1530 S. State Street
Chicago, IL 60605Neighborhood:
SpanishPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.tapasvalencia.com/
- Phone: (312) 842-4444
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday:4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday:4:00pm - 11:00pm Saturday:5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 10:30AM-3:00pm; 3:00pm-9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Filemon Ochoa
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please contact the event department at 630.983.3563
A word from Tapas Valencia
Sibling to the popular Meson Sabika in suburban Naperville, Tapas Valencia has moved to Chicago’s South Loop Area. It has brought along its #1 Spanish Restaurant ranking in the 2008/2009 Zagat survey. Guests are greeted by a high energy atmosphere with walls adorned in multi-colored mosaic artwork reminiscent of the art of the great Spanish artists Joan Miro and Antoni Gaudí. While dining, guests will find that each item on the menu offers a taste of Spain. Whether it is enjoying hot or cold tapas, an entrée or vintage wine- there is always a pleasant combination of exceptional food, friendly service and unique atmosphere where family and friendship can live life in celebration.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpanish
Tapas Valencia - Best Restaurants in South Loop ›
Tapas Valencia reviews from OpenTable diners
86 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (50)good for groups (49)fit for foodies (49)special occasion (25)romantic (20)hot spot (20)vibrant bar scene (17)great for outdoor dining (16)notable wine list (14)great for brunch (13)kid-friendly (11)late-night find (6)great for lunch (5)scenic view (2)Show More
- Great, fun restaurant with fabulous food!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 11/15/2014We need a restaurant near McCormick Place Hyatt as we were meeting a friend who was staying there. This place was perfect! Cool atmosphere, friendly hostess and server, honored our reservation, great selection and great food. Our server was attentive but let us talk and sit. He made some recommendations that were right on. Would definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food Good Place Small SizeLemlemcoVIPDined on 11/15/2014This place was great. The waitstaff was very good. The food was very good. The portions were on the small end of the scale. We will return again..... ShalomSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best tapas restaurant in ChicagoMmaureenVIPDined on 11/14/2014Tapas Valencia is outstanding in every category - food, wine, specialty cocktails, service, and ambience. From the moment you walk in you are charmed. There is something for everyone. The portions are generous and the prices reasonable. Don't miss it"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodKaceeDined on 11/10/2014I recently met a group of friends at Tapas Valencia. It's the perfect place to take your time over dining. You can order as much variety as you choose. The drinks are good - especially the Pomegranate martini. Nice wine list too! We went with the waiter's recommendations for the appetizers and were very pleased. Then chose the others ourselves. Everything was delicious! Most of the group found on street free parking but I love the $6 valet parking option!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice varietydocbartDined on 11/9/2014Tapas for relatively good price! Lots of food which is well prepared, quickly delivered, attentive service, not too crowded on a SundaySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great timeSweebladesDined on 10/31/2014Once again we impressed our out of town relatives with a trip to your restaurant on a very blustery Halloween. Thank you. His and the rest of the wait staff were very helpful and energetic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- vsvsDined on 10/24/2014Outstanding, as ever - never dispaoointed the past 8 years :) the rainbow trout cold tapas special was esp. outstanding.Special Features:
- Never disappoints!!Michaeljm4VIPDined on 10/18/2014Like it's sister restaurant Meson Sabika in Naperville this outstanding tapas gem never disappoints. From the reasonable wine list to the wide variety of hot cold and desert tapas, this is a great place to spend time in conversation and serious noshing. The 3 guitarists and flamenco dancer are not too obtrusive and set a very festive mood. Valet parking seals the deal for convenience too.Special Features:
- Solid choiceopentable94Dined on 10/17/2014I have been to Tapas Valencia several times, and always enjoy myself. However, this last time, I was bummed to be served a frozen tortilla espanola -- it was like ice, you could chew the crystals. Someone forgot to defrost it. We should have sent it back, but didn't.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NM2013VIPDined on 10/11/2014The best Spanish restaurant in Chicago! Food is very flavorful and service is impeccable. Must visitSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent findTgm4bonesVIPDined on 10/10/2014Service spectacular-knowledgeable and animated. Every suggestion a hitSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place in South LoopAlanDined on 10/10/2014This is an excellent restaurant, great staff, often vibrant and busy. Food choices are a nice cross section of the Tapas approach.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great Surprise!BettyDined on 10/4/2014Tapas Valencia was a great surprise. I went for my birthday with four other friends. We were seated promptly and treated kindly by every single staff member we encountered. Noise level wasn't high at 5:30pm, so we could actually enjoy our conversation. Waiters were total ROCK STARS. Great recommendations and service. We shared like 8 different tapas and 2 pitchers of sangria and they were all delicious. Dessert was phenomenal too! That cazuelita de chocolate and the bizcocho borracho were a highlight along with the baked goat cheese and the croquetas. Best birthday dinner I've spent at a restaurant, for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A PleasureWoodyDined on 10/3/2014We have enjoyed Tapas Valencia on a number of occasions and this time it seemed to us to be even better. The traditional tapas are done in the traditional manner but there are excellent, original items on the menu. Definitely worth a visit.Special Features:
- Awesome!foodluverchiDined on 10/3/2014I had an excellent experience here. The flavors of the food were unique but made sense, there was a great variety for an excellent price point. Our waitress made great recommendations as well and I think it would be a great restaurant for large groups as all as everyone had the same dietary preferences. Overall excellent food and service! I will definitely go back.Special Features:
- GreatRoberto12Dined on 9/30/2014All was excellent xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSpecial Features:
- Always tasty and vibrant.Zena13VIPDined on 9/27/2014My husband and I go here about once a month as we live nearby. The food is always really good. We like to order a mixture of confirmed favorites and try new things every time. They have a lot of great vegetarian and seafood options. The service is a little hit or miss, but always very friendly. This past time, it took our server a while to get to us, but once she did, the service was good. The live music with a Flamenco dancer on a Saturday night was good and entertaining. The place is a neighborhood gem. We always bring out of town guests for the great food and colorful decor.Special Features:
- good experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014nice people with many options for tapas. the suggestions from waitress was tastey. The Sangria Cava is champagne. I did not know that. They should put that in the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectJacobDined on 9/26/2014Like it very much: food, service, people. Every time we try new dish: and we like each one of them.Special Features:
- GottaGoHereGottaGoGirlDined on 9/16/2014Loved it from the moment we got there. Being from Harbor Country in Michigan, with lots of great dining we were looking for a hip and cool Chicago neighborhood jewel during a weekday excursion to Trader Joes in the south loop. We we not disappointed. Grabbed a hightop in the bar to check out the local scene. Order a single wine flight upon recommendation of very attentive and knowledgable server Alvin. The wine samples in the flight were generous and did not disappoint...yummm. We had olives, cheese with great bread to start, a couple of amazing tapas and then the paella... oh my! A great mid week escape , followed by our sojourn to Trader Joe's and then back home to Michigan. We will do this again and again. You should do the same!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding foodBetsDined on 9/13/2014There were four of us, so we were able to have a good sampling of the tapas. All were excellent. Great flavors, plenty of variety, and good portions. Our only negative was that we did not get all the tapas we ordered; that said, we certainly were not charged for them either. I highly recommend!Special Features:
- Birthday dinner party!AC44Dined on 9/13/2014I had a birthday dinner party for 14 people - everything was great! The staff were very nice and accommodating. Their band even dedicated a song to me for my birthday - a nice surprise :) The food was awesome, as always! I can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'd eat here every night...CarlaVZVIPDined on 9/8/2014so many delicious choices! we always have the tomato y queso and the king crab toast points...but haven't tried anything that wasn't amazingly delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great variety of TapasMacGregor417Dined on 9/6/2014The music also good, and I loved the mosaics and lighting. Excellent ham, excellent scallops, great chocolate cake. A bit loud if one is trying to talk across a table sometimes, but you can ask to sit away from music. Staff is so welcoming.Special Features:
- OutstandingJacobDined on 9/5/2014Not first time been there. Like food, service, atmosphere, vibe. Highly recommending for all occasions.Special Features:
- must getOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/29/2014Bacon wrapped dates Duck confit Rib eye Sauteed bananas Cleaned the plates!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We’ll be Back!ComishDined on 8/29/2014Perfect neighborhood, nice night out. Valet is $6.00 as cheap as a meter. Manager does check ins to make sure all is good. Some servers are from Spain. Sauces are really nice ~ fun, with exposure to different food and great to share.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun spotimpsquirrelVIPDined on 8/23/2014Interesting menu, moderate prices, and a Spanish atmosphere make this a lively and novel place to dine and drink.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and serviceGaryVIPDined on 8/16/2014One tapas was better than the next! The service was outstanding as well.
- IAMRB2Dined on 8/9/2014We stopped by Tapas Valencia prior to an evening concert at the First Merit Bank music venue. We arrived in time to catch a few of the Special Bar Tapas for $3 each from 4-6:30 pm. Wow...they were all fabulous. The other tapas on the menu were great too. It is a very cute place with an outdoor seating area and lots of great food options. Definitely would return and recommend to friends.Special Features:
- Delicious TapasChicGourmetVIPDined on 8/9/2014Music and flamenco now enhance an already delightful dining experience at Tapas V. We love the wide and delicious tapas selection served in good portion sizes. Tilapia with spinach and artichokes is scrumptious as are marinated shrimp or patatas con alioli and scallops with Israeli couscous. Bacon-wrapped dates are to swoon over. Steak with garlic mashed potatoes, patatas bravas, and stuffed mushrooms are all tasty. Tuna-stuffed cannelloni and pato confitado are yummy as well as creative. We always enjoy the baked goat cheese as well. There are multiple vegetarian options, other fish and seafood options, and chicken creations as well. Service is friendly, the artwork is striking, and the management accommodating. Worth a detour!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved speaking spanish to waiter!SMAHANDined on 8/5/2014Ordering in Spanish definitely gives this place a vibrance you don't get every where in the city. Loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Spanish tapas restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/27/2014"I love the relaxed feel of this place – like a comfortable dining room in a friends home. I definitely would return to try more dishes. The potato-leek soup was amazing and the Bibb lettuce salad was refreshing. The table was split on the monkfish – one person thought it was great, but another felt that the tastes didn't quite mesh. Everyone loved the flat iron steak. Service was well-timed and friendly, wines were affordable."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Took the familyBusyfamilyeattogetherDined on 7/26/2014Picky kids had something to order too. Amazing shrimp dish.!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place for small bitesDay2UDined on 7/25/2014Nice venue with a nice lineup of food. Good place To go pre-late night with friends for some small bites and drinks. Wish they stayed open later than 11p on Friday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great tapasAquitaine0627VIPDined on 7/25/2014Very good service! the tapas, especially shrimp and calamares were excellent. The paella Valenciana was supposed to be for one but was sufficient for two. However, it could have been spicier - adding some chorizo perhaps?Special Features:
- The following 866 reviews are from the Tapas Valencia reviews archive.
- Love this place!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/23/2014I love this place. The food is excellent! The service is excellent! And the ambiance is excellent! But they are a little pricey for a tapas restaurant. I'm not used to tapas dishes being so expensive. They are supposed to be less expensive so you order more food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tapas Valencia is Outstanding!MmaureenVIPDined on 7/20/2014Our dinner was amazing. we started with the dates wrapped in bacon, potato salad. and cold cucumber soup. We then had octopus and the seafood skewers, which were a special. Finally, we has an amazing dessert - chocolate base with cream topping. Every dish was delicious and accompanied by excellent wine. The service is excellent. Everyone from the manager to the car valet greets you like family. One of the best restaurants in Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a GREAT time!shamrockbbDined on 7/19/2014We booked this location from a recommendation from a local. We had a party of 10 here for a bachelorette party, and the service and food were amazing! I would definitely recommend this venue to anyone visiting or living in the Chicago area. Crystal was our server, and she was spectacular!Special Features:
- Hit and missMfaz1550VIPDined on 7/18/2014We have been to TV many times and have alternatively enjoyed and been frustrated by the experience. There always seems to be one dish that disappoints while others are great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.