42 East 58th Street
New York, NY 10022Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.taorestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2128882288
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday – Sunday: 11:30am – 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday – Wednesday: 5:00pm- 12:00am, Thursday – Saturday: 5:00pm – 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Pan-Asian, Asian
- Executive Chef: John Villa
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Enjoy TAO classics catered to the venue of your choice. Our off-premise catering services range from a small drop off and set up for 10 people, to an off-premise event for thousands. TAO signature dishes, including our famous Chilean Sea Bass, Kung Pao Chicken, Wasabi Crusted Filet Mignon, Coconut Shrimp, and our wide selection of Sushi, will be delivered right to your door. Use us for your next birthday celebration, office luncheon, family gathering, or Super Bowl party. Always a Happy Ending!
- Special Events: For all parties of 15 or more please inquire with our banquet department at 212-399-3097.
A word from Tao Uptown
A 16-foot Buddha, which floats above a reflecting pool filled with Japanese carp, presides over the scene at Tao. A favorite destination for celebrities and athletes, this Pan Asian restaurant specializes in authentic Hong Kong Chinese, Japanese and Thai cuisines. Tao has three levels of dining including the prized "Skybox" which offers views of this former movie theater unparalleled in New York. In addition to its 300 seats, Tao includes a sushi bar, lounge and two bars at which to enjoy the food and the show. Appetizers range from $8 - $18; Entrees: $16 -$39. Offering $27.50 Prix Fixe Lunch Menu year round.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAsian
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Tao Uptown - Best Restaurants in Midtown East ›
Tao Uptown reviews from OpenTable diners
845 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelEnergetic
hot spot (441)special occasion (399)good for groups (359)vibrant bar scene (328)fit for foodies (250)romantic (206)late-night find (198)great for lunch (139)neighborhood gem (83)scenic view (83)notable wine list (43)great for outdoor dining (36)great for brunch (34)kid-friendly (26)Show More
- great lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014The lunch menu, was great, awsome food, good service, not expensive, we were very happy about the choiseSpecial Features:
- WONDERFUL!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/15/2014TAO food and atmosphere was incredible!!!! Sushi was delish. Reasonably priced and service was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Oldie but a GoodieGeorgiaLVIPDined on 9/15/2014I first went to Tao Uptown in the early 2000s. It's a great place, very cool, with a fashion executive scene vs. super models. This is a power lunch and dinner spot. The food is delish and the service is great (although one of our entrees seemed to have been forgotten about, once it was cleared up, we were offered something gratis - which was very kind). An excellent experience overall.Special Features:
- Food tasteOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014A lot of the food options are sweet which made it difficult to order. Would appreciate if we have the option to remove the sweet ingredient from the dish. Also, the sushi smelled. Usually I eat sushi and it doesn't smell.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/14/2014Tao is a nice place and we had a wonderful dinner. The food was delicious and the service was spectacular.Special Features:
- OkOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014The food was not bad at all, but nothing special either. These kind of dishes are found for haklf the price at many places and I would have wanted something special to give a higher rating. Service was without complaints and the decour is somethingspecial. I'm not sure if I like it but it's not standard at least...Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerCulinaryislifeDined on 9/13/2014Our server was great, the food could have been better. I loved the dessert and the candles!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FUN! But long waitWineanddineDined on 9/13/2014Made a reservation for 9:30pm, which was already on the later side for me, but it was the only time available. Got there at 9:20, and didn't get seated until 10:05pm. Very disappointing because at that point I was starving, but the food was to die for. The ambiance is awesome, super fun, loud, colorful. The buddha statue is really cool and great to look at. Our waiter was very attentive and helpful for choosing our dishes. Overall, despite the late seating, we had a great time.Special Features:
- AwesomenessLove2eatDined on 9/13/2014I took my husband here for his birthday and I must say it was a perfect choice seating was perfect food was excellent waitress was great! Expect to get your money's worth it's was a must do again for any special occasion the price is high but worth every penny thanks Tao you guys where great!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Each dish was delish!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014I ordered the Grilled Red Snapper with Steamed Bok Choy and Ginger, Kaffir Lime Vinaigrette... I was a little hesitant because I don't normally like Vinaigrettes but the waiter let me know that the lime was very subtle. The dish was very flavorful...my friends also enjoyed their dishes...the table consisted of Diver Sea Scallops with Red Curry and Thai Basil, Soy Ginger Glazed Salmon with Udon Noodles and Spinach, Kung Pao Chicken, and Vegetable Fried Brown Rice. All dishes were great!....trust me, I tried each!..We will definitely be returning!Special Features:
- Delicious DeliciouslhnycDined on 9/13/2014What a completely delicious experience we had at TAO Uptown. Service was superb. Everything on the menu sounded so good but we eventually made a choice...no regrets what so ever. The Pork potstickers are an absolute must. Portions are very generous. Restaurant is well priced. There were groups of young friends, families, sophisticated young couples - so suitable for everyone. I will recommend it to all friends visiting NYC. Wish I was not a 16 hour flight away...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome on So Many Levels!!SquashmanDined on 9/11/2014An awesome restaurant with a true New York vibe. The decor was spectacular, mood vibrant and energetic, food amazing with great selection, and nice service. Highly recommend for first timers or seasoned New York travelers. Can't wait to go back!!!Special Features:
- Simplesmente maravilhosoPaulinhaDined on 9/11/2014Nos simplesmente amamos o Tao! Comida excelente, serviço super eficiente! Ambiente lindo! Baladinha legal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced PF ChangsBazeDined on 9/10/2014I am going to keep this short because it doesn't deserve a long review - Tao is an overpriced, more expensive version of PF Changs. The food is PF Chang quality with a upscale price. Do not listen to anyone who tells you it is good - they do not know what good food tastes like. Service is not great either. I am sure this kind of establishment is cute in Vegas, or maybe LA, but in NY, where you have so many GREAT choices for this price point, why bother?
- GjsantoniGjsantoniVIPDined on 9/10/2014A nice place to visit, good food, good place, to enjoySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SeaNme24Dined on 9/8/2014Fabulous! Great presentation and food was delicious!Special Features:
- TAO RocksSteveNYCVIPDined on 9/8/2014This still happening club-like restaurant was packed on a Monday night. Great vibe, great space. The asian cuisine is OK, not great, but good enough since what you go to Tao for is the experience. And the experience is worth the price.Special Features:
- Beautiful but too noisy2fromCologneDined on 9/8/2014Last year we had a table upstairs where it was less croudy and less noisy. We loved it. This year music downstairs almost hurt. We would expect chillout music (soft "cafe del mar" from Ibiza for example) instead of disco music. We couldn't even talk! Food was fine but not extraordinary. As the olace is beautiful, I would still recommend it to friends - but I would warn them concerning the noise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They had me at hello....lovelynycDined on 9/8/2014Loved the ambiance. The food and device were also top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tao experienceDeniseDined on 9/7/2014Two visits to Tao within a week, both served great food, good vibe and service. Large entree portions. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More than pleased!DirkdigglerDined on 9/7/2014We chose Tao for our one year wedding anniversery dinner and we are so happy that we did! Everyting fell into place that night, the food, the service. We will come back! Carl and Johanna from SwedenSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodDonBVIPDined on 9/7/2014Good food. Wait Staff attentive. Big Buddha overlooking all. .......Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very enjoyable!GeecaDined on 9/6/2014Had a great Dinner experience!!! We were called up to the table at the exact reservation hour! Perfect! Beautiful food, ambience and people!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fab all rounderMicralDined on 9/6/2014Visiting NYC from Ireland and went for my sisters bday. Food was fab atmosphere was kicking and bar had a great vide. Decor was amazing and had a great mixture of people. Would definitely recommend and will be returning the next time I'm in NYC. Fav city and now my new fav restaurant. A must see when visiting NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodMissFoodieDined on 9/6/2014Doesn't matter whether or not u have a reservation. They will still tell u 2 wait at the bar. To buy more drinks of course. This is a very noisy restaurant & when the DJ starts, even noisier. It's very hip & happening here. On 3 levels with a massive Buddha on the ground. Our waiter was excellent and very thorough as hubby is lactose intolerant and the food excellent too. Best duck I've ever had was here. Prices were reasonable too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Spot OnPUCKSK8RDined on 9/6/2014Been several times and Tao never disappoints. Excellent service, great atmosphere and amazing food. Great place to bring out of towners for a NYC dining experience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014I went to Tao in Vegas a few years ago for dinner and I really enjoyed the food and ambiance. The club is also a nightclub as well. Tao in New York is only for dining. I still enjoyed my experience at Tao. Our waitress was really friendly and the food and drinks were great. I had the raspberry Tao mojito (I would recommend that cocktail to a friend). I also suggest making reservations for dinner since it was getting busy by 7:00. Also, while we were eating I recognized Steve Harvey as well. Which was also pretty neat!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for Date/Girl's Night!LauraAlicia91Dined on 9/6/2014The service was absolutely incredible! We didn't wait more than 12 minutes for our food. Our server was DELIGHTFUL & took very good care of us! I took my boyfriend here for his birthday and it was incredible. The decor is romantic, the food was delicious, the drinks were great...I couldn't have picked a better spot to take him! I would 100% recommend this spot to anyone!Special Features:
- BlahDisappointed25Dined on 9/5/2014Terrible compared to downtown but much easier to get a reservation.
- Too touristy and crowdedOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/5/2014My husband and I dined at Tao on a Friday evening, and it was a mad house. They seated us at a tiny corner upstairs where there was virtually no air flow. It was so bad I had to trade seats with my husband. The ambiance is not that of a nice restaurant...it was cheesy like a theme place with a bunch of special occasion people wearing glow in the dark head bands. I was not impressed. Service was adequate, but I did get the feeling that they were just trying to turn tables. Our waiter was really pushing us to order everything at once. That said, the food itself was delicious. The food saved this place from being a total waste of time and money. We won't return.Special Features:
- DellieDellieDined on 9/5/2014Very hip NY spot. At 75 I was the oldest person by about 20 years but still enjoyed the entire experience. Peking duck great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- it is a must...daniDined on 9/4/2014If you come to NY you have to visit this restaurant...it has a great ambiance and it is very nice inside. ...it is not cheap, and sometimes you cant get the best table with view to the Budha...however it is a must in NYC...food is tastySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and food!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/3/2014Tao uptown was amazing!!! Went on a Wednesday during NYFW and the food was good, only gave 3 stars as our appitizer was a little on the salty side. The service was great although we weren't looking for te dish to be removed from out bill the waiter did remove it and I thought it was great of him. I would recommend and go back to Tao uptown! The decor lives up to the LV location exception 'NY' style. The lighting is a little on the dimmer side but not too dark that you can't see around you. There are 2 floors with a great view from the upstairs. Large budda statute in the middle, great photo op and adds to the ambiance. The Tao-hito is my favorite drink there, actually went just for this drink! It's their twist on a mojito.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Asian Fusion meets hipSohoSothoDined on 9/3/2014The service was fast, the staff were accommodating and friendly and oh...the food was amazing. We shared plates and literally everything we had picked off the menu was tasty.Special Features:
- Good food- indifferent serviceMikeDined on 9/3/2014We had a pleasant evening. Food was excellent but the server seemed indifferent and was not terribly helpful.Special Features:
- nice, not impressiveOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/1/2014The food was really good, the waitress was very capable on explaining the menu and the specials. Nice cocktails.Special Features:
- Extremely Good!MKIRDined on 8/31/2014Is the 3rd time I'm on this TAO. Always excellent experience. Service great, decoration excellent, food outstanding-Special Features:
- Good food, too expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/31/2014This place is cool, energetic and very "New York"ish. Food was mostly good.especially the short rib starter. Problem is it is outrageously expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BirthdayMcaciDined on 8/30/2014It was my champagne 30th birthday on August 30th. I added this note to my online reservation and no one acknowledged it. I chose a Dessert even though I didn't want anything, normally when it's a birthday in Toronto they provide a dessert for free.. I would think especially for my 30th champagne birthday.. We spent over 300$ . Although I am sure this is normal bills for Tao, I was expecting better service. Pretty disappointed to be honest.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too massiveAlvaskoDined on 8/29/2014Massive , table never ready on time , we waited 40' to be seated, touristic with no local crowd, uninteresting...