1 West High Street
Somerville, NJ 08876Neighborhood:
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.tapastre.com/
- Phone: 9085260505
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30AM - 3:00PM
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00PM - 10:00PM
Friday - Saturday: 5:00PM - 11:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Mediterranean, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Victor Sguera
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: Craft Beer/Tapas Pairing Dinners, Beer and Cigar Pairing events
A word from Tapastre
At Tapastre we offer an ever-changing selection of 12 different craft beers on tap, and over 30 different bottled brews for you to enjoy in our casual, lounge-like atmosphere. Our newly revised all-day menu serves up selections of tapas to please everyone's taste. In addition to our tapas items you'll find traditional fare; soup, salad and sandwiches, to give our guests additional options. We also offer a comprehensive international wine list and the best martinis in town!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Tapastre reviews from OpenTable diners
9 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (8)fit for foodies (7)vibrant bar scene (5)great for outdoor dining (4)good for groups (4)romantic (4)hot spot (3)special occasion (2)great for lunch (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Great martinis!TheRockDined on 9/5/2014We really enjoyed the Fig Martinis and the Bourbon smash from the specials menu. The Tapas were all tasty and unique.Special Features:
- Great Place,Paco2007Dined on 8/16/2014First time dining in Tapastre. The food was great, the atmosphere was great and the staff was very accomodating. The hostess(maybe owner) was very friendly and was doing a little of everything, seating people, setting up tables, cleaning off tables, etc. We ordered dessert and she said it was on the house for the wait. We really did not even think the wait was long but appreciated her gesture.Special Features:
- One of our favsNJFoodieDined on 8/7/2014We love it at Tapastre! Great food, great bet selection, awesome mixed drinks, cool vibe. It's a tapas (small plate) place, but you can get regular entrees as well. However, we love getting lots of small plates to try different things. Love the seafood risotto, ginger shrimp, maple bacon, fried olives, and the Elvis sandwich is a stand out! Great desserts too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Craft Beer List & Great Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/25/2014Having driven by the sign "CRAFT BEER" several times over the past few months we finally decided to try it out on a rare kid-free night. The craft beer list was great and we enjoyed the flight option. The tapas were more than enough on each plate and we found some new favorite dishes like the ginger shrimp! The fish tacos were awesome and the maple bacon??? WHAT? Insanity on a plate. I'm still dreaming about it... :) Yes we will go back!!Special Features:
- Dinner was betterDavidDined on 6/25/2014I'd been to Tapastre for dinner twice before and thought I'd try it for lunch. Based on this visit, dinner is the better choice. Our waiter at lunch was rather lacking in personality, not very knowledgeable about the food and managed to charge us for twice as many glasses of wine as we'd actually had. The food was quite good (although not up to the standard of the dinners I've had here). The tapas-format makes this an especially nice choice for groups of people and there are some really interesting choices on the menu. Wine choices by the glass are limited but they have some very nice bottle choices. They also have a wonderful selection of hand-crafted beers. I'll definitely go back but wouldn't if this lunch had been my first visit.Special Features:
- Thoroughly EnjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/30/2014Had a great time with our adult children celebrating my husband's birthday. Grabbed an outside table on a beautiful evening. Matt, our waiter was pleasant and knowledgeable about the menu. Eternally grateful to Susan, the manager, for re-printing our theater tickets eliminating a trip back home that would have prevented me from enjoying our meal. Dessert was a little slow in arriving which was only a problem because we had plans -otherwise we would have been content to sit for several more hours. We'll definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 70 reviews are from the Tapastre reviews archive.
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/15/2014We've enjoyed the tapas as well as just their burgers. Everything tastes so fresh and is beautifully presented. It has become a neighborhood gem.Special Features:
- Good food awful serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/14/2014The bar tender and waitress made my party feel like it was a chore to fulfill our orders. I had to get up and track our waitress down anytime we needed something. The food was great though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kute KeeperGoodEatsforFunPeepsDined on 5/3/2014Our couples date night out was a success wrapped in surprising tastes and sautéed in a decent variety of spirits. Though perhaps not the most dynamic bar scene the rails is long, lit, and active after 10p on a Saturday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly surprisedAmy30VIPDined on 4/25/2014We have been going here for years. The place has been through ups and downs, menu was changed constantly and for a while we just stayed away. We decided to go back on a Friday night, the place was full and vibrant. Finally the menu is great again! The tapas are tapas size, great flavor, great choices, we are so happy we got our gam back!! We had the Caesar salad always good, the caramel shrimp that was cute, pulled pork sliders very nice, fried olives signature dish forever amazing, pizza with pork amazing, cheese plate was amazing! They also have a beer tasting which I love! And all kinds of good wines! Highly recommend to go there you'll become a regular for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great date night spotMelEatsDined on 4/25/2014Enjoyed dinner on the lovely patio. Server was a bit awkward, but prompt. Lettuce wraps were delicious...had great hopes for the rest of our meal, but entrees were just average. Pizza crust was wafer thin. Great beer list. Poor wine list. Had the weakest Cabernet that I've ever had.Special Features:
- LunchEnthusedDined on 4/8/2014Had a business lunch. I met a colleague there. I had passed the place hundreds of times, and gave it a shot. I was not disappointed! The Morrocan salmon was so good. Great ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Experienceveros925Dined on 3/29/2014The tapas were really good. I loved the shrimp & chorizo. The sangria was delicious. The waitress was very pleasant. The place looks like a house from outside, but it was very energetic inside. The bread pudding was a let down, not very good, but the cappuccino & cheese platter were great. Overall I enjoyed my experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious at timesKaraMarieDined on 3/28/2014We had a variety of tapas and drinks. They have an extensive craft beer selection and a delicious sandwich called the hot elvis sandwich. the sangria was also delicious. the tapas are small (which I know is the point) but at times they were too small for the price in my opinion. It depends what u order. The one problem was our burger was delivered to the table with out a bun and pretty much raw in the middle. (We ordered it rare but it wouldn't even hold together and was still cold in the middle and the consistency of chop meat when it came out.) At first we thought we ordered something without a bun but they just forgot to put the burger on the bun before it came out. They fixed it and we were happy. :) mistakes happenSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent tapas place!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/22/2014The beer list is fabulous as well. Some great and unique craft brews on tap and the food was excellent!Special Features:
- Lovely Double Date!SharonDined on 3/22/2014We had a great time here! Ambiance was very nice and our waitress Sarah was fantastic. They had a great beer selection (which the men enjoyed) and a delicious white peachy Sangria (which the ladies enjoyed). We requested the booth table which was comfy and so nice! As for food, we ordered about 8-10 tapas... and they were yummy! My favorites were the salmon (perfect!), baked brie, chicken lettuce wraps, Chimichurri Chicken (probably the biggest portioned tapas item), and the duck crepe was delicious but a little dry. The only one I didn't like was the pork sliders, very dry and just didn't taste that good to me, but the others liked them fine. Overall a wonderful experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place, horrible server123456789Dined on 3/20/2014Very pleased with the place, food, and ambience. The server was rude and it felt like he was trying to rush us out of there. Also the menu said to ask the server about out craft beers and the guy said "we have a lot of beer." At that point just put them on the menu. I would like to go back there in the summer with friends but I fear that I might beat the daylights out if that guy if i ever see him again. I wont hold the place responsible for that guy though.Special Features:
- Saturday Night dinnerLoveBichonsDined on 1/11/2014Four of us went to Tapastre hoping to share some great appetizers and wine, along with some beer. The first glass of wine was not so good and when we simply mentioned it, the bar tender acted like he didn't hear us, I guess didnt't want to deal with it. We wanted to order a bottle of Santa Margherita, which they said they were out of! Really? On a Saturday night to be out of such a popular wine, $38? Anyhow, the food was just okay. Nothing special. The presentation was nice but lacked flavor. The service was okay as well, the hostess was not very friendly, waitress was better. Our bill was just over $200 so we did order quite a bit of food and drinks, desert and coffee. Would we go back? No, there are better places to visit in Somerville.
- Great find. Good craft beersOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/21/2013This is an amazing place. We love tapas and this place is a great close find. The food was fantastic and the service was good will repeat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small plates and great beer choicesnewnycVIPDined on 12/13/2013Loved the selection of beers! The small plates were fun to eat.Special Features:
- will go againOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/25/2013great dinning though I had mentioned occasion was celebrating bday of a friend, but didn't look like they read or they do anything special celebrating eventsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great beer and tapasrkstantDined on 10/18/2013Enjoyed the flight of beer tasters and a number of small plates of tapas with my wife. Shrimp and Chorizo, baked Brie, fried pickles and short ribs were all good. Matt, our server, did a great job and noted our special occasion that I had in my OpenTable reservation. Matt also made good recommendations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- poor service + bad tapas= no return2fordinnerDined on 10/10/2013First why is there no beer list? The waiter suggested you go to the bar and read the chalk board, Get rid of the chalk board! Two of the items we wanted to order were not available. If you like fried food then you will get by. Was very disappointed. They would do better just offering basic bar food. Waiter never came around to ask how things were and had to flag him down for a drink refill and the place was not busy at the time!Special Features:
- Small plates with reasonablemravenDined on 9/28/2013Small plates with reasonable prices. We each had 2 tapas, so we got a good sampling. Food was very good. They have a broad beer menu with a eclectic tap menuSpecial Features:
- Great Beer listwineanddineVIPDined on 9/14/2013I was very impressed by the beer list and had a chance to sample something different. The 2 plates that I ordered were good, not outstanding, and a perfect match for my beer. I'd have to agree with what others say about coming to drink as the primary reason to return.
- A place to chill..RichVIPDined on 9/13/2013The beer and the service was great. I love the atmosphere and you did not feel rushed at all. It was a great Friday night out with my wife.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EhDinnerGoerDined on 8/21/2013Calamari mixed with re-fry one, .some crunchy, some gummy. Overlooked shrimp. Service was good
- Good food, service, ehOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/21/2013First time visitor and on a beautiful (Friday) night we were hoping to sit outside. Unfortunately 1 person sitting in a chair next to table of familiar patrons/friends took a whole table away. Too bad the hostess could not make some sort of accommodation. The interior ambiance was nice and pleasant. The attention of the service staff was severely lacking and if it were not for the delightful plates that eventually made it to the table, this review could have gone in a more negative direction. Food value was good but you'll need to be a bit patient. Not for rush through diners (we weren't so it didn't bother as much as it could).Special Features:
- Didn't live up to promiseOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/19/2013We had high hopes for Tapastre, which promised something for everyone, including "the best martinis in town." The space was inviting, with nicely situated outdoor tables and a cozy dining room. Alas, though the food was fine and the beer selection interesting, indifferent service and substandard bartending made it a disappointing outing. Our waitress/bartender impatiently awaited our order despite not having given us the drink menu (there's only 1 copy!). Asked if she makes a good martini, she responded "I can try"--sadly, she failed. A mostly-seltzer Mojito was also a miss. Glasses stood empty more than once; had to flag down a server. After we paid, the server returned, unapologetic, with a bar tab they had not added in. Won't be back.Special Features:
- Work on executionOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/31/2013Beer list great. Menu impressive but food did not live up to the menu. Service very congenial. Desserts were very good. Portion sizes small even for a tapas bar. I would say good start with great potentialSpecial Features:
- Great bar, great beer, bad foodEA2979Dined on 5/18/2013The bar was very nice. The beer selection was great. The service was excellent. Unfortunately the food was bad. I would go back but only to drink.
- Not going back to Tapastre ...OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/6/2013Our dining experience at Tapastre was very average - it is unlikely we will go back. We had a reservation and we were seated direcly across from the kitchen - everytime the door opened, we had a bright light in our eyes. Our waiter had an attitude, he was pushy regarding ordering all of our apps at once (though it was unnecessary as the restaurant wasn't crowded and they didn't fit on the table when they arrived), he was not knowledgeable on the menu and he forgot drink refills and was no where to be found. The food is very pricy and the portions extremely small (yes, we know that tapas are appetizer size portions). Also, Tapastre advertises that they have a wide variety of tap beers - well, not on the night that we were there.
- Great Mirco brews on tap.meganDined on 3/16/2013Great Mirco brews on tap. Bartender Justin was fantastic. Had great drink recommendations as well as Tapas. Very personable and fun.Special Features:
- The food was fair. The groupOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/8/2013The food was fair. The group I was with had tapas. For four of us we ordered about 10 plates. We were still hungry afterwards. We would try the place again but not for tapas, we would try thier regular menu.Special Features:
- Overall experience was goodSandmanVIPDined on 2/23/2013Overall experience was good but this place needs to figure out what it wants to serve - food for the bar crowd (sandwiches and burgers were very good) or people looking for Tapas.Special Features:
- Wanted to sit and chat withpamkVIPDined on 2/12/2013Wanted to sit and chat with friends sharing food..this was the perfect place. We were able to talk easily as the noise was moderate. Unfortaunately, there were no beer drinkers in our group as they have a great selection of micro brews. Service was great!Special Features:
- Good for a casual mealOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/2/2013We made our reservation but when we arrived the hostess said they don't check their email so beware of making open table reservations here. In general a good place for a casual meal.Special Features:
- It's Tapas, so anyone complainingAK47VIPDined on 2/2/2013It's Tapas, so anyone complaining about portion size doesn't understand the meaning and should stick to the right side of the menu. The pizza was fantastic along with the beef kabobs, crab cakes and Creme brulee. Cappuccino after dinner was delicious as well. My only complaint would be the spacing between courses. The first course came out fast, but took several minutes for courses #2 and #3 to come out - and yes, they came out at the same time which cluttered up the table. I would have also liked more attention from our waitress as the busboy seemed to do the majority of the work.Special Features:
- Perhaps dinner is better?OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/1/2013First choice of wine (bottle) was not available. Menu for lunch seemed limited. Crab cake(s) were very good my companion said, but my chix breast sandwich had no flavor at all. Hue calarami was prepared to me liking, with a fine coating of crumbs and cooked evenly. The 'salad' served with was just lettuce ribbons dressed with a house vinaigrette...no other choices.Special Features:
- I'm not really sure what TapastreOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/24/2013I'm not really sure what Tapastre is trying to be. Their food is OK but, it used to be not just very good but, very interesting as well. The dumbed down menu and less thoughtful presentation has me on edge. The craft beer selections are new and exciting but, they atmosphere and hours of the establishment seem at odds with their prominence. The management seemed disinterested and unable to wrangle employees. The waitress was rude when I called and inattentive, jarring, and rude while serving (when she decided to ACTUALLY come by the table).