a bit on the loud side. Much appreciated. The added touch of the birthday candle with my guest's dessert was most appreciated. This was my second visit to the restaurant and I was not disappointed.Special Features:
- Okay lunch - nothing specialFoodLoverDined on 6/7/2014Went for lunch - we sat on the patio. Service was okay. We had to ask for new cutlery since they took away used set and did not replace it. Also fish an chips were raw and had to return it, waiting for a new one. Waiter was apologetic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TapenadeEnthusiast1Dined on 6/6/2014This is a lovely restaurant. We showed up early, around 5:00pm. Because we were early and sat inside on a nice night, there were not many people inside, which gave it a feel of not being busy and took away from the ambiance a bit. However, the waitress was excellent (I remember her from years ago and she still is), and the food was very good. We enjoyed Tapenade very much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great service but.MsKimchiDined on 6/3/2014The service was quite excellent at the restaurant. It was not busy the day I went but service was slow. The list of food on the menu was very limited and did not have a wide range to choose from. We opted for something we read online that was delicious and ordered the beef ribs and muscles. The beef rib was bland, and was cooked till very tough. The muscles were not bad. We also got some oysters but they werent very well made. Very fishy tasting. Dont think we will be back anytime soon. Sorry.Special Features:
- Great tastefishluverDined on 6/1/2014Best halibut I have had in a long time always great to find a place that cooks the fish perfectly Will go back oftenSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friend4LunchDined on 5/24/2014Good food, good wines, relaxing ambiance, friendly and courteous service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Service and AtmosphereFoodieVIPDined on 5/23/2014Consistently good food, service and ambiance. New patio should be great in summer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New chef but same stellar serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/13/2014This is the first time we dined at Tapenade with chef Colin Uyeda. We had a friend with us from out of town - everything from the service through to dessert was top notch. We tried the tuna, the short ribs and the pork chop and each if them was unique, beautiful but most importantly spectacularly flavoured. Looking forward to our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My first lunchtastebudDined on 5/13/2014Delicious lunch, excellent service, very clean, friendly and beautiful scenery.Special Features: