42 East 58th Street
New York, NY 10022Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.taorestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2128882288
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday – Sunday: 11:30am – 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday – Wednesday: 5:00pm- 12:00am, Thursday – Saturday: 5:00pm – 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Pan-Asian, Asian
- Executive Chef: John Villa
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Enjoy TAO classics catered to the venue of your choice. Our off-premise catering services range from a small drop off and set up for 10 people, to an off-premise event for thousands. TAO signature dishes, including our famous Chilean Sea Bass, Kung Pao Chicken, Wasabi Crusted Filet Mignon, Coconut Shrimp, and our wide selection of Sushi, will be delivered right to your door. Use us for your next birthday celebration, office luncheon, family gathering, or Super Bowl party. Always a Happy Ending!
- Special Events: For all parties of 15 or more please inquire with our banquet department at 212-399-3097.
A word from Tao Uptown
A 16-foot Buddha, which floats above a reflecting pool filled with Japanese carp, presides over the scene at Tao. A favorite destination for celebrities and athletes, this Pan Asian restaurant specializes in authentic Hong Kong Chinese, Japanese and Thai cuisines. Tao has three levels of dining including the prized "Skybox" which offers views of this former movie theater unparalleled in New York. In addition to its 300 seats, Tao includes a sushi bar, lounge and two bars at which to enjoy the food and the show. Appetizers range from $8 - $18; Entrees: $16 -$39. Offering $27.50 Prix Fixe Lunch Menu year round.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAsian
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Tao Uptown - Best Restaurants in Midtown East ›
Tao Uptown reviews from OpenTable diners
825 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelEnergetic
hot spot (435)special occasion (384)good for groups (380)vibrant bar scene (315)fit for foodies (275)late-night find (202)romantic (197)great for lunch (127)neighborhood gem (97)scenic view (80)notable wine list (44)great for outdoor dining (35)kid-friendly (30)great for brunch (29)Show More
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/16/2014Food and service was fabulous. However it is very noisy - difficult to have a conversation with your partner. Techno music took away from the ambience. Tables way to close together. Can't request the booths for 2 people - although there were only 2 people in some of the booths.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow Tao - Always greatBonitaDined on 10/16/2014Love it, love it, love it. One of my very favorites. Went with a large group - everyone very impressed with surroundings, food, ambiance, etc. I requested a large round table for our group. We were given a magnificent table with a very large lazy susan in the middle - great for sampling dishes. We arrived at 12:30 for lunch and were seated almost immediately. Everyone ordered the luncheon special - a great deal. We were not rushed and we found ourselves lingering over our delicious food. We left at almost 3. I can't wait to return and I love to introduce this extraordinary restaurant to others as my friends think I'm a genius when they go here with me!Special Features:
- Not our best dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/15/2014Cavernous space, mediocre Asian favorites served fast. Hoped for better.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/14/2014Food was just ok. Service was badly timed and much too fast. Waiter removed my wine glass with the remainder of my wine still in it. A definite no-no. Won't rush back.Special Features:
- Mixed ReviewsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/13/2014After dining at Tao at least a half dozen times, the most recent experience can be described as extremely disappointing. Previous times have been a mixture of business and pleasure and on the whole pretty good. When queried the hostess that if we could sit at our table with 3 of our 4 guests having arrived was told, NO you to wait until everyone arrives, and you can wait at the bar! Not being a bar person I found this extremely irritating. The service was extremely poor with the waiter with his cavalier attitude having to be asked multiple times for the correct drinks; silverware etc.Special Features:
- Will ReturnRobertDined on 10/13/2014Went to Tao with my wife for our anniversary and had a wonderful meal. We were able to eat and enjoy the atmosphere. The staff is on top of things with accurate recommendations and a helpful attitude. I already have plans to return for a birthday with more friends.Special Features:
- Great as alwaysadynutza1976Dined on 10/12/2014Love the food on Midtown comparing with Tao Downtown which is really bad and different. Midtown Tao is the best... Service, food and ambiance really great. The only issue that we always have is whenever i made reservation for a certain time we can never be seatted at the reservation time and we end up waiting with a pager in our hand at least another half hour. This is really unacceptable and you have to do something about it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Uptown Tao - a NYC gemcentralparkozVIPDined on 10/12/2014From the time you enter through the wooden doors, Tao is a visual feast . It has a wow factor and is fun to take our international friends. The food is outstanding and despite the fact we have thousands of restaurants in NYC , we find ourselves back there almost weekly..Special Features:
- Amazing Restaurant!AmandaDined on 10/11/2014It was my first trip to NYC and this was the first restaurant we went to on a Saturday night and me and my friends LOVED it! Such a great atmosphere. The room looked amazing, the big buddha statue in the room was so gorgeous as was the ceiling decor. I loved the drummer that was walking around, he was making it so lively for everyone. We did have to wait for our table eventhough we had made reservations but I did not mind at all as we waited in the bar side which was very vibrant. I just wish the bar side was a bit more open as it was a small space but a lot of people. Also the bartender lady was pretty rude to some of my friends, she really needs to change her attitude considering that everyone else at that restaurant is so nice!Special Features:
- 21st at TAOOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014Celebrated my 21st birthday at TAO. Big Thanks to TAO, it was an amazing night and all of my friends enjoyed it. The food was delicious and the whole scene was one of a kind. The service was really fast but not in the way that you would get the feeling of 'leave as soon as you can'. I'll definitely come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- greate place bad service areceptionJAGRDined on 10/11/2014Greate dinner..bad service at the reception (hostess)Special Features:
- Poor reservationsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014We made a 945 reservation and didn't get our table until a hour later.
- Useless to reserve via opentableOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 10/10/2014I reserved the table and arrived ten minutes early. They gsve me the table 50 minutes later. Unacceptable. The service later was very bad too.
- Long waitOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014I had a 7:45 reservation for 8 people. We were not sat at our table until after 9:00. I was very frustrated with the long wait. While there was no where to sit and wait. After the long wait. I was not overly impressed by the food. The sushi I ordered, is the same sushi you can buy pre made at whole foods.
- Great experience overallJaiLoDined on 10/10/2014This place was highly recommended and I had heard a lot about it so I was excited to be finally going for the first time. We had an early dinner reservation so we were one of a few parties seated in the dining area, which allowed us to take some pictures with the huge Buddha. The atmosphere was definitely "energetic". There's music playing throughout the dining area and the numerous conversations going on, it is loud but not too loud that you get annoyed. With the dining area dimly lit, it balances out the loudness so it can still be a romantic place for a couple on a date. The food overall, I rated it a 4 out of 5 stars. A couple of dishes were on the dry side. Everything else was delish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great apps, great sharingrhonalynnVIPDined on 10/10/2014Business lunch right in the neighborhood. Ordered multiples of apps which are their best".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the visitksk1Dined on 10/9/2014Great food and good service. The Buddha statute elevates the ambiance.Special Features:
- Love it here!!NYCfoodieDined on 10/9/2014Huge fan! Definitely recommend the appetizer the barbecue spare ribs that are amazing they practically fall off the bone when you bite them! Best leche martinis! Everything I ate was incredible! Also finished off the meal with the Banana pudding which was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Asiatic Food!AndyDined on 10/8/2014The food is fantastic , with many asiatic different options and the place is really fantastic !I loved it!Special Features:
- The chicken was like havenZanaDined on 10/8/2014I loved the spicy chicken that I ordered! I never thought it could tast like that, that was magic! My friend chose the orange chicken ans they loved it to. And we hade a great, funny guy how was serving us 😊 I hope I have the time to come back and I already told all my friends about it. Delicious ! Thank you / 3 Swedish girls 💋Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Festive w/ Great FoodTXmeDined on 10/7/2014Tao has been around awhile, and you might think it would tire. It doesn't. Always festive and vibrant atmosphere, and the food top notch...was with a group, and ordered a variety of appetizers and main dishes, and each was stellar. Service was especially good, with a lovely and thoughtful server taking very good care of our group.Special Features:
- Four StarsDJMarlo1Dined on 10/7/2014The Atmosphere was very romantic and my date was more than amazed with the look of the place itself. We were pleased with the service, drink and the prices were okay. I will recommend this place for any special occasion, group events, brunch and for a romantic evening with someone special.Special Features:
- Great for Long working lunchxio9VIPDined on 10/7/2014Great value lunch!! Especially during the week. Atmosphere is very relaxed and entertaining!Special Features:
- Best restaurant in townAverageDined on 10/6/2014I simply adore their food. The ambiance is just stunning and service was excellent. I pre-ordered a molten cake to celebrate my guest's birthday and it couldn't be more perfect. Thanks!Special Features:
- Great Asian foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/6/2014Met my daughter and sister her for dinner, this is my 5 th visit since 2001. Tao is always on my " go to " list for dining and glad to say quality if food and service still is great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Noise and FoodtrhamDined on 10/6/2014This is a jammed packed with people at multiple levels---excellent service and food. Decor---well vacuous and not very intimateSpecial Features:
- Quality SurpriseNYCRunnerBeanVIPDined on 10/6/2014Outstanding on all counts. Tables are far enough apart you can hold a civilized conversation. Food portions were the right size with quality A+Special Features:
- Generous portionsGrizzzfanVIPDined on 10/6/2014The fix price lunch for $27 is a good deal -- the chicken salad appetizer might have been an entree on its own, the BBQ steak was also good and I could barely touch the fries, and the parfait finished it nicely. It was a bit quiet on a Monday lunch but still excellent atmosphere and above average service.Special Features:
- AwesomecJwiseDined on 10/5/2014I took my girlfriend her for 34th birthday. Everything was great staff, food,environment. Very lovely resturant decor is stunning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingIngaDined on 10/5/2014Me and my husband had an outstanding dinner at Tao uptown. We will recomend to all our friends. Worth the visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 51 anniversaryJojoDined on 10/4/2014First time in this restaurant . very good service, very nice place !! , You should open Tao in Montreal :) ..................................................................................................................................................... 11:30 was a little bit late but food was excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousJulieDined on 10/4/2014Second time visiting Tao last was in 2012, way to long to visit this place! The bar, food, staff and the ambiance all are amazing!! Best mojitos I've had and by far the BEST banana pudding ever!! Will not be waiting another 2 years to come back to TAOSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Asian Food!!!!NavtaDined on 10/4/2014This is a nice and Trendy / Hip type of place. It's nice for a date, business related, or just a group of friends. The overall space is pretty cool, with high ceilings, allowing for a gigantic Buddha statue. Very crowded, so request seating upstairs. Its very loud and expensive, but the food was awesome. You wont be able to get a table without reservations.Special Features:
- Celebrating BirthdayBirthdayAndMoreDined on 10/4/2014This was my 2nd time at TAO, again for a birthday. My birthday was celebrated here and then I took my mother for hers. Beautiful, nice ambiance, delicious food. Their signature fortune cookie dessert is a Must for birthdays or anytime! It's amazing to look at, and the taste of the vanilla and chocolate mousse with fresh fruit and the cookie shell is the icing on the cake at Tao. The food is delicious with beautiful presentation. I'd go back again and again.Special Features:
- Good food but maynot go againNanoDined on 10/3/2014Our resrvation for 3 ppl was at 8:15, and we were seated only at 9:05! Food is good and service is also fine, but go only if you have nowhere to go after!Special Features:
- Great restaurantTinaDined on 9/30/2014A great restaurant with a spectacular dining room. We enjoyed the evening with good service och delicius food.Special Features:
- still hoping after all these yearsOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/30/2014Just a fantastic atmosphere and great food. Lively and fun and service was knowledgeable and attentive Waiting to get seated when it was not full was a bummerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super Average...FleetcatDined on 9/30/2014Nice fusion place but US style rather than authentic (in any way). OK for non important eating but anything else....
- Finneous22Dined on 9/30/2014table set up was a bit odd (shared a long booth with others) and the place seemed noiser than usual for lunch - was difficult to hear my lunch partner. Food as always was goodSpecial Features:
- Oh no TaoMadisonDined on 9/28/2014My wife & I chose to dine at Tao midtown after reading some great reviews on various websites, it was our first Meal in New York after arriving the night before from the UK The decor is amazing,the food is fantastic but the service is very poor and overall this spoilt what could of been a great restaurant experience The attitude of the staff needs a good health check.Special Features: