1530 S. State Street
Chicago, IL 60605Neighborhood:
SpanishPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.tapasvalencia.com/
- Phone: 3128424444
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday:4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday:4:00pm - 11:00pm Saturday:5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 10:30AM-3:00pm; 3:00pm-9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Filemon Ochoa
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please contact the event department at 630.983.3563
A word from Tapas Valencia
Sibling to the popular Meson Sabika in suburban Naperville, Tapas Valencia has moved to Chicago’s South Loop Area. It has brought along its #1 Spanish Restaurant ranking in the 2008/2009 Zagat survey. Guests are greeted by a high energy atmosphere with walls adorned in multi-colored mosaic artwork reminiscent of the art of the great Spanish artists Joan Miro and Antoni Gaudí. While dining, guests will find that each item on the menu offers a taste of Spain. Whether it is enjoying hot or cold tapas, an entrée or vintage wine- there is always a pleasant combination of exceptional food, friendly service and unique atmosphere where family and friendship can live life in celebration.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Tapas Valencia reviews from OpenTable diners
109 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (69)neighborhood gem (58)fit for foodies (54)special occasion (34)romantic (27)great for brunch (21)great for outdoor dining (21)vibrant bar scene (18)notable wine list (16)hot spot (16)kid-friendly (14)great for lunch (13)late-night find (12)scenic view (1)Show More
- must getOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/29/2014Bacon wrapped dates Duck confit Rib eye Sauteed bananas Cleaned the plates!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We’ll be Back!ComishDined on 8/29/2014Perfect neighborhood, nice night out. Valet is $6.00 as cheap as a meter. Manager does check ins to make sure all is good. Some servers are from Spain. Sauces are really nice ~ fun, with exposure to different food and great to share.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun spotimpsquirrelVIPDined on 8/23/2014Interesting menu, moderate prices, and a Spanish atmosphere make this a lively and novel place to dine and drink.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and serviceGaryVIPDined on 8/16/2014One tapas was better than the next! The service was outstanding as well.
- IAMRB2Dined on 8/9/2014We stopped by Tapas Valencia prior to an evening concert at the First Merit Bank music venue. We arrived in time to catch a few of the Special Bar Tapas for $3 each from 4-6:30 pm. Wow...they were all fabulous. The other tapas on the menu were great too. It is a very cute place with an outdoor seating area and lots of great food options. Definitely would return and recommend to friends.Special Features:
- Delicious TapasChicGourmetVIPDined on 8/9/2014Music and flamenco now enhance an already delightful dining experience at Tapas V. We love the wide and delicious tapas selection served in good portion sizes. Tilapia with spinach and artichokes is scrumptious as are marinated shrimp or patatas con alioli and scallops with Israeli couscous. Bacon-wrapped dates are to swoon over. Steak with garlic mashed potatoes, patatas bravas, and stuffed mushrooms are all tasty. Tuna-stuffed cannelloni and pato confitado are yummy as well as creative. We always enjoy the baked goat cheese as well. There are multiple vegetarian options, other fish and seafood options, and chicken creations as well. Service is friendly, the artwork is striking, and the management accommodating. Worth a detour!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved speaking spanish to waiter!SMAHANDined on 8/5/2014Ordering in Spanish definitely gives this place a vibrance you don't get every where in the city. Loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Spanish tapas restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/27/2014"I love the relaxed feel of this place – like a comfortable dining room in a friends home. I definitely would return to try more dishes. The potato-leek soup was amazing and the Bibb lettuce salad was refreshing. The table was split on the monkfish – one person thought it was great, but another felt that the tastes didn't quite mesh. Everyone loved the flat iron steak. Service was well-timed and friendly, wines were affordable."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Took the familyBusyfamilyeattogetherDined on 7/26/2014Picky kids had something to order too. Amazing shrimp dish.!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place for small bitesDay2UDined on 7/25/2014Nice venue with a nice lineup of food. Good place To go pre-late night with friends for some small bites and drinks. Wish they stayed open later than 11p on Friday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great tapasAquitaine0627Dined on 7/25/2014Very good service! the tapas, especially shrimp and calamares were excellent. The paella Valenciana was supposed to be for one but was sufficient for two. However, it could have been spicier - adding some chorizo perhaps?Special Features:
- Love this place!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/23/2014I love this place. The food is excellent! The service is excellent! And the ambiance is excellent! But they are a little pricey for a tapas restaurant. I'm not used to tapas dishes being so expensive. They are supposed to be less expensive so you order more food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tapas Valencia is Outstanding!MmaureenVIPDined on 7/20/2014Our dinner was amazing. we started with the dates wrapped in bacon, potato salad. and cold cucumber soup. We then had octopus and the seafood skewers, which were a special. Finally, we has an amazing dessert - chocolate base with cream topping. Every dish was delicious and accompanied by excellent wine. The service is excellent. Everyone from the manager to the car valet greets you like family. One of the best restaurants in Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a GREAT time!shamrockbbDined on 7/19/2014We booked this location from a recommendation from a local. We had a party of 10 here for a bachelorette party, and the service and food were amazing! I would definitely recommend this venue to anyone visiting or living in the Chicago area. Crystal was our server, and she was spectacular!Special Features:
- Hit and missMfaz1550VIPDined on 7/18/2014We have been to TV many times and have alternatively enjoyed and been frustrated by the experience. There always seems to be one dish that disappoints while others are great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was amazingNfarahfoodDined on 7/15/2014Get the bacon wrapped dates! So good, we ordered it twice. Also the olives that come before food were to die for, and the sauces on every dish were licked clean. Like most good tapas places, can get a but pricey. Also-- the dessert with berries and white chocolate mouse..wow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and fine ambience.JudyDined on 7/12/2014My husband and I stopped at Tapas Valencia after seeing the Last Ship in the Loop. We had delicious pomegranite Martinis, a selection of tapas and dessert. We enjoyed it! ,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday Celebrations-Good TimesAjohnson711Dined on 7/11/2014I had a birthday gathering here and I was delighted with our server. She was kind and thoughtful, taking pictures of our group and even bringing a little bday treat at the end. My only complaint was that I had one guest that stayed for just a little while and only ordered about $13 worth of items, and somehow her card was charged the full amount of our bill-about $232. When I spoke to the manager about it, he seemed like he was not at all concerned. He said, "oh, it'll clear in a couple days, we'll look into it". I found his tone to be both rude and inconsiderate regarding the situation. He eventually got it together and was later apologetic, but only after my tone became clearly more agitated. Overall, good experience. I'd go back.Special Features:
- AMAZINGOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/10/2014We came to dine from out of town for my bachlorette party. The service was outstanding, Francisco and the rest of the staff treated us like VIP's. Every plate we shared was incredible and we happened to be there on a Thursday when they had $5 drink specials, the mojitos and margaritas we had were top notch. We had such a fabulous dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tapas Valencia - the bestMmaureenVIPDined on 7/6/2014Tapas Valencia is the best tapas restaurant in Chicago. There are other nice small plate restaurants in the neighborhood, but this is the best. The food is outstanding. We shared dates wrapped in bacon, the seafood medley, pot medallions, and the trout special. All we we beautifully prepared and generous portions. From the moment you are greeted by Jose you are treated in a warm and welcoming manner. A wonderful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved this place!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/5/2014Great food, service, and atmosphere. The music and flamenco dancer were wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood gem!AshleyDined on 6/21/2014This was my 2nd time there and won't be my last. The food and service was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Many minis!forgoodnesssakeDined on 6/7/2014This was our first time doing tapas. The small plate servings and sharing make for great mingling and conversation. The food was great as was the entertainment. This is a great hang-out spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceIndyTravelerDined on 6/6/2014We had a great experience at Tapas Valencia. I have dietary restrictions and even though the menu was well-labeled for gluten free and vegetarian items, the waitress made an extra effort to verify with the chef that the items we selected were indeed suitable for me. The food was amazing and the service was excellent. I would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- What i was expectingJosefdz1996Dined on 6/1/2014Tapas Valencia was unique compared to other Restaurants I really enjoyed myself and i felt welcomed once i walked in ,is the best place to go for pretty much every occasion In my opinion the food is AMAZING has great flavor it looks really delicious and it stands out the food that they serve, is something that people dont eat everyday. They also have an abundant of choices to choose from to cold food to hot food.The service is really wonderful they have great attitudes they are really welcoming to the customers they are also very helpful , I recommend Tapas Valencia to everyone this place is amazing and really layed back i enjoyed myself had a very unique happy experience there. I guarantee that people will NOT regret going there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food Wonderful ServicemoreorangesDined on 5/31/2014A group of us visiting Chicago found this great Tapas venue. Great service and wonderful food and added ambiance by live music. Had a wonderful eveningSpecial Features:
- Great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/30/2014This restaurant had great service, friendly waiters and food quality was excellent. Their alcohol menu had a wide variety of options.Special Features:
- Tapas 5/25/14cvdnolaDined on 5/25/2014Made a reservation, still had to wait to be seated. Very loud and busy. Waitress was MIA. Under staffed. Paella was only ok. About half the tapas were good, the others unremarkable. Would try it again doing tapas at the bar and drinks. Not a sit down dinner type experience.Special Features:
- OverratedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/25/2014The manager of the restaurant is the best thing about this place. It was beautifully decorated by him and he oversees operations quite well for a busy place like this. That said, we ordered five dishes (1 cold, 4 hot) and two desserts. Of these plates, only one hot plate was good at all, the cold plate was just cheese and ham so it was fine, the desserts were good, but the remaining three hot plates were garbage. There were not many good options to choose from in my opinion and our server caused us to narrow our order even more when she made remarks like, "Well that one is not horrible." Yea I think I will refrain from ordering something that is "not horrible." I would not recommend this place for any occasion.
- Not worth ittapasfanDined on 5/25/2014There are plenty of very good tapas restaurants in the north side of the city, this one just deosn't cut it. I ordered the gambas al ajo (garlic shrimp) and I could not taste the garlic, plus, it seemed they just add some kind of garlic cream sauce. The batatas bravas (hot potatoes) were all clumped together with dried up tomato sauce, though this was probably the tastiest plate I had. We had a blue cheese skirt steak which tasted like it had been reheated. The bacon-wraped dates were good, and the sangrias were very good. I guess just go there for the drinks; not the food. The waitress told us that she'd been apologizing all day, don't know if that's a good sign.Special Features:
- Good but not excellentDanielGDined on 5/25/2014The food and service were good but nothing in the menu that surprised us. I would come back for tapas. Pricing is good, they had specials for drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/24/2014The food is amazing and the atmosphere is perfect for a date or a group outingSpecial Features:
- Birthday dinner!Foodie24Dined on 5/24/2014I came here with about 11 people for my birthday around 6PM. Everyone, from the moment we walked in to the moment we left, was absolutely amazing. Everyone has a smile on their face. We ordered many different tapas and I was not disappointed in any of them. The paella mariscos was impeccable. My dinner was definitely special. To top it off there was live music! I would definitely return here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very goodJacobDined on 5/23/2014Food was delisious 2 new items were excellent. Manager came to our table asked for our opinion. Service was efficient, the whole atmosphere very friendly. We love that place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Great ExperienceChitownSistaVIPDined on 5/19/2014This was my 2nd time here. And we enjoyed it as much as we did on our first visit. I love the decor and the always great service. The food was great too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulOhkeeyDined on 5/17/2014I was searching for a place to go to after graduation! I found this place on yelp and I am very happy I gave it a try. We had live entertainment plus wonderful food! I would definitely go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant!MikeDined on 5/16/2014Lively excellent decor! Staff was excellent. Manager even came out and helped us get a taxi. Food and wine selection was excellent . Great balance of attention and letting us enjoy our meal by our waitressSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!ChadDined on 5/15/2014Walking into Tapas Valencia, I was greeted by the Manager, Jose, and his energy is contagious. It was a great experience for my entire group, and Clemencia, our waitress took great care of us. The food was outstanding, the sangria hit the spot, and overall, a wonderful experience. I would highly recommend.Special Features:
- fairOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014Took there my wife.on Mothers day and we didnt realize that the only thing they offered was a bufet type of brumch. we reserved for 1:45 and when we asked for the.regular menu we were told by the server that we should then wait until five for regular menu features. Of course we had to refuse because we were with a.child and.we.were not going to wait 3hours. $36 per person for a bufet type of spanish food. Ok. But we would.have.look for a.real bufet.
- Mother's Day FunOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/11/2014Our Mother's Day Brunch with the pre-fix menu and pricing was just great. The food was good and plenty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.