Taormina Sicilian Cuisine
227 Lewers St.
Honolulu, HI 96814Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Taormina Sicilian Cuisine
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://taorminarestaurant.com/
- Phone: (808) 926-5050
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Sunday - Saturday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Aki Yamamoto
- Dress Code: Formal Attire
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Taormina Sicilian Cuisine
From the simple to the exotic, the showcased daily selections of Antipasti Misti (before the meal) include Palermo Style Caponata, Marinated Sweet Shrimp and Baby Octopus and Artichokes. Featured meals include Seafood Risotto, Grilled Tuna, Grilled Lamb Chops "Palermo" and Veal "Siciliana." Taormina's specialty dish is Uni Pasta (sea urchin), a delicacy enjoyed in Japan and Italy. Italian espressos compliment Dolci (dessert) selections of Vanilla Gelato with Espresso, Homemade Baked Pannacotta and Tiramisu. Inspired by authentic Sicilian recipes from the kitchens of Southern Italy's seaside town of Taormina, Chef Akira Yamamoto pairs fresh pastas with the highest quality seafoods and meats. Unspoiled by heavy sauces, Sicilian-style pastas are dressed in pure, extra virgin olive oil. Fresh vegetables, lightly grilled fish, and lamb seasoned with herbs offer diners a healthy range of options.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Taormina Sicilian Cuisine - Best Restaurants in Honolulu ›
Taormina Sicilian Cuisine reviews from OpenTable diners
81 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (43)special occasion (43)romantic (36)notable wine list (29)great for lunch (20)neighborhood gem (13)great for outdoor dining (11)hot spot (10)good for groups (7)late-night find (5)scenic view (4)kid-friendly (3)vibrant bar scene (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- great environmentsunshinek79Dined on 11/21/2014would be a great place for the couple to celebrate their anniversary. Tried their 60 dollor menu and was pretty good. Waiter was very attentive and helpful when it comes to the menu and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- By far the best dinning experience in Honolulu.BaxterDined on 11/19/2014Don't let the fact that this is right in the heart of Tourist Area....once you're inside and seated you forget the outside madness and enjoy an extremely elegant, calm, 5 star dinning experience! From the menu, wine list, service and quality of dishes.....will certainly come again and recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome RestaurantRoboDined on 11/18/2014Wonderful Restaurant Week menu, a must! Make you reservation if you haven't already. Great wines, busy yet quiet enough to hear each other. MahaloSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A magical place!1NitPickerDined on 11/12/2014From the moment we got to the restaurant to the last bite of delish tiramisu it was a magical ride. We had the best table overlooking the busy street that is in front of the well-appointed eatery. The service was top-flight. We decided to have the tasting menu so we got a bit of everything. To be honest, I can't remember all of the courses, but I know it was beautifully presented and tasty! This is a destination place on the island of Oahu...Recommend BIG time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NiceNappDined on 11/4/2014very romantic ambiance and tasty dish。 I love "uni" pasta. My doughter loves pomodoro. service is also good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!DineblogDined on 11/3/2014We came in straight from a catamaran sailing and had a great late lunch. We ordered the lunch special for $21/ per person, which included an espresso cup of a very tasty cold pea soup, a very petite spinach salad, and good portion of pasta. The combination was perfect and the wine we ordered complemented the pasta entrees. We sat inside, although, there should there are ample outside seating. Oahu is such a resort town that there is no dress code for dining. I would certainly go back again.Special Features:
- Toarmina promises much, BUT...ANDineDined on 11/1/2014Second visit to this restaurant was very disappointing as service was non existent! Food was fine but don't go for the seafood risotto... not great!
- Special OccasionsfoodforthoughtDined on 10/25/2014Great night out and was not disappointed. Good for special night out and expected to pay more. Pasta Nero Yum! Antipasti was thoughtfully presented. Our waiter was knowledgeable and friendly. Desserts were just ok.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & wine...ANDineDined on 10/20/2014Torino is a great destination for foodies and wine lovers. Service is excellent and knowledgeable. Recommend highly. Seating is rather more fitted for outdoor dining Not Fine Dining which I feel Torino definitely is.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/15/2014We have been meaning to come to Taormina for years, but the Waikiki traffic was always problematic. However, we finally made it and we were amazed. This place is a gem. Honolulu has always been lacking in good Italian restaurants. But Taormina makes up for all that. As good as the best back in San Francisco.Special Features:
- E semplicemente il miglioreOinkerVIPDined on 10/15/2014We appreciate the high food quality, flavors, fabulous service with their attention to detail and ambiance. Our server, Stan, paced our meal from start to finish. In other words, he gave us time to savor and relax in between courses. He expertly described ingredients and gave a bit of advice about the flavors that we were going to experience. We were thrilled with his attentiveness, efficiency and professionalism. My husband's favorite fresh pasta is their spaghetti with sea urchin.They use an opulent amount of fresh sea urchin. I ordered the fresh squid ink linguine with mixed shellfish. This Italian/Mediterranean dish is hallmarked by its use of shellfish, tomatoes, garlic and olive oil. Both dishes were rich, decadent yet rustic.Special Features:
- Great dinnerMkPkDined on 10/6/2014We made reservations and had dinner, it was a party of 4 adults, we decided to get the taste and we were all vary happy with that selection. All courses were very good. Would eat here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding cuisineSweetsinger26Dined on 9/20/2014Taormina's dinner was exquisite. Appetizers were perfect, cocktails well balanced, entrees fresh and delicious, and desserts were just right. Not too salty, not too sweet anywhere. Not too rich, but everything was just right for Sicilian cuisine. We would run back this evening if we didn't have to fly homeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerAustralian14Dined on 9/20/2014Most disappointing from previous visit. No salt or pepper on table, had to ask waiter for Parmesan cheese for pasta. The pasta dish contained 3 shrimps very poor. Would have to seriously consider dining there again. Would hesitate to recommend to other international visitors.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful AgainDiverDownDined on 9/13/2014Second time and just as wonderful as the first. I love that the menu differs, and with a plethora of fantastic seafood restaurants in Hawaii, Taormina still does it best. Don't forget the meat section, my filet was perfectly done. As someone who is dairy and gluten free, this is an Italian restaurant that I can go to and have tons of choices, although the pasta list is extensive for those who love a great pasta. Will be here again, probably in a month or so. PS. Marcus, your the bomb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved The Restaurant!NYCDinerVIPDined on 9/6/2014This was our first time dining here and we love everything about this restaurant, the service, the food, & the ambience was outstanding! We look forward to returning!
- Good food but bad serviceperazderaDined on 8/21/2014Taormina used to be our favorite restaurant in Waikiki (three years in a row). First time it was an exceptional experience - food, atmosphere, service. Last year it was OK, but something was missing as compared to the first time. This year, it was not worth the $$$$ rating. While the food was still great (although missing some of the excellent items from two years ago), the service was very slow and disorganized. We had a reservation for 8:30 pm, arrived 5-6 minutes early, and were left waiting for 25 minutes in a small crowded area where people were coming in and out. Then the waitress forget to bring one of our cocktail drinks and we had to wait a long time for the main dish after the appetizers. Just a disappointing experience overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Uni pasta!mkivDined on 8/17/2014We had the pre-fixe menu. 5 courses but the most notable definitely had to be the uni pasta! I had heard so much about it from my foodie fiends and was pleasantly surprised that the dish lived up to all the hype. Other than that, house wine was great. The salad, soup, and ahi were not memorable. Ended the night on a high note with their tiramisu and home made gelato. That was decadent! Overall, atmosphere was perfect for a romantic date night. There's just something to be said about an old school candlelight dinner.Special Features:
- Authentic yet creativeblurmanicsDined on 8/13/2014One of the best restaurants in Waikiki. the wine list is great too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For was prepared very wellEstherincognitoDined on 8/13/2014We had an excellent experience here. Our server was very attentive and every course was delicious. I had an excellent salad and my husband had the minestrone. He loved the soup. Then we split the lobster pasta. The sauce and the lobster were great. Finally he had the duck breast which was flavorful and cooked to perfection. I had King salmon and it was cooked perfectly and truly delicious. We enjoyed the bread offerings too. We will return next time in Honolulu.Special Features:
- Great Lunch Spot, Reasonable PriceCynthiaVIPDined on 8/10/2014The place was relatively empty for lunch which made it quiet and relaxing. I was surprised at how reasonable the lunch prices were for fine dining. Everything was delicious and the service was pretty good. The only complaint I had was we get a big plate with olive oil and one slice of bread each. The waiter said he'd give us more later but never offered it to us again. My mom was a little surprised to see all the bread laying across empty tables and someone doing what looked like accounting in the dining area. It's obvious they don't have much space in the restaurant so it didn't bother me too much. I'd go back again for lunch juat because I think I'd feel claustrophobic if the place was full (which I assume it is for dinner time).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nursery.jackVIPDined on 8/5/2014Girls at the table right beside us were so noisy....
- Great MealTHamVIPDined on 8/2/2014The squid ink linguine and prime tenderloin w/foie gras were excellent. A little pricey, but thats Waikiki.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food, fabulous wait staffHawaiiVacaDined on 8/1/2014Taormina offers an amazing meal set at two different prices and both are to die for along with offering items a la cart. For the meal sets, each serving is small so you don't feel too full at the end of the meal but every item served was delicious. The molten lava cake for desert was absolutely to die for. Best food and drinks we've had in Waikiki.Special Features:
- The following 479 reviews are from the Taormina Sicilian Cuisine reviews archive.
- Nice Pasta LunchjackVIPDined on 7/29/2014You can eat best pasta around waikiki and if you visit during lunch time, for much less price. However, service here was not perfect. I should have look around, waited and call somebody if something is needed.Special Features:
- Fabulous ItalianPinotPaulVIPDined on 7/28/2014Probably as good as it gets. A bit on the pricy side. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Terrible ManagementLoveToGrindDined on 7/26/2014Was forced to dine outside on a hot and humid night. Was left no choice, no options. Was never told on the phone, when we added a 5th diner that we would have to sit outside. But was told by the management we have to make a specific request to dine inside. Was told "take it or you can dine elsewhere". Assistant manager was no help and had plenty of attitude. So did the hostess. Dining outside is a very bad location with no a/c, lots of noise from buses, cars, trucks right next to where you sit.
- Memorable eveningIlovefoodDined on 7/26/2014Memorable because the food- husband and I both had the tasting menu ($100&$70)- wonderful way to experience Taormina cuisine for first timers. Overall excellent especially the beef tenderloin but was disappointed at the crunchy texture of their funghi w/ foie gras risotto. The pea soup was surprising delicious. Memorable also because we were seated near the entrance and witnessed a " tiff" between the hostess and patron. Surprising that this was not handled more professionally. The tables are also very close to each other therefore can be not as romantic as one would desire.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodsKuniDined on 7/19/2014We really enjoyed foods in Taormina. Every single dishes were great and tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst receptionistWijnbrugstraatDined on 7/18/2014This restaurant does not know what is " Reservation ". I had booked at 18:30 because their system showed their available time as18:30 or 20:00. I arrived at 18:30, but she told that they had no table (but a small,confined one was free) . We waited 15 minutes, then she told " this table" and pointed the confined table. I will never be again.
- Lunch deal is amazingMarissaVIPDined on 7/18/2014We ordered the lunch pasta specials. They come with an appetizer (in our case, a yummy fresh salad), a "chilled pea soup shooter", a regular portion of pasta, and a scoop of gelato. Amazing deal. I had the crab tagliatelle in a slightly spicy sauce (SO GOOD! pasta was perfectly al dente and crab tasted not-too-crabby if you know what I mean) and my husband had the salmon/mushroom cream sauce. Yum! Two kinds of freshly baked bread to start (always a good sign) and our server was kind and attentive. I wish I remembered her name.Special Features:
- Pasta is truly exceptionalOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/13/2014As others have noted, the pasta dishes are unbelievably fresh, the pasta is cooked perfectly, and the sauces are generously applied. We have a terrific meal.Special Features:
- Best PastaAuctioDined on 7/9/2014My wife and I very recently enjoyed dinner here; we could not choose between pastas so we ordered three (2 as an entree and one as a main). We shared them all. We have to say the pasta was one of the best we have ever consumed. Squid ink was amazing, truffle carbonara gorgeous, as was the pork bolognese - (a little surprise which was not actually on the menu!) We have traveled a bit around the world and we call ourselves foodies. This is clearly one of the finest restaurants in Hawaii.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great way to finish up in WaikikidrSJCDined on 7/7/2014We came to Taormina on the last night of a week in Oahu on a friend's recommendation & we're not disappointed. Food quality, taste, presentation & options were great (we had 2 fussy teenagers), service very attentive & friendly but not intrusive. It was a fitting end to a great time on the island.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable Italian dining experiencebeanies2208Dined on 6/27/2014We chose your restaurant for our last night in Waikiki after experiencing some wonderful meals all week long. What a way to end the week! The food and service were outstanding. We shared 2 appetisers between 4 of us and then 3 of the group had different pasta dishes and I had the chicken in a butter sauce with vegetables. All meals were beautiful. If you are looking for authentic Italian flavours this is the place to go in Waikiki.Special Features:
- Best Pasta in WaikikiLuvNYCDined on 6/24/2014I have started to come to Taormina 5 years ago, and although the management has changed since, the quality of food stays the same and I am very happy every time I dine here. It's a shame to have to rebuild the relationship with people who work there again, as no one recognizes me anymore, but the service is not so bad. There are a few new Italian restaurants that opened up in Honolulu, but this restaurant will always be my first choice!Special Features:
- Service made the mealTwinkleVIPDined on 6/21/2014Many if the tables were crammed together but the restaurant accommodated our request for a private table & it was great. Husband loved the lasagna casserole. My squid ink frutti di mare was good but not the most flavorful I've ever had. Still -- a good experience! Too bad dinner parking cost $6+tip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible Service and foodCampbellVIPDined on 6/19/2014We canceled our reservations at another restaurant so that we could enjoy this restaurant for a second time during out vacation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible Service and foodCampbellVIPDined on 6/15/2014This would be one of Honolulu's best restaurant! The Food was incredible and the service was perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Little Itallian RestaurantCUatdinnerDined on 6/13/2014Not your typical Italian fair. So if you are looking for average spaghetti and meatballs this is not the place for you. The dishes a great flair to them but may not be to everyones taste so you may want to check the menu on line. We found it very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.