28 NE 28th Ave
Portland, OR 97232Neighborhood:
Creole / Cajun / SouthernPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.tapalaya.com/
- Phone: (503) 232-6652
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday 4:30PM - 9:30PM
Friday & Saturday 4:30PM - 10:30PM Sunday 4:30PM - 9:00PM
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Creole / Cajun / Southern, Tapas / Small Plates
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We are happy to cater your event, large or small! For more information, please contact Chantal Angot at 503-232-6652.
- Entertainment: Live Music Every Thursday from 6-9pm.
A word from Tapalaya
Tapalaya is the worlds first tapas (small-plates) restaurant serving Cajun/Creole cuisine. Everything on our menu is made from scratch, with love. The plates of food are small (appetizer or side items size) and perfect for sharing and pairing. Menu items highlight New Orleans favorites: Jambalaya, Collard Greens, N"awlins BBQ Shrimp, Corn Bread and Po'Boys (just to name a few). Join us for Live Music every Thursday and Happy Hour Every day (4:30-6:00pm).Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Tapalaya reviews from OpenTable diners
28 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (17)fit for foodies (12)good for groups (10)kid-friendly (4)romantic (3)special occasion (3)hot spot (3)great for lunch (2)vibrant bar scene (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Reasonable Cajun small platesrisinggrDined on 11/22/2014I have a rather sensitive to heat pallet unlike my partner who eats very little so I was hoping to spark his interest. He had the tried oysters though he prefers fresh. I had the seafood special of muscles and giant prawns. There was no significant broth and the muscles had a strong flavor. We had the bread pudding with their home made buttermilk ice cream. The ice cream was great. Tapalaya is a good restaurant for people to sample Cajun cuisine if they are unfamiliar with it as the small plates don't require the financial commitment of Acadia, for example.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and atmosphere both need workOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/21/2014We tried this restaurant on a Friday night. When we walked in the noise was almost deafening. This is not a place you want to go for a quiet meal and good conversation. The food was incredibly middle of the raod Pork belly skewers that were mushy and soft. Rillades and Grits that were bland and uneventful and last but most importantly the Beignets were tough and leathery. Not a very good dining experience all around. I would be willing to put up woth the atmosphere if the food were better.
- food was great!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/21/2014Food was great, but the service was mediocre. Just unfriendly. We we're seated next to a loud group (this is the second time we were there) and they accommodated us by allowing us to move. But the volume was still extremely loud and hard to hear the other party your with. Wish something could be done about thatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fit for a Southern VegetarianabbyraeDined on 11/14/2014Being from the south and a vegetarian, it is always difficult to connect with my roots through food. Tapalya was so much fun for me because they serve southern style food with a gourmet twist and have vegetarian choices. I is also very affordable and very delicious! We went because of Chinook book but we WILL be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quick trip to the Big EasyVelma716Dined on 10/24/2014A warm, inviting atmosphere with great food and service. You can pick from a wide range of dishes which are fun to share; or not :) The high wood ceilings absorb noise so though it was bustling, I could hear my table mates and servers. Service was uniquely good for Portland. Our server was knowledgeable about the food, made some great suggestions, and checked in on a regular basis. Food came out as was ready and we enjoyed sharing a number of dishes. We thought the prices were reasonable. ($145 for 9 dishes and 2 bottles of wine). We really enjoyed our evening and will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delish!DaniepdxDined on 10/4/2014Everything we had was amazing. Except for the coconut pork. It wasn't good at all, in our opinion. But the service, drinks, and all of our other dishes were AMAZING!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Way to Get to Know CreoleDolleeduckDined on 9/27/2014The food was stellar. We loved the crawfish and grits, awesome. The fried chicken was great. Only drawback was that it took awhile to get our drinks, but because of the food, we didn't mind.Special Features:
- Exceptionally awesomeSuperblueVIPDined on 9/18/2014We shared the fried green tomatoes (perfectly crispy and fresh with cornmeal), pork belly chunks on a stick (tender, really tasty) and the red beans and rice (pretty spicy, I prefer a bit milder). They had a three piece jazz band playing, adding to the delightful experience. I didn't think I liked jazz. Changed my mind. The service was pleasant and efficient. It's a small place, so ocassionally you're sitting pretty close to others, but even still, it is worth it. Probably not the best place for small children, set up for more of an adult scene/experience. This was our first visit and we plan to go again as soon as we can.Special Features:
- Another lovely eveningSprilDined on 9/14/2014We introduced our party of nine to Tapalaya and everyone loved it. We enjoyed drinks and dinner then succumbed to dessert. Service was great and our waiter offered to split tabs for us. Love the small plates, and the extra bowls on the table let us taste and share with each other.Special Features:
- It was a GREAT EXPERIENCE!!!WayneWakaDined on 8/29/2014This was the first time we ate here! Everyone was very friendly and service was GREAT! Kelly was our server...she was FANTASTIC!!! It was nice to tray many different dishes. We tried like 20 Different things. You need to really need to check this place out!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/22/2014This truly is a neighborhood gem! My partner and I came to find this place as a suggestion on YELP! I am so glad we decided to try it out. Usually he doesn't go for the really "spicy" stuff that cajun/creole food is known for. But, this was OUTSTANDING. Just the right amount of spice to enlighten your palate, but at the same time not overpower it. Service was amazing as well. Highly recommend and we WILL be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food and musictrlambDined on 8/19/2014Four of us dined on a Tuesday evening, when Reggie Houston was playing. We sampled at about 7 items from the happy hour and regular menus. All the food was tasty, and the service was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cajun11goose19VIPDined on 8/18/2014The menu listing is better than the actual execution. This was our first visit to Tapalaya. At noon we were the only table being served. The food is average. The pulled pork Po'boy sandwiches were ordinary. However the black eyed pea salad was well prepared.
- First timenew2pdxDined on 8/14/2014A group of 6 of us had dinner for the first time here on a Thursday. Food was great - service was attentive - and music was outstandingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/1/2014My wife and I have dined here before and really loved the place. We decided to come here a 2nd time for our first date night in a few weeks; we just recently had a newborn and haven't been out much! The service was excellent (Waitress was Laura), the food was excellent (try the BBQ Pork Belly Skewers - absolutely amazing) and the overall staff and atmosphere was excellent. We highly recommend this place to eat at - lots of great choices using small plates. They have great happy hour options too!Special Features:
- The following 182 reviews are from the Tapalaya reviews archive.
- Dinner after visit to museum!nortonDined on 7/19/2014Great atmosphere and authentic Cajun food. Had dinner with friends after visiting Portland Museum.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real taste of New OrleansSoutherntransplantDined on 7/17/2014Amazing food, friendly and attentive service, delicious, inventive drinks, and fun, eclectic atmosphere. Truly a neighborhood gem, worth a drive across town; one of our favorite spots for a fun, casual night out. Have never had anything we didn't like, but the favorites that call us back again and again are the risotto jambalaya, fried chicken (drizzle on a little of the Bourbon pecan syrup!), crawfish étouffée, red beans and rice, and crawfish Monica. Labeled as "small plates" but unless you're really hungry 2-3 to share per person is ample. Highly recommend trying the margarita with house-made cucumber vodka. The cucumber taste w/ the salt and sweet-sour of the margarita are a perfect sip of refreshing flavor! Great mint juleps, too!Special Features:
- Easy DiningWestSideDined on 7/5/2014Small plate approach to Cajun dining. My wife and I enjoyed the chance to mix and match the dishes. Many vegetarian options for traditionally not vegetarian Cajun dishes. We chose 7 for the two of us. That was more than enough, but we couldn't pass up the cornbread.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never a bite thats not perfectOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/26/2014Tapalaya is consistently the best food I ever eat. Every single item is cooked and flavored perfectly. This food is unlike anything else in Portland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- <3 TapalayaOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/7/2014My husband and I live near 28th St., and Tapalaya is easily one of our favorite restaurants. We had our wedding dinner here this past weekend while our family was in town, and my parents can't wait to go back. The fried okra and chicken are my favorite items on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tapas@TapalayaYumkdfavesDined on 5/30/2014We couldn't stop at just a few little bites! Delicious pork belly skewers and the Grillades and Grits we moved on to Rissoto Jambalaya...the 4 of us kept ordering & sharing til we couldn't eat any more:) hmmm I think we'll be going back there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Southern ComfortKatmanducDined on 5/24/2014Every dish we ordered was a winner. It was like eating in a Louisiana small town café with wonderful surprises. We ate family style so we could all try the different dishes. Who knew I would love fried okra.Special Features:
- New Orleans has competition !DiningDezDined on 5/23/2014I've been to New Orleans several times over the years and your food is authentic and does not disappoint . The drinks are delicious .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingPoshDined on 5/11/2014This is a gem of a neighborhood restaurant!!! The. Food was excellent and service attentive. It was a great choice for a Mother's Day celebration. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedNot4bdayDined on 5/6/2014My son and husband took me there for my birthday in 2013 and we had a wonderful time. I took my husband for his birthday last week 2014 and it was horrible. Really rude servers.Special Features:
- Wait staffluvdajazzDined on 5/6/2014Could practice friendly. Asked waitress what was on tap and she replied its up there! Up there was a small blackboard hanging on a post with 4 beers scribbled on it. The waiter never smiled.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulwebfootDined on 5/1/2014Went for a birthday dinner. Food was great as was the music. Would highly recommend.Special Features:
- Consistent excellenceBevaruDined on 4/29/2014I never know which pleases me more - the scrumptious food or the excellent music of Reggie Houston and Janice Scroggins. Both satisfy and leave you smiling!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Southern DelightJonesDAVIPDined on 4/26/2014Food and service was on point. We ordered a variety of dishes and was not disappointed.Special Features:
- Better Than I ThoughtOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/26/2014This was my first time to TapaIaya with my fiancée and close friends and their 3 children. Our reservation was made through OpenTable for 7 o'clock. This place was a bit loud, but most places on a Saturday would be. We loved the idea of small plates and enjoyed the variety of foods to our choosing as we, children included, are big eaters. It was priced fairly well and the food was cooked to order. Being said that, the food came out relatively fast. Overall, I would recommend it. As I would tell anyone, just try it once and decide for yourself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 4/25/2014This was our first visit. Everything we tried was amazing! The portions are just the right size and great authentic flavors. And the desserts are AMAZING! We will back (again and again)Special Features:
- Ok servicejoonbiVIPDined on 4/25/2014I have dined at this place a few times. The service was always pretty good. For some reason on this night the service was really bad. The waitress didn't bring 2 items that we ordered. When I asked our waitress when our corn bread and Mac and cheese were coming out, she said she didn't hear us order them. We ordered the 2 food items again and waited and waited for the food to come out. It never came. When I asked her where our food was she apologized and stated she forgot to tell the cook. We left still hungry and disappointed. I will be back because the previous times I dined at this place the service was pretty good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing but AWESOMEreluctantfoodieDined on 4/22/2014Have been here twice, with groups, GREAT Happy hour treats, happy prices, and Laura is one of the most AWESOME waitresses in Portland, just makes you feel at home and does a fantastic job taking care of everything our group needed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good place.JohnBVIPDined on 4/5/2014This was our second visit. I think we are going to add it to our short list of favorite places. The first time wasn't a fluke. Love the Creole tapas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fun experienceWhitneyDined on 4/4/2014Good food - no complaints there. Service was awful - pretty sure she was stoned. Constantly forgot our drinks and food items. Had to flag her down repeatedly to get refills, etc. She could have pushed the drinks and upped the bill and her tip. Very disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time visitBethDined on 4/4/2014So delicious. Will definitely be back. Awesome fast service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Festive Evening at TapalayaDrinkyVIPDined on 3/25/2014The food at Tapalaya never disappoints - our favorite meal is a fried shrimp po' boy and any version of the vegetarian jambalaya. The jambalaya changes based on what seasonal veggies are fresh & plentiful - this time it was kale with roasted cauliflower and brussels sprouts. The serving is perfect for sharing. Tapalaya's mint julep is perfectly balanced - just the right amount of booze & sweetness. We can never have just one. Our server, Laura, was delightful, and the music was excellent - if you like good jazz, go on a Tuesday when Reggie Houston and Janice Scroggins are playing.Special Features:
- Lively place, lively foodTariVIPDined on 3/22/2014A great time. Lots of fun food, with plenty of vegetarian and gluten free options. Kelly was an excellent server. We will definitely return. Best Cajun food I've had outside of New Orleans.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mostly good Cajun & CreolebuzzDined on 3/22/2014The étouffée was only fair. It was watery and tomato based rather than roux based. Everything else was great especially the fried food which was excellent. Great flavor and not greasy. Our server was outstanding! Very informative and attentive. She took extra care of our guest whose English wasn't great. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- Secret LunchilexDined on 3/16/2014Very quiet at lunchtime on a Sunday! The portions are smallish (I mean, they are officially small plates), but the food is good. I didn't see what all the fuss is about the mac and cheese. Tasty, but pretty standard. The fried oysters were delicious. Our waitperson was on top of it and cleared dishes as we emptied them. No dessert options, but there's a gelato place a block or two down.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.