7612 Fay Avenue
La Jolla, CA 92037Neighborhood:
La Jolla / Golden Triangle
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.tapenaderestaurant.com/
- Phone: 8585517500x1
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday through Friday: 11:30pm -2:30pm Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, French, Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Jean Michel Diot
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Tapenade can accommodate any size event at the San Diego Museum of Contemporary Art, Darlington House or other places in San Diego and around, to small dinner parties at private homes For private functions at the restaurant and Buy out, Private rooms available from 6 to 130 guests. Additional large outdoor patio for receptions, lunch or dinner. Rehearsal dinner, birthday, anniversary and many other life's celebrations. Inquire with Tapenade. Please contact us with any inquiries.
- Private Party Facilities: Tapenade Private Dining program features various room size possibilities. The Dining-Room (75),Bistro (45),Rotonde (18), Table 10 (6) are perfect for coporate or private lunch or dinner. The classic and creative upscale French Mediterranean fare menus are created by Chef proprietor Jean-Michel Diot.
- Private Party Contact: Sylvie Diot 8585517500x101
- Special Events: Special Event menus are available. Multi selection-menus, including gourmet vegetarian selections. Contact us for menus and budgets.
A word from Tapenade
Located in the heart of scenic La Jolla on Fay Avenue, Tapenade Restaurant is the classic bistro atmosphere with enjoyable and savory food. Tapenade recalls traditional French Provençal gastronomy and fuses it with contemporary American cuisine to create quality dishes. Award-winning chef Jean Michel Diot uses only the finest and freshest ingredients in order to create exemplary and novel seasonal dishes. Chef-owner Jean Michel Diot has had success with previous restaurants, rightfully earning the nickname “the Baron of Bistros.” The atmosphere of Tapenade immerses the guest by paying tribute to the elegant Parisian bistro ambiance. Awarded by San Diego Magazine as Best French, Best of the Best, and Best Chef, Tapenade is the restaurant that will create a memorable experience. Tapenade is also highly acclaimed by critics who say “Diot’s cooking is lusty, satisfying and the precise opposite of cerebral” Christopher Petkanas. Tapenade has been named “Top ten great place USA Today.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
Tapenade reviews from OpenTable diners
85 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (55)fit for foodies (52)neighborhood gem (46)romantic (41)notable wine list (22)good for groups (15)great for lunch (13)great for outdoor dining (11)vibrant bar scene (3)great for brunch (2)late-night find (2)hot spot (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 10/10/2014Everything was perfect!!! Definitely recommend it to everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mussel EveningMrsCDined on 10/7/2014I just love this restaurant and always refer to it as my favorite place to eat out. Unfortunately the mussels were a bit of a disappointment as they were very small and the gorgonzola sauce not as good as last year (to my recollection). Otherwise the service was first class and we still had a very enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great dining experienceFoodieDined on 10/2/2014We have been going to Tapenade for ten years. Ambience, service, food and the ability to actually be able to have a quiet conversation rare in today's dining scene. Tspenade has it all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/30/2014Best restaurant in La Jolla - consistently excellent food, fresh, service is impeccable- have both bistro and regular menu.Special Features:
- brnxguyDined on 9/27/2014I was particularly impressed that the restaurant remembered our anniversary and acknowledged it. The waiter was very efficient and took steps to alert the chef that the lobster bisque was, for my taste, a bit too salty.Special Features:
- Just averagesashacatDined on 9/25/2014Menu was quite traditional. My husband's escargot lacked the customary punch and was quite bland. My pate came baked in a clear glass mini pot and was rather thin and dry and only adequate in composition and taste. My husband's fish was nicely cooked. My divers scallops with risotto with English peas, snap peas and asparagus: scallops were a bit undercooked as was the risotto. We each had a glass of wine with the meal- my husband's Trefethen chardonnay was excellent, my white burgandy was very disappointing- it was bland, lacked structure. Both were served much too cold. Given our experience with our starters and entrees, we passed on dessert or cheese. We dined at 7pm on a Thursday evening.Special Features:
- reviewDined on 9/23/2014I really like the manager and staff, but the quality of food is not great. I had overcooked sea bass, not good, asked myself why do I bother to go to a restaurant in the SD are?!Special Features:
- Well worth the trip!OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 9/22/2014Tapenade is a slight bit off the beaten path, meaning...NOT on Prospect... but the food is terrific and the service was impeccable! Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Used to be our favoritekevinfDined on 9/22/2014Our family has eaten at Tapenade about 10 times in the past few years. Usually we go at restaurant week. On our last visit, for restaurant week the food was not as good as usual. We went on a Monday night, which might've been part of the problem. I hate to not recommend this restaurant, because they normally do such a great job.Special Features:
- Bar needsmick1Dined on 9/17/2014Just to be clear. This was another magical night at tapenade, I feel that my experience could've been even better if I could've been accommodated by the bar a bit more. I study 250-year-old classic cocktail and don't expect to be able to get the last word or a boulevardier or a veux Carrere just anywhere however, a better selection of scotch,bourbon and rye whiskey's would more than appreciated by most gentlemen. Lastly at the end of my meal I always prefer I digestive such as a amaro or a fernet. I only say this because from a business standpoint and you could've at least made another $40 $50 off of me on the night because I would've drank much more whiskey and I definitely would've had a fernet or two with my wife.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best in San DiegoOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/14/2014Tapenade is probably the best restaurant in San Diego.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delishDined on 9/12/2014The food was excellent. Service was outstanding. Down-side was that we were in a corner of the room where there was no circulating air, so it was quite warm leaning toward uncomfortable.Special Features:
- AMAZINGMiCoJDined on 9/6/2014The food was impecable!! My wife got the Lobster with corn and Valinna foam (INSANE) and I go tthe English Pea Risotto with Diver Clams (AMAZING). I highly reccomend this hidden gem to all foodies. We were with our small children and was amazed at their quality and technical abilities. You do not want to sleep on this place!Special Features:
- Excellent food and serviceLuvgoodfoodDined on 9/2/2014We thought the filet was great, but were disappointed that neither the wild boar nor venison, which we were looking forward to, we're available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food, great servicebreezeDined on 8/31/2014we enjoyed a wonderful evening of food and service. The young lady serving us was informative, friendly and made a real difference. I will go back again when in the la Jolla area.I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingSdeatsDined on 8/29/2014This is a fabulous restaurant sure to take your taste buds back to France. While there aren't breathe taking views of the ocean here, the food justifies the cost, which is in line with La Jolla. We started with the Maine Jonah Crab, which was light and flavorful. My wife had the scallops, which turned out to be the best scallops wee have ever had. Moist, perfectly browned and full of flavor. I had the duck, which was again cooked to perfection and full of flavor. We had two deserts, Crepes Suzette and Meyers Lemon Tartlette. If you only have room for one and like a tart dish go with the Suzette, otherwise the Tartlette is light and refreshing! Either way you can't go wrong.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Back to a GemSaintGabrielRustyDined on 8/28/2014Having moved far away from La Jolla, we don't get to dine at The Tapenade routinely any more. So, it was a special treat to return to the Tapenade for dinner recently. The food was exquisite. The servers were friendly but not obsequious. The decor had been changed since our last visit and is even more chic than it was before. I had the mushroom-filled raviolis as an appetizer and they were even better than I remembered and better than those I had enjoyed in Paris. My wife and I have never been disappointed at this gem of a restaurant and we were delighted to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best of the BestVictoriaVIPDined on 8/16/2014We have some excellent French restaurants in this town but Tapenade is consistently fabulous. Great service and the toughest part of the evening is trying to decide what to order because it's all so delicious and perfectly presented. Great wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Left wanting at TapenadeFrancophilesDined on 8/14/2014Food dull & unimaginative at best. Not French! Not even close!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014Service was attentive and unobtrusive. Food well-done French classics. Perfect for an Anniversary dinner.Special Features:
- At Last, Fine DiningAmbrosiaDined on 8/14/2014And I thought the good old days of fine, QUIET, dining were gone forever. Thank heavens for the atmosphere at Tapenade, a real place for grown ups who want to talk to each other during the meal and not have to shout across the table. Thank you, Tapenade, for not having loud music that you think must reach every corner of the dining area, thus forcing the conversations to grow louder to be heard over the music. A heavenly place with heavenly food and a polite staff that did not interrupt our conversation every five minutes. Please, wait staff everywhere: stand at the table and the guests will interrupt their conversation at the end of a sentence or thought. Really, they will acknowledge you in a few seconds.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JAWilsonDined on 8/12/2014Tapenade is consistently the best French restaurant in San Diego. The food is excellent, the service, however needs polishing. It is no worst than other San Diego restaurants, but does not compare to the top restaurants in major cities. Until that is accomplished San Diego will still be considered a " second Class" restaurant dining destination. The service is too casual. I'm tired having my party being addressed as "You Guys".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still a classicPickspicksDined on 8/9/2014It had been a few years since our last visit to Tapenade and we hoped it would be a good as we remembered. It wasn't just as good, it was better! The service was impeccable and the food delicious, from the appetizers to dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome as "toujours"SophiaDined on 8/9/2014We had an awesome dinner at Tapenade, again! The service is top notch, "brillantissime", Kara, Hadrien, Ludo and everyone else working there contributing to make this place one the greatest places to eat if not the greatest, THANK YOU for the attention hat you have. Tapenade is French "oui" so what? The food is marvelous.. "Oui, bien sur" and it is not only due to the fact it is French because there are mediocre French restaurants.. Tapenade has a consistency in greatness that is rarely found and that not everyone can perceive. If you do not perceive this, then you are missing the "substantifique moelle" Rabelaisienne of Tapenade. In our opinion, Tapenade is THE French restaurant of San Diego.Special Features:
- Celebratory MealLoveFoodDined on 8/8/2014Celebrating our anniversary at Tapenade. Great meal. Great service. Lovely extra touches. We'll be back soon!Special Features:
- Always pleasesFoodieFreakVIPDined on 8/2/2014This restaurant is a favorite of ours and we are always pleased with the food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Typical French snobsamccVIPDined on 7/24/2014used to love this place. they have gone off the deep end with an empty restaurant inside not letting you sit at another table at 6pm. the typical french refrain "we are fully booked". we were out of there in 1 1/2 hrs and the table we wanted was still empty as were many of the other tables. go for the food but definitely not for the service or the french attitude. it is annoying.
- The place is amazingcesiumDined on 7/22/2014This is not a romantic place, but it was still nice having a dinner date there. Food was delicious, service was excellent. Definitely worth it.Special Features:
- MackeyDined on 7/19/2014This restaurant won't last much longer. THE QUALITY has gone downhill. They didn't have 3 drinks we wanted. Lobster bisque was terrible. Ravioli mediocre. Over all it was a very disapointing experience. Used to ve much better 8 years a go
- Absolutely Deliciousluv2dineDined on 7/14/2014Loved tapanade.... my meal was dvine and the service was stellar!Special Features:
- Loved lunch at TapanadejanemilydDined on 7/10/2014Three friends and I met for lunch - we all loved our various selections. Recommend this restaurant highly!Special Features:
- DisappointingLuvgoodfoodVIPDined on 7/9/2014Tapenade has zero ambience. Two elderly women and their voices, at separate tables, dominated the sounds in the restaurant. My wife's dinner was acceptable. My lamb was so tough it couldn't be eaten. I was still charged for the returned dinner. The menu hadn't seen any recent creativite modifications for at least several decades. One might suspect it's resting on its reputation of years gone by. Certainly, nothing about either the atmosphere or the food warranted the high prices charged. La Jolla has many excellent restaurants, I wouldn't include Tapenade among them.
- StunningEatingAroundDined on 6/29/2014Thoroughly enjoyed our evening here. It's unusual these days to find a place with such classy ambiance and quiet enough to really enjoy the company of your dining partner. The wait staff was friendly and offered excellent suggestions. One of my new favorites in La Jolla.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CHASDined on 6/28/2014Tapenade brings a touch of France to the village of La Jolla without being pretentious. The menu is a perfect mixture of seasonal offerings combined with regular favorites, such as the Mushroom Raviolis and other first course choices. And there always is a remarkable soup selection. The wine list is a sampler of French and California wines with a nice balance between decent wines at moderate price points and more expensive choices for the congnoscenti. I have never had a mediocre meal at Tapenade, and I am looking forward to my next return visit.Special Features:
- CalceeVIPDined on 6/28/2014Always just the best! Tapenade is consistently wonderful: food quality and taste, service, ambiance. It is just a special restaurant.Special Features:
- The following 797 reviews are from the Tapenade reviews archive.
- king1Dined on 6/19/2014WHY ARE YOU ASKING ME FOR A REVIEW WHEN YOU ONLY ASKED ME TO RATE THE RESTAURANT…THIS MAKES THE WHOLE THING MORE TROUBLE….WON'T ANSWER MORE IF THIS IS ALL YOU WANT….Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent French RestaurantHollyDined on 6/12/2014We enjoyed this restaurant. The service was pleasant and professional. The food was superb. The restaurant was quiet, but not icily quiet. They could do more with the atmosphere and ambiance, but it is fine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experienceSusanDined on 6/12/2014We celebrated an anniversary here. Loved it! Service and food were excellent. Well worth a trip into La Jolla but we live here, so very convenient for us.Special Features:
- Great preparation, limited choicePacker39Dined on 6/10/2014We dined at Tapenade for my wife's birthday. It had been recommended by several people. The ambiance was quite nice and the service was superb. What we ordered was also well-prepared and very tasty, especially the tart for dessert and the wild boar for the entree. Our main problem is that neither of us can eat shellfish, and the menu tended to be very heavily oriented that way, with every fish dish featuring a shellfish sauce and also shellfish on many salads. Therefore our choices were limited and not sure how soon we would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous steak!disappointedgirlDined on 5/31/2014The tournedos with frites (3 out of 4 at our table ordered them) were outstanding! If you crave beef - you've found the right place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.