28 NE 28th Ave
Portland, OR 97232Neighborhood:
Creole / Cajun / SouthernPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.tapalaya.com/
- Phone: 5032326652
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday 4:30PM - 9:30PM
Friday & Saturday 4:30PM - 10:30PM Sunday 4:30PM - 9:00PM
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Creole / Cajun / Southern, Tapas / Small Plates
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We are happy to cater your event, large or small! For more information, please contact Chantal Angot at 503-232-6652.
- Entertainment: Live Music Every Thursday from 6-9pm.
A word from Tapalaya
Tapalaya is the worlds first tapas (small-plates) restaurant serving Cajun/Creole cuisine. Everything on our menu is made from scratch, with love. The plates of food are small (appetizer or side items size) and perfect for sharing and pairing. Menu items highlight New Orleans favorites: Jambalaya, Collard Greens, N"awlins BBQ Shrimp, Corn Bread and Po'Boys (just to name a few). Join us for Live Music every Thursday and Happy Hour Every day (4:30-6:00pm).Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Tapalaya reviews from OpenTable diners
29 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (17)fit for foodies (14)good for groups (10)romantic (6)special occasion (6)great for lunch (6)vibrant bar scene (4)kid-friendly (3)great for outdoor dining (3)hot spot (3)great for brunch (2)notable wine list (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- It was a GREAT EXPERIENCE!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014This was the first time we ate here! Everyone was very friendly and service was GREAT! Kelly was our server...she was FANTASTIC!!! It was nice to tray many different dishes. We tried like 20 Different things. You need to really need to check this place out!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/22/2014This truly is a neighborhood gem! My partner and I came to find this place as a suggestion on YELP! I am so glad we decided to try it out. Usually he doesn't go for the really "spicy" stuff that cajun/creole food is known for. But, this was OUTSTANDING. Just the right amount of spice to enlighten your palate, but at the same time not overpower it. Service was amazing as well. Highly recommend and we WILL be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food and musictrlambDined on 8/19/2014Four of us dined on a Tuesday evening, when Reggie Houston was playing. We sampled at about 7 items from the happy hour and regular menus. All the food was tasty, and the service was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cajun11goose19VIPDined on 8/18/2014The menu listing is better than the actual execution. This was our first visit to Tapalaya. At noon we were the only table being served. The food is average. The pulled pork Po'boy sandwiches were ordinary. However the black eyed pea salad was well prepared.
- First timenew2pdxDined on 8/14/2014A group of 6 of us had dinner for the first time here on a Thursday. Food was great - service was attentive - and music was outstandingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/1/2014My wife and I have dined here before and really loved the place. We decided to come here a 2nd time for our first date night in a few weeks; we just recently had a newborn and haven't been out much! The service was excellent (Waitress was Laura), the food was excellent (try the BBQ Pork Belly Skewers - absolutely amazing) and the overall staff and atmosphere was excellent. We highly recommend this place to eat at - lots of great choices using small plates. They have great happy hour options too!Special Features:
- Dinner after visit to museum!nortonDined on 7/19/2014Great atmosphere and authentic Cajun food. Had dinner with friends after visiting Portland Museum.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real taste of New OrleansSoutherntransplantDined on 7/17/2014Amazing food, friendly and attentive service, delicious, inventive drinks, and fun, eclectic atmosphere. Truly a neighborhood gem, worth a drive across town; one of our favorite spots for a fun, casual night out. Have never had anything we didn't like, but the favorites that call us back again and again are the risotto jambalaya, fried chicken (drizzle on a little of the Bourbon pecan syrup!), crawfish étouffée, red beans and rice, and crawfish Monica. Labeled as "small plates" but unless you're really hungry 2-3 to share per person is ample. Highly recommend trying the margarita with house-made cucumber vodka. The cucumber taste w/ the salt and sweet-sour of the margarita are a perfect sip of refreshing flavor! Great mint juleps, too!Special Features:
- Easy DiningWestSideDined on 7/5/2014Small plate approach to Cajun dining. My wife and I enjoyed the chance to mix and match the dishes. Many vegetarian options for traditionally not vegetarian Cajun dishes. We chose 7 for the two of us. That was more than enough, but we couldn't pass up the cornbread.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never a bite thats not perfectOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/26/2014Tapalaya is consistently the best food I ever eat. Every single item is cooked and flavored perfectly. This food is unlike anything else in Portland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- <3 TapalayaOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/7/2014My husband and I live near 28th St., and Tapalaya is easily one of our favorite restaurants. We had our wedding dinner here this past weekend while our family was in town, and my parents can't wait to go back. The fried okra and chicken are my favorite items on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tapas@TapalayaYumkdfavesDined on 5/30/2014We couldn't stop at just a few little bites! Delicious pork belly skewers and the Grillades and Grits we moved on to Rissoto Jambalaya...the 4 of us kept ordering & sharing til we couldn't eat any more:) hmmm I think we'll be going back there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Southern ComfortKatmanducDined on 5/24/2014Every dish we ordered was a winner. It was like eating in a Louisiana small town café with wonderful surprises. We ate family style so we could all try the different dishes. Who knew I would love fried okra.Special Features:
- New Orleans has competition !DiningDezDined on 5/23/2014I've been to New Orleans several times over the years and your food is authentic and does not disappoint . The drinks are delicious .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingPoshDined on 5/11/2014This is a gem of a neighborhood restaurant!!! The. Food was excellent and service attentive. It was a great choice for a Mother's Day celebration. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedNot4bdayDined on 5/6/2014My son and husband took me there for my birthday in 2013 and we had a wonderful time. I took my husband for his birthday last week 2014 and it was horrible. Really rude servers.Special Features:
- Wait staffluvdajazzDined on 5/6/2014Could practice friendly. Asked waitress what was on tap and she replied its up there! Up there was a small blackboard hanging on a post with 4 beers scribbled on it. The waiter never smiled.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 171 reviews are from the Tapalaya reviews archive.
- WonderfulwebfootDined on 5/1/2014Went for a birthday dinner. Food was great as was the music. Would highly recommend.Special Features:
- Consistent excellenceBevaruDined on 4/29/2014I never know which pleases me more - the scrumptious food or the excellent music of Reggie Houston and Janice Scroggins. Both satisfy and leave you smiling!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Southern DelightJonesDADined on 4/26/2014Food and service was on point. We ordered a variety of dishes and was not disappointed.Special Features:
- Better Than I ThoughtOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/26/2014This was my first time to TapaIaya with my fiancée and close friends and their 3 children. Our reservation was made through OpenTable for 7 o'clock. This place was a bit loud, but most places on a Saturday would be. We loved the idea of small plates and enjoyed the variety of foods to our choosing as we, children included, are big eaters. It was priced fairly well and the food was cooked to order. Being said that, the food came out relatively fast. Overall, I would recommend it. As I would tell anyone, just try it once and decide for yourself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 4/25/2014This was our first visit. Everything we tried was amazing! The portions are just the right size and great authentic flavors. And the desserts are AMAZING! We will back (again and again)Special Features:
- Ok servicejoonbiVIPDined on 4/25/2014I have dined at this place a few times. The service was always pretty good. For some reason on this night the service was really bad. The waitress didn't bring 2 items that we ordered. When I asked our waitress when our corn bread and Mac and cheese were coming out, she said she didn't hear us order them. We ordered the 2 food items again and waited and waited for the food to come out. It never came. When I asked her where our food was she apologized and stated she forgot to tell the cook. We left still hungry and disappointed. I will be back because the previous times I dined at this place the service was pretty good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing but AWESOMEreluctantfoodieDined on 4/22/2014Have been here twice, with groups, GREAT Happy hour treats, happy prices, and Laura is one of the most AWESOME waitresses in Portland, just makes you feel at home and does a fantastic job taking care of everything our group needed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good place.JohnBDined on 4/5/2014This was our second visit. I think we are going to add it to our short list of favorite places. The first time wasn't a fluke. Love the Creole tapas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fun experienceWhitneyDined on 4/4/2014Good food - no complaints there. Service was awful - pretty sure she was stoned. Constantly forgot our drinks and food items. Had to flag her down repeatedly to get refills, etc. She could have pushed the drinks and upped the bill and her tip. Very disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time visitBethDined on 4/4/2014So delicious. Will definitely be back. Awesome fast service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Festive Evening at TapalayaDrinkyVIPDined on 3/25/2014The food at Tapalaya never disappoints - our favorite meal is a fried shrimp po' boy and any version of the vegetarian jambalaya. The jambalaya changes based on what seasonal veggies are fresh & plentiful - this time it was kale with roasted cauliflower and brussels sprouts. The serving is perfect for sharing. Tapalaya's mint julep is perfectly balanced - just the right amount of booze & sweetness. We can never have just one. Our server, Laura, was delightful, and the music was excellent - if you like good jazz, go on a Tuesday when Reggie Houston and Janice Scroggins are playing.Special Features:
- Lively place, lively foodTariVIPDined on 3/22/2014A great time. Lots of fun food, with plenty of vegetarian and gluten free options. Kelly was an excellent server. We will definitely return. Best Cajun food I've had outside of New Orleans.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mostly good Cajun & CreolebuzzDined on 3/22/2014The étouffée was only fair. It was watery and tomato based rather than roux based. Everything else was great especially the fried food which was excellent. Great flavor and not greasy. Our server was outstanding! Very informative and attentive. She took extra care of our guest whose English wasn't great. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- Secret LunchilexDined on 3/16/2014Very quiet at lunchtime on a Sunday! The portions are smallish (I mean, they are officially small plates), but the food is good. I didn't see what all the fuss is about the mac and cheese. Tasty, but pretty standard. The fried oysters were delicious. Our waitperson was on top of it and cleared dishes as we emptied them. No dessert options, but there's a gelato place a block or two down.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Evening of funSprilDined on 3/15/2014Our college crowd of 10 had a great time tasting and sharing different plates. Love Tapalaya for its flexibility in toning down some of the spicy dishes for us lightweights. Looking forward to our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Creole on the CoastOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/14/2014Take it from a Southerner, this creole food will not disappoint. Everything here from drinks to food to dessert is amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Food!skilaDined on 3/14/2014I loved this place! They had so many different items on the menu and it's nothing like I've seen anywhere. I'd highly recommend this place for foodies, as you can try several different dishes since they serve tapas style.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great birthday spotSLVSDined on 3/13/2014Staff at Tapalaya were very generous, and in all amazing. I told them of a last minute change in group size, but then had another change after half the group was seated. We really appreciate them willing to move around the tables to accommodate our group. And also, they were especially nice about giving my friend a surprise candle on a cake when I asked. To add a cherry on top, the cake was even on the house :) It was a fun experience overall, definitely a recommendation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great New Orleans VibeSammykDined on 3/12/2014If you need a New Orleans fix without flying there, this is a great place to go. It's more down home New Orleans as far as vibe, which I love, but the food is upscale. Great menu, including poboy's. The shrimp and grits are spectacular. It's all small plates so sharing with a few people is a great way to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/8/2014Great food. Excellent service. But way too noisy. Conversation impossible without yelling. Would not recommend.
- Only complaint is that theOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/5/2014Only complaint is that the music was so loud that it was hard to hear the waiter and there wasn't live music that night. :( Love the atmosphere & food was good! Price was good too. Definitely want to come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mardi Gras CelebrationmardiagrasmavenDined on 3/4/2014If it weren't for the excitement of our crowd of Southern transplants trying to make the best of one of our favorite holidays here in Portland, the rating would have been worse. The food was exactly what we were there for but we were also hoping that it would be as hopping as the place was in 2013. No sir. It was a bust. We were fine with the lackluster event night initially, then we ordered. The server ignored one member of our party of three ENTIRELY. Our first drink order took more than 20 minutes to arrive (and the place was slow) *and* the drinks were served about 5-10 minutes apart. Three drinks. 5-10 minutes apart. What? The food also arrived in a staggered fashion and was small for the prices. Thank goodness it was tasty.Special Features:
- Makes me miss New OrleanssaintcelesteDined on 3/4/2014Tapalaya is the only place I have found in Portland that offers truly authentic Southern food! It really makes me miss New Orleans, and satisfies all of my Southern comfort-food cravings. The food quality is incredible, very very fresh compared to other restaurants. And the service is amazing, always flawless. My husband and I have made this our favorite restaurant, and we will be back over and over again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.